Author Topic: Worst case of jaw-dropping in the known history  (Read 18675 times)

Squeaks

• Super Hero!
Re: Worst case of jaw-dropping in the known history
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2010, 02:50:17 PM »
the closest i can get to weird family stuff is

My mother's husband has the same name as one of her brothers and that brother has the same name as my mother. So two couples with the same names, gets confusing.  Now the guy i am dating also has the same first and middle name as my mother's husband. (kept me very very creeped out for a very long time). This leads to much confusion.

I did have some friends who's father's sister was married to their mother's brother.  I guess that would be double cousins.

Ohh and i also attend a holiday party with my guy and in attendance was. . . . His father's common law wife's ex husband's daughter's (from his second wife after my guys step mom) ex girlfriend's girlfriend and all the lines to said girlfriend.  I think that is getting to the point of go maybe needing to go your separate ways.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2010, 06:27:39 PM »
Maternal grandfather had a double first cousin (siblings married to siblings).

I have first cousins who are also second cousins to each other (their mothers are first cousins married to Dad's brothers - due to the mother of one dying young, they hadn't seen the other cousin in over ten years and they didn't recognize each other at first - of course, that was fifty-odd years ago now).  Dad also has double cousins in at least two generations of his family.  There are two or three families who ended up going to his maternal and paternal family reunions.............back when they still had them annually.  I don't know if they do anymore, now that the reunions are every other year.  I know I don't go even once every six years..........bad timing on when they are held.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2010, 07:25:36 PM »
very small town that I live in -- People just didn't marry "out" too far.....

there are people that I am related to on both my Mom's side and Dad's side

family trees around here sometimes get VERY complicated.

my Grandfather on Dad's side was a Henry who married a Margretha  -- there is another "lastname" family in the same town (not related to either)  in the SAME generation that has a Henry married to a Margretha

makes things confusing
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

jenny_islander

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2010, 01:56:01 PM »
My DH comes from a "change partners and dance with me" situation.  That is, his mom used to be married to his dad's buddy, who later married his dad's ex-wife.  Apparently the divorces were amicable!

The brood of assorted half-siblings gets along pretty well, but finding space for family parties can be tricky.  Also, the age difference among the original couples is so huge that DH was an uncle when he was born and a GREAT-uncle in grade school.

Odyssey

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2010, 02:45:59 AM »
And I thought that it was weird for my Grandfather to marry my aunt... ;D My grandmother died and he ended up marrying her sister, so for a while my young cousin called her Great-auntie-grandma. There's another confusing something with trading exs and whatnot, but I cannot figure out much of that portion of the tree. The branches get all knotted up after a while.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2010, 09:01:09 AM »
And I thought that it was weird for my Grandfather to marry my aunt... ;D My grandmother died and he ended up marrying her sister, so for a while my young cousin called her Great-auntie-grandma. There's another confusing something with trading exs and whatnot, but I cannot figure out much of that portion of the tree. The branches get all knotted up after a while.

It tended to happen fairly often where the wife died and her younger sister moved in to help with the children, and they later decided to marry. I did know an elderly lady who found out that her "mother" was her aunt when she needed to apply for a passport.

As for the idiot in the OP, well he really needs to leanr some manners.
NE England

kitty-cat

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2010, 10:19:21 AM »
Wow. Nothing in my family tree is that messed up.

Although,  my stepsister is a great-aunt from stepdads side of the family. And the start of that branch of the tree is the younger sister of my stepdad, so she's probably in her mid-late 40's now. So, stepdads sister had a child at I wanna say 16-17; and then that daughter had a child at 16-17 also.

I try to not to draw my family tree, it gets confusing fast.

NE Florida

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2010, 10:31:54 AM »
I understand that one Kitty-cat.

