Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1295851 times)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #10110 on: December 21, 2012, 04:35:59 PM »

Thanks LK1, I attribute my shiny spine to lots of lurking on this forum.

I've got one. Why is it that I can't seem to come out of a home improvement store without spending at least $100? Even if I only go in to buy a box of nails I end up getting a cart and filling it with other things that I "need." It's worse than going grocery shopping while hungry!

Or why I can't leave Target without spending at least $75 when my primary mission is cat food?

M and I have a running joke... any trip to the dollar store will result in no less than $30 in purchases, and no more than $35.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #10111 on: December 21, 2012, 05:00:16 PM »
People who dazzle me with car lights!

Either they have the lighting rig for a rock concert on the front of their car which turns my mirrors into a blaze of light, or they fail to use their handbrake appropriately at traffic lights after dark so I get dazzled with brakelights!  GRRR!

Snooks

« Reply #10112 on: December 21, 2012, 05:30:45 PM »
When I have a really good idea then start doubting myself.  DH has been wanting a tablet computer for a long time, unfortunately most of what he said went in one ear and out the other.  I've just gone and bought him one which I'm 99% sure is the right one but now I realise that the name is very similar to the phone he just bought so I may have got the wrong thing.

Turns out I got the right thing.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10113 on: December 21, 2012, 05:35:10 PM »
Most shows on Nick or Disney that are geared towards preteens/teens in which the parents are portrayed as stupid and/or extremely shallow while the kids are a mix of smart and extremely stupid.  Best example I can think of is Good Luck Charlie.  They have one good smart daughter (Teddy), a clueless son, one smart and crafty devious kid (Gabe) and then there's the title character, Charlie, a toddler currently who has as much personality as Michelle did in "Full House".
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #10114 on: December 21, 2012, 06:07:00 PM »
When I have a really good idea then start doubting myself.  DH has been wanting a tablet computer for a long time, unfortunately most of what he said went in one ear and out the other.  I've just gone and bought him one which I'm 99% sure is the right one but now I realise that the name is very similar to the phone he just bought so I may have got the wrong thing.

Turns out I got the right thing.

Yaay!!!! That is good to hear. I am prone to that feeling myself.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

snowfire

« Reply #10115 on: December 21, 2012, 06:19:09 PM »
Right now, the fact that my wedding album is MIA.  I'm redoing my Mom's copy of the album as her Christmas present since the old album had fallen apart.  I need some more pics because the new one has more pages than the old one.  I thought that I knew right where mine was but the dang thing has walked off.  How on earth can a book that is about 12 x 14 x 4 vanish?????

I have the negatives and I can go that route but it would be a royal pain because there are 300-400 negs......

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #10116 on: December 21, 2012, 06:48:47 PM »

Either they have the lighting rig for a rock concert on the front of their car which turns my mirrors into a blaze of light, or they fail to use their handbrake appropriately at traffic lights after dark so I get dazzled with brakelights!  GRRR!
???  I've never heard of this in 40+ years of driving. Must be the difference between here and there.  Handbrakes are for two things here in the US -- to keep a parked car from rolling on a slope, and as a backup to use in an emergency, in case your footbrakes give out for some reason.  The only reason that I might use a handbrake while the car was stationary but with the engine on is if I was stuck in a completely stopped traffic jam, and it looked like it might not clear any time soon.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #10117 on: December 21, 2012, 07:13:20 PM »
When you say that you hated something like '50 Shades' or 'Twilight', and people say it's because you just don't understand TWU WUV!!!! Yuck.

Though '50 Shades' has the extra that if you didn't like it, not only do you not understand TWU WUV, you are also prudish and uptight, no matter what book you say is better. I witnessed a conversation where someone said they liked the 'Sleeping Beauty Trilogy' and hated '50 Shades' get accused of being a prude  :o

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10118 on: December 21, 2012, 07:26:07 PM »

Thanks LK1, I attribute my shiny spine to lots of lurking on this forum.

I've got one. Why is it that I can't seem to come out of a home improvement store without spending at least $100? Even if I only go in to buy a box of nails I end up getting a cart and filling it with other things that I "need." It's worse than going grocery shopping while hungry!

Or why I can't leave Target without spending at least $75 when my primary mission is cat food?

We go to IKEA to 'look' and get a meatball lunch.  Always, we wind up spending 75 dollars or so in the housewares department. 
M and I have a running joke... any trip to the dollar store will result in no less than $30 in purchases, and no more than $35.

RingTailedLemur

« Reply #10119 on: December 22, 2012, 04:09:54 AM »

???  I've never heard of this in 40+ years of driving. Must be the difference between here and there.  Handbrakes are for two things here in the US -- to keep a parked car from rolling on a slope, and as a backup to use in an emergency, in case your footbrakes give out for some reason.  The only reason that I might use a handbrake while the car was stationary but with the engine on is if I was stuck in a completely stopped traffic jam, and it looked like it might not clear any time soon.

Yes, when I visited Canada my host told me they didn't do it there either.  I learned to drive in 2009 and my instructor was very insistent that if you're stopped at lights for more than a few seconds you should pop the handbrake on.  It does make a huge difference to me in terms of dazzle - maybe our brakelights are brighter than US/Canadian ones?

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10120 on: December 22, 2012, 05:44:44 AM »

Yes, when I visited Canada my host told me they didn't do it there either.  I learned to drive in 2009 and my instructor was very insistent that if you're stopped at lights for more than a few seconds you should pop the handbrake on.  It does make a huge difference to me in terms of dazzle - maybe our brakelights are brighter than US/Canadian ones?

What is a handbrake? I've been driving for 50 years, lots of different cars.

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10121 on: December 22, 2012, 05:48:19 AM »
When you say that you hated something like '50 Shades' or 'Twilight', and people say it's because you just don't understand TWU WUV!!!! Yuck.

Though '50 Shades' has the extra that if you didn't like it, not only do you not understand TWU WUV, you are also prudish and uptight, no matter what book you say is better. I witnessed a conversation where someone said they liked the 'Sleeping Beauty Trilogy' and hated '50 Shades' get accused of being a prude  :o

What is TWU WUV?

I'm really slow this morning.

RingTailedLemur

« Reply #10122 on: December 22, 2012, 05:55:25 AM »

The little lever with a button on top that you pull when stopped.  I think some people across the pond call it a "parking brake"?

RingTailedLemur

« Reply #10123 on: December 22, 2012, 05:56:26 AM »

What is TWU WUV?

I'm really slow this morning.

True love... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbqv3MwwVd8&hl=en-GB&gl=GB

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10124 on: December 22, 2012, 06:35:08 AM »

The little lever with a button on top that you pull when stopped.  I think some people across the pond call it a "parking brake"?

Sorry, I've never seen that. My parking brakes have  always been on the left side of the floor (driver's side) and gosh awful to apply and release. I only use it on really steep hills. Wait! I do remember having to yank something really hard for the parking brake, then twist it really hard to release it.

No way would I use it at a stoplight - maybe shift into Park if it is long train or traffic jam.

I've never noticed that other people's brakelights are blinding. Sorry you are bothered by it.