Author Topic: Worst case of jaw-dropping in the known history  (Read 18590 times)

Jolie_kitten

• Cute little thing enjoying life
  • Illegitimi non carborundum
Worst case of jaw-dropping in the known history
« on: March 12, 2010, 12:08:02 PM »
I think I have witnessed the most atrocious manifestation of the quintessential ehell sinner, some years ago.
One of my best friends happens to be the daughter of an important writer, very famous & bestselling in our country. (she doesn't especially want this fact to be known by people she meets, as it is a lot more important to be seen as who she is, rather than as Mr. "Famouswriter"'s daughter.)
Back when we were in high school, we participated into a national school competition; all the participants, from all across the country, were staying at a small hotel in the town where the competition was happenning and we tried our best to befriend each other.
So, there was this guy we gotten into some talk with, and we invited him over to our room to play cards. At one point, he notices my friend's name tag so he inquires: "Oh, are you related to *that* "Famouswriter?" She confirms and he proceeds to ask her about him- so she kind of ends up telling him the story of her family: she lives with her mother, who is divorced from Mr. "Famouswriter" and remarried, but she doesget along well with her father, his new wife and her little half-brother (the new wife's son), as well as with her step-sister (her step-father's daughter from a previous marriage).
So here's when this guy says: Geeee... they're hooking up like crazy, in your family! (actually he used a very ugly word I'm not sure even how to translate- something along the lines of "sl*t-ing around").
You can imagine how our jaws dropped in a fraction of a second, and all we could utter was "Get out! NOW!". May he burn in Etiquette Hell forever!
Where there is cake there is hope. And there is always cake ;)

gibsongirl

Re: Worst case of jaw-dropping in the known history
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 07:28:01 PM »
Woooow.  Crudmonkeys!!

Minmom3

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 09:35:24 PM »
I think I have witnessed the most atrocious manifestation of the quintessential ehell sinner, some years ago.
One of my best friends happens to be the daughter of an important writer, very famous & bestselling in our country. (she doesn't especially want this fact to be known by people she meets, as it is a lot more important to be seen as who she is, rather than as Mr. "Famouswriter"'s daughter.)
Back when we were in high school, we participated into a national school competition; all the participants, from all across the country, were staying at a small hotel in the town where the competition was happenning and we tried our best to befriend each other.
So, there was this guy we gotten into some talk with, and we invited him over to our room to play cards. At one point, he notices my friend's name tag so he inquires: "Oh, are you related to *that* "Famouswriter?" She confirms and he proceeds to ask her about him- so she kind of ends up telling him the story of her family: she lives with her mother, who is divorced from Mr. "Famouswriter" and remarried, but she doesget along well with her father, his new wife and her little half-brother (the new wife's son), as well as with her step-sister (her step-father's daughter from a previous marriage).
So here's when this guy says: Geeee... they're hooking up like crazy, in your family! (actually he used a very ugly word I'm not sure even how to translate- something along the lines of "sl*t-ing around").
You can imagine how our jaws dropped in a fraction of a second, and all we could utter was "Get out! NOW!". May he burn in Etiquette Hell forever!

Good response.  I wonder how many families have multiple blendings like that?  It could be in the millions, (even just here in the U.S.) it wouldn't surprise me at all.  For him to make a judgment like that, when it's as common as dirt, so to speak, is appalling. Let alone to say that to teenagers!  How multiply offensive of him.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

BeagleMommy

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 09:11:03 AM »
Holy moley!  After you threw him out he probably wandered back to his room wondering what he did wrong.  Clueless and rude.

Jocelyn

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 12:58:23 PM »
He probably went away convinced he'd said nothing wrong- if you just say the truth, no one should be offended, right? >:(

That's not an unusual family- now, the family I knew where Couple A and Couple B divorced, and Mr. A married Ms. B and Mr. B married Ms. A, and all four marriages had had children...THAT was an unusual set of family relationships.

Elfqueen13

• Adventures in House Hunting!
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 02:46:28 PM »
He probably went away convinced he'd said nothing wrong- if you just say the truth, no one should be offended, right? >:(

That's not an unusual family- now, the family I knew where Couple A and Couple B divorced, and Mr. A married Ms. B and Mr. B married Ms. A, and all four marriages had had children...THAT was an unusual set of family rel@tionships.

