News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• February 25, 2017, 11:38:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Special Snowflakes Redux - play nice!  (Read 42587 times)

LadyDyani

Re: Special Snowflakes Redux - play nice!
« Reply #390 on: February 22, 2017, 02:47:27 PM »

The company I work for is a clothing company. We get ticket switchers in here all the time. Our price tags are attached to the clothes using a plastic needle gun that looks like this: http://www.sellingshelf.com/gallery/tem6/OS157-tem6-3.jpg  People try to take the ticket off clearance stuff and put it on newer items. It's always pretty apparent, because the tickets will be rather rumpled and sometimes torn, or the plastic pins will be mutilated.

Seems like every week or so I get an email from security with pictures of ticket switchers. The stores have taken to hanging the pictures in their offices.

Even if someone had been able to do this in my old store, when you scan the item, it brings it up with a description. So a pricy wool jacket with a ticket say for $69, when the actual price may be $269 wouldn't get through as we'd catch it.

Sorry, I wasn't as clear as I thought I was. They would grab something like a suit jacket from our newer items, and try to replace the ticket with a clearance suit jacket ticket. So the item would be the same, but the clearance one might have a make-up mark from someone trying it on, or be an unusual size, so the price is marked down. It's the same item, so it has the same sku, which brings up the same description.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

HoneyBee42

« Reply #391 on: February 22, 2017, 07:21:20 PM »
Today's snowflake might also have been going for a personal Darwin ... 

This morning, as I was driving to work, the fog was *thick* ... a city block is approximately a tenth of a mile, and I could see less than half of that distance.  If you think that's a great time to walk with your earbuds in while wearing a full track suit that is solid gray, you might be the snowflake that scared the carp out of me this morning.

Seriously, take the ear buds out (at least one ear, preferably on the side the cars are going to approach), walk *facing* traffic instead of with traffic, and if it's foggy, it might be a good idea to wear bright/fluorescent colors *and* carry a flashlight.   It might also be a good idea to choose to walk toward the park that was only 100 feet in the other direction--the park has a paved walking path where cars aren't allowed at all.  Just don't holler at me because I'm driving a car on the road and you loomed up after throwing off your cloak of invisibility this morning.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #392 on: February 23, 2017, 07:56:27 AM »
This is from Customers Suck. The post is very long and the language rather, um, "colorful." Idiots and horses

The OP is a riding instructor at a stable that caters to a mainly wealthy and often SS, clientele. "The kind that think that magic happens when you throw enough money at it." The OP's least favorite students include two boys whose SS behavior is described. This includes wanting to do some advanced riding, but not being willing to learn, or employ, riding techniques that provide safety for both the rider and the horse.

On the day in question, the boys are supposed to be warming up while the instructor removes some jumps from the ring. Instead, the both decide to "take off at a fast canter to one of the jumps I hadn't pulled down yet." Due to one boy's poor technique, he was thrown and nearly trampled by the other horse which refused the jump and went out of control. The boy that fell suffered a probable dislocated shoulder. The lesson was stopped, the boys taken to first aid, and the parents were called.

The boys apparently gave their parents a story about how it was all the OP's fault, a lousy instructor who played favorites with other students. What the family had forgotten is that all lessons are videoed and permission to video is given when parents sign a contract. As soon as the video was shown, the stable owner informed the parents that their boys were no longer welcome.

The parents went ballistic. Their boys are entitled to riding lessons and the OP is just a lousy instructor. The parents were then shown a video that the OP has permission to use, to demonstrate the consequences of not using proper technique. A rider who did the same thing as the boys, suffered a broken neck. That gave Dad pause, but Mom was having none of it. "[That] couldn't happen to her sons because they're SpEcIaL and I just don't understand them."

The family stormed off, with Mom declaring her intent to sue "because of everything from refusal to teach the [boys] to 'irreparable psychological damage'."  Having also spent quite a while arguing with the stable staff, instead of taking their injured son to get his shoulder treated.

