News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• February 20, 2017, 05:55:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Synesthesia - or: weird conditions I didn't know there was a name for  (Read 2804 times)

Chez Miriam

Re: Synesthesia - or: weird conditions I didn't know there was a name for
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2017, 06:47:33 AM »
Hmmmmm, this was an enlightening thought. Thank you!
 I did hear Italian gender particles, but it was just that, normal pieces, I don't think this was it for me.
I mentioned the blow to my head that may have exacerbated my gender-assignation with the blaring tinnitus. (which I thought was normal and everyone hears the sirens).
So I think I am blaming a head injury** for both anomalies.

**I was in steel & leather strap leg braces from ankle/sole of foot to hip from 9 months old until 8 years old. Born with a club foot, experimental surgery at 5 days old. {{it worked!}} (umm yeah, think of Forest Gump movie-it's how it was back then)  As my parents tell it, at 14 months old (with all that gear) I climbed the giant backyard apple tree.  They begged me to come down, threatened to call the police and  fire department-blah blah blah. When a fireman started climbing, he shook the branch I was on to make me let loose (freaking idiot!) and I dropped about 12 feet and landed my head square on a chunk of rock.  Five days in a coma and Poof! Healed and I was the terror of Congress Avenue again.

"Run, Forest, run!"<---movie made me cry, Daddy coached me later to run Track, I was a champ.

[[ok, that was boring, lets move on]]

{{hugs}} for going through that.  I didn't find it boring, I found it interesting!  I had a friend who survived a catastrophic car crash [prognosis was 'not survive', then when he stayed alive: 'survive but in PVS', and after he started to stir: 'maybe regain consciousness'] - he's now a different person [and doesn't believe that he was a less-than-lovely character before the brain damage :-\ ].  The most tiny-but-fascinating part to me is how he went from near-vampire in his levels of sun exposure to almost-a-lizard; he can bask all day long, whereas I'd never known him even sit outdoors before the accident.  Some switch in his brain must have flicked.

<snip>
Except maybe -- if I know a person well enough to 'hear' their voice in my head, all written communication with them comes across in their voice.  I had a close friend on another forum. There they keep the knowledge of moderator's identities secret; I don't know the identities of any of the other mods, but "ModLaurel" spoke with my friend's voice.  Other people's written words I 'hear' in generic male or female voices. 
<snip>

Now I'm wondering if most people don't have this?  I love Christmas letters, as I can 'hear' my friend(s) reading them to me, and anything other than a brief email 'sounds' the same.

I often recognise people by their speech*, so I am occasionally mystified as to identity when I don't know a person well enough to have heard them speak enough times for it to have lodged in my brain.  My husband doesn't understand how I can not recognise the "log people" when there aren't on their logging tractor [my context for 'knowing' them].  I may have waved at them several times a week in logging season, but it doesn't mean I have a clue who they are in the supermarket... :-[

So why, then am I so great at knowing that lady is from the library/bus/gym?  I can't recognise some cousins, but I can place the man from the greengrocers. :-[ :-[

* I think that, together with my now-departed ability to remember numbers, made me such a good telephonist/receptionist?
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

LadyDyani

« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2017, 09:50:47 AM »
I hear the voices when I read something as well. For example, I saw the first Harry Potter movie before I was introduced to the books, then when I read the books it was in the movie voices, although the characters in the book didn't look like the movie actors.

I think mine is a weirdish form of dyslexia/synesthesia? The letters F and N are interchangeable. Letters F, N, and the number 4 are all green, and the number 8 is purple. 1 is white, 2 is blue. I didn't realize how many numbers and letters have assigned colors in my mind until I just started thinking about it.

3 is yellow. I always associate the number 3 with pain, because when I'm achy it feels like an ugly mustard yellow, nausea is greenish-yellow, and a sharp pain (like a cut or pinch or stubbed toe) is sunshine bright yellow.

It's pretty mild though - I don't really notice it, since it doesn't feel wrong IYKWIM.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

RooRoo

• I’m out of my mind. Please leave a message.
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2017, 12:46:51 AM »
This has been fascinating!

When I read Miz A's post, I reacted with "Well, of course flavors have texture!" Then I had to stop and think...  :)

I, too, have loud tinnitus. I'm sitting here in the middle of a blizzard, with the sound of the wind driving the snow across the fields, making drifts. There is an occasional gong in my left ear, causing deafness that lasts a wee bit. Occasionally a very short trumpet blast. And, yet, I still hear very well.

Music, oh my goodness. I liked some musicians and disliked others, even if I liked the song. I finally figured out - or my choir leader did and told me - that I have perfect pitch. (There is a new, better name for it but I can't remember it.) Hearing music that is even a hair off key is painful, like lightening striking through my brain.

Intuition... is it really instinct (or psychic), or is it just a super-fast string of "observe, apply logic, deduce"? My mother worked in the Reading and Study Skills Lab at a well-known university. She had no Special Ed type training except the research she did going along - but she got to the point where she could read a student's paper once, and know what kind of learning disability they had.

I'm the same way with dogs and horses; I know what they're thinking. I'm not "reading their minds." I'm processing body language, sound, and sometimes smell, and using that to put myself in their heads.

Oops, almost got into lecture mode there. I can bore y'all into idiocy talking about that stuff.

Oh, I also see spoken words in print.

Time to go to bed!

…though he by no means wished to accept the invitation, he had not yet acquired the necessary power of decidedly saying No.
     Mrs. Edgeworth, The Parents Assistant, “The Mimic;” 1795

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2017, 07:42:24 AM »
I, too, have loud tinnitus. I'm sitting here in the middle of a blizzard, with the sound of the wind driving the snow across the fields, making drifts. There is an occasional gong in my left ear, causing deafness that lasts a wee bit. Occasionally a very short trumpet blast. And, yet, I still hear very well.

I have tinnitus too - not loud, but constant.  Mine is more like a long drawn out single note in the higher registers.  Sometimes it gets much louder and everything else kind of ...fades... away.  I also have some weird other weird hearing issues.  I'm tone deaf, which I'm told might be due to extensive ear infections as a child.  It made trying to tune my clarinet when I played interesting.  I needed to have someone else tell me if I was sharp or flat.  I have issues with souds at high registers; the sounds become physically painful after awhile.  Opera makes me want to cry due to how painful it is for me to listen to, and one scream from a young child makes me feel like someone just stuck an ice pick in my brain.  The amount of noise my nieces and nephew can generate during a family dinner has been enough to give me migraines. 

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
I have pretty severe tinnitus as well, though only my right ear is affected.  It's a loud ringing, like after you've been in a loud bar or at a concert, but it never goes away and it drowns out or warps everything else.  It's caused by Meniere's syndrome.
"After all this time?"
"Always."