News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 23, 2018, 10:23:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 5497125 times)

Emmy

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #10125 on: December 24, 2012, 07:52:09 AM »
I am expecting a child and went to a new OB.  When I finished my first appointment, I asked them about scheduling a second one and they handed me a card with the number of a person who coordinates appointments and told me to call.  So now I am in a game of phone tag, I had called her twice and she returned my call twice thus far and we still haven't gotten in touch.  It would be so much less annoying if I was just able to make an appointment in person before leaving the office (and I'm sure much less of their time would be wasted trying to return calls).

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #10126 on: December 24, 2012, 01:50:56 PM »
When someone who is a position to change things makes an enormous generalization. "I don't think I'd be healthy if I could eat ice cream whenever I wanted, so I'm going to raise the tax on ice cream! I wasn't very responsible in college, so college students shouldn't get certain privileges!"

Geez, Mr. Lawmaker, why don't you go meet every single one of your constituents and find out how many of them are irresponsible ice cream-gobblers?
Like that idiot who wanted ALL of New York City's restaurants to stop using salt in their cooking.  His father was on a salt-free diet, so EVERYBODY should stop using salt!  He said, "Well, if people really want salt, they can sprinkle some on at the table."   ::)

It was clear that he had NEVER done any cooking or baking, or he would know that adding salt during preparation and adding salt after the food is cooked gives you completely different flavors, even in something as simple as fried eggs.  Are you going to sprinkle salt on your chocolate chip cookies or your lemon-meringue pie, buddy?  :P How are you going to control the yeast-rise during bread baking without salt? 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #10127 on: December 24, 2012, 02:54:08 PM »
When someone who is a position to change things makes an enormous generalization. "I don't think I'd be healthy if I could eat ice cream whenever I wanted, so I'm going to raise the tax on ice cream! I wasn't very responsible in college, so college students shouldn't get certain privileges!"

Geez, Mr. Lawmaker, why don't you go meet every single one of your constituents and find out how many of them are irresponsible ice cream-gobblers?
Like that idiot who wanted ALL of New York City's restaurants to stop using salt in their cooking.  His father was on a salt-free diet, so EVERYBODY should stop using salt!  He said, "Well, if people really want salt, they can sprinkle some on at the table."   ::)

It was clear that he had NEVER done any cooking or baking, or he would know that adding salt during preparation and adding salt after the food is cooked gives you completely different flavors, even in something as simple as fried eggs.  Are you going to sprinkle salt on your chocolate chip cookies or your lemon-meringue pie, buddy?  :P How are you going to control the yeast-rise during bread baking without salt?

I detest the taste of salt, and even I put salt in my omelets!  (Of course, ti's kosher sea salt, even though I don't keep kosher, but it's still salt durnit!)

kherbert05

• Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #10128 on: December 24, 2012, 04:15:37 PM »

When people worry about getting "drunk" off cooked foods that contain some form of alcohol in them.  About 4 years ago I made tipsy sweet potatoes (basically the sweet potato&marshmallow dish with whiskey) and DH's grandmother fussed that I was going to get them drunk and wouldn't eat it.   His mom, dad, uncle and aunt ate it too, his mom and aunt joking that they were getting drunk.  You can't get drunk off it folks, the alcohol burns off and leaves the flavor.

They must have liked it though as they don't mind having it again this year but for the last 4 years there was always the "Oh you want to make us drunk?" joke.

That does sound tasty!

Though to be fair, I do know some alcoholics in recovery who will not touch food that has even been cooked with alcohol-even if the alcohol is completely cooked off.
POD - I have family members in recovery that have the same policy. They don't want to chance falling off the wagon and the taste is a trigger for them. They would just decline - not tease the cook though.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #10129 on: December 26, 2012, 05:35:45 AM »
Blank looks.

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #10130 on: December 26, 2012, 07:43:58 AM »
Furbies!! My middle son got one from "Santa" and they're both cute and annoying.  Did you know how easy it is to wake them up?  He couldn't take it upstairs till he was asleep, as DH had gone to bed early since he had to work today.  He took it up but pushing it a little and then accidentally tipping it over woke it up and he had to bring it down until it fell asleep again.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

girlysprite

• I like big books, and I cannot lie
« Reply #10131 on: December 26, 2012, 09:43:14 AM »
My baby has a slight nosecold, which causes him to snore. He sleeps in our bedroom and his snoring is loud enough to cause trouble for me and DH to fall asleep. Sometimes DH manages to adjust the position of baby's face so that the snoring stops. Five minutes later I'm fretting over wherher baby is still breathing at all. When the snoring starts again it's actually a relief...but makes sleeping harder again :p
I'm quite certain that I'm not the only new parent who has fretted this.

LB

« Reply #10132 on: December 26, 2012, 10:23:40 AM »
I have a six week old baby and my current pet peeve is being asked by every one I meet if she is a "good" baby. Even though I know what they mean it still eeks me.

I'm a little behind on this thread, but this drove me crazy when mine was a baby too! I commented to DH about it often. After awhile I started saying "Yes, he's very good at being a baby." Some people laughed, some people gave me funny looks and would try to explain further what they meant.

