News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• April 19, 2015, 03:11:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What went wrong on your vacation?  (Read 2311 times)

GratefulMaria

Re: What went wrong on your vacation?
« Reply #30 on: Yesterday at 06:30:47 PM »
DH was stationed in what was West Germany in the 1980's.  One holiday weekend I took a bus tour to a country behind the iron curtain.  On the return trip at the border leaving that country, the passport belonging to one of the members of our group wasn't returned with all the others.  We waited for a couple of hours until it was "found," probably after it became apparent that we weren't leaving without it.  When I got back and went on post for the required debriefing they had me write it all out.

Fast forward over a decade later and DH, DS1, DS2, and I are on a camping trip in Quebec.  Glorious, more remote regions of Quebec, visiting hydroelectric dams as though they were cathedrals.  DH got a hernia and we ended up making our way back, "camping" at motels instead.  We plan to go back some day without having a medical incident, it's one of the most gorgeous places I've ever seen, in so many different ways.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #31 on: Yesterday at 07:23:49 PM »
Back in 1976 we were going to spend 2 weeks in Venezuela with our family friends. We got down to Miami and there was an airline strike for our airline (Viasa). So we had to sprint over to Pan Am and hope they had room and would accept our tickets. They did and we were on a flight that left 5 or 6 hours later. No nice dinner in Macuto for us. Still we did spend most of that downtime at the Miami Seaquarium.

In 2013 my dad and I met my sister at Disney World. Sadly our luggage decided to chill at the Orlando Airport. The phone in my sister's and my room was on the Fritz so I had to walk to the reception area. To his credit the front desk clerk blanched when he saw that our bags were at the airport and not on the Magical Express. Which was done for the night. Since I always travel with a change of clothes in my carry-on as does my father I said "please deliver after 9 am" and we went to EPCOT early. They were there when we returned.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #32 on: Today at 01:01:16 AM »
Tour group arrested? Yeah, I know that was a sort of deliberate teaser.  Here we go--hope you have your popcorn.

We were trekking and camping in West Africa. About 15 American clients. We had two guides. One from the American tour company, who had spent a lot of time in the African country, knew how things worked and had many connections there. The other was from a local agency that had been contracted with for our camp crew, supplies and what not. Both guides were outstanding and our crew was terrific.

We'd been out in the bush for a while. We stopped in a small town to refuel the bus and take a break. We were wandering around the main drag (such as it was) when a local police offer suddenly emerged from the police station and started yelling. A public-spirited citizen had informed him that one of our group was photographing the police station, which was illegal. (It wasn't until it was all over that we knew what had really happened, but I'll put it in order.) The accused had only taken a picture of a sign near the station, however, the informant thought this was a good opportunity to ingratiate himself with the local cops.

We retreated to our bus with the tour company guide, while the local guide spent the next hour arguing with the police, who were demanding the miscreant's camera. They were speaking one of the the national languages, which the company guide did not know. The supposed photographer was really worried about losing not only the camera, but an entire roll of exposed film. The two guides decided on a ploy. One person on the tour had just loaded a camera with a new roll of film and had taken no pictures. The miscreant emerged with that camera and dramatically ripped out the roll of film. "You want my film? Here it is." The police officer was furious that he would not be able to develop the film and prove our crimes. We were informed that we were now officially detained by the police. Moreover, we were to take the cop and his informant to the big city, an hour away, to meet the district police commandant. Well, that city was out destination anyway, so off we went, tourists, camp crew, guides, cop and informant. We made one stop on the way, in the middle of nowhere, when some of us couldn't take it any more. Ladies to this side of the bus and men to that side. Fortunately, it was after dark.

When we got to Big City, we set off in search of the commandant. We had been taking our cues from the guides and had been very quiet through the whole thing. At the second stop, while the cop was in some office making inquiries, the company guide told us "OK, I've been quiet because I need to be able to work in this country.  But now it's time or you to get angry." He gave us some suggestions for what to say, but we also got creative.

When the cop got back on the bus, we erupted. We demanded immediate access to the American ambassador, claiming that the law required it. We insisted that everything being said be translated into English, even "bus driver, turn left here." One inventive guy pointed at another tourist and said "This lady is sick, She needs a doctor now." The tourist caught on, clutched her stomach and began moaning. We were noisy and obnoxious in general.

