News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 30, 2016, 05:22:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: In-Law Stories - The good, the bad and the wacky  (Read 110231 times)

Shalamar

Re: In-Law Stories - The good, the bad and the wacky
« Reply #630 on: September 28, 2016, 09:53:21 AM »
So even when people know intellectually that someone is losing weight deliberately, and doing so for valid reasons, their instincts are screaming "He's getting thinner! He's sick!"

Sadly, this happened to my friend's dad.  Dad was always heavy, and he decided to go on a diet.  He lost a lot of weight, and everyone said "You look great!  You can stop now, though."  Dad said "That's the funny thing - I'm not even trying anymore, but the weight is still coming off."  It was cancer.  :(

Kimberami

« Reply #631 on: September 28, 2016, 10:08:52 AM »
For awhile, I thought I had a MIL problem, but I was wrong. For Christmas, I'd get things like dusty lotion gift sets or wrong sized clothes. But after shopping with her, I learned that while she does stockpile year round (nothing wrong there!), she's also doing it with certain people in mind. So yeah, the set she got me was bought in June and kept in a closet for months, but it wasn't an after thought, wasn't meant as a slight, and was bought with love and genuine care and thought.  :)
This is such an important lesson to remember.  It is far too easy to assign negative intent to something that was done with either good or neutral intention. 
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.

Klein Bottle

« Reply #632 on: September 28, 2016, 04:57:20 PM »
For awhile, I thought I had a MIL problem, but I was wrong. For Christmas, I'd get things like dusty lotion gift sets or wrong sized clothes. But after shopping with her, I learned that while she does stockpile year round (nothing wrong there!), she's also doing it with certain people in mind. So yeah, the set she got me was bought in June and kept in a closet for months, but it wasn't an after thought, wasn't meant as a slight, and was bought with love and genuine care and thought.  :)
This is such an important lesson to remember.  It is far too easy to assign negative intent to something that was done with either good or neutral intention.

Yes!  What a sweet story. I'm glad it turned out to be a good explanation, and with some thought and care put into her gifts.  My step MIL has sent us some oddball gifts throughout the ages, but I always made sure we thanked her graciously, because she really did have good intentions. (There are other issues there, and I really haven't spoken to her much since my divorce and the death of my former FIL, but I appreciated that she was one of the nicer people in that family )
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

Asharah

« Reply #633 on: September 28, 2016, 07:44:53 PM »
So even when people know intellectually that someone is losing weight deliberately, and doing so for valid reasons, their instincts are screaming "He's getting thinner! He's sick!"

Sadly, this happened to my friend's dad.  Dad was always heavy, and he decided to go on a diet.  He lost a lot of weight, and everyone said "You look great!  You can stop now, though."  Dad said "That's the funny thing - I'm not even trying anymore, but the weight is still coming off."  It was cancer.  :(
Reminds me of an advice column story for many years. Letter writers friend, who had always been overweight, had pancreatic cancer and lost a huge amount of weight. They run into a casual acquaintance who praises friend for finally doing something about her weight and inquires about what program she used. Friend reply's "I wouldn't recommend it, I have terminal cancer."
Asharah

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #634 on: September 28, 2016, 09:20:52 PM »

Reminds me of an advice column story for many years. Letter writers friend, who had always been overweight, had pancreatic cancer and lost a huge amount of weight. They run into a casual acquaintance who praises friend for finally doing something about her weight and inquires about what program she used. Friend reply's "I wouldn't recommend it, I have terminal cancer."

I had a coworker who was out walking with her BFF...when someone had the same conversation.  BFF was not a healthy woman.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Shalamar

« Reply #635 on: Yesterday at 10:21:14 AM »
I think I posted about this in the Special Snowflakes thread a while back - I had a co-worker, Kimberley, who was extremely shallow.  A friend of hers got pregnant and had terrible morning sickness - even into her third trimester, she had trouble keeping food down.  Kimberley said admiringly "You'd never even guess that she's pregnant!  In fact, I think she's lost weight!  She looks great!"  I said "Uh, that's not good - you're supposed to gain weight when you're pregnant."  "Whatever.  She looks good, and that's all that matters."