And then there were the "Don't spoil the baby!" remarks. When he was less than a month old and I was picking him up to comfort or feed him because he was crying.

girlysprite

• I like big books, and I cannot lie
« Reply #10133 on: December 26, 2012, 10:40:53 AM »

And then there were the "Don't spoil the baby!" remarks. When he was less than a month old and I was picking him up to comfort or feed him because he was crying.

I recognise this! Sometimes the baby (3 weeks old) stays awake and a bit restless after the clean diaper, feeding and burping. My DH and I won't put him in his bed until he is already sleeping, as he won't go to sleep on his own in his bed. Usually we sing him a lullaby, massage him a bit and cradle him in our arms. My FIL made an offhand comment about how the baby would learn this pattern and did this (being restless and awake) on purpose for attention. We're pretty sure young babies don't work like that.
Personally, I believe that young babies can't be spoiled in that regard.

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #10134 on: December 26, 2012, 11:06:59 AM »
I have a six week old baby and my current pet peeve is being asked by every one I meet if she is a "good" baby. Even though I know what they mean it still eeks me.

I'm a little behind on this thread, but this drove me crazy when mine was a baby too! I commented to DH about it often. After awhile I started saying "Yes, he's very good at being a baby." Some people laughed, some people gave me funny looks and would try to explain further what they meant.

People still say that about babes that age? I've heard it when mine were around 4-6 months old and I ignored it just as much then.  My maternal grandmother, I'm told, believed it was good for a baby's lungs to let them cry.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

LB

« Reply #10135 on: December 26, 2012, 11:21:46 AM »

People still say that about babes that age? I've heard it when mine were around 4-6 months old and I ignored it just as much then.  My maternal grandmother, I'm told, believed it was good for a baby's lungs to let them cry.

Pirate, even that one is still around. I heard it from several people when mine was a baby.

(P.S. I'm not liking saying "when he was a baby." I'm pouting because I want him to still be a baby.  ;))

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #10136 on: December 26, 2012, 12:06:03 PM »
That doesn't surprise me.   Actually even with going through the baby stuff a 3rd time round I still had to remind my DH several times that crying it out for an extended time is not good for a little baby.  When they get closer to 1 yeah, that's when you can let them squawk for a few minutes but should always check in on them if they're still screaming. 

Piratebabe doesn't like to be in his crib and left alone at all so Christmas Eve he squawked for about 2 minutes and then when I went up to check on him he was out like a light, head on the mattress, butt in the air.

And I know what you mean about "when he was a baby". :)

That reminds me of a brain hurt I'll have to post in the other thread.

Elfmama

« Reply #10137 on: December 26, 2012, 12:22:03 PM »

I recognise this! Sometimes the baby (3 weeks old) stays awake and a bit restless after the clean diaper, feeding and burping. My DH and I won't put him in his bed until he is already sleeping, as he won't go to sleep on his own in his bed. Usually we sing him a lullaby, massage him a bit and cradle him in our arms. My FIL made an offhand comment about how the baby would learn this pattern and did this (being restless and awake) on purpose for attention. We're pretty sure young babies don't work like that.
Personally, I believe that young babies can't be spoiled in that regard.
ITA.  If a baby stops crying when you pick him up, then picking him up was what he needed.  And three weeks is MUCH too young to understand "If I do X then Y happens."  Sometimes I think even teens don't always comprehend it!

Elfmama

« Reply #10138 on: December 26, 2012, 12:26:47 PM »
My maternal grandmother, I'm told, believed it was good for a baby's lungs to let them cry.
Her pediatrician probably told her that. That was accepted medical wisdom in the mid-20th century.  It was also accepted medical wisdom that a baby, even a newborn, should be on a 4-hour feeding schedule.  If he woke up after 2 1/2 hours and was hungry, you should just let him cry for the next 1 1/2 hours.  All too many people believed that the doctor was never wrong.  :(

Oh, and I forgot to mention my own gripe, now safely laid to rest for the next 11 months -- people, particularly singers, who say "Sanna" or "Sanny" instead of "Santa."  It's not that hard to say, people!   
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 12:31:02 PM by Elfmama »

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #10139 on: December 26, 2012, 01:04:52 PM »
My maternal grandmother, I'm told, believed it was good for a baby's lungs to let them cry.
Her pediatrician probably told her that. That was accepted medical wisdom in the mid-20th century.  It was also accepted medical wisdom that a baby, even a newborn, should be on a 4-hour feeding schedule.  If he woke up after 2 1/2 hours and was hungry, you should just let him cry for the next 1 1/2 hours.  All too many people believed that the doctor was never wrong.  :(

Oh, and I forgot to mention my own gripe, now safely laid to rest for the next 11 months -- people, particularly singers, who say "Sanna" or "Sanny" instead of "Santa."  It's not that hard to say, people!   

Oh I figured, as my mother is the oldest of 3 and was born in the 50's so I'm sure that is probably what my grandmother was told when her daughters were little.  Used to bother my parents quite a bit when she'd say stuff like that.  She also was one who never asked questions, just accepted whatever they were told by the doctor.