News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 10, 2016, 02:59:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The 'I Accomplished Something Today!' Thread  (Read 157118 times)

Outdoor Girl

Re: The 'I Accomplished Something Today!' Thread
« Reply #1845 on: December 05, 2016, 03:03:50 PM »
Busy, busy weekend.

It started early.  Thursday night, while I was decorating gingerbread, the high water in the sump alarm went off.  Alarm system is not supposed to be working so we don't know the code.  Had to call the previous owner of the house to get the code.  She was very gracious, thank goodness.  So the sump got bailed but water was still coming in and the pumps wouldn't come one.  DF bailed it right empty and we went to bed.  Where I didn't sleep very much because I was worried about the water coming in.  Woke to a pounding headache and some nausea because of the lack of sleep.  And about 1/3 of the sump filled.  I called in sick to keep an eye on the sump, while DF went to work to say goodbye to a guy leaving and work for a bit then begged off to get the pumps replaced.

I did a little bit of my Christmas stuff but took it easy and spent a fair amount of time snoozing on the couch with 4 dogs piled around me, combined with checking the sump to see if I needed to bail some more while DF ran around and bought replacement pumps and got them installed.  And went back out for pipe fittings since he couldn't quite get it back the way it was.

Saturday morning, we woke to the dogs out of their pen and a mess on the basement floor.  Turns out, they were agitated because I'd locked a cat in the bedroom across the hall from them and she was meowing.  They could hear her; we couldn't.  Got the mess cleaned up and headed out the door to deliver a cradle to a friend with a new baby - one that was made for my oldest nephew almost 25 years ago (it is safe - been checked by PH nurses).  Then hit a few stores in my old neighbourhood and met friends for dinner.

Sunday was lots of baking and another dog training appointment.  Long day...
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #1846 on: December 05, 2016, 07:56:58 PM »
We were out of town for a visit to my dad's sick bed the fourth week of November.  Came back to have our drains back up Saturday morning and again early Monday morning - rented an electric snake Saturday and called a plumber Monday - now we know that we need the drain replaced (this will happen in January - too much going else on this month).  Dad died on his birthday this past weekend.  The memorial service has been scheduled for two weeks later...as the other siblings have jobs that keep them tied up during the week. 

The VorFamily had booked a trip to Florida some time before Dad's health had declined so precipitously - no way to reschedule it, so we leave Thursday & drive to Florida, leave Florida a day early, and drive past DD's house to get to the westbound interstate highway to go to the memorial service - which is the 17th.  So - Texas to Florida to Georgia to Oklahoma.  DD may or may not be able to get off to go with us - she works and it is a long driver or an expensive set of round trip tickets to buy this close to traveling by air. 

We'd forgotten to get the car inspected (safety) last month & it was now overdue - so, I took off after a late breakfast to get the inspection done, prior to getting the registration sticker renewed. We had to spend some unexpected money on correcting the wheel alignment to get it to pass inspection, followed by the trip to get the registration paid for & pick up the sticker, and then I came home about 6 pm with takeout some four hours after I left the house to drive a block to the car repair place where they do the inspections...

At least I know that we won't need to replace the tires, as they won't be tearing themselves up due to being out of alignment...I lost a tire several years ago (hit something in the road & busted it) - getting one tire replaced in an "emergency situation" is no fun at all when you just want to get where you're going.

We still have to gas it up and pack - but there's a lot less risk of anything going wrong on the drive.  *knock on wood*

ETA - I did a driving directions route search...we will spend more than 43 hours on the road and go just under 2900 miles on this trip.  That...makes me feel tired of riding and we haven't left yet.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 12:20:46 AM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Lady Tempest

« Reply #1847 on: December 07, 2016, 06:55:58 PM »
We were out of town for a visit to my dad's sick bed the fourth week of November.  Came back to have our drains back up Saturday morning and again early Monday morning - rented an electric snake Saturday and called a plumber Monday - now we know that we need the drain replaced (this will happen in January - too much going else on this month).  Dad died on his birthday this past weekend.  The memorial service has been scheduled for two weeks later...as the other siblings have jobs that keep them tied up during the week. 

I'm very sorry to hear about your Dad, VorFemme  :'(  May he be at peace.