News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• March 30, 2017, 07:46:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 3084143 times)

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #10950 on: Yesterday at 08:42:38 PM »
This is long, but I want y'all to get the full picture . . .

Our refrigerator died about two weeks ago. We were headed out of town a few days later, so buying a new one essentially consisted of me running to the nearest appliance places and asking if they were able to deliver within 48 hours. At Best Buy, at least, I was able to wander around the section for quite a while and nobody approached me. I found ONE fridge in the size we wanted and for the price we wanted. Wrong color, but beggars can't be choosers.

I remembered that there was a new furniture store which had just opened up a few months ago, so that was my next stop. (Actually, my next stop was the mall to check Sears, but I forgot they were tearing it down because instead of Sears there was just a giant pile of rubble and a lot of orange plastic fencing. This place was the third stop, though.)

This store, I had four employees greet me and ask if they could help me find anything before I was twenty feet in. The sales guy in the refrigerator department could have been straight out of used car commercial, right down to the "this one's cheaper but I wouldn't buy it because [made-up reason]" and the high-pressure "buy today!" sales tactic. They did have a fridge I like a bit better than the one at Best Buy, though, it was $50 cheaper, and they could deliver the next day. Crisis averted - we'd have a working fridge before we left for vacation!

The delivery guys were awesome. Like, seriously, I want them to be the only ones who install stuff in my house from now on. Somehow, the sales guy had managed to charge me for a washing machine hose instead of refrigerator hose. One of the delivery guys noticed that, thought it was odd, and stuck in a fridge hose just in case. Total lifesaver :-) I sent the washing machine hose back with him and figured the two were probably around the same price so everything was fine.

The company sent me two emails, a text, and an automated phone call asking me to rate my experience with them. When I was actually sitting down for the paperwork of buying the thing, both the smarmy salesman and his not-much-better boss (protip: don't stand around telling racist jokes while in earshot of a customer) made a HUGE deal of how I had to give them all fives, anything less was a failing grade and they would have corporate down here demanding changes, etc. I skipped the numerical part of the survey because I HATE when companies do that, but I did add a comment that the delivery guys were great.

Two days later I get a call from the manager. He's so sorry about the wrong hose, how can he make it right? If I come into the store, they can refund the price of it on my credit card, no charge for the correct one since it was their error, did this make it a five-star experience? I told him I don't do those surveys when they're essentially pass-fail but I appreciated the offer and would be back in once I was back in town.

Anyway, because we were going out of town immediately I didn't get around to going back into the store until tonight. I explained what I'd been told to the lady at the desk and handed over my receipt. She was a manager but had to call a higher-up one, apparently. He comes out and one of the other employees swings past:

"Hey, Tina, who had the sale on that?"

"James."

"Oh."

"Of course."

"Sorry, ma'am. That associate doesn't work here anymore; this will just take a minute."

Over the course of the next twenty minutes, I learned that the used-car-salesman guy and the making-sexist-jokes-in-front-of-customers manager were no longer employed by the company. I asked if mistakes like this were typical with this sales guy and the lady said yes, very much so, she wasn't at all surprised. From the discussion between her and the other manager, I got the impression the sexist manager covered for this particular sales guy a lot, until they both got let go. They couldn't refund me money that the other manager had neglected to write down that he promised me, though. Took a few go-rounds before they gave me my $20 back :-)

So yeah, there you have it - professional darwinism from someone who managed to get both himself and his manager fired. Oh, and the conversation as I was walking away:

"Hey, did you know he works next door now?"

"What?"

"Not, like, NEXT door, but further down [it was in a strip mall]. He's doing the night shift at Taco Bell now."

I've decided not to eat at that particular Taco Bell for a while. I also feel bad for his new co-workers  :-\
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:45:56 PM by Slartibartfast »

Coralreef

« Reply #10951 on: Yesterday at 08:49:07 PM »
Came across this article about what should have been PD for the guy playing mean and dangerous pranks on his coworkers. He wasn't fired though; he was promoted! Coworker he "pranked" fired instead.