My mom was adopted by her older brother. My real grandmother died when my mom was less than 2 years old. My grandfather was a really horrid "parent" who would have had the kids taken away in a microsecond now days. My mom's oldest brother (mom was the youngest of at least 14 but nobody really knows how many kids there are) adopted my mom and 2 of my aunts as soon as he finished he training in the airforce and married the woman I called Grandma.

We have fun explaining THAT branch of the family tree.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2010, 10:44:35 AM »
The story in the OP seems pretty tame.  Each couple had been married twice with children from each marriage. 

I remember a friend in High School.  When we were in the getting to know you stage, I asked about siblings.  Her parents had each been married 8 times, and they both thought that a marriage wasn't "real" if they didn't have kids.  So each marriage had kids.  Her favorite Daddy was actually her last ex-stepfather, but her parents wouldn't let her live with him after the divorce.  She was uprooted more frequently than a military brat.  Oh, and her mom used the child support check to buy work clothes. 

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2010, 03:22:34 PM »
And I thought that it was weird for my Grandfather to marry my aunt... ;D

I'm relieved to see it sounds like he married your great-aunt. Marrying your aunt would mean marrying his daughter (unless it was an aunt on the other side of your family, I suppose).
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2010, 01:25:15 PM »
He probably went away convinced he'd said nothing wrong- if you just say the truth, no one should be offended, right? >:(

That's not an unusual family- now, the family I knew where Couple A and Couple B divorced, and Mr. A married Ms. B and Mr. B married Ms. A, and all four marriages had had children...THAT was an unusual set of family rel@tionships.

There was a manga about that, only the partner-swapped newlyweds each only had one child... who then fell in love with each other and married. Also, totally against reality, all four just liked each other so darn much that they all decided to live together as one big happy family.

Danismom

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2010, 02:40:00 PM »
Lol!  The closest we come in my family is actually in my husband's family....My first name and what was my middle name until we married are the exact same as my sister in law who my husband's brother married just last year (4 years after DH and I married).  Both my SIL and I replaced our middle names with our maiden names so now on paper you have Elizabeth Sheridan Baca and Elizabeth Weaver Baca.  Luckily I go by Lizzie and she either uses Elizabeth or Liz (best way I could explain without real names).  The difficulty of course comes in that you have 2 Elizabeth Bacas in a relatively small area as we only live about 20 minutes apart!  We also both have young children -- my DS is just a few months older than her DD.  I can't imagine how crazy it would be if they were the same gender!!

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2010, 06:38:57 AM »
Quote from: Kendo_Bunny

There was a manga about that, only the partner-swapped newlyweds each only had one child... who then fell in love with each other and married. Also, totally against reality, all four just liked each other so darn much that they all decided to live together as one big happy family.

Wasn't that an episode of 'Lewis'? Only there I think there were 2 kids per couple.
Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2010, 07:28:18 AM »

Wasn't that an episode of 'Lewis'? Only there I think there were 2 kids per couple.

No idea, but it is a manga/anime called 'Marmalade Boy'.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2010, 11:14:47 AM »

No idea, but it is a manga/anime called 'Marmalade Boy'.

A similar family showed up on a Family Court episode twenty years ago - the judge was reprising cases from his tenure in family court.........a young couple showed up trying to get permission from their parents to wed (one of them was a couple of months too young, under the laws of the time the real life event occurred).

In court, her mother finally admitted to having had an affair with the young man's father - so he was her half brother.  They couldn't marry.  Girl came unglued in her chair - they had deliberately gotten pregnant to force the permission.............

Her mother stood up and told the court that there was no problem, as when she'd found out that her husband was having an affair with his friend's wife & gotten her pregnant, she'd gone out and had an affair with his best friend and gotten pregnant, too.  The young couple were much relieved, the wedding was performed by the judge, and the grandparents were left to work out the issues with their spouses having found out about the affairs some 17 to 20 years earlier (as I said, they were recreating cases with actors - I don't know what the age of majority was when the real events occurred that were being acted out for the tv show).

They had some really good actors and some of those court cases were more dramatic than any Perry Mason show!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?