Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1735604 times)

dietcokeofevil

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #10065 on: December 19, 2012, 11:40:53 PM »
Our company holiday luncheon was today.  About a 1/3 of our office works off-site and would be coming to the office just for lunch.  Instead of starting at the time on the invitation, they started 30 minutes earlier.  So those of us that came into the office got to walk into a room with everyone else almost finished with their meals.

caz

« Reply #10066 on: December 20, 2012, 06:11:35 AM »
My FIL likes to have The Game on when we visit. Unfortunately, he also likes to TiVo The Game so he can watch it later. So instead of conveniently watching The Game while it's actually happening, we have to wait for it to finish TiVoing, and THEN watch The Game so FIL can fast-forward through all the commercials. (Consequently, he also fast-forwards through anything that happens between the end of a play and the beginning of the next down.) Real fun watching things happen in The Game that happened 2-3 hours ago, and when you know the final score already.  ::)
My ex-flatmate used to fall asleep holding the remote, and would wake up every so often and rewind the parts he 'missed' (he'd already seen the game).  Trying to take the remote off him would wake him up too. 

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #10067 on: December 20, 2012, 07:23:38 AM »
When my mom tells me important information just AFTER the relevant point in time. For instance, she told me my entire family is allergic to sulfa antibiotics, and my uncle nearly died from taking them, right after I took the first dose. (FTR, I broke out in oozing hives head-to-toe the week before my PhD qualifying exams.)

Oh, ye furry little purple gods, this.

In my case, though, it wasn't an allergy, just a complete immunity.  Myself, my dad, grandmother, and a sizeable chunk of that side of my family are immune to opioids.  Thanks, Dad, but that bit of family history would've been great to know BEFORE I had had my gallbladder surgery.  In recovery in the hospital, they gave me morphine for the pain, and all the stupid stuff did was give me sleep apnea.  So I was still in pain, and now couldn't even fall asleep to escape it.  They sent me home with some supposedly strong pain medicine, and it did nothing (except make me throw up after an hour, possibly the most unpleasant thing that can happen to a person after having abdominal surgery).  I wound up glaring at the bottle for a moment before taking some naproxen and finally getting some relief. :P

Why do so many people apparently insist on doing this?!?!?  Yesterday, I had to go through my entire family history with the doctor, and had to answer "I don't know" to a bunch of questions about my dad's side of the family, since I'm not in contact with them.  I was talking to my mom last night, and I mentioned those questions to her.  Her response was to start telling me all the answers.  ::)  I just rolled my eyes and got the information. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #10068 on: December 20, 2012, 11:49:44 AM »
I am annoyed by our two vegetarians at work. I don't appreciate the verbal assertion of moral superiority they are displaying, just because there is food around. You have your choice, and I have mine. Enough already.

Shalamar

« Reply #10069 on: December 20, 2012, 12:52:16 PM »
Gah.  My older daughter is a vegan, my younger daughter is a vegetarian - and they NEVER impose their ways on others.  They consider it gauche and rude.  Those folks give other vegetarians a bad name!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10070 on: December 20, 2012, 01:36:41 PM »
I used to work with people who seemed to feel the need to tell everyone just where their meaty food came from while they were eating it.   Look, I don't begrudge anyone their choices in diet but don't try to make me yak while eating my turkey sandwich, mmkay?

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #10071 on: December 20, 2012, 01:52:31 PM »
I used to work with people who seemed to feel the need to tell everyone just where their meaty food came from while they were eating it.   Look, I don't begrudge anyone their choices in diet but don't try to make me yak while eating my turkey sandwich, mmkay?

I know a few folks like that. They love to crow "You SHOULD know where your food comes from! You should take an interest." Then they try to show me pictures of factory farms.

Yet they turn green and huff if I tell them I not only know, but that my turkey sandwich came from a tom named Big Bubba who flew into the face of his owner's three year old and earned himself a place of honor in our freezer for it. I also know where my beef ribs came from, although I'm not sure if they ever had a name. (Not sure if the white text would be disturbing, so I hid it. Its not explicit or anything.)
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #10072 on: December 20, 2012, 02:01:24 PM »
It annoys me that the WC has decided to "name" winter storms this year.  I can't articulate why I find it bothersome, but I refuse to go along with it.    ;D
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10073 on: December 20, 2012, 04:24:20 PM »
It annoys me that the WC has decided to "name" winter storms this year.  I can't articulate why I find it bothersome, but I refuse to go along with it.    ;D

Oh, for Pete's sake! (Whoever he is!)