Warning: poop mentioned.

http://loweringthebar.net/2016/03/has-your-boss-ever.html

This definitely needs the jaw drop smiley.  I have no words.  :o :o :o

[/right

figee

« Reply #10952 on: Today at 01:00:16 AM »
Came across this article about what should have been PD for the guy playing mean and dangerous pranks on his coworkers. He wasn't fired though; he was promoted! Coworker he "pranked" fired instead.

Agreed!  Apart from anything else, I can only imagine the damage done if, for instance, he had some veterans working with him.  DH has problems with unexpected fireworks.  An unexpected bomb?  Yeah.  No.

GreenHall

« Reply #10953 on: Today at 08:47:08 AM »

That is gold from start to finish.  The writing style helps, but the content...WOW!

Kiwipinball

« Reply #10954 on: Today at 09:04:44 AM »

Agreed!  Apart from anything else, I can only imagine the damage done if, for instance, he had some veterans working with him.  DH has problems with unexpected fireworks.  An unexpected bomb?  Yeah.  No.

Well frankly that's the sort of thing that can give people PTSD. Yes, it would be especially difficult for veterans, but never knowing if a bomb is going to go off at work? Especially when you know it's  "prank" so not carefully planned out with safety in mind? Veterans might react more strongly at first, but I think a lot of the employees could end up with PTSD. What a horrible person.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #10955 on: Today at 09:16:01 AM »
Mr. English is lucky he is still alive and has all his limbs.  Both from the bomb making standpoint and from the standpoint of employees exacting revenge.

What a maroon!
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Coralreef

« Reply #10956 on: Today at 09:19:36 AM »
Well frankly that's the sort of thing that can give people PTSD. Yes, it would be especially difficult for veterans, but never knowing if a bomb is going to go off at work? Especially when you know it's  "prank" so not carefully planned out with safety in mind? Veterans might react more strongly at first, but I think a lot of the employees could end up with PTSD. What a horrible person.

RE: the bolded part... I can't imagine what his spouse/family goes through, if he has one. 

[/right

MyFamily

« Reply #10957 on: Today at 11:59:54 AM »
Can you just imagine what was going through the judge's head?  He must have felt as if he was on Candid Camera, because no way was this real, except it was....

I would've been suing for a whole lot more than disability benefits.

At the end of the article they mentioned that the former employee should have been happy they gave such open testimony - chances are that first he dealt with the disability, and then he was moving on to the next level of lawsuit.  I'm just curious if the ATF was notified, or if this could fall under their jurisdiction, due to the bomb making.

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

Sara Crewe

« Reply #10958 on: Today at 12:37:12 PM »
Not surprisingly, once this went public, the boss and the boss's boss (who thought the best way to deal with randomly bombing subordinates was to promote the bomber and fire the person who complained) decided to seek opportunities elsewhere.

Shalamar

« Reply #10959 on: Today at 01:38:35 PM »
Someone posted a story on Reddit recently about taking a dislike to a co-worker, finding out that co-worker was a germaphobe and had anxiety issues, and then making poor co-worker's life a living hell.  I won't get into details, but they were gross and very, very mean.  Why did he do it?  Just 'cus.  OP was eventually found out and fired.  His question to Reddit:  "Can I sue my company for wrongful dismissal?"  Yeahhhh, why don't you try that.  Oh, wait, he did, and for some reason he can't find anyone to take his case.    ::)

Mad Goat Woman

• formerly Hamlet: The Original Emo
    • Mad Goat Woman
« Reply #10960 on: Today at 07:17:45 PM »
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-31/sacking-of-was-leading-dna-scientist-unprecedented-disaster/8403618 A forensic biologist was fired for breaching protocols, putting 27 criminal cases in doubt.

Captains Flat, Australia