Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1245795 times)

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #6540 on: November 20, 2014, 12:52:32 PM »
....in which case kw did not alert anyone in line to anything because everyone was respecting everyone else's privacy.

Goosey

« Reply #6541 on: November 20, 2014, 12:54:10 PM »
....in which case kw did not alert anyone in line to anything because everyone was respecting everyone else's privacy.

"You switched these medicines and it could have killed someone! Why aren't you taking this seriously?"

^gives people the lowdown on what's going on. Doesn't give any personal information.

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6542 on: November 20, 2014, 12:58:00 PM »

"You switched these medicines and it could have killed someone! Why aren't you taking this seriously?"

^gives people the lowdown on what's going on. Doesn't give any personal information.

But presumably no one could hear what kw said regardless of content. Again, if her voice was raised so people could hear her, I find that rude. If it was not raised, and she was following the "rules" of he pharmacy line, no one could hear what she was saying.

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6543 on: November 21, 2014, 01:14:12 PM »
Thread reopened.  Various guilty parties are taking a little break from the forum.

A reminder: When someone starts derailing a discussion, just use the report to mod feature.  Don't respond in the thread - it just encourages the troublemakers.

In other words, don't feed the trolls.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #6544 on: November 21, 2014, 01:33:06 PM »
Thanks, Wordgeek, for re-opening this thread.  It is generally a very fun one.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #6545 on: November 21, 2014, 01:39:29 PM »
Thanks, Wordgeek, for re-opening this thread.  It is generally a very fun one.

Ditto.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

otterwoman

« Reply #6546 on: November 21, 2014, 01:45:33 PM »
DH has laid down the law; I am never to take my car to Sears Auto again. The last time I went there I had the oil changed and the tires rotated. A few days later, DH noticed oil in the driveway. He crawled under my car to find that the oil pan plug was very loose. He was surprised more oil hadn't dripped out. He than asked me what else I had done. I told him about the tires. He exclaimed "Oh dear G-d!" and ran out the door. Sure enough, there were a bunch of lug nuts loose.

It seems many locals are avoiding this Sears; they are now going out of business.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #6547 on: November 21, 2014, 01:47:20 PM »
O'Reilly's Auto Parts - had to have a right front strut replaced in Georgia while visiting DD, a year or so later, I was getting ready to come back out to their house & that strut broke, came through the wheel (tore it up), and had to be replaced before I could drive out.  It took a couple of days...I want to say that I missed being there when my first grandson was born, but it could have been his first birthday (that vehicle & the repair records are still back home in Texas).  I didn't write a check, so no way to look up the date...

Checked with the Georgia mechanic when I got there - he'd bought insurance on the parts & labor from the supplier...but the company refused to pay the full costs of repairing the wheel (paid about half, in the end, after many, many calls to followup - both from me and the mechanic).

He found other suppliers in the local area, as he was not happy with finding out that paying for the insurance didn't do anything for his customers.

Not that I shop much at car parts stores - but I won't buy car batteries, tires, light bulbs, or so much as an air freshener off the clearance table from that particular chain .  There are lots of other options for car parts...not much in the scheme of things, but I think that the local store has noticed the decline or loss of a very busy car repair garage's business over the last few years.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Hillia

« Reply #6548 on: November 21, 2014, 02:18:03 PM »
DH has laid down the law; I am never to take my car to Sears Auto again. The last time I went there I had the oil changed and the tires rotated. A few days later, DH noticed oil in the driveway. He crawled under my car to find that the oil pan plug was very loose. He was surprised more oil hadn't dripped out. He than asked me what else I had done. I told him about the tires. He exclaimed "Oh dear G-d!" and ran out the door. Sure enough, there were a bunch of lug nuts loose.

It seems many locals are avoiding this Sears; they are now going out of business.

Was it the same one Ron White went to?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii8rC6CPCvM  Warning: one or two naughty words

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

becktheriddler

« Reply #6549 on: November 21, 2014, 02:37:47 PM »
Maybe I should start a spinoff - I will tell people to shop HERE. I was at a chain drugstore one Sunday morning, buying the Sunday paper. There were several young girls (13, maybe) together at the checkout. One of the was buying some tights. The clerk asked if she, or maybe her mother had the chain discount card. Check for bewildered look on girl's face. The clerk then said "If any of you or your parents has the card, you can just type in your phone number, and she can get a second pair of tights for free". One girl volunteered that she thought maybe her mother did, stepped up and typed in a phone number. Sure enough, it was good, the clerk said "Go pick out another pair".

Now, normally, I am not one to volunteer to wait. But the clerk looked up at me, apologized and said "It will just be another minute". I was okay with that. But then the clerk realized that a few of the girls had wandered off with their friend, and this might stretch out. This is where she won me. She stepped over to the next register, signed in and said "Come on over here, I'll get you taken care of" And then, while ringing me up, she said "I'm sorry, I just couldn't let them go without seeing if they could get a discount, it didn't seem right."  Well, if she's going to look after her customers like that, I'm going to keep going there. And tell other people, too.
By Grabthat's Hammer...what a savings!

