News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• March 29, 2015, 05:07:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Silly things that have made you happy recently  (Read 71127 times)

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
Re: Silly things that have made you happy recently
« Reply #930 on: March 27, 2015, 12:30:44 PM »
This has had me giggling today.

Sent this text to my son this morning:

"So I dreamed you wrote a book. Not read one - wrote one.
Your book was a worldwide bestseller and the required text in most high schools and colleges. You wrote it in 36 hours and it was over 500 pages long - with diagrams.

The title was "An Analysis of the Origins of the Current Political Situation as Developed from 1940 to the Present - Presented in the Context of the Worlds of Harry Potter."

Clearly, my brain is busted.
(But I want to read that book now!)
"I think her scattergun was only loaded with commas and full-stops, although some of them cuddled together for warmth and produced little baby colons and semi-colons." ~ Margo

Benni

« Reply #931 on: March 27, 2015, 02:20:13 PM »
My new Big Boss (BB) was presenting at our staff meeting today.

Yesterday I spent a good part of my day filing and cleaning my office as I had spent a good three months on brain intensive work and 1) my office was a disaster, 2) I needed to destress, and 3) I was waiting on information that I may have had to act on immediately regarding a big project so I did not want to be in the middle of any other project.

BB walked into my office today and asked to see the view (I have an awesome view from my office windows) and complimented me on my office.  He spent at least 5 minutes with me.  Boy am I glad I cleaned my office!!

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #932 on: March 27, 2015, 03:42:45 PM »
Today I was at a red light and looked to my left to see a man sized pink ape sitting in the passenger side (seat belt on) of a top off jeep with his left hand poised to adjust the radio.

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
« Reply #933 on: March 27, 2015, 04:11:35 PM »

Your book was a worldwide bestseller and the required text in most high schools and colleges. You wrote it in 36 hours and it was over 500 pages long - with diagrams.

The title was "An Analysis of the Origins of the Current Political Situation as Developed from 1940 to the Present - Presented in the Context of the Worlds of Harry Potter."

I mean, the similarities are pretty stark, considering that there's two Wizarding Wars, and the second one is even more overtly about blood purity. I know there's other similarities between HP and world history of that time, but I can't get it together right now.

Vita brevis, ars longa

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #934 on: March 27, 2015, 06:33:01 PM »
My Archaeological Theory and Method class is the most exacting class this term and second most exacting anthropology class in my undergrad career. The professor is a stickler for details such as page numbers, font size, text, citation style, and only allows a certain amount of text per submission. I'm pretty good at adapting to the requirements for each class/professor and average 90 and 95 percentile for her assignments. Today, on the abstract and bibliography for our final project for the course, I got 100%!

Due to other circumstances, I stayed home from work today and spent some time with my DS. His friend contacted him in the late morning and invited him to go to Disney World. They are on their second park of the day.  :D

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #935 on: March 27, 2015, 07:57:08 PM »

I mean, the similarities are pretty stark, considering that there's two Wizarding Wars, and the second one is even more overtly about blood purity. I know there's other similarities between HP and world history of that time, but I can't get it together right now.

The book had lines like "Ron's behaviour in this case mirrors the subtle manipulation used in Nixon's responses to China."

The really funny part is that my son isn't really into Harry Potter and had zero interest in political history. He is in college studying video game design.

I have no idea what my brain was doing! ;D
"I think her scattergun was only loaded with commas and full-stops, although some of them cuddled together for warmth and produced little baby colons and semi-colons." ~ Margo

HoneyBee42

« Reply #936 on: Yesterday at 05:41:33 PM »
I finally published my book on Amazon, and sold my first real copy this morning (like a human paid actual money for it). I'm just giddy all over!

Woo! Hoo!  ;D

Would you please send a link to your book? I'd love to check it out.

(My apologies if you've written about your book elsewhere on this site, this is the first I'm hearing/reading about it.)

I've asked the mods about the right way to handle this related to another thread. I don't want to be shilling like some kind of hinky...shill.  But thanks for the woo-hoo!

There's nothing stopping you from posting your pen name, is there?  Amazon has a search feature.  ;D

Silly things that make me happy:  I finally have shoes that fit!  Like, correctly!  And get this... they're marked as wide, and they are wide!!  I'm a whole two shoe sizes smaller than I thought I was!  (Can you tell I've always hated shoes and my feet?)

From where?  (Short, wide feet here)

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
« Reply #937 on: Yesterday at 08:43:10 PM »

The book had lines like "Ron's behaviour in this case mirrors the subtle manipulation used in Nixon's responses to China."

The really funny part is that my son isn't really into Harry Potter and had zero interest in political history. He is in college studying video game design.

I have no idea what my brain was doing! ;D

I think your brain was writing a book. See, in dream-speak, your "child" is your creative offspring, right? So your son was actually symbolizing your book.

Do it! Why not? There's one out on "The Gospel According to Breaking Bad". Yours could totally work.

Diane AKA Traska

• Super Hero!
  • Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #938 on: Today at 12:47:35 AM »
I finally published my book on Amazon, and sold my first real copy this morning (like a human paid actual money for it). I'm just giddy all over!

Woo! Hoo!  ;D

Would you please send a link to your book? I'd love to check it out.

(My apologies if you've written about your book elsewhere on this site, this is the first I'm hearing/reading about it.)

I've asked the mods about the right way to handle this related to another thread. I don't want to be shilling like some kind of hinky...shill.  But thanks for the woo-hoo!

There's nothing stopping you from posting your pen name, is there?  Amazon has a search feature.  ;D

Silly things that make me happy:  I finally have shoes that fit!  Like, correctly!  And get this... they're marked as wide, and they are wide!!  I'm a whole two shoe sizes smaller than I thought I was!  (Can you tell I've always hated shoes and my feet?)

From where?  (Short, wide feet here)

I bought them at Payless... the brand name is Cross Trekker. :)

Diane AKA Traska

• Super Hero!
  • Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #939 on: Today at 12:49:29 AM »
I've been dieting this past year, but that isn't what's got me happy.

I was doing some cleaning around the house, and I found a trove of clothes from when I was a teen. (For example, a pair of acid-washed jeans!) And they fit!!

I'm partying like it's 1989! ;D

rain

« Reply #940 on: Today at 07:56:28 AM »
I am in the process of cleaning the basement

Right now I've gotten one shelf cleaned/straightened (3' x 6 1/2') plus some stuff off the floor   ;D
In search of a tag line

Liliane

• Blossoming Pearl Chevalier
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #941 on: Today at 03:16:00 PM »
Someone gave me a prompt to write something for them - not only did it turn out about twice as long as I'd planned for, they were so grateful and happy for the finished product that it almost made me cry. :)
"So, what did you wish for?"
"I wished for... World domination, of course."

Carotte

« Reply #942 on: Today at 03:52:28 PM »
Adam Savage, from Mythbuster, has recreated the maze from the Shining for an exhibition, the whole process can be found here: http://www.tested.com/art/makers/504037-my-shining-maze-build/.
The first thing I love is knowing that he messed up some scale and had to re-do stuff. If Adam Savage messes up for this kind of thing it's liberating to know that it's normal to mess up and stuff.
Second thing is that in the comments people have been talking about building their own version in Lego or in Minecraft. And one person did it in Roller Coaster Tycoon (a pc game) I've recently been playing it again so it's funny to see I'm not the only one (the game is from 1999 - 2002 for my version).

Snooks

« Reply #943 on: Today at 03:56:25 PM »

Ha! You're like my mum, she's had several dreams of very specific companies for my brother to run (nothing for me though!).