News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• July 08, 2015, 12:01:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Help, all you smarties, out there who can help me find ouit about skype!!  (Read 303 times)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
I am thinking of getting Skype but have no idea about it. Any general info,etc wold be appreciated.  I don't know how to sign up, if  you pay a monthly cost for it, can anyone use it at their end... just basic stuff that I don't know and cannot seem to find online.  Or maybe someone could direct me to a site that has an easy explanation.  Thank you guys! 
Bijou
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Coralreef

I use the free version of it.  I can talk with my friend in Japan, but only if we are both online at the same time.  We can either type to each other, much like any other chat application, or we can use video.

If you want to use Skype to connect a call to a phone, that will cost you money.  No idea on what the fees are, never used it that way.

[/right

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
We use skype at work.  Well, we used to now we use Lync.  But, I still use skype.  It is free.  I think that there are some situations where there is a charge, but I haven't run into that yet.  I use it for messaging and video chat where two computers have a 'call'  so that my parents can see my daughter while talking to her.  DD likes showing them her toys. 

I really like it.  One hint.  Don't put ANY information at all in your profile and make up a fake name.  Just putting your gender in there will allow people who are catfishing to find you in a search. 

My husband and I use it instead of texting.  Sometimes I'll be at work and think, "Oh, I need to tell DH (blah-blah-blah)" and I'll send him a message, then he'll it next time he's on the computer. 

When you send a contact request to someone, you can send a message saying who you really are.   

Mary Lennox

www.skype.com would be the best place to start.

TracyXJ

My husband and I have it on our smartphones, never had a pay a cent for it.  We use the video chat to let our parents see their grandchild. 

If you have an idevice, the facetime is really good.  My husbands grandmother in South Africa has an iPad and regularly connects to see her great grandchildren. 

The only cost is for the device and the data plan.  But if you have wifi, then you don't have to worry about the data even.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
Thank you all for the information.  Now I have a good place to start.  I don't have a cell phone, just a computer.  I appreciate the info about not using your real name.  I don't want any phishermen or women  on my trail!  I just want to be able to see my granddaughter and two little greats who live out of state.  I have never seen the kids 'in person' and would love to.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
You might still get spam/phishing messages, though, just be aware.  :)

MonteCristo

• My Esty Shop
I use Skype, so I'm not bashing it or saying you shouldn't get it, but have you considered other options?  For example Google Hangout works pretty much the same way, and if you already have a google account, then you don't have to get new account, putting more of your information out there.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
You might still get spam/phishing messages, though, just be aware.  :)

Yes, I used to get one or two friend requests a week.  Then I removed my gender and they dropped to one every few months. 

The reason I like the very fake name is that I can block/report people without wondering, "Is this someone I went to High School with?   A neighbor I don't want to annoy?"   

Since there isn't a reason for people to have multiple skype accounts like facebook accounts, there doesn't seem to be any policing of the names. 

Mary Lennox

I really like it.  One hint.  Don't put ANY information at all in your profile and make up a fake name.  Just putting your gender in there will allow people who are catfishing to find you in a search. 

Catfishing only works if the victim falls for it. You don't have to accept everyone who sends a request. If the OP is only using it for the grandchildren, there's no need to accept anyone else's contact request.

I have my real name, gender and location on my profile and have done for over 5 years. I can count on one hand the amount of spam connections I've received.

Coralreef

I get regular "friend" requests from people I don't know.  Always men, who want a serious and loyal person for a romantic rel@tionship.  Yeah, right.  Some of them even posed as military people. I block and report. 

The requests have fallen off drastically since I removed all personnal information. 

[/right

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Do keep in mind that if you're using it with your computer, you need a webcam/microphone :)  (Which isn't expensive at all.)  Skype is pretty easy to set up and use, and it's free as long as the person you're talking to has it also.  We use it like you plan to - so my parents can see their grandkids.

ETA: works best once the grandkids are past age two or so.  Two things Skype has issues with:

1) If you move around a lot (say, kid is squirming on your lap), the whole picture is really blurry

2) You have to take turns talking to get decent sound quality without feedback.  Really young kids who haven't learned the pattern of conversation (talk, then listen, then talk) can make it nearly impossible to hear anything.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 03:25:58 PM by Slartibartfast »

TracyXJ

Do keep in mind that if you're using it with your computer, you need a webcam/microphone :)  (Which isn't expensive at all.)  Skype is pretty easy to set up and use, and it's free as long as the person you're talking to has it also.  We use it like you plan to - so my parents can see their grandkids.

ETA: works best once the grandkids are past age two or so.  Two things Skype has issues with:

1) If you move around a lot (say, kid is squirming on your lap), the whole picture is really blurry

2) You have to take turns talking to get decent sound quality without feedback.  Really young kids who haven't learned the pattern of conversation (talk, then listen, then talk) can make it nearly impossible to hear anything.

I'm not sure if your problems are really with Skype or with your webcam and connection.  We used to get the blurring until we got newer smartphones and wifi at our house.  Now our only problem seems to be if someones connection drops.