News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• May 26, 2016, 03:39:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DECLUTTERING  (Read 99838 times)

siamesecat2965

Re: DECLUTTERING
« Reply #825 on: Yesterday at 09:17:03 AM »

We've had a laptop computer now for about 6 years, but still have the big, fat, old monitor and tower from our old set up.  Why, you ask?  I have no idea!  W

If you have Best Buy near you, if you bring it in, they'll recycle at no charge. I had two old towers and a giant moniter. I pulled the hard drives from each, which I still have, but took the guts in to recycle.
Unfortunately, we don't have a Best Buy near us.  There is a guy who teaches electronics at a local high school and he does take things in for students to work on.  I think he would even accept these.  I should check with him.  I would also pull the hard drive.  Even though there isn't anything sensitive  like financial stuff which we never do in the computer, it makes me uncomfortable to think someone is looking at anything of mine.  I have writing and drawings in there and lots of emails over the years and I don't think you really can completely delete information from a hard drive.

Maybe check out some other electronic stores? I also know in my town, you can take it to the recycle center there.

I hear you; that's why I still have my hard drives. I know you can do stuff to destroy, etc. but they take up so little room, I figured I'd just hang onto them, to be on the safe side.

crazycatlady331

« Reply #826 on: Today at 01:10:38 PM »
We've had a laptop computer now for about 6 years, but still have the big, fat, old monitor and tower from our old set up.  Why, you ask?  I have no idea!  We also have a five shelf unit of old, obsolete computer books.  They are on their way out, but not quickly enough for me!  I think I'll tell my husband t donate them to the library annual book sale...we always go there and he buys computer books...if he thinks he can buy them back in September at that sale, he might be less hesitant to get rid of them.  On the other hand, why would I want to risk his bringing them back into the house!  Bad idea!   :o

I'm not sure if you're in the US or not, but a lot of municipalities have electronics recycling days (Google is your friend here).

I know upthread Best Buy was mentioned, and you said they're not near you.  I believe Staples also takes old electronics for recycling (I'd call first though) if you have one near you. 

siamesecat2965

« Reply #827 on: Today at 01:51:11 PM »
And the electronic recycling discussion has prompted me to finally decide to get rid of what remains of my dad's old stereo system. The speakers are already gone, but I still have the receiver, CD player and some sort of master thingy that controls the on and off and switching for it all. It literally dates from the 1980's, and is pretty much obsolete. I think i was sort of hanging onto it, thinking I could get speakers etc. nad perhaps for sentimental reasons.  But its huge and probably not compatible with anything current, so out its going.

I'm also not a huge music listener to begin with, so really I don't need anything at the moment, and when I do decide on something, I'm leaning towards something like the Bose soundtouch, a wireless music system that runs off your home's wifi. Small and has the ability to stream, which really is all I need.