The district commandant, it seems, had gone home for the night. We wound up at his house. There was a whole lot of discussion in a local dialect that neither of our guides knew, but that the bus driver understood. Finally, we agreed to sign a piece of paper saying that we would not sell photographs of local police to America newspapers and were sent on our way.

The bus driver filled us in. Once the informant had made his spurious claim, the local cop saw an opportunity. He decided that this would be a great way to impress the commandant with his diligence, that he would not let rich tourists get away with violating photography laws. He made an impression on the commandant, all right, interrupting the man's dinner with a bus load of irate tourists loudly demanding to see the American ambassador. The commandant asked the local police guy & his informant to stay behind for a "chat" after we left. Had we been truly in he wrong, we would have been told to buy them a bus ticket back to their village. As it was, the two guys would probably be spending the rest of the night by the side of the road trying to hitchhike home.

The local police officer's career was probably not helped by the fact that the local guide worked for a tour company that was owned by an extremely well-connected and influential person who was fully capable of having his own "chat" with the national police chief.

The evil photographer go to keep the camera and all the pictures and, at the end of the trip, the tip envelopes for the guides were overflowing.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Doll Fiend

• The Dolls are in the Garden and in my Head.
« Reply #33 on: Today at 01:25:06 AM »
I think you posted that in the PD thread. Loved it then, Love it now.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: Today at 05:52:47 AM »
Tour group arrested? Yeah, I know that was a sort of deliberate teaser.  Here we go--hope you have your popcorn.

thanks! well worth the wait!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

SpottedPony

« Reply #35 on: Today at 11:22:38 AM »
Last summer, my Mom and I took a bus trip to Titusville for a train ride along Oil Creek.  Everything was going five, nice lunch, scenic train ride through a historic area.  Then, on the train, about half way back, the train stops.  Something to do with the brakes on one of the cars about three back of the locomotive.  They weren't able to fix it there, so they unhooked the cars in front of the problem car and took the passengers in those cars back to the station and would come back for the rest of us.  Now Oil Creek runs through a deep, narrow valley, so I wasn't able to get a signal on my cell to call my sister that we would be late getting home.  Then without the locomotive, there was no lights and no heat, and it was getting rather chilly when they finally got back to us.  Then there was the poor lady who was riding in the post office/snack bar car.  She was in one of those big electric wheelchairs, and I also believe she was on oxygen too, they took her out by ambulance.  They had to carry her out on a stretcher to the ambulance and take her back to the station.  She arrived at the station in the ambulance just after we did.  I wonder when she got her wheelchair back.  An interesting trip.

Spotted Pony

Chibikoky

« Reply #36 on: Today at 12:59:04 PM »
A few years back, Mom finally got it in her head to go to Yellowstone. We (Dad, Sister, and I) all agreed this was a capital idea. Lots of things to look at, in mid-June we'd hopefully beat the heat and crowds. We packed accordingly, for mid-June in Maryland.

We had not taken into account the altitude. We started out in Jackson Hole, which wasn't so bad, but by the time we got to Yellowstone proper the snow was so thick that there were still roads closed. Some of the piles were taller than I am. We'd meant to spend much longer in the park, but none of us had brought winter coats, only light windbreakers, and were layering like mad but couldn't keep warm for extended periods of time, so we spent a lot of time in visitor's centers and much less out with the scenery. It was a wonderful time, however- we did get to see a lot of the stuff around Old Faithful, and by the time we got back down off the mountains we encountered more of the weather we expected.

Mom is determined to one day return...

XRogue

« Reply #37 on: Today at 01:47:12 PM »
My last trip with XDH, he bought a camper trailer with the intent of travelling across the country with his parents in their RV, camping as we went. 10 days after the purchase, their RV was foreclosed on and repossessed, so they flew out to Cali instead, and we drove and camped as planned.

(ok, not having to camp with the XIL's was not actually bad from my point of view, but some things that happened during the trip were, and them talking XH into camping was the starting point. )

Our axle fell off the camper in the middle of 5 or 6 lanes of heavily trafficked freeway in Bakersfield, and nearly flipped us.
It took nearly 5 days to fix. In the meantime we stayed with xh's uncle, so that was a blessing in disguise too.

On the way back home to Texas, XH insisted on taking a different road because "I couldn't read a map and was telling him the wrong turnoff!"  We hit a deer and nearly totalled our truck, and had to drive back home with it like that, towing the trailer, because he refused to stop and get the truck repaired.