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6550 on: November 21, 2014, 02:40:06 PM »
Maybe I should start a spinoff - I will tell people to shop HERE. I was at a chain drugstore one Sunday morning, buying the Sunday paper. There were several young girls (13, maybe) together at the checkout. One of the was buying some tights. The clerk asked if she, or maybe her mother had the chain discount card. Check for bewildered look on girl's face. The clerk then said "If any of you or your parents has the card, you can just type in your phone number, and she can get a second pair of tights for free". One girl volunteered that she thought maybe her mother did, stepped up and typed in a phone number. Sure enough, it was good, the clerk said "Go pick out another pair".

Now, normally, I am not one to volunteer to wait. But the clerk looked up at me, apologized and said "It will just be another minute". I was okay with that. But then the clerk realized that a few of the girls had wandered off with their friend, and this might stretch out. This is where she won me. She stepped over to the next register, signed in and said "Come on over here, I'll get you taken care of" And then, while ringing me up, she said "I'm sorry, I just couldn't let them go without seeing if they could get a discount, it didn't seem right."  Well, if she's going to look after her customers like that, I'm going to keep going there. And tell other people, too.

Spin-off can be found here:
http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=114353.0   ;)

magicdomino

« Reply #6551 on: November 21, 2014, 04:19:02 PM »
The defective car parts issue reminds me of why I no longer go to a nearby service station.  I'd been going there for years for oil changes and the like.  A few years ago, the truck was dribbling coolant due to a faulty water pump, and the service station is just close enough to drive there.  They replaced the water pump, and all was fine.  For 18 months.Then the new pump started dribbling.

Day one:  I drive to the station in the morning.  They are a bit busy, so it takes an hour or two for them to get to my truck, and see that it is indeed the water pump.  The station guarantees their work for only 3 months, but the parts supplier should have a longer warranty -- if they can figure out which of their three suppliers sold them the part.  That took another hour or two, by which time it is too late for me to catch a bus to work.  Good news though, the new pump will be covered for both parts and labor, but they won't be able to get the pump to the station until late afternoon.  Good thing I have plenty of annual leave.   :-\ 

Day two:  I get up early and catch the bus (hour and a half bus/subway ride versus 20 minutes driving).  Coming home, I catch a ride with a friend and show up at the service station.  Service manager looks nervous, and takes me into the no-mans land of the repair area to talk with the repairman.  It seems that after he replaced the water pump, he took the truck for a test drive.  Good thing, because the replacement water pump blew apart, destoying the fan, which in turn dug a hole in the radiator.   :o  Now, I was getting a new fan and radiator to go with yet another water pump.  None of which they had received, so they didn't know when the truck would be fixed.  At least, I wouldn't be paying anything.   ::)

Day three:  I walk up to the service station, to see what the latest news was, and just for general harassment purposes.  Station manager wasn't confident that the truck would be fixed that day.  I had him drive me over to a car rental place, so that I could get some working wheels. 

Day four:  That afternoon, the truck is finally fixed.  Rental car is turned in; truck is picked up.

I can't fault the service station itself, aside from maybe not paying for that rental car.  But I don't want to go back, in case they are still getting parts from that supplier.

AzaleaBloom

• Help, I'm stepping into the twilight zone...
« Reply #6552 on: November 21, 2014, 04:28:43 PM »
A local car dealership.  While my family has now sworn off GM cars (my car was included in the major ignition recall.  I spent years with ignition problems, at one point being told it was because there were crumbs in my car.), at one time it was the only type of car we would buy.

Shortly after I graduated high school, the 12 year old hand-me-down car I was driving died at a stoplight.  After a terrifying moment of just getting it enough juice to coast into a parking lot, my parents agreed I needed a new car.

We went to the dealership we had been working with for years.  My parents requested a specfic salesperson - one they had bought two vehicles from a year previously.  He helped us find a car I liked, and we agreed to buy it.  The one they had on the lot was a manual and I needed an automatic, but they said they would have one in two days.

Two days later, we go to pick up the car.  Imagine my parents' shock when they found that the salesman had, without their permission, included fancy molding and a stripe on the car.  Imagine their even bigger shock when he charged an additional $80 for it.

They called the owner of the dealership a few days later.  They asked him what he would do if he had faithful customers such as them buy a car.  He said, "Oh, I'd probably throw in a free stripe."  Then they told him what had happened.

They got a check within a week.

However, the whole ordeal left a very bad taste in our mouths, and we never went there again.

I'mnotinsane

• My mother had me tested
« Reply #6553 on: Today at 10:41:00 AM »

Somewhere in this thread others have complained about Sears and I posted that I hadn't had any problems with their major appliances or service.  That changed a few months ago-after 5 years, three major appliances and 1 large television.  They had lost my business except auto because I don't know of a reliable mechanic in  this area and I generally just need oil changes, tires, and batteries. 

(Sigh) until yesterday....About an hour in line just to give information and drop my car off-there were only about 6 people in line in front of me.  Two people taking in cars/assisting customers picking up vehicles.  Both were working at a glacial pace, but I had to listen to one of them complain several times that they hadn't had breaks, it was busy all day.  That happens when you mismanage your time.  I don't need to hear it.  The service writer taking my car in was a rude, misogynistic jerk. I'm done.

Hillia, thanks for posting the Ron White Video-I enjoyed watching it again.