Author Topic: Dog Lovers - where do you purchase your toys and treats?  (Read 128 times)

Peppergirl

I have a problem that I'm sure isn't unique. Some background: I rescued my dog, Bailey from the shelter here in central Florida a bit after I moved here last July.  We have been together a year now, and he's brought me an immense amount of joy.  I'm a divorced empty-nester, so he's been a great deal of company to me.  It's been good for him too, since I work from home and am able to spend a considerable amount of time with him.

Anyway, his issue is that he is a very strong chewer and shreds any toys that I've tried to give him, even balls and sometimes ropes.  Does anyone have experience with toys that are good for extreme-chewers?  If so, where do you purchase yours?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
Re: Dog Lovers - where do you purchase your toys and treats?
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 08:51:22 PM »
I gave Ripley, my rottweiler mix, deer antlers.  They were the only thing...and I do mean ONLY thing....that stood up to her jaws.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

purple

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 09:03:47 PM »
I used to have a pit bull who could destroy 'heavy duty' 'indestructible' dog toys by the time he was 6 months old!

I ended up buying his toys from places that supply zoos.  They can be expensive, but even my giant pit bull wasn't able to destroy a ball that was built with a polar bear in mind  :).

My boy has since passed but my dogs now still use some of those toys, so once you lay out the money to purchase them, it's a once only purchase  :).

Peppergirl

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 09:29:08 PM »
Thanks!  I'll do some research.

And yes, Bailey is part Pitty, so he easily destroys toys, ropes, balls, etc.  ::)

I've seen the deer antlers at PetSmart.  Been holding off due to the cost, but I might invest in one. Thanks!

Please pass the Calgon

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 09:57:21 PM »
I make a lot of my Great Dane's toys. She's a chewer and these hold up better than anything

http://fastncrazy.blogspot.com/2013/03/szarpak.html

The gist of it is 4 strips of 4"x4' fleece, knot them together at one end then "braid" them like those lanyards we made as kids. When you get close to the other end, tie another knot. They are great for chewing, playing fetch & tug o'war. You can use denim instead of fleece, but I found the fleece easier to work with.

If you search "DIY dog toys" on a Pinterest you'll find a bunch of options.

demarco

« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 10:26:19 PM »
My lab, Temperance,  is an extreme chewer. She does pretty well with Kongs and things made by Nylabone. (She eventually destroys some of them but it takes a long time.) There is a brand of dog toys called "Jolly" that makes very big, tough balls for dogs. We have one about the size of a basketball and one that is much bigger than that. She can pick up the basketball sized one with her teeth. The larger one she enjoys pushing across the yard with her nose (especially in the snow).  They also make an egg that is about 16 inches long. Temperance is crazy about that because  it moves unpredictably.

We cannot give her anything made out of  fabric, ropes or otherwise, because she chews them up and swallows them, with disastrous results. Our previous lab had a cute stuffed porcupine that she carried around with her but poor Temperance will never have anything like that.

Peppergirl

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 10:40:04 PM »
I got him a Kong and he showed no interest, of course.  ::)  I also have tried Nylabones, but he chews them so hard that they are prickly and sharp within a day or two.

I will check out the Jolly brand.  Thanks!

Also, I have bookmarked the homemade strip toy site and am going to check pinterest too - thanks!

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Today at 02:13:26 AM »
The foster mom told me "he doesn't chew..." well, he probably didn't at her house but he sure does at mine. He will chew anything, but luckily only stuff he can carry to the couch because that's his chewing place. He went through 3 harnesses in a week before it occurred to me that perhaps I should take it off when he's inside. Duh.

The only thing he won't chew is Nylabones. The best luck I've had is the antlers but oh jeez the sound is like nails on a chalkboard or someone grinding their teeth. But it works.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.