Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1642969 times)

laud_shy_girl

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #10230 on: January 04, 2013, 06:59:26 AM »
DH seems to think me getting up at 7 driving for an hour, packing boxes all day and driving home after 7 all with a very bad cold/throat infection (which I am sure is only as bad as it is because I am border line exhausted) and still recovering from a hernia op, constitutes a rest because I left baby girl at my mums with him. He only had a her for a few hours as SIL took  her out for most of the day.

He has also said in the past, when he has traveled for an evening out and would be crashing at his brothers (at my insistence) "well we could do with a rest."
Yes because being the sole care giver for a baby is a rest.

He can not get it through his head I am exhausted mostly because he worked away for 4 weeks and while he had long hours he also got down time.

I had Baby girl (who was going through an "I won't sleep" phase) on my own. So no down time

This drives me up the wall.

He is a wonderful, just clueless. (Grumpy panda face)  ;)
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10231 on: January 04, 2013, 08:14:41 AM »
Couldn't find grumpy panda face.  Will Grumpy Cat do?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #10232 on: January 04, 2013, 08:20:03 AM »
^^ laud_shy_girl, my friend's husband travels globally a lot for business, leaving her home alone with their two daughters (both under 5.) For Christmas, he told her that all he wanted was "time to himself." She told him he had to be kidding. Like all that alone time when he's traveling across Europe and she's home doing laundry and dishes and taking care of their kids? He's lucky she didn't punch him  :P

I recently found a product that I love. It's a completely unnecessary product though, there are no benefits for me except that it tastes good. I'd order more in a heartbeat...but their shipping is crazy expensive. A $30 order will cost me $10 to ship. I just can't justify it.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10233 on: January 04, 2013, 08:33:00 AM »
My DH was rather clueless about that kind of thing when my eldest was a baby.  Wonderful in other ways but some days I wanted to clobber him with a clue by four.   I don't think he got that it wasn't easy to keep a house clean with a walking toddler and being pregnant, or having a toddler and an infant at the same time and he'd come home and do the "what have you done all day?" remark.

He knows better now.  On Tuesday I spent 2 hours deep cleaning our living room (as in moving furniture to vacuum under it and unfolding the hide-a-bed to make sure that was clean.) and within two hours the older two had started to dump things in the living room that didn't belong in there.   Heck piratebabe causes less of a mess than his older brothers do.

It used to drive me mad when DH would say "don't jump on me once I need to get home, I need to unwind after work".  Which, I do recognize is true, as having worked I do understand that need.

But when I did work and came home I couldn't just unwind, I had to pick up the kids from daycare, make sure they did their homework and fix something for dinner. My drive from work to the daycare was all the unwinding time I got.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10234 on: January 04, 2013, 09:50:38 AM »
A couple of kid-related ones. That my older two act like they were raised by wolves at home but in public and at someone else's home, they're angels.  Better than the other way around, I know, but I get tired of yelling at them to stop carrying on like wolf cubs at play in the house, especially when it's still getting dark around 5 and it's not like I can kick them out of the house.

When I'm putting pants on the baby.  Usually put them on when he's laying down or at least get the little legs in, then stand him up to pull them over his bum.  What does he do? Pulls his legs out of the pants.  I  put them back on one by one. 

Put the second leg in, he pulls out the first. Put it back in, he pulls out the other.  Like putting pants on an octopus, I swear.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #10235 on: January 04, 2013, 09:53:14 AM »
Maybe some kind of cotton drawstring bag would be easier?  >:D

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10236 on: January 04, 2013, 10:02:28 AM »
 :D  Thanks for the memories! It used to crack me up when that happened!

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Cat blog
« Reply #10237 on: January 04, 2013, 10:49:02 AM »
My current real peeve? People who don't understand that "Working from home" does not mean available for long telephone chats, meeting up at their convenience, running errands for them etc. I've just cut short yet another conversation with a relative who phoned for "just a chat" right in the middle of my work day, and I know I'll catch it in the neck from them later on. They don't do this when I'm in an office, but apparently because I'm working from home my deadlines aren't real.

Am I seriously going to have to go back to turning the phone off?

CuriousParty

« Reply #10238 on: January 04, 2013, 10:50:26 AM »
When I'm putting pants on the baby.  Usually put them on when he's laying down or at least get the little legs in, then stand him up to pull them over his bum.  What does he do? Pulls his legs out of the pants.  I  put them back on one by one. 

