News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 26, 2016, 03:38:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Etiquette of singles  (Read 1666 times)

rose red

Re: Etiquette of singles
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2016, 06:38:52 PM »
Yup. When our workplace started opening on Memorial Day and Labor Day, guess who is asked to work just because I have no husband and/or children? >:(

Another one is when splitting the bill, split it by person; not couples/family. Just because you're a couple doesn't mean you are one person, thank you very much.

Cali.in.UK

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2016, 07:12:21 PM »
Another angle is, if you are friends with someone who is single and not thrilled about their re-lationship status, don't talk about how "relieved" you are that you found someone, or how everyone else besides your significant other is horrible, or "I'm so glad I don't have to date at my age anymore!" I have a mixed group of single and coupled friends and I've definitely heard people talk about how awful the dating world is in front of people who are still in that world.

diesel_darlin

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2016, 07:54:08 PM »
Another angle is, if you are friends with someone who is single and not thrilled about their re-lationship status, don't talk about how "relieved" you are that you found someone, or how everyone else besides your significant other is horrible, or "I'm so glad I don't have to date at my age anymore!" I have a mixed group of single and coupled friends and I've definitely heard people talk about how awful the dating world is in front of people who are still in that world.

Yes! So Much YES! And while you're at it, please don't perpetually ask a single if they have found mr/miss right! And if they tell you no, please

don't offer your mate! I had a friend tell me the other day that I could have her husband since I couldn't find my own.  >:(

Peppergirl

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2016, 03:59:58 PM »
Oh my good lord, POD POD POD POD to almost all.

I want to tell people the following:

I am in my mid 40s and have been divorced for years
My kids are grown ( I started very young - they are 26 and 29)
I have grandkids
I now have a position at work that requires travel and my home office is near my home town.  This means free trips home, quarterly, which I greatly enjoy and appreciate.
I have friends to hang out with and love my pets very much, despite them being a handful. (The friends AND the pets)  ;D

All of the above, for me, means I am totally fulfilled.  Yes, really.  No, I'm not in denial.   I do not need to be pitied, doubted, condescended to, or told that "I just haven't met the right man yet."  On the contrary, I was married for 15 years and in an on-off re-lationship for 12.  I am done.  Please believe me.  Please don't say, "but...but..." as it only makes me dig my heels in more.

Never say never, of course - but for now, I am content and all good as a singleton.  Even if it means forever.  Please leave me alone.

And with that, I realize I went off on a rant and made it all about me.  Sorry, guys.  :-[
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 04:02:27 PM by Peppergirl »

merryns

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2016, 04:38:45 PM »
Don't divide up shared expenses by household without thinking through if it's really fair for one person to pay the same as a couple plus kids. Especially if the single person got less comfortable accommodation because of their single status.

crazycatlady331

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2016, 09:21:23 AM »
Don't divide up shared expenses by household without thinking through if it's really fair for one person to pay the same as a couple plus kids. Especially if the single person got less comfortable accommodation because of their single status.

This is especially true with food.  Don't expect the single to pay the same amount as the family of 4 with two teen boys (bottomless pits). 

And if the single person gets to sleep on a cot in the living room (as opposed to a bedroom like all the couples) then he/she should get a very discounted rate for sacrificing their privacy.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2016, 09:30:12 AM »

This is especially true with food.  Don't expect the single to pay the same amount as the family of 4 with two teen boys (bottomless pits). 

And if the single person gets to sleep on a cot in the living room (as opposed to a bedroom like all the couples) then he/she should get a very discounted rate for sacrificing their privacy.

This, so much.  I went on a ski weekend at a rented chalet with some friends and friends of theirs.  The kids didn't factor into the accommodation as they weren't using beds; all adults paid the same amount but the couples with the kids got to sleep in the two bedrooms and the rest of us got single beds in the loft, with no privacy, including from the kids.  They were allowed to roam the place at will.  I had medications in my purse without childproof caps because I didn't expect that they would be allowed in my sleeping space, which I consider private even though it was out in the open.

Haven't taken this type of vacation with them since.  Though the kids are now old enough that they should be paying their share, since they'll take up beds.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario