Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1566007 times)

LB

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #10170 on: December 26, 2012, 11:23:40 AM »
I have a six week old baby and my current pet peeve is being asked by every one I meet if she is a "good" baby. Even though I know what they mean it still eeks me.

I'm a little behind on this thread, but this drove me crazy when mine was a baby too! I commented to DH about it often. After awhile I started saying "Yes, he's very good at being a baby." Some people laughed, some people gave me funny looks and would try to explain further what they meant.

And then there were the "Don't spoil the baby!" remarks. When he was less than a month old and I was picking him up to comfort or feed him because he was crying.

girlysprite

• I like big books, and I cannot lie
« Reply #10171 on: December 26, 2012, 11:40:53 AM »

And then there were the "Don't spoil the baby!" remarks. When he was less than a month old and I was picking him up to comfort or feed him because he was crying.

I recognise this! Sometimes the baby (3 weeks old) stays awake and a bit restless after the clean diaper, feeding and burping. My DH and I won't put him in his bed until he is already sleeping, as he won't go to sleep on his own in his bed. Usually we sing him a lullaby, massage him a bit and cradle him in our arms. My FIL made an offhand comment about how the baby would learn this pattern and did this (being restless and awake) on purpose for attention. We're pretty sure young babies don't work like that.
Personally, I believe that young babies can't be spoiled in that regard.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10172 on: December 26, 2012, 12:06:59 PM »
I have a six week old baby and my current pet peeve is being asked by every one I meet if she is a "good" baby. Even though I know what they mean it still eeks me.

I'm a little behind on this thread, but this drove me crazy when mine was a baby too! I commented to DH about it often. After awhile I started saying "Yes, he's very good at being a baby." Some people laughed, some people gave me funny looks and would try to explain further what they meant.

People still say that about babes that age? I've heard it when mine were around 4-6 months old and I ignored it just as much then.  My maternal grandmother, I'm told, believed it was good for a baby's lungs to let them cry.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

LB

« Reply #10173 on: December 26, 2012, 12:21:46 PM »

People still say that about babes that age? I've heard it when mine were around 4-6 months old and I ignored it just as much then.  My maternal grandmother, I'm told, believed it was good for a baby's lungs to let them cry.

Pirate, even that one is still around. I heard it from several people when mine was a baby.

(P.S. I'm not liking saying "when he was a baby." I'm pouting because I want him to still be a baby.  ;))

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10174 on: December 26, 2012, 01:06:03 PM »
That doesn't surprise me.   Actually even with going through the baby stuff a 3rd time round I still had to remind my DH several times that crying it out for an extended time is not good for a little baby.  When they get closer to 1 yeah, that's when you can let them squawk for a few minutes but should always check in on them if they're still screaming. 

Piratebabe doesn't like to be in his crib and left alone at all so Christmas Eve he squawked for about 2 minutes and then when I went up to check on him he was out like a light, head on the mattress, butt in the air.

And I know what you mean about "when he was a baby". :)

That reminds me of a brain hurt I'll have to post in the other thread.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10175 on: December 26, 2012, 01:22:03 PM »

I recognise this! Sometimes the baby (3 weeks old) stays awake and a bit restless after the clean diaper, feeding and burping. My DH and I won't put him in his bed until he is already sleeping, as he won't go to sleep on his own in his bed. Usually we sing him a lullaby, massage him a bit and cradle him in our arms. My FIL made an offhand comment about how the baby would learn this pattern and did this (being restless and awake) on purpose for attention. We're pretty sure young babies don't work like that.
Personally, I believe that young babies can't be spoiled in that regard.
ITA.  If a baby stops crying when you pick him up, then picking him up was what he needed.  And three weeks is MUCH too young to understand "If I do X then Y happens."  Sometimes I think even teens don't always comprehend it!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10176 on: December 26, 2012, 01:26:47 PM »
My maternal grandmother, I'm told, believed it was good for a baby's lungs to let them cry.
Her pediatrician probably told her that. That was accepted medical wisdom in the mid-20th century.  It was also accepted medical wisdom that a baby, even a newborn, should be on a 4-hour feeding schedule.  If he woke up after 2 1/2 hours and was hungry, you should just let him cry for the next 1 1/2 hours.  All too many people believed that the doctor was never wrong.  :(

Oh, and I forgot to mention my own gripe, now safely laid to rest for the next 11 months -- people, particularly singers, who say "Sanna" or "Sanny" instead of "Santa."  It's not that hard to say, people!   
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 01:31:02 PM by Elfmama »
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10177 on: December 26, 2012, 02:04:52 PM »
My maternal grandmother, I'm told, believed it was good for a baby's lungs to let them cry.
Her pediatrician probably told her that. That was accepted medical wisdom in the mid-20th century.  It was also accepted medical wisdom that a baby, even a newborn, should be on a 4-hour feeding schedule.  If he woke up after 2 1/2 hours and was hungry, you should just let him cry for the next 1 1/2 hours.  All too many people believed that the doctor was never wrong.  :(

Oh, and I forgot to mention my own gripe, now safely laid to rest for the next 11 months -- people, particularly singers, who say "Sanna" or "Sanny" instead of "Santa."  It's not that hard to say, people!   

Oh I figured, as my mother is the oldest of 3 and was born in the 50's so I'm sure that is probably what my grandmother was told when her daughters were little.  Used to bother my parents quite a bit when she'd say stuff like that.  She also was one who never asked questions, just accepted whatever they were told by the doctor. 

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #10178 on: December 27, 2012, 02:33:19 AM »
On the doctor note - when people act like you have just given them shocking esoteric information passed down secretly by generations of ninja medicine men when you tell them basic drug information included in the information packet with their prescription, especially when you have the same prescription.

"HOW DID YOU KNOW THAT!?!"
"It says so right there - your doctor probably didn't bring it up because they expected the pharmacist to, or thought it was common knowledge."

Carotte

« Reply #10179 on: December 27, 2012, 07:01:09 AM »
Well, turn out that even past 24 years old, and not having be in the habit of crying wolf, my mother still doesn't believe me when I say I'm sick/broke something. She said so, multiple time at the holiday diner table and with friends, when I was explaining that I have a micro stress fracture in my foot. She said she didn't believe me (that I had something wrong), until I went to see the doctor.
Lets see, that's a broken arm, a broken thumb, a double tendinitis, a nerve pulled on the bottom of my foot (same time, same foot as the double tendinitis), renal colic and hyperacousis, that she never trusted me to have?

She also never took a bunch of things into account when I explain them to her, she rather trust some stranger in a store explaining the same thing to his girlfriend.

Betelnut

« Reply #10180 on: December 27, 2012, 02:47:27 PM »
Something like this:

A list that says, "The Best 100 Movies Ever Made" as chosen by some group.  As a movie buff, I want to see what's on the list.  At one glance, I say to myself, "Oh, they mean English-language movies!" or "Oh, they mean movies made in the US!"  or "Oh movies made after 1975!"  It's as if people who make the list think only recent, American-made (or English) movies matter.  If that is the case, at least CALL your list, "Top 100 Hollywood Movies."  That would be more accurate.

Also, on a similar vein, recently (BBC?) was having specials called, "The Women of Dr. Who" as well as specials on other topics.  Well, they only had women from the more recent Dr. Whos and not from other eras.  (As far as I could tell, I could be wrong.)  I guess only the "modern" or recent Dr. Whos matter?
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Reader

« Reply #10181 on: December 27, 2012, 03:54:54 PM »
People who refuse to drive safely when snow is falling.  I was almost rear ended at a stop sign, it's a 4 way stop, and I was waiting till it was my turn to go behind another car.  I look up and see headlights in my rearview mirror coming up on me fast.  Not having anywhere to move I start to feel my heartbeat speed up in anticipation that this driver is going to hit me.  Luckily enough she was able to turn her wheel and fishtail into the curb ending up diagonally behind me, so close that I was able to make out it was a woman driver  :o.  It was so bad out my commute to my second job took twice as long.  Highest speed I was able to reach on the highway was 35, when the posted limit is 70, and I saw numerous cars in ditches my whole way there.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #10182 on: December 27, 2012, 03:59:41 PM »
What Reader said.

I nearly got flattened by a garbage truck yesterday.  Speeding AND ran the light. 

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #10183 on: December 27, 2012, 05:04:01 PM »
Something like this:

A list that says, "The Best 100 Movies Ever Made" as chosen by some group.  As a movie buff, I want to see what's on the list.  At one glance, I say to myself, "Oh, they mean English-language movies!" or "Oh, they mean movies made in the US!"  or "Oh movies made after 1975!"  It's as if people who make the list think only recent, American-made (or English) movies matter.  If that is the case, at least CALL your list, "Top 100 Hollywood Movies."  That would be more accurate.

Also, on a similar vein, recently (BBC?) was having specials called, "The Women of Dr. Who" as well as specials on other topics.  Well, they only had women from the more recent Dr. Whos and not from other eras.  (As far as I could tell, I could be wrong.)  I guess only the "modern" or recent Dr. Whos matter?

Sounds like a list made by some of my college bud's former cow-workers (not experienced enough to be called colleagues), most of whom were so young they had never seen a black and white movie.  I also find this irritating.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #10184 on: December 27, 2012, 05:20:30 PM »
Last night, saw a nearmiss between two SUVs, neither of which stopped at the intersection (despite stop signs present).  The one going across nearly clipped the back of the one going down.  No snow, just rain.