Author Topic: Autocorrect Screamers  (Read 989 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: Autocorrect Screamers
« Reply #30 on: Yesterday at 08:52:54 PM »
I sew.

Most sewing terms are not in the auto correct dictionary for my Android tablet or ereader.  I know that I have had to add them to my laptop's dictionary. 

If I am using my serger and the autocorrect keeps changing that to surgery or surge - it is not the same thing.

I forget what it comes up with for some of the more uncommon terms.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

BigBadBetty

« Reply #31 on: Yesterday at 08:54:10 PM »
My absolute favourite was trying to text a friend "I am here" and I hit the 't' instead of 'r' so it changed it to "I am heterosexual."

Like Lady Snowdon, my phone doesn't want me to swear! I can type the first few letters of one and it will suggest nothing rather than a swear word, whereas it usually gives me about four options for common words with even one letter.

Unlike some people here I love auto correct. I think it's hilarious and usually the predictive text works pretty well. I often don't have to type anything if I'm typing a message I write a lot, like "I am on the way home", each word will pop up as the first suggestion for me. I have a Samsung 3, so nothing too fancy.

I enjoy it, too! I have the Swype keyboard installed on my Note 2. I don't have any swear words in my dictionary so it will correct my swearing to an innocent similarly spelled word. My boyfriend and I won't correct our autocorrect failures so the other gets to enjoy them (unless we are in a time crunch and clear communications is essential).

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #32 on: Yesterday at 09:43:59 PM »
I can only assume that the popularity of s3xting has made it so that autocorrect expects all words to be obscene unless proven otherwise.

I did get a giggle out of autocorrect refusing to admit the phrase "dingdangity autocorrect!" exists.
Really, you think phone companies are catering to the very small percentage of their customers who may be sexting?

Autocorrect won't change a word to an obscene word unless you've used the word before. So in the OP's case, she must have typed bollocks before. Swear words or slang such as vag aren't default. Vag was just highlighted as I wrote it and autocorrect tried to change it to a "real word".

Actually, I don't believe that. I've had autocorrect suggest words that I have never, ever used. Not necessarily obscene, just odd.

I suspect that there is a default dictionary, probably based on the percentage of words used in texts, and obscene ones rank somewhat higher than they do in ordinary conversation.

I have always wondered about this from reading the site <swear word> you, Autocorrect!  There are *so* many cases that autocorrect seems to change perfectly normal words into swear words.  I've wondered if it really has that many swear words in its dictionary (and some of them are really, really nasty, not common ones like the one in the website title), or if this just happens to people who text those words a lot and so they end up in the dictionary.

They are using those words often in other messages. Autocorrect doesn't have swear words in it's dictionary. You have to use them in order for them to show up later in a text.

I have a -lot- of trouble believing this.

But I would say that I don't get why the company's -would- include those in the dictionary. And why they wouldn't write an algorithm that minimizes the chances they'll be proposed by autocorrect. A "forbidden" list, if you will--not that you're forbidden from using them, but that autocorrect is forbidden from suggesting them.

But I see that some people's phones won't let them swear.

HiverFleur

« Reply #33 on: Yesterday at 10:29:43 PM »
I can only assume that the popularity of s3xting has made it so that autocorrect expects all words to be obscene unless proven otherwise.

I did get a giggle out of autocorrect refusing to admit the phrase "dingdangity autocorrect!" exists.
Really, you think phone companies are catering to the very small percentage of their customers who may be sexting?

Autocorrect won't change a word to an obscene word unless you've used the word before. So in the OP's case, she must have typed bollocks before. Swear words or slang such as vag aren't default. Vag was just highlighted as I wrote it and autocorrect tried to change it to a "real word".

Actually, I don't believe that. I've had autocorrect suggest words that I have never, ever used. Not necessarily obscene, just odd.

I suspect that there is a default dictionary, probably based on the percentage of words used in texts, and obscene ones rank somewhat higher than they do in ordinary conversation.

I have always wondered about this from reading the site <swear word> you, Autocorrect!  There are *so* many cases that autocorrect seems to change perfectly normal words into swear words.  I've wondered if it really has that many swear words in its dictionary (and some of them are really, really nasty, not common ones like the one in the website title), or if this just happens to people who text those words a lot and so they end up in the dictionary.

They are using those words often in other messages. Autocorrect doesn't have swear words in it's dictionary. You have to use them in order for them to show up later in a text.

I have a -lot- of trouble believing this.

But I would say that I don't get why the company's -would- include those in the dictionary. And why they wouldn't write an algorithm that minimizes the chances they'll be proposed by autocorrect. A "forbidden" list, if you will--not that you're forbidden from using them, but that autocorrect is forbidden from suggesting them.

But I see that some people's phones won't let them swear.

If swear words/offensive words were part of their dictionary, you wouldn't need detailed instructions on how to change your settings to allow swearing. There are also tutorials for Apple. Google is full of articles about how autocorrect has a list of banned words, and how hard it is to "cuss on your phone".

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/01/20/how-to-swear-on-android-and-disable-blocking-offensive-words/
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 10:39:47 PM by HiverFleur »

P12663

• I can take dragons. Or give them away. Honest.
« Reply #34 on: Yesterday at 11:12:32 PM »
My Autocorrect-Is-Driving-Me-Up-The-Wall episode - I was writing about a family with the surname of T-e-h.  Family's surname got changed to T-e-h (complete with dashes).  I figure when I am done, I will turn off autocorrect and then do a find/replace operation on it.

Oh, it gets changed to The, even here.

Xandraea

« Reply #35 on: Today at 02:16:54 AM »
I keep appointments in my phone's calendar, and every time I type "ortho" for orthodontist, my phone suggests "orthodoxy", which is a word I've never typed on purpose, and I always have to delete back to just ortho.

Peppergirl

« Reply #36 on: Today at 02:41:57 AM »
One of my favorite recent pins on Pinterest was the following:

"Dear iPhone.  I am never saying 'ducking'.

And yes, I pinned it.  >:D