P.S. I also got a staph infection on the trip from using the campground showers. X refused to hook up the shower for our trailer. He had promised to buy a replacement connector hose and didn't do it, on the grounds that "I didn't know if the campgrounds would have a universal connector for the hose", then the excuse switched to "the store wasn't open when I was off work to go pick it up!"  :o

When I pointed out to him that 2 minutes with his good friend Google would have reassured him on the universal connectors, and that I was also a SAHM at the time and could have picked it up for him -having done so with other parts twice already, the truth came out. He didn't want to use the camper shower himself because it had a 5 gallon water heater, and that meant using it would have required he take a navy shower. And he didn't like being cold while the hot water heater caught up. I just looked at him and said "Who said *you* had to take a navy shower? I'm the one with eczema who gets skin infections and needs the camper shower, you can use the campground showers with unlimited hot water if you want."  ::)

He complained bitterly about the dr visit and prescriptions to clean up the infection too, a total of 50 dollars, to which I pointed out a 20 dollar hose kit is a better than 50 percent savings.  :P

Phoebelion

« Reply #38 on: Today at 02:10:09 PM »
A few years back, Mom finally got it in her head to go to Yellowstone. We (Dad, Sister, and I) all agreed this was a capital idea. Lots of things to look at, in mid-June we'd hopefully beat the heat and crowds. We packed accordingly, for mid-June in Maryland.

We had not taken into account the altitude. We started out in Jackson Hole, which wasn't so bad, but by the time we got to Yellowstone proper the snow was so thick that there were still roads closed. Some of the piles were taller than I am. We'd meant to spend much longer in the park, but none of us had brought winter coats, only light windbreakers, and were layering like mad but couldn't keep warm for extended periods of time, so we spent a lot of time in visitor's centers and much less out with the scenery. It was a wonderful time, however- we did get to see a lot of the stuff around Old Faithful, and by the time we got back down off the mountains we encountered more of the weather we expected.

Mom is determined to one day return...

Yep - weather changes due to geography can really mess up a vacation.

DH and I take trips on our motorcycle.  Left MI 7/3 heading for Glacier National Park.  You have to remember we have to park real light.  DH insisted we take out stuff down coats.  My favorite picture is the one of DH in his coat and the motorcycle taken by the side of the glacier in mid July.

Tini

« Reply #39 on: Today at 02:44:15 PM »
My last trip with XDH, he bought a camper trailer with the intent of travelling across the country with his parents in their RV, camping as we went. 10 days after the purchase, their RV was foreclosed on and repossessed, so they flew out to Cali instead, and we drove and camped as planned.

(ok, not having to camp with the XIL's was not actually bad from my point of view, but some things that happened during the trip were, and them talking XH into camping was the starting point. )

Our axle fell off the camper in the middle of 5 or 6 lanes of heavily trafficked freeway in Bakersfield, and nearly flipped us.
It took nearly 5 days to fix. In the meantime we stayed with xh's uncle, so that was a blessing in disguise too.

On the way back home to Texas, XH insisted on taking a different road because "I couldn't read a map and was telling him the wrong turnoff!"  We hit a deer and nearly totalled our truck, and had to drive back home with it like that, towing the trailer, because he refused to stop and get the truck repaired.

P.S. I also got a staph infection on the trip from using the campground showers. X refused to hook up the shower for our trailer. He had promised to buy a replacement connector hose and didn't do it, on the grounds that "I didn't know if the campgrounds would have a universal connector for the hose", then the excuse switched to "the store wasn't open when I was off work to go pick it up!"  :o

When I pointed out to him that 2 minutes with his good friend Google would have reassured him on the universal connectors, and that I was also a SAHM at the time and could have picked it up for him -having done so with other parts twice already, the truth came out. He didn't want to use the camper shower himself because it had a 5 gallon water heater, and that meant using it would have required he take a navy shower. And he didn't like being cold while the hot water heater caught up. I just looked at him and said "Who said *you* had to take a navy shower? I'm the one with eczema who gets skin infections and needs the camper shower, you can use the campground showers with unlimited hot water if you want."  ::)

He complained bitterly about the dr visit and prescriptions to clean up the infection too, a total of 50 dollars, to which I pointed out a 20 dollar hose kit is a better than 50 percent savings.  :P

Such a lovely man, why on earth would you let such a treasure go?!

XRogue

« Reply #40 on: Today at 02:57:49 PM »

Such a lovely man, why on earth would you let such a treasure go?!

I just couldn't inflict my itching on him anymore. ;)  lol