My favorite comment:
"It's amazing to me how many people think they can impose their will on something that weighs as much as a motorcycle, and has TEETH.

Imagine your car had sentience, and the personality of a cat.... that's learning to ride in a nutshell"

I saw this too! I know next to nothing about horses but i do know they are big animals, and not as smart as humans. So if i'm ever around one, i listen to those in the know, and watch what i do etc.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #393 on: February 23, 2017, 07:57:29 AM »

The company I work for is a clothing company. We get ticket switchers in here all the time. Our price tags are attached to the clothes using a plastic needle gun that looks like this: http://www.sellingshelf.com/gallery/tem6/OS157-tem6-3.jpg  People try to take the ticket off clearance stuff and put it on newer items. It's always pretty apparent, because the tickets will be rather rumpled and sometimes torn, or the plastic pins will be mutilated.

Seems like every week or so I get an email from security with pictures of ticket switchers. The stores have taken to hanging the pictures in their offices.

Even if someone had been able to do this in my old store, when you scan the item, it brings it up with a description. So a pricy wool jacket with a ticket say for $69, when the actual price may be $269 wouldn't get through as we'd catch it.

Sorry, I wasn't as clear as I thought I was. They would grab something like a suit jacket from our newer items, and try to replace the ticket with a clearance suit jacket ticket. So the item would be the same, but the clearance one might have a make-up mark from someone trying it on, or be an unusual size, so the price is marked down. It's the same item, so it has the same sku, which brings up the same description.

Got it. We had different SKUs for everything though, so the same item, same color, different size, is a different sku

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #394 on: February 23, 2017, 11:15:46 AM »

On the day in question, the boys are supposed to be warming up while the instructor removes some jumps from the ring. Instead, the both decide to "take off at a fast canter to one of the jumps I hadn't pulled down yet." Due to one boy's poor technique, he was thrown and nearly trampled by the other horse which refused the jump and went out of control. The boy that fell suffered a probable dislocated shoulder. The lesson was stopped, the boys taken to first aid, and the parents were called.

The family stormed off, with Mom declaring her intent to sue "because of everything from refusal to teach the [boys] to 'irreparable psychological damage'."  Having also spent quite a while arguing with the stable staff, instead of taking their injured son to get his shoulder treated.

My favorite comment:
"It's amazing to me how many people think they can impose their will on something that weighs as much as a motorcycle, and has TEETH.

Imagine your car had sentience, and the personality of a cat.... that's learning to ride in a nutshell"

(Some snipping above for brevity.)

In an earlier life, I taught basic horse care and safety to new students at a riding school (at the Los Angeles Equestrian Center.) One thing I said in the lecture was "This is a horse. This end bites, that end kicks. If either happens to you, it's your fault."

I, too, have been dumped by a horse who decided that he just didn't feel like taking that jump. This was during a jumping lesson under the instructor's direction, so it can happen even if the rider is doing things right. All I could think of as I was rolling forward was "There's a half-ton of horse behind me. I hope he's not rolling on top of me."
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

lilfox

« Reply #395 on: February 23, 2017, 01:27:35 PM »
Sounds like those boys had the (mis) fortune of being at one of the better stables.  I've never noticed SS students at any of the stables I rode at, but they haven't all been stellar places.

I once quit a riding stables because the staff didn't care enough about safety to either teach it or live it.  Instructors routinely allowed students to get very close to other students (horses were almost touching sides, or standing nose to tail), in order to pack as many students into a group lesson as they could.  I spent two years as a preteen riding horses that were "spirited" so I developed a lot of caution and respect for what a horse can do, and these lesson horses were pretty placid but they're still animals and they will occasionally react badly in unpredictable ways.  Those students were in no way prepared for any of the risks.   >:(

I quit another stables when the instructor kept pushing me to take higher and higher jumps that I was not mentally ready for, because the other students were doing it.  It would be okay, she said, because the horse was capable.  Yeah, no.  I had several years of jumping experience at that point, I knew what my limits were.  And I'm not a competitive rider, there was no reason to push me out of my comfort zone.

GardenGal

« Reply #396 on: February 23, 2017, 01:39:29 PM »
My favorite comment:
"It's amazing to me how many people think they can impose their will on something that weighs as much as a motorcycle, and has TEETH.  Imagine your car had sentience, and the personality of a cat.... that's learning to ride in a nutshell"

I also quit a riding stable because of an incident in which I was partly at fault.  I arrived a few minutes late for my first lesson there (I had ridden 15 years ago in college), and they gave me the last horse left, which was huge and much too big for me.  I could hardly get on it, and I should have just said no at that point.  But I didn't say no.  After about 45 minutes, just as we were about to do our first jump, I lost hold of the reins and then my feet slipped out of the stirrups, and I was hanging on to the horse's hair for dear life.  As it got closer to the hurdles I felt that I was about to fall off, and instead of risking being trampled, I decided to jump off and push myself as far away as possible.  I broke my collarbone and ended up on crutches for about 4 months because of a badly hurt leg, but I'm still convinced it was the right decision.  I didn't sue them, 'cause I had accepted that gigantic horse, but I never went back and it was many years before I could even bear to look at a photo of a horse.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

AnnaT

« Reply #397 on: February 23, 2017, 05:12:05 PM »
Last weekend Sydney had storms - torrential rain, thunder and lightening and hail - hail the size of golf balls up to tennis balls...

I had the unfortunate luck to be caught driving on the M1 (major interstate highway) during one of these storm cells.  I was lucky in that there was no hail but the rain was so bad that I couldn't see anything out of the rear window and visibility out the front was maybe 20 meters with the wipers on as high as they would go.  It was actually quite terrifying (and incredibly, unbelievably, loud)

Traffic slowed down to 55kph (in a 110 kph zone) and every (sane) person turned on their lights.

Cue the special snowflakes that went tearing up the fast lane at over 100kph without lights on.  I found myself hoping they only took themselves out as they tore past me. 

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #398 on: Yesterday at 12:37:19 PM »
As an aside, the description of a horse as a car with sentience and the personality of a cat (and teeth!) may be the greatest thing I've read today.  ;D
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #399 on: Yesterday at 12:56:52 PM »
We stayed at a dude ranch this past summer, and my husband had a horse that we nicknamed "Bitey," because he bit any horse that came too close, including mine.  He also tried to bite the cattle during team penning.  That kind of behavior has unpredictable consequences.  My horse bolted after he was bit five minutes after the first time that I got on him in the corral.  Bitey settled down once he became comfortable with DH, but on trail rides, I was always behind him, not in front.  ;D

We also bribed him with carrots.   >:D

TeamBhakta

« Reply #400 on: Today at 07:57:33 PM »
While grocery shopping, I overheard a man nearby telling two women (in a jovial tone) "That's ugly, that nose ring you got. Is it real ?" I thought at first they knew each other & he was playing around. But then this happened:

Man (60-ish): That's your mom ?
Younger woman (20-ish) : Yes.
Man: So she's your daughter, then ?
Older woman (40-ish): Yes.
Man: How old is she ?
Older woman: She's 19
Man: Oh wow, I thought she was maybe 13! But why do you have that nose ring, though ? It's honestly very ugly. Who are you trying to impress with it ? Did you get it to make people like you ? I'll be honest, it's terribly unattractive.
Both women: (uncomfortable laugh)
Man: Really, though, that tattoo there is pretty awful. Why would you do something like that to yourself ? It's ugly. You're too young to do something like that to yourself.
Older woman: She got it because I have the same one. It has meaning to us. ???
Man: Oh  :o ....Well, I'm not trying to be rude. I'm just telling your from experience those things are ugly & you really don't need them. Maybe it's just me & my age, but I think you'll regret those things when you're older.

They looked so relieved when Mr Know It All Snowflake finally told them "Have a good day, keep in my mind what I said" and walked off. Eesh. 

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #401 on: Today at 10:01:54 PM »
He might not have been trying to be rude, but he was certainly succeeding at it!
"Set aphasia to stun!"