News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 07, 2016, 10:52:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 2054972 times)

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #8280 on: December 04, 2016, 01:26:46 PM »
How long ago was this? I can't recall ever seeing a car without A/C, except for maybe a the Beetle that my parents had when I was a kid.

I'm 28 and cars with a/c were rare among my family.

Although it was more "This car had a/c at some point but its borked and the kids can just sweat, I need cigarettes." (Or in my mom's case "Car's a/c does not work, but can't afford to fix it.") Apparently a few of us as kids nodded off in the car during drives and were later found to have heat sickness. And my dear aunt, whose van had a heater that she blasted in Texas Summer, while locking all the passenger windows and chain smoking. I didn't learn until I was 19 and started smoking for a month or so what the strange wobbliness I'd get after riding with Aunt was. Nicotine high! (Its been nine years since I smoked a cigarette and I still kinda want one. Not enough to buy a pack but I would bum or buy one off a smoker if I knew any.)

My first car had no a/c, I just kept all the windows down and carried a hair brush. It was a '91 Honda Civic and I miss it terribly, where I live now the lack of a/c wouldn't matter. But when it hit triple digits I cursed its lack of cooling almost as much as I adored its amazing gas mileage.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #8281 on: Today at 08:31:21 AM »
Long long ago.  1979 to be exact.  I don't think I have seen a car without air conditioning in the past ten years.  I do see an occasional manual transmission, but they are rare.

I think that the Honda dealer told us that they sell about 10% a year with manual transmissions.  I know this because we always order a manual transmission when we buy our car.  :)  Since we live in snow central, having that extra ability to slow down on ice by downshifting is extra important to us.  Add in that my spouse drives on some pretty crummy roads about a 100 miles a day, and it makes a manual transmission a necessity for us.

That's what I keep telling people!  Manual transmissions are actually better in snow, for those who know how to drive a stick.
And, in the Washington DC area where I am, I think a manual car is less likely to be stolen, too.
(Note:  I do *not* hit rush hour traffic when going to and from work. I carefully considered that when picking out my manual car.)
« Last Edit: Today at 08:34:30 AM by LadyJaneinMD »

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #8282 on: Today at 09:30:46 AM »
Manual cars are very definitely less likely to be stolen.  There are fewer and fewer people who know how to drive stick any more.  They used to be more fuel efficient than an automatic but with CVTs and some of the other advances, automatic fuel mileage can be as good or better than manual.

I still remember the day at work we were getting a lot of snow and it was suggested that we move our vehicles from the parking lot at the bottom of the hill to a different one at the top of the hill.  I went first, put it in second gear to start off and walked right up the hill with just all season tires on it.  My coworker with the big boat of a car needed to be pushed to get going.  And my other coworker with a manual couldn't get up the hill, even with pushing.  I finally went to the driver's window and asked, 'What gear are you in?'  'First.'  'Put it in second.'  Walked right up.  If it is really icy, I'll even start in third.  It's tricky to not stall but it makes it a lot easier to get going, especially in a Subaru with all wheel drive.

DF and I were coming back from my Dads a few weeks ago.  He was driving my car because I'd been doing most of the driving that day and wanted a break.  As luck would have it, we hit a traffic jam due to a construction lane closure.  As it continued, I realized he was going to start having trouble with his knees because of all the shifting so when the traffic came to a dead stop, we jumped out and changed drivers.  Good job - we were in that for over an hour.  And hit another slow down that we were able to bypass and actually picked up time.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Mustard

« Reply #8283 on: Today at 10:11:21 AM »
I think only about a quarter of new cars sold in the U.K. are automatic; I've never driven one and I've been driving 40+ years.

Figgie

« Reply #8284 on: Today at 10:31:56 AM »
Manual cars are very definitely less likely to be stolen.  There are fewer and fewer people who know how to drive stick any more.  They used to be more fuel efficient than an automatic but with CVTs and some of the other advances, automatic fuel mileage can be as good or better than manual.

We have been told that by everyone and even Consumer Reports says that the mileage difference is minimal.  But our real life experiences are very different.  We have friends with the exact same model car as ours, only automatic transmission.  These friends drive almost the same amount of highway driving as my spouse and in fact might drive more, since his commute is longer than my spouses.  We routinely get 7-9 mpg more than they do.  Which has happened with every manual transmission car that we have owned...whenever we compare it to the same model with an automatic transmission, our mileage is always a minimum of 5 mpg better. :)

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #8285 on: Today at 10:34:38 AM »
Depends on how you drive that manual.  If you are easy on the accelerations and deccelerations, you can definitely save on gas.  But if you like to show up the punks in the souped up car next to you at the light when it turns green, not so much.   ;D
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Figgie

« Reply #8286 on: Today at 10:41:13 AM »
Depends on how you drive that manual.  If you are easy on the accelerations and deccelerations, you can definitely save on gas.  But if you like to show up the punks in the souped up car next to you at the light when it turns green, not so much.   ;D

LOL!  I can't picture my spouse ever driving like that.  He is very mild-mannered and not the least bit competitive, at least not that way.  :)  And you are right...he isn't impatient and so he doesn't speed.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #8287 on: Today at 10:45:32 AM »
I will admit to doing it once or twice.  But always topped out at the speed limit, where they would blow past me.  And then they'd be the one picked off by the cops.
Ontario