Author Topic: DECLUTTERING  (Read 46519 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: DECLUTTERING
« Reply #510 on: January 20, 2015, 12:59:03 PM »
My work begins tomorrow.  I have an appointment with the auction folks first thing tomorrow morning to go through my Dad's stuff and some stuff of mine I want to get rid of.  Once that appointment is done, I start carting stuff to their hall for them to catalogue it and set it up in various auctions to be sold.  It'll be a HUGE relief to get this crap stuff out of my house.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #511 on: January 20, 2015, 01:56:22 PM »

One tip I have is to approach something as an inventory, rather than a decluttering. I have several bins where I store creative projects and I decided I was going to organize and inventory them, so I would know what was there. As I went through stuff I found a number of loose sheets, extra folders, etc., and was able to throw some stuff out and combine other things that ought to be together. I hadn't actually planned on throwing anything away at all and was pleasantly surprised by the amount of unnecessary stuff I was able to get rid of. I was literally writing down what was left and for a lazy person like me, knowing that I either have to get rid of something or write it down is a great motivator to throw stuff away!

What a great idea, Lynn! Helps to separate the emotional tugs and anxiety we sometimes feel when we think we have to declutter.

daen

« Reply #512 on: January 21, 2015, 12:21:54 PM »

One tip I have is to approach something as an inventory, rather than a decluttering. I have several bins where I store creative projects and I decided I was going to organize and inventory them, so I would know what was there. As I went through stuff I found a number of loose sheets, extra folders, etc., and was able to throw some stuff out and combine other things that ought to be together. I hadn't actually planned on throwing anything away at all and was pleasantly surprised by the amount of unnecessary stuff I was able to get rid of. I was literally writing down what was left and for a lazy person like me, knowing that I either have to get rid of something or write it down is a great motivator to throw stuff away!

What a great idea, Lynn! Helps to separate the emotional tugs and anxiety we sometimes feel when we think we have to declutter.

Agreed. That's brilliant.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #513 on: January 21, 2015, 01:02:47 PM »
**Happy Dance**

The lady from the auction/consignment house said that a lot of my stuff is really sellable and the rest will bring in *something*.  I get my house back next Friday!  I'm so excited.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #514 on: January 21, 2015, 02:13:51 PM »
**Happy Dance**

The lady from the auction/consignment house said that a lot of my stuff is really sellable and the rest will bring in *something*.  I get my house back next Friday!  I'm so excited.

YAY. I felt the same way when i took my 3 huge boxes to the PO just before the holidays, to send off clothing to sell. I did that with a lot of my stuff, to an online "consignment" shop. while they give little, i had enough stuff that they would take, and made a little over $400.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #515 on: January 21, 2015, 02:20:39 PM »
I have more like 50 boxes of stuff - some of which isn't even boxed up yet.  So here's hoping that my take will be a little more than that.  Not that much of it is specifically 'mine', mind you, since the majority of this is my Dad's stuff so the money will be going to him.  I'm going to get them to do a separate consignment for stuff that is specifically mine.
Ontario

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #516 on: January 21, 2015, 02:25:22 PM »

Thank you! I had actually never tried it before, but I'm going to apply it to other things I have a lot of. Maybe I will decide to keep them all, and now I will know what I have and where it is. Or maybe I will realize I have three blue widgets that are all identical, so probably I could part with a couple (or at least one).
~Lynn2000

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #517 on: January 22, 2015, 11:37:54 AM »

Thank you! I had actually never tried it before, but I'm going to apply it to other things I have a lot of. Maybe I will decide to keep them all, and now I will know what I have and where it is. Or maybe I will realize I have three blue widgets that are all identical, so probably I could part with a couple (or at least one).

I go through phases of decluttering. its funny; i can look at something that a month or two before I swore I couldn't bear to part with, and am like, why am i keeping that! and out it goes. So i try and do mine and strike when the iron is hot. this way, i get it done, and out, and quite honestly, more often than not, I can't even remember what it was I decluttered!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #518 on: January 22, 2015, 11:40:14 AM »
I have more like 50 boxes of stuff - some of which isn't even boxed up yet.  So here's hoping that my take will be a little more than that.  Not that much of it is specifically 'mine', mind you, since the majority of this is my Dad's stuff so the money will be going to him.  I'm going to get them to do a separate consignment for stuff that is specifically mine.

I will be helping my mom with this in the next year or two. She is thinking of, and most likely will, move back closer to me, either back to NJ or perhaps PA, and going into an independent living facility. There is one about 35 mins from me, which she is quite interested in. that would be so fabulous to have her that close! right now she's 400+ miles. I know moving and so on will be a colossal PITA, but well worth it in the end. She has some lovely furniture, and will bring what she can fit, and sell the rest. And get rid of a lot of her other stuff in the process.

But in the end, having her that much closer to me will be so nice. Esp since she's still very independent, and will keep her car, for the time being.

mandycorn

« Reply #519 on: Yesterday at 06:09:49 PM »
My parents have a new decluttering approach: they host family dinner and insist us kids all go down in the basement and sort through a set number of boxes before they'll feed us. Last night we did shoes (soooo many shoes! 3 daughters/20 years worth of abandoned shoes). I left with three pairs of baby shoes I wanted to save and my sister had two pairs of keds for my nephew. Other sister didn't want any.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

gmatoy

« Reply #520 on: Yesterday at 07:41:39 PM »
My parents have a new decluttering approach: they host family dinner and insist us kids all go down in the basement and sort through a set number of boxes before they'll feed us. Last night we did shoes (soooo many shoes! 3 daughters/20 years worth of abandoned shoes). I left with three pairs of baby shoes I wanted to save and my sister had two pairs of keds for my nephew. Other sister didn't want any.

I love your parents! Think they would mind if I used their clever idea?