News:

• February 23, 2018, 08:49:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pet peeves at work  (Read 65396 times)

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
Re: Pet peeves at work
« Reply #510 on: February 07, 2018, 03:47:02 AM »
The panicker who won't listen to anyone's advice but keeps wailing about how terrible his job is.

Panicker: I can't keep up with everything! People think I'm incompetent and keep emailing me to ask me why it isn't done yet! But I can't do it because boss keep fobbing me off when I ask her! Oh nooooo!

Several People: Have you tried [several practical ways to handle the situation, suggestions on how to reply to the emails, suggested priority lists]

Panicker: Noooooo that won't work. [shoots down every possible suggestion because it involves doing something different to what he is already doing, then complains about how overworked and stressed out he is, and how he doesn't care anymore and nothing will ever change]

Look, I admit, his boss is very difficult and does keep changing priorities and coworker is overworked, but why not just TRY something different? If the current system isn't working, then something needs to change. Granted I'm not in his situation and my boss is quite reasonable, but it's very difficult to feel sympathetic when it looks like he's wallowing in his misery instead of taking active steps to change things. We don't know if our suggestions will work, but he could at least try them. If they don't work, then there are other things we can suggest instead.
<3

rose red

« Reply #511 on: February 12, 2018, 08:58:46 AM »
listening so someone mumbling to themselves all day, day after day.

Lula

« Reply #512 on: February 17, 2018, 04:26:21 PM »
Or singing, whistling, blasting the same playlist over, over, over, over and over again for a few years now...

diesel_darlin

« Reply #513 on: February 17, 2018, 05:39:35 PM »
Or singing, whistling, blasting the same playlist over, over, over, over and over again for a few years now...
Do we work at the same place?

On top of the singing and whatnot, this person has also decided to start over sharing. He regaled us with the gripping tale of how he stole batteries from Walmart because they have enough money and he didn't have ten dollars to pay for them.  >:(

Minmom3

• Life moves onward and upward
« Reply #514 on: February 17, 2018, 08:14:47 PM »
I know by name is unusual, but coworkers who can't get my name right drive me nuts.

It's right there in my email signature you're replying to. Right there! How can you get it wrong when it's three centimeters down the screen from where you spelled it hopelessly wrong?

Also multiple coworkers getting my name confused with another coworker with another unusual name that starts with the same letter, but otherwise sounds nothing like my name (If my name were Leticia, and she's Lanette, I get called Lanette. Repeatedly.). I'm getting very tired of being called by the wrong name.

One specific coworker who decided at some point my name is pronounced a completely different way to how it's actually pronounced, completely differently to how everyone else in the office pronounces my name correctly. If my name were Leticia (Luhtisha), she'd be pronouncing it Laytaysha. It's going on so long I've sort of given up. At this point, correcting her would stir up more drama than it's worth, because she's the sort to take that sort of correction badly.

Start calling her "Fred"?
Double MIL now; not yet a Grandma.  Owner of Lard Butt Noelle, kitteh extraordinaire!

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #515 on: February 17, 2018, 08:53:32 PM »
IT issues are driving me around the bend.

I get an email, saying this [ticket #] has been opened for you.  I didn't open a ticket.  So I sent them an email asking what it was about.  The next email I get says the ticket has been closed and says something about revoking my access to a program I need to do my job.  What?  So I sent another email.  And got back some gobbledy gook as an explanation.  I was planning to follow up when I got a chance.  But then I got an email from a specific IT guy, saying he had a new ticket # in my name and what was the problem.  I told him that as far as I knew, I didn't have a problem as I'd never asked them to do anything.  I forwarded him all three emails and commented on the last one that this email cleared things right up and put in brackets, we really need a sarcasm font.

He laughed, at least.  And it turns out, they did, in fact, cancel my access to the program.  Took well over an hour of my time to correct something that I never asked them to do in the first place.

Kind of like the time that we migrated domains for our logons.  Because they were pulling a bunch of different departments together under one domain, if you had the same log in as someone in a different department, they changed your login name by adding a number and it was done alphabetically, rather than by seniority.  Whatever.  Except for the fact that they didn't communicate the fact that my login name was changing!  I called in when I couldn't get in and had them change the password so I could log in.  Only they changed the password of the other person who got to keep our login name.  Mine had a number added.  If they had just communicated the change, there wouldn't have been a problem, though I still think the change should have been based on seniority - the person with the most number of years in got to keep their login name.

And then I was trying to download some photos from an SD card to my personal drive on the server.  I never save stuff on the computer because it doesn't get backed up; I save everything to the server that does get backed up.  Well, I got a message that there wasn't enough space to transfer the files.  So I emailed IT again.  And they didn't pick up on the fact that it was my drive on the server that had the issue, not my drive on my computer.  Another hour with a guy on the phone before he finally figured that out and realized he'd have to send it to someone else to fix.  How about you just replace our office's undersized, brutally slow server with a new one with a lot more memory?  That'd be great, thanks.  I'm not holding my breath.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

rose red

« Reply #516 on: February 19, 2018, 11:14:43 AM »
Double negatives and general poor grammar. I cringe but can dismiss it when it's internal. But horrified when it's said to clients.

Imagine being a client and told "We didn't do nothing 'cause it's broken." Yes, I really heard that exact sentence from a coworker.

Frog24

« Reply #517 on: February 21, 2018, 06:31:12 PM »
Boss and I come up with a process asking my teammates to send me a quick email at the end of the week if they've completed any of X task.

I send out the email asking for the work to be sent to me.  The point is that the onus is on my teammates to tell me when it's done.

Co-worker writes extremely long email, with screen caps, on how I can check the progress of everyone's work X status.  How I can set and run reports, and it's much faster than them having to write an email, and me having to read emails.  Basically, he's saying the onus of finding out task X status is on me.   >:(  No, no it's not. 

My boss and I are going to talk about it tomorrow.

Sirius

« Reply #518 on: Yesterday at 06:37:43 PM »

Years ago my office was located in another department, and the people in that department played the same three tapes all...day...long and the tape player was right outside my office door.

Editeer

« Reply #519 on: Today at 04:21:59 PM »
People hired for a specific skill who prove to be terrible at that skill, especially when my boss expects me to fix them. Why do we keep hiring writers who write badly?