It's snowing and blowing like crazy right now, and if is really, really bad, we'll just call it 'The Snowstorm of 2012'. Right now, it's just another almost-blizzard to endure in a normal, northern Illinois winter. It won't affect any normal human who has enough sense to stay off the road or drive super carfully if he must travel. It is not likely to destoy homes in mass as a tornado or hurricane will.

mmswm

« Reply #10074 on: December 20, 2012, 04:36:16 PM »
The food thing drives me up a wall.  I have a stomach of steel, so my usual response is to start telling some really gross stories about food processing.  If the person gets really bad, I'll go into the FDA guidelines on bugs in wheat products.  I can gross anybody out about anything.  It's a special talent  >:D .  That generally shuts people down.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

blueyzca01

« Reply #10075 on: December 20, 2012, 04:49:57 PM »
Our company holiday luncheon was today.  About a 1/3 of our office works off-site and would be coming to the office just for lunch.  Instead of starting at the time on the invitation, they started 30 minutes earlier.  So those of us that came into the office got to walk into a room with everyone else almost finished with their meals.

DH's wonderful (normally) family did this to us last Thanksgiving.

SIL LOVES LOVES LOVES to go to this particular buffet for T-Day (Capistrano's in Oxnard, for those in SoCal).  BTW, it's not that great.  She really loves not having to cook/clean/prep, and loves being near the ocean.  Okay, that's fine, but that's only a 30 minute drive for her and her family; for DH and me, it's about an hour drive. 

SIL made reservations for 3pm, with plans to arrive earlier and take a walk on the beach.  We told them that we'd arrive at the hotel by 2:45.

When we arrived, we found them in the dining room, FINISHING their meals.  SIL explained that they arrived at 2 and they were absolutely famished and they knew we wouldn't mind if they went ahead and ate.  (NOTE: we minded).  And of course, since they were done, it made it very uncomfortable for us to have a leisurely meal, since the boys (9 years old) were starting to get antsy and wanted to leave already.

$50/plate+tax+tip x 2 for a rushed meal that wasn't even good.  No thanks.  We stuck to our guns this year and didn't go.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 05:00:07 PM by blueyzca01 »
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #10076 on: December 20, 2012, 04:51:05 PM »
One of the people I referred to up-thread is a fairly new addition. She came over for a management company luncheon which was advertised as barbecue, and the only vegetarian items were coleslaw and desserts.

The next day, she remarked to a room of 15 - 20 people how she was just amazed to see us eating barbecue the day before. Her statement was, "I don't see why you like big chunks of animals sitting in fat and sauce." This was said with a smug look and a smirk. I replied how much I enjoy barbecue and that my DH and I make it quite often at home.

nuit93

« Reply #10077 on: December 20, 2012, 04:57:38 PM »
The food thing drives me up a wall.  I have a stomach of steel, so my usual response is to start telling some really gross stories about food processing.  If the person gets really bad, I'll go into the FDA guidelines on bugs in wheat products.  I can gross anybody out about anything.  It's a special talent  >:D .  That generally shuts people down.

You know, I'm the same way.  I don't get phased/grossed out easily if someone is describing where/how my food was processed.

Shalamar

« Reply #10078 on: December 20, 2012, 05:10:15 PM »
Her statement was, "I don't see why you like big chunks of animals sitting in fat and sauce."

Was her name Kimberley, perchance?  Because I think I used to work with her.  She wasn't a vegetarian, but she had a thing about certain meats, which she would refer to as "foetal (whatever)".   If someone was eating a ham sandwich, she'd call it "foetal pig", for example.

One day, she noticed my co-worker buddy eating what appeared to be a chicken sandwich.  She asked him whether it was "foetal chicken".  He replied with a pleasant smile "No - it's rabbit."  (That was the truth.  His mother-in-law raised rabbits for a living.)  Kimberley gasped in horror and said "You're eating THUMPER?".

I wish I could say that she never called our food "foetal (blah)" ever again, but that wouldn't be true - however, she never asked my buddy what his lunch was again.

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #10079 on: December 20, 2012, 05:17:33 PM »
I guess she had no idea what fetal actually meant, eh?
Utah