Put the second leg in, he pulls out the first. Put it back in, he pulls out the other.  Like putting pants on an octopus, I swear.

Sigh. Yes.  Though mine is still too little to stand (even with assistance - 5 months), so the octopus-like leg in/leg out happens on the changing table, then I have to kind of prop him up on my shoulder and jiggle to get the pants over his butt...which frequently ends with spitup on my shirt/arm/hair/pants/floor.

CuriousParty

« Reply #10239 on: January 04, 2013, 10:52:57 AM »
My current real peeve? People who don't understand that "Working from home" does not mean available for long telephone chats, meeting up at their convenience, running errands for them etc. I've just cut short yet another conversation with a relative who phoned for "just a chat" right in the middle of my work day, and I know I'll catch it in the neck from them later on. They don't do this when I'm in an office, but apparently because I'm working from home my deadlines aren't real.

YES! This too!  My DH just diverted a call from a friend who was on her morning commute and calling to complain about her DH and how he makes her late/interrupts her procedure for getting out the door in the morning (they also have a new baby, and are adjusting).

Which I get, but it was 9 in the morning.  She knows full well that I am either 1) working from home or 2) taking care of my two littles and/or getting the oldest off to school.  This is a good time for me to chat in what universe?

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10240 on: January 04, 2013, 11:02:17 AM »
When people want to chat on the phone, period.  I'm not a chatty person.  The phone is for delivering messages, not a long heart-to-heart discussion. Just get to the point already and let me get back to what I was doing!
into books first.

stkatie00

« Reply #10241 on: January 04, 2013, 11:17:04 AM »

Totally this. The twins are 13 months old, and getting pants on them can be an exercise in futility some days. Not to mention, in order to have the correct length of pant, the waist is often too big, so they end up crawling out of them!

Also, diaper changes are apparently torture to them-don't they know we'd be done a whole lot faster if they didn't scream, try and roll over, or sit up, or stand? And they're also at the point where they just love to put their hands in the dirty diaper, so it's ever so much fun to try and keep the mess contained, their hands away, clean them up, and keep them from crawling away! All while they scream their heads off. I'm fortunate that my husband DOES understand that I spend all day with them, and so if I say I need time away to decompress, he takes over and tells me to have fun. :)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #10242 on: January 04, 2013, 11:27:33 AM »

I recommend screening your calls, or having time set aside to receive calls and leaving the ringer off during your work time. My MIL loves to call when she knows I have taken a day off from my office job, which is usually intended for various appointments, baking and decorating a cake order, studying, or when I am ill.

If you use a mobile phone, there is an awesome app called Semi-Silent that allows you to keep your phone on silent, but "white list" certain numbers to come through.

jane7166

« Reply #10243 on: January 04, 2013, 11:44:31 AM »
I used to take Baby DD and the dog up to my parents for a visit and DH would call that a "vacation."  I asked him, in what universe is that a vacation?  Yes, the grandparents helped some with the baby but not with the dog and there was all the packing up and unpacking associated with a baby, as well as having to be "on" for the grandparents and other relatives who came to see The Baby. 

HE was the one at home with no responsibilities after work.  HE was the one on "vacation."

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10244 on: January 04, 2013, 12:28:08 PM »

If they will fit, put your hands through the pant legs from the bottom up.  Grab the baby's ankles and pull both legs through the pant legs at once.

Totally this. The twins are 13 months old, and getting pants on them can be an exercise in futility some days. Not to mention, in order to have the correct length of pant, the waist is often too big, so they end up crawling out of them!
Overalls. 

In my grandmother's day, they kept infants in dresses, no matter which sex they were.  No pant legs for the baby to pull out of or crawl out of.  Granny said that she would put the kitchen table legs on top of the tail of their little dresses so they couldn't crawl away.  (They couldn't afford a playpen.)

Also, diaper changes are apparently torture to them-don't they know we'd be done a whole lot faster if they didn't scream, try and roll over, or sit up, or stand? And they're also at the point where they just love to put their hands in the dirty diaper, so it's ever so much fun to try and keep the mess contained, their hands away, clean them up, and keep them from crawling away! All while they scream their heads off. I'm fortunate that my husband DOES understand that I spend all day with them, and so if I say I need time away to decompress, he takes over and tells me to have fun. :)
That's why I changed mine sitting on the floor.  I could rest my feet on their little arms to hold them down and keep their hands out of the diaper contents.  Plus they couldn't fall off the changing surface and hurt themselves if they DID manage to wiggle away.
into books first.