News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 27, 2016, 02:16:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2017 Eclipse - Viewing, Camping, other  (Read 686 times)

Lynnv

Re: 2017 Eclipse - Viewing, Camping, other
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2016, 05:29:55 PM »
We drove to Arizona for the annular eclipse in 2015.   For the 2017 trip, we already have reservations in Douglas, WY.   I have my fingers crossed that the weather will hold. 

This is one of the very few things for which DH will get a sub and have a planned day out of school (he teaches Physics and Astronomy). 
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

katiescarlett

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2016, 04:16:45 PM »
Oh, I am super excited about this thread!! My baby brother's 27th birthday is August 21 of next year, and he, his girlfriend, my little sister, I and possibly my other brother and his wife are going to Portland to see it. I'm glad I saw this, as the suggestions to look into booking lodgings now is a great idea!!

I would love to meet some e-hellions while in Oregon. I am in southeastern Oklahoma, a long way away.  :D

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 04:47:01 PM »
The total part of it will miss Omaha, Nebraska, where I am, but will pass over Lincoln, 50 miles away.  I'm thinking about going.  The Strategic Air and Space museum is about half way between Omaha and Lincoln.  It would be so cool to watch it from their parking lot.  I'll check local media when the date is closer to see if it will be total there.

My local newspaper showed the route and the amount of time the sun will be completely blocked for cities in Nebraska and north west Missouri.  It looks like it will last about 2 minutes in all of those cities.  I don't know about any of you, but I'm not going to drive another 100 miles to get an extra few seconds of totality.

I have family in Omaha and we're plannin to meet & watch in Grand Island.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

oogyda

« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 07:25:28 PM »
This is interesting!  And kind of exciting.  I could arrange to be on a hilltop between Driggs and Victor (Idaho). 
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #19 on: Yesterday at 07:44:20 PM »
DH and I just have to make plans for that day. That will be our 40th wedding anniversary. We got married at 2pm(ET) August 21, 1977.

My DDIL's parents live in Portland TN, and we live not far from Lebanon TN. Both towns are in the totality line.

JoW

« Reply #20 on: Yesterday at 09:01:37 PM »
I have family in Omaha and we're planning to meet & watch in Grand Island.
According to the Omaha World Herald last week totality in Lincoln will last 1 minute, 24 seconds.  It will last 2 minutes 34 seconds in Grand Island.  On a normal day Grand Island is 2 hours drive time west of Lincoln.  I'm thinking on eclipse day it will be more like 4 hours.  I'll probably watch from a shopping center parking lot near I-80 on the east edge of Lincoln.  Its a 1 hour drive from my house, but I'll allow at least 2 hours that day. 

Looking at jedikaiti's profile, she'll be coming in from the west.  Grand Island makes sense for her but not for me. 
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:03:36 PM by JoW »

snowfire

« Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 09:37:00 PM »
I've been making plans for this one ever since I found out about it.  DH and I had to skip the trip we had planned for our 25th anniversary to go see the one in Australia.  I got new knees instead. 

This one goes right over our area & we are planning to watch it from our cabin.  Ordering a solar filter for the telescope.  ;D

DollyPond

« Reply #22 on: Today at 10:04:49 AM »
.....snip..
 but I'm not sure that I'd really be able to tell the difference the 0.4% would make.

The 0.4% will make a lot of difference.  You can only see the solar corona (the most impressive part of a total solar eclipse) if there is 100% obscuration. You can see that in this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_qo2CdcyC0)[you can mute the overly dramatic music] that, even if there's a little sliver of the sun not covered, the corona is not visible.  It would be totally worth the extra effort to see it in its totality.