Author Topic: In Retrospect, I Should Have Walked When....  (Read 7725 times)

chi2kcldy

Re: In Retrospect, I Should Have Walked When....
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2014, 08:09:47 PM »
I have a lot...

First job out of HS was an upscale department store. I worked in Ladies Coats. These were furs and expensive leather coats. We would keep the coats on a rope style lock. The company rule was one coat unlocked per guest. No expectations. The job was hourly but you would receive commission on any sale over $200.

While in training the department manager tells me not to take any grieve from the shoppers. Then said they like to be pampered but don't cross the line of pampering to a55 kissing. I just said OK and left it alone.

I should have quit at that moment. These were some snotty women. The shoppers treated us like dog poop on the bottom of a shoe. It was deplorable to watch some of my coworkers be treated like servants just b/c someone is trying on an expensive coat.

I was helping a "trophy wife" when she told me to hold her purse and don't steal it. She knows how "my people" like to steal. I was at a lost for words. I was 18 and really needed this job. I said nothing.  >:(

The final straw was when a lady demanded I go to a coffee shop in the mall before it closed.  When I declined she snapped her fingers at a lady standing by me to do it. Big mistake. The lady standing beside me was my mother. She was waiting for my shift to end to drive me home. Let's just say that was the last day I worked there and the last day my mother was allowed in that store.....  :'(

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2014, 09:16:23 PM »
I think I love your mother.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

BeagleMommy

« Reply #47 on: Yesterday at 04:23:19 PM »
I should have ended the short-term dating I did with my dad's boss's kid (got that?) when no other girl in his school would go to his prom with him.  His mother asked if I'd go with him and I ended up dating him for about 3 months prior to the prom.  There were reasons no other girl would go with him.

I worked for a medical supply company for about a year before DH and I married.  One day the owner screamed at me for not doing something.  When I told him I had never been trained to do the job and was never told it was part of my duties he screamed "Well, what else don't you know?!".   :o

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #48 on: Yesterday at 06:48:59 PM »
To that boss I would have answered something like, 'Klingon' or 'String Theory'. 

Frog24

« Reply #49 on: Yesterday at 06:58:16 PM »
relationship-wise, I should've walked when he:
  • He asked me: "Why don't you ever wear pretty clothes?  All you have are jeans and t-shirts." (I was 20, and in University, so that's all everyone ever wore.)
  • Didn't want me hanging out in group environments with just guys, because while he trusted me not to cheat, he didn't trust the guys not to make moves.  It was just better that I didn't have guy friends because they'd only be interested in hitting on me.
  • Started berating me on the way I pronounced words.  "It's pronounced 'pah-sta', not 'paa-sta'.  'A's' in Italian are soft, not hard".
  • Didn't want me to take an out-of-town job because one of his past girlfriends took an out-of-town job and she cheated on him.  Naturally, I would do the same.

What can I say?  I was only 20 and it was my first "real" relationship.  Thankfully, it only lasted 8 months, but that was still 5 months too long.

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #50 on: Yesterday at 08:35:50 PM »
From the other side of the desk, I should have rescinded the employment offer when he was answering texts during his orientation.  Because I'm firing him on Friday.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #51 on: Today at 10:09:06 AM »
I should have demanded we stop the training charade when employee M did not improve from session to session. I tried everything. Manuals, hands on training, shadowing other staff performing the same task, had her go to another location to train. Nothing worked.

We never pinpointed the issue, but she did not learn from week to week, no matter what I did. Then started telling her supervisor she was scared of me. Sigh. She failed probation and ended up being laid off a few months later from a receptionist position.

Baby Snakes

« Reply #52 on: Today at 01:10:05 PM »
Back in my young and single days I was totally in love with my then-boyfriend.  He had this unfortunate habit of noticing every young lady and telling me how beautiful they were.  If I wasn't so naive at the time I would have shown him the road for good, but no, we dated for about 6 months before I got tired of it.  I ran into him years later and he was still mystified about how I "dumped" him with no warning.

Shalamar

« Reply #53 on: Today at 01:18:40 PM »
I should've spoken up sooner when the guy I was training still hadn't progressed from the first training module after three days. There were five training modules to go through at one's own pace, and each module usually took  no more than a day.   Every time I asked this guy how he was doing, he'd answer "Fine!  I just need to go over (blah) a bit more, and then I should be ready to proceed with Module 1."   Mystified as to why it was taking him so long, I'd ask "Do you need any help?  Any clarification?", and he'd answer cheerfully "No!  Everything's fine."   

I was pretty new at training other people at that time, so I didn't know what to do.  Fortunately, my supervisor asked me on the QT how the guy was doing, and when I said "Not well - he's still stuck on Module 1", she said "That's what I thought."  He was moved onto another project the next day.

carol1412

« Reply #54 on: Today at 01:28:49 PM »
When I was in the hospital having my second C-section due to high-risk pregnancy, the doctor asked him if he wanted to suit up and be in the room with me and he said "No, thanks. I've been through this once already."

It didn't get much better after that, but still took 5 years for him to cheat on me (probably not for the first time) and decide he had greener pastures to frolic in.