News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 22, 2017, 11:08:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Favorite vegetarian recipes with protein?  (Read 1103 times)

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
Re: Favorite vegetarian recipes with protein?
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2017, 10:30:10 AM »
Egg and Tomato Scramble
2 servings

1 14oz can diced tomatoes
¼ c butter
1tsp chili powder
1tbsp flour
4 eggs
pita bread

Melt butter on low heat. Add tomatoes, chili powder, and flour, stirring until smooth.
Let simmer for ten minutes, stirring occasionally.
Break eggs into a small bowl and beat. Add to tomato mixture and stir. Cook till eggs are set. Serve hot with pita bread and salad.

I sometimes substitute Italian seasoning for the chili powder and add a can of mushrooms to bolster it.

If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

glacio

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 07:45:47 AM »
As an easy switch, Trader Joe's has black bean pasta that's really good. http://www.traderjoes.com/digin/post/organic-black-bean-rotini

I double checked and it's 14g of protein a serving.

terpsichore

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2017, 07:14:43 PM »
I've been vegetarian for a long time, and one of my favourite recipes is a fairly recent one. It comes from the book "La Dolce Vegan" by Sarah Kramer, but I made modifications

Lentil Quinoa Stew
1T olive oil
1 onion
1-2 garlic cloves, minced
1-2 medium carrots (I use more because I like veggies)
1-2 celery stalks (see above because I love veggies)
2.5c vegetable stock
1/4c quinoa (rinsed)
1/2c lentils (rinsed)
1 T apple cider vinegar
basil and oregano to taste
14oz can diced tomatoes (or a few fresh ones)

cook onions in oil until translucent. Add garlic, carrots, and celery and sauté about 5 minutes. Pour in stock, quinoa, and lentils. Bring to a boil uncovered. Reduce heat to low/med, cover, and simmer for about 30 mins. Add herbs, tomatoes, and vinegar and cook until warmed through.

Enjoy!

Bijou

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2017, 07:45:17 PM »
I'm a meat eater who would like to cut out meat from 90% of my diet. I'm searching for vegetarian recipes that have decent amounts of protein. I used to be vegetarian when I was a teenager, and at the time didn't care about whether what I was eating was healthy, or if it had a decent amount of protein. Could have gone the whole day eating french fries, in fact I'm sure I did in college. Nowadays if I don't get protein in me at nearly every meal I feel ill. So I would love some of your favorite vegetarian recipes that have a good source of protein and ideally are not too junky. **

For my contribution in case anyone else is looking for similar ideas, I have been obsessed with garbanzo beans lately. So today I made boxed couscous but added zucchini and garbanzo beans, and a little lemon and sea salt for flavoring. Oh and onions and garlic, which are a standard for almost every meal I make so I sometimes don't think about mentioning it :)

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

**Amending the post to say that I would love recipes without protein too - because I just realized some of them could be vegetarian side dishes to the main dish. As long as it's tasty and favored by you, I'd love to hear your recipes!
Have you tried qunioa?  I like the Ancient Harvest white quinoa.  It's already been rinsed (which apparently you have to do, otherwise, and it doesn't sound that simple, to rid it of some kind of bitter flavor or something).  When I cook it I put it first in a dry skillet and kind of toast it a little to get a more toasty flavor.   It is higher in protein than some grains, I think.  It takes only 15 minutes to cook and is versatile, replacing rice (which is higher glycemic) or other grains.  I cook it in chicken stock or water.  It works in soup, too, or as a kind of tabuli or couscous salad.  In soup I would add it after all is done cooking, same as I do for noodles or pasta.
 http://vegetarian.about.com/od/glossary/g/whatisquinoa.htm
I really enjoy vegetable curries.  I just saute some veggies with EVOO, pressed garlic, add in some curry powder and a little ground cardamom, some chicken stock and a little half and half, or canned coconut milk.  The veggies I like to  use are zucchini, yellow crook neck squash, carrots, shredded savoy cabbage, potatoes, maybe a little chopped cilantro and a slice of lemon.  The lemon can curdle the half an half (but I don't care  :)  You can put a dollop of yogurt on top, or add some tofu or garbanzo beans.  You can serve it over quinoa.
I made a good wrap using Alvarado street sprouted fajita size tortillas.  I saute chopped crimini mushroom in some extra virgin olive oil with pressed garlic and a little dry thyme leaves, then add shredded curly kale or chard which has been striped from the big stems and saute until done.  Instead of cheese, I spread a little mayo on the heated tortilla, maybe sprinkle it with a little Parmesan cheese or drizzle some  Pico Pica hot sauce on it.  I sometimes put a scrambled egg with it, and/or chopped avocado.  You can add some beans to the sauteed veggies. 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 07:48:40 PM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

cicero

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2017, 07:58:33 PM »
I'm a big foodie, great cook, and was a vegetarian off and on for many yeawrs. I'm fact, I was a non dairy vegetarian for a while. I cook from scratch and avoid the "fake meats".

What I learned many years ago, is to look at ethnic /regional foods. Many of these dishes rely mostly or entirely on vegetarian proteins combined with grains to make a superior complete protein. Sometimes small amounts of animal protein is afded, and when a culture/region became more affluent they added larger amounts of neat/chiucjen/fish.

So, this would be your:
Beans and rice
Beans and pasta
Couscous with vegetable/chickpea stew
Stuffed vegetable (rice with nuts)
Vegetable curries over rice
Hummus and while wheat pita
Stir fry with nuts and bean sprouts over brown rice or noodles
Pad Thai with p peanuts
Various doughs stuffed with vegetables (from knish to calzones to spring rolls to empanadas to burekas) - mushrooms, cheese and spinach, kasha

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

lilfox

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2017, 09:27:15 PM »
Just to clear something up, mushrooms, chickpeas and quinoa might have more protein than say green veggies or white rice, but at 2 g/2 g/8 g protein per cup respectively, I'd not consider them "high" in protein. For contrast, a cup of black beans has 39 g protein and pinto beans have 41 g, while tofu has 20. Also for reference, chicken has 38 g per cup.

The source I have (granted it's through a grocery store) lists mushrooms as 3g per cup and chickpeas as 14g per cup, with black beans also 14g per cup and pintos at 12 per cup.  Prevention magazine online has similar numbers for chickpeas and black beans.  Granted, not nearly as much as chicken, but pretty good, particularly in combinations.

Bijou

« Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 12:26:52 AM »
I think you have to combine vegetable/grain sources to get the full spectrum of amino acids and I'm not sure even then that you can.  I don't know.  If I were going to do strict vegetarian with no animal protein of any kind I would want to have a good solid reference book to guide me.  What that would be, I don't know. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #22 on: Yesterday at 06:34:10 AM »
The "full spectrum of amino acids" thing is a bit of a trumped up fear for some non-vegetarians. Any modern nutritionist will tell you you don't have to fill in some complex puzzle to get enough or the right kind of protein. There are some rarer vitamins it can be hard but not impossible to get, but that's it. Only a "salad only" vegetarian or person with other bad habits will have a hard time getting the basics.

Anyway, someone just cutting back doesn't have to worry at all, really.