Etiquette School is in session! > The Ehell Guide to Never Behaving Badly

Home Buying Etiquette

<< < (2/17) > >>

Hushabye:
For realtors:

*When someone schedules a showing for one of your properties, let the tenants know so that the viewing realtor and prospective buyers don't walk into a home on the poor, unprepared tenants!  It's scary for the tenant, embarrassing for everyone else, and NOT a good way to make a sale.  (No, we most definitely did NOT buy that house!  We never even saw past the front door.)

Bibliophile:

--- Quote from: ginlyn32 on March 16, 2010, 07:14:45 AM ---*Please honor the 24hr notice for scheduling viewing appointments. One should not just drive buy and call the realitor and ask to see the house that night...with 20 minutes notice.

--- End quote ---

I disagree with this...  It's ok to ask.  But don't get upset if the seller isn't able to work it into his/her schedule immediately.  It could very well be that you catch the seller at a good time and they're able to do a viewing...

Bibliophile:
I'd like to add:

- Clean your shoes before entering the house. 

- If you catch the seller at home, don't make rude comments

- don't try to become buddy-buddy with the seller and tell them how much marriage stinks and that you like to stay home and smoke weed while your husband travels for work.  (you wouldn't think that note would be necessary, but I was surprised....)

- if your car leaks fluids, park on the street, not the driveway

- agents - don't snoop through seller's belongings

Snowy Owl:

--- Quote from: Southern Sugar on March 16, 2010, 11:30:26 AM ---For realtors:

*When someone schedules a showing for one of your properties, let the tenants know so that the viewing realtor and prospective buyers don't walk into a home on the poor, unprepared tenants!  It's scary for the tenant, embarrassing for everyone else, and NOT a good way to make a sale.  (No, we most definitely did NOT buy that house!  We never even saw past the front door.)

--- End quote ---

Having been in the tenant's shoes I'd pod this.  My then landlord sold the flat I rented a few years ago.  His estate agents were terrible, never gave me notice and seemed to think they could just show up any time to see around.  On one memorable occasion they managed to catch me just out of the bath.  The estate agent did not ring in advance and neither did he ring the doorbell.  He came in with the potential buyers through front door just as I was coming out of the bathroom  (which was at the front of the flat near the front door) wearing only a towel and with dripping wet hair. :-[ 

I laugh now, it wasn't funny at the time. 

kareng57:

--- Quote from: ginlyn32 on March 16, 2010, 07:14:45 AM ---*Please honor the 24hr notice for scheduling viewing appointments. One should not just drive buy and call the realitor and ask to see the house that night...with 20 minutes notice.

*If you do schedule the viewing, at least go in and look at the house! Yes this house you are looking at is "way out in the country"...you should have known that when scheduling a viewing. If you are not sure whether or not you'd like to see the house, make a drive-by to see where the house is located.

*If for any reason you cannot attend the viewing YOU scheduled, please call your realitor and re-schedule or cancel the showing.

ginlyn

--- End quote ---

In my experience, the 24-hour-notice requirement generally means that the property is a rental.  And, in this area anyway, the requirement is there because the landlord must give 24 hours of notice if needing to enter the property unless it's an emergency - even if it's the realtor who will be entering rather than the landlord.

Of course, vendors can put all the conditions that they want on the contract and realtors must honour them.  However, they need to realize that by doing so, they are making their property less accessible to the market.  It's not unusual for people to suddenly have to find a house (maybe they were transferred and the company is paying for one weekend of house-hunting in New Town).  24 hour notice just might not be possible for all the properties that they would like to view.  In a hot market, a 24 hour requirement from the vendor might be fine, but in a slow market it could mean that the house stays on the market for months.

So, if vendors want a reasonably-quick sale, they might have to be agreeable to getting phone calls from realtors "I'm bringing some people over in a half hour, okay?"  Yes, it means keeping the house in near-pristine condition at all time, doing a quick tidy-up and vacating the premises.  Almost all realtors around here seem to request that the residents not be there, if at all possible.  Overall - selling a house is not fun.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version