News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• July 27, 2017, 10:19:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Name that insect  (Read 359 times)

HoneyBee42

Name that insect
« on: July 25, 2017, 06:16:11 PM »
At work today, there was this gigantic moth (wing span close to 5 inches) on the glass across from the restrooms.  Every picture I can find on "identify that insect" shows them from the top side, but does anyone know of a site that has pictures of the underside?

It stayed on the window until afternoon (I'm guessing that the window got too warm--the window is on the "afternoon sun" side of the building, so was in shade when I first saw it).  It was definitely a moth (feathery-looking antennae), gray-black with purplish sheen and no distinct markings from the underside.  I'd love to know what it was.  It was certainly pretty.

Luci

Re: Name that insect
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 06:34:17 PM »
At work today, there was this gigantic moth (wing span close to 5 inches) on the glass across from the restrooms.  Every picture I can find on "identify that insect" shows them from the top side, but does anyone know of a site that has pictures of the underside?

It stayed on the window until afternoon (I'm guessing that the window got too warm--the window is on the "afternoon sun" side of the building, so was in shade when I first saw it).  It was definitely a moth (feathery-looking antennae), gray-black with purplish sheen and no distinct markings from the underside.  I'd love to know what it was.  It was certainly pretty.

Where are you?

HoneyBee42

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 06:39:07 PM »
Southern Illinois

rose red

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 06:54:42 PM »
Google "underside of moths" and it brings up a whole bunch of images.

Twik

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 03:18:41 PM »
A wild guess, but a large moth that occurs in Illinois is called the "Black Witch" and seems to have a dark underside.

I don't know if this is your moth, but what a cool name!
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

HoneyBee42

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:28:52 AM »
The black witch moth looks a lot like it, except for the antennae, which looked like the polyphemus moth.

I'd never known that moths got so big.

Twik

« Reply #6 on: Today at 08:52:33 AM »
Do you have a local university? The biology department could help tell you what's the mostly likely type of moth for your locality.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."