Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5647654 times)

greencat

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #30015 on: Yesterday at 06:34:19 PM »
I've always thought that the retractable leashes were intended to be used short (and locked) when you're somewhere that's at all crowded (like a sidewalk, shared-use pathway, etc.). And that you only let your dog go on a longer leash when you know where he's going, and the way is clear.

But maybe it's not easy to retract them.

That's how I use mine.

Hillia

« Reply #30016 on: Yesterday at 06:41:46 PM »
I've always thought that the retractable leashes were intended to be used short (and locked) when you're somewhere that's at all crowded (like a sidewalk, shared-use pathway, etc.). And that you only let your dog go on a longer leash when you know where he's going, and the way is clear.

That's how I use mine.

They're not always easy to retract, and if the dog is strong enough and pulling away, 'retract' means 'walk towards the dog as fast as you can'.

I hate those things, they are awful.  I have only seen one good use: a friend recently adopted a retired show dog.  The dog, while not abused, has lived most of its life in a kennel.  Friend has several acres of beautiful, unfenced land.  The dog is so excited about her new found freedom that she wants to take off running - not safe for a small dog in an area with lots of coyotes, hawks, owls, eagles, not to mention to lesser-seen mountain lions, wolves, and bears.  So my friend is using the retractable leash to walk the dog around the property while she gets acclimated - she has a little more freedom but can't get too far away.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Seraphim

• The impossible I do every day -- miracles merely take a few more phone-calls.
  • I'm not short, I'm concentrated Awesome!
« Reply #30017 on: Yesterday at 06:54:02 PM »
I use a retractable on my silky terrorist when we go to the dog beach, or park - somewhere where the other dogs are all off leash anyway.

Lucy has way to much terrorist in her terrier to be let loose :) The little sod will get a scent, and off she goes. I am way to fat and lazy to have to chase her down, hence the leash. The labra-doofuses will both come when called.

RubyCat

« Reply #30018 on: Yesterday at 09:43:30 PM »
Our Siberian Husky absolutely cannot be allowed off leash in an unfenced area. She will not come when called and has gotten into a fair amount of trouble the few times she has gotten out. The retractable leash allows her to run more than she would be able to on a 6 ft leash. When walking her around the neighborhood, I prefer the short leash.

The retractable leash was especially useful for the times when dh took the dog to chase the turkeys out of the yard. Dh would try to shoo them and they didn't care. They cared when he brought the dog out. She really enjoyed chasing them but we were able to keep her from catching them. Her poor old legs just can't do it anymore but until recently, it was one of her favorite games.  What a sight they were. The neighbors must think we're crazy.  ;D

greencat

« Reply #30019 on: Yesterday at 09:48:34 PM »
Our Siberian Husky absolutely cannot be allowed off leash in an unfenced area. She will not come when called and has gotten into a fair amount of trouble the few times she has gotten out. The retractable leash allows her to run more than she would be able to on a 6 ft leash. When walking her around the neighborhood, I prefer the short leash.

The retractable leash was especially useful for the times when dh took the dog to chase the turkeys out of the yard. Dh would try to shoo them and they didn't care. They cared when he brought the dog out. She really enjoyed chasing them but we were able to keep her from catching them. Her poor old legs just can't do it anymore but until recently, it was one of her favorite games.  What a sight they were. The neighbors must think we're crazy.  ;D

Huskies were bred to run and run and run and run.  When I had one, and she got loose out in the country, we found her five miles away, which was fortunately just two houses down in the rural area.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #30020 on: Yesterday at 09:54:19 PM »

Huskies were bred to run and run and run and run.  When I had one, and she got loose out in the country, we found her five miles away, which was fortunately just two houses down in the rural area.
And they have no homing instinct.  So by the time they're done running and running and running, they're miles away from home with absolutely no idea how to get back.  If I ever have a husky again, she's going to be chipped as a puppy.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

RubyCat

« Reply #30021 on: Yesterday at 10:02:37 PM »
Didn't realize about the lack of homing instinct. Mine always found her way home, but when she was young, the German Shepherd would escape with her. Maybe he was the one who led the way home.

Margo

« Reply #30022 on: Today at 04:26:27 AM »

That's how I use mine.

Yes, he only time I've ever used one was with my godmother's dog, but that was how it worked - short leash when walking, allow it to extend when you get to the beach or the park or the field. And she always impressed on us that if we were walking the dog it was our responsibility to make sure that dog didn't bother anyone or make a nuisance of herself.

Gyburc

« Reply #30023 on: Today at 06:14:05 AM »
I have no experience of retractable leashes (never owned a dog) but even a normal leash can cause havoc if not used properly. So often I see an SS walking down a busy pavement with their dog trotting five feet away from them, leash stretched in between them. People automatically head into the gap, then have to stop and make their way round either dog or owner, as they go their merry way.  >:( Someone is bound to get tripped up sooner or later.
When you look into the photocopier, the photocopier also looks into you

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
« Reply #30024 on: Today at 08:19:31 AM »
Last night's snowfall brought out the driving snowflakes. My Dad and I went out for an early dinner and on the way back, just as it was turning dark and definitely while it was still snowing, we counted four people driving without their headlights on, one person driving after just having cleared off their front windshield and driver's side window, and worst of all, one person who tried to cut directly in front of a sirens-full ambulance that was no more than thirty feet away. Dad said the driver was on her cell phone, which is also against the rules here in Maryland.

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

HorseFreak

« Reply #30025 on: Today at 08:22:16 AM »
Retractable leashes make me want to run with scissors when I'm out on the pedestrian/bike path at the local park. I've had some VERY close calls of being nearly trip-wired by retractable leashes when dogs dart across the 10' path with a nearly invisible narrow cord strung across. They cannot be actively retracted like a tape measure, you have to pull the dog back to you or walk to the dog to retract it and remove the tension. Not to mention dogs with a high prey drive like to run after joggers and get plenty of room to do it on those!

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #30026 on: Today at 10:59:14 AM »
We use flexi-leads at home, but we live in a rural area and only use them when walking on the road which is not at all busy. Two cars going by in an hour qualifies as rush hour.

On topic, I'm nominating the two women in wheelchairs I saw last night crossing against the light into oncoming traffic. At night. Without reflective wear. On a very busy street. I was reaching for my phone to call 911 as I was watching one of them- she rolled right in front of a car. Luckily the driver had good brakes- I was afraid she was going to get run over.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls