News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• October 13, 2015, 06:17:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 1023275 times)

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #4770 on: October 11, 2015, 01:06:09 AM »
My grandfather got a scammer call the other day. They started off with the typical "there's an issue with your computer" and Grandad being as un-tech savvy as he is, followed their instructions. They then threatened to delete all the family photos on his hard drive unless he sent them a cheque, but when he says he doesn't have a cheque book, they tell him he can take the cash to one of our local restaurants instead!

Grandad turns off his computer off and calls my uncle, who advises him to run a scan, which picks up some malware. The computer is now safe, but the scammers keep calling back demanding money. Grandad called the cops to report it and they don't want to know about it! We told him he should call the local media since the cops don't seem to care. No idea if the local restaurant is completely innocent or if an employee is running something but they keep calling so something needs to be done.

Call the cops again, and if they still won't listen, get the name and badge # of who you talk to. Then call the loal news. Be sure to mention the local restaurant angle.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #4771 on: Yesterday at 10:28:22 AM »
My Mother in law got scammed. She was using her computer when it wouldn't load something and a window popped up telling her that her computer had been hacked so she needed to call this phone number to get it unlocked.

She did. the people answering the phone told her she had been hacked by the Russians, or ISIS or the Taliban or what ever terrorist group would scare her. She gave them all kinds of personal information, although fortunately NOT her social security number and paid $200 by credit card. Then she called my husband afterwards.

Her credit card denied the charge. My husband had her turn off all her computers. He changed all her banking passwards (and ours!). and got her an appointment with a local computer store to check her devices for malware.

If only she had called him first... >:(
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4772 on: Yesterday at 01:49:06 PM »

...   Her credit card denied the charge. ...

That's impressive!  Good for them!

Team HoundMom

« Reply #4773 on: Today at 10:23:24 AM »
I got a fantastic scam email yesterday.  Apparently I purchased a football app through the Apple Store (which I did not) and to cancel the transaction "click here".  So I clicked.  The URL started out as "jokono" or something like that then switched to some legit-looking address.  The page was a form to fill out to "verify your information" in order to cancel the transaction - which had magically changed to a higher amount.  The form contained fields for your credit card number, expiry date, CVV number, mother's name, bank name, etc. etc.  It was hilariously obviously a scam.  What made it extra funny was the fine print at the bottom saying that the "Apple store is available to residents of the US."  I'm Canadian. 

I'm tempted to fill out each field with variants of "nice try" and "you wish". 

« Reply #4774 on: Today at 01:08:15 PM »
I got an email today from Team.Outlook. The subject was "Imidiate Update". Let me click on over and update that "immediately".  ::)

• my organizing website
« Reply #4775 on: Today at 04:01:12 PM »
My 81 yo mom got the "Help, I'm in Manilla with no money!" email today from a relative (I had noticed that same relative's wife has posted on FB this morning that folks were getting the scam email from their email address and to ignore it). Mom forwarded it to me at work and asked me to send $$ from her account that we are both on. I immediately called her and told her it was a scam. She asked if I was sure and I said definitely. SOO GLAD she forwarded it to me and didn't use another account.