Wow.  *blink blink*  Yeah, I guess complicated is a good word for that.
Follow along on my house hunt!  http://ulfrslady.livejournal.com/

Musicwoman

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 07:12:22 PM »
I know one couple where the husband left the wife for his sister's ex-husband's 16-year old daughter by a previous marriage.  His wife then took up with the said sister's ex-husband.  Original husband was very put out, especially as his relationship crashed and burned within a few months (she dumped him because he was too old). 
Changing the world...one Thank You note at a time.

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 07:18:32 PM »

That's not an unusual family- now, the family I knew where Couple A and Couple B divorced, and Mr. A married Ms. B and Mr. B married Ms. A, and all four marriages had had children...THAT was an unusual set of family rel@tionships.

sounds like something out of a Hienlin novel  -- well if they all lived in the same house it would be.....
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 07:32:52 PM »

Wow.  *blink blink*  Yeah, I guess complicated is a good word for that.

sounds like something out of a Hienlin novel  -- well if they all lived in the same house it would be.....

Sounds like a family court show (supposed to be reenactments of actual cases the judge had presided over during his career on the bench).  Alice wanted to marry Bradley but his mother was against it. Really adamantly against it.  They were just under the age of getting married without parental consent.......

Alice announced that she was pregnant and they had to let her marry Bradley.   Bradley's mother let drop the bomb that she had an affair with Alice's dad all those years ago and he was her half brother........

Alice is hyperventilating and about to have a nervous breakdown in the court house.  Her mother stood up and told her that she would NOT have mentioned this if Bradley's mother hadn't started pulling skeletons out of the closet - but when she found out that her husband had fathered a child on another woman, SHE had an affair with that woman's husband.  So Alice and Bradley were NOT half siblings and there were no impediments to the marriage because she was going to sign the paperwork for Alice (Bradly might have been enough older that he could get married with the pregnancy but Alice was a bit younger - this was set probably twenty years ago - the *real* case might have been even earlier - when all the ages would have been set higher than they are now).

Alice's mother's husband was looking at Bradley's mother's husband.......apparently neither had realized *at the time* that their wives had strayed........at least Alice's mother's husband hadn't realize that his wife knew that HE had strayed.

Snarky and Evil wondered if there were any divorces and remarriages with the parents switching partners - or if the marriages really had adjusted after the seventeen plus years since the birth of Bradley and Alice.  

I do miss watching that show..........
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 08:54:01 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 07:49:59 PM »
Wow.  Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 09:24:27 PM »
My 20 y.o cousin is marrying her ex-stepfather (26 y.o. ... Her mom basicly molested him until he was legal as far as we can tell)

Sometime this week Cousin is gonna have her FH's first child.

They are blissfully happy, Cousin's daughter from a previous relationship (with a guy who the family refers to as "that waste of space, food and oxygen") calls FH "papa" and if you ask him, that's his "perfect princess" and "His little fishing baby"

And they recieve a lot of embarassment from people who know the whole history... I told her this weekend that if they can survive that, their marriage'll be no sweat.

(And off-topic: *babybabybabybabybabyBABY!*)

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 05:47:47 AM »

How rude.

:o  :o  :o
Stewart/Colbert '16

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 07:35:26 AM »
I can top the OP's post (but not the courtroom show).

All my female friends, like me, had toxic mothers.  This is an intense subject of conversation between us and we share details.  Blanche and I have told each other things we haven't shared with others. 

My late mother was supported by her boyfriends.  When she died I found a large amount of cash in the house.  When I told Blanche her comment was something about being expert at a method of removing the chrome from a new Mercedes.

My response was a very pointed "Excuse me?"  She immediately apologised.

MC Clapyohanz

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 02:22:13 PM »
Wait, in the OP it doesn't sound like the daughter's parents (A+B) divorced and then were remarried to another couple's ex-spouses (C+D).

It sounds like A married G and B married Q, not A+D and B+C.

Am I not understanding correctly?

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 02:32:42 PM »

sounds like something out of a Hienlin novel  -- well if they all lived in the same house it would be.....

That is the kind of family i want.  :)

My siblings are married to siblings. It's kind of neat. There is another brother in my in-laws family so it is a running joke that he and i will not be getting married.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem