News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• September 04, 2015, 08:11:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What celebrities do you know/have you met?  (Read 233 times)

katiescarlett

What celebrities do you know/have you met?
« on: Today at 03:51:32 PM »
I thought this might be a fun thread!  I have met Blake Shelton and the McCoy brothers from Amazing Race.  They are all from my hometown, and I went to school with Blake briefly as a child before he moved to one of the other local schools, which he graduated from.

Reba McEntire is from a town close to mine, but I've never met her, though I took my mother to one of her concerts once.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: What celebrities do you know/have you met?
« Reply #1 on: Today at 04:06:37 PM »
My husband was best friends with Wayne Brady during high school and into their mid-20s, he would drive him to gigs, including In the Heat of the Night, where DH met Caroll O'Connor and Hugh O'Connor.

DH also knows Tiger Woods, Shaquille O'Neal, and knew Payne Stewart from his former job. He has met Bill Murray and three Presidents.

I have met the members of Collective Soul, John Kricfalusi of Ren & Stimpy, at former jobs. 

Specky

« Reply #2 on: Today at 04:08:49 PM »
Met:
Leonard Nimoy
Andy Griffith
Charles Kuralt

And the Mystery Guy.  Sat next to a 20-something guy on a flight.  Everyone was stopping to speak to him, young women were trying to get his attention, and our row got extra attention from the crew.  He was pleasant, and we spoke off and on throughout the flight.  I have no idea to this day who he was.

katiescarlett

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:45:16 PM »
You met Leonard Nimoy!  That's all kinds of awesome.  I have never met him, but Garth Brooks was one of my cousin's best friends in college at Oklahoma State University.  He wanted to sing at her wedding, but her husband apparently couldn't stand him.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: Today at 05:04:10 PM »
I've been a bit blessed in this regard but it was only because of where I lived and when.

For two years in the mid 1970s I served  on the board of the New York Gilbert and Sullivan society.  A fellow board member was Isaac Asimov. After board meetings we'd all hang out at the President's apartment for coffee and cake. 

I lived in the east 80s of Manhattan during the same period and used to regularly do workouts on the track around the reservoir. Several times I exchanged pleasantries with Jackie Onassis.  D*ck Cavett was also a regular and we'd sometimes talk a bit at the water fountain. 

On a Saturday evening it wasn't unusual to see Woody Allen.  Frank Langella and Raoul Julia were also spotted on occasion. 

I could be wrong but I truly believe that I was once on line behind Richard Burton at the original H&H bagel place.

At the time, my Boyfriend's Mom was a member of the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences.  For a modest fee we could attend monthly 'Drop In Dinners'.  These were buffets with a panel discussion about various aspects of television production.  We attended one in the early days of 'Saturday Night Live' and wound up sitting at the
same table as John Belushi. 

On a trip to London also sponsored by ATAS we had tea with John Cleese.  He was there to stimulate American interest in 'Fawlty Towers'.

When I think about it, life in the bad old 1970s wasn't all that bad at all.

wordgirl

• Just bead it
  • Super Hero!
  • Pinterest is the new crack
« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:18:00 PM »
Isaac Asimov! Oh, I am so jealous of that one!

On a similar note, I met Harlan Ellison at a reception after a panel discussion. And he was just as grouchy/grumbly/charming as one might imagine. He told me how much he hated my state and I just stood there with a goofy grin on my face.

I had a brief one-on-one conversation with then-U.S. Senate candidate Barack Obama that was fascinating. At the time I barely knew him from Adam's housecat. Due to my former job, I've met several other politicians, including Jeb Bush.

I once interviewed Dr. Ruth Westheimer with my eyes closed and tears running down my face. :) I was working for the college newspaper, and had a major issue with my contact lenses. I literally couldn't stand the light. But I wasn't giving up the interview! So I had a friend guide me there, and I tape-recorded the interview and played it back later. She was gracious and nonchalant about it.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #6 on: Today at 05:32:40 PM »
Met - Brooks and Dunn after concert

Know - Grant Stewart, Jazz musician, is my 2nd cousin. He grew up in Toronto and I grew up in Houston, but both our families tended to visit PEI for Old Home Week. Our Moms were good friends in addition to being 1st cousins. So they would try to coordinate trips. If we couldn't do that, we would arrange to stop off in Toronto on the way to or from the Island and see each other. When we were teens he, his father, and brother would often be playing as a trio and we would go see them perform.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

scansons

« Reply #7 on: Today at 05:37:11 PM »
Captian Kangaroo

Maria from Sesame Street

Both Job related.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #8 on: Today at 05:41:26 PM »
It kinda depends on how you define "celebrity." I've met Richard Thompson and several members of Fairport Convention and Steeleye Span, who are celebrities if you're into the British Folk-Rock scene.

I'm on the opposite coast from Thipu1, so I get the left side of the celebrities. I (almost literally) bumped into Robin Williams over a rack of jackets at Banana Republic (back when it was travel clothing and hadn't been Gap-ified.)

Similar name, but very different person, Robin Williamson. Very well known in the folk scene -- played at Woodstock. I took pennywhistle and bagpipe lessons from him. I also know Sylvia Woods, who played in the Merry Band with Robin.

When Zack did some video work, we met Barbara Bain (Mission Impossible and my childhood heart-throb) and her daughter Juliet Landau (Buffy and Ed Wood.) Both were very nice. Ms. Bain offered Zack a cookie during one lunch break, but was very careful to check with me first. The director for the video was Jake Scott, son of Ridley Scott (Alien.) Jake is a well-known director of rock videos.

I played in a small marching band that showed up to celebrate Gene Kelley's birthday at Ma Maison. Over three or four years we had several gigs at Ma Maison, thanks to a UCLA alum who liked to dine there.

The boys' school put me in contact with a number of celebrities. I gave tours to Lisa Kudrow and Jonathan Frakes. There were a couple of other celebs on various tours, but they've slipped m mind.

I've sat in a circle of chairs with Larry David (Seinfeld) and Laurie David (producer of An Inconvenient Truth), discussing the joys and pains of parenting teenagers. Their daughter graduated with Grant.

I've laughed with Julia Louise Dreyfuss (Seinfeld) at my 5yo son's impression of a hermit crab. I've also been to the Page Museum (dinosaurs!) with Madeline Stowe and her husband Brian Benben; that was a school field trip. In addition, Madeline and I shared the same music teacher at one point.

The grandchildren of some celebrities also went to this school. Henry Kissinger's granddaughter as well as Harry Belafonte's granddaughter. Harry was at graduation last May, but I was far too shy to approach him. His daughter Gina is now a film producer and following in her father's activist footsteps. Arianna Huffington was a parent at the school for a while, as was Herb Alpert's daughter. My ex teaches at the school and she's had the children of Meg Ryan, Mark Hamill and Luc Robitaille (L.A. Kings hockey star) for just a few.

When riding horses (years ago), I've come across William Shatner. Not very friendly, but he was having a very hard time controlling his horse.

Just a few weeks ago, I met Disney Legend Bob Gurr. Bob's the person who designed the Monorail and a bunch of vehicles for Disneyland.

I ran the scoreboard for UCLA basketball for 25 years, along with working 1/3 of the games at the 1984 Olympics. I've met Digger Phelps, Billie Moore, Lou Carnaseca, Jerry Tarkanian, Bobby Knight, and, of course, John Wooden. Basketball players including Reggie Miller, Baron Davis, Don MacLean, Kiki Vandewegehe. Not to mention Ann Myers Drysdale, one of the great female basketball players.

Although not a celebrity that you would know, my friend Alex is one of (if not the) top studio trombonists in Los Angeles. He's played the soundtrack for many, many top movies and TV shows (The Incredibles and Marvel: Agents of SHIELD are two that come to mind.) Which reminds me... I also went to college (and marched in the band) with David Silverman, one of the directors of The Simpsons TV series as well as the movie.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Phoebelion

« Reply #9 on: Today at 05:42:20 PM »
Charlton Heston, Henry Morgan, Steven Tyler and Steve Martin.  All extremely gracious and truly nice.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #10 on: Today at 06:11:59 PM »
Ah... forgot one.

I work with celebrity chef Frankie "The Bull" Terzoli. He's a real character and a great cook. Besides working with us in the fishing industry, he's done the food for our last to holiday parties.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

peach2play

« Reply #11 on: Today at 06:21:16 PM »
I went to school with (8 Years) and graduated with Joe King from the Fray.  Isaac Slade was a year behind us.  I have several year books signed by both of them.  I keep wondering if I should put them on Ebay since we were a very small graduating class of 72 so not a lot of the yearbooks out there.  (I don't think I actually would put them on Ebay, but I do wonder if there's a market for them.)

I met Dog the Bounty Hunter in the Chicago airport.  Really nice.  I was having a really bad day and he gave me a hug.

I've met and hung out with Willie B and Uncle Nasty from KBPI, a local Denver radio station.  They used to come to after hours parties that I hosted.

I've met the Hardy Boys from the WWF.  I had no idea they were so big.  They look smaller next to some of the other wrestlers.