A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

What little things drive you completely up the wall....?

<< < (2049/3136) > >>

Elfmama:
When people want to chat on the phone, period.  I'm not a chatty person.  The phone is for delivering messages, not a long heart-to-heart discussion. Just get to the point already and let me get back to what I was doing!

stkatie00:

--- Quote from: Piratelvr1121 on January 04, 2013, 09:50:38 AM ---When I'm putting pants on the baby.  Usually put them on when he's laying down or at least get the little legs in, then stand him up to pull them over his bum.  What does he do? Pulls his legs out of the pants.  I  put them back on one by one. 

Put the second leg in, he pulls out the first. Put it back in, he pulls out the other.  Like putting pants on an octopus, I swear.

--- End quote ---

Totally this. The twins are 13 months old, and getting pants on them can be an exercise in futility some days. Not to mention, in order to have the correct length of pant, the waist is often too big, so they end up crawling out of them!

Also, diaper changes are apparently torture to them-don't they know we'd be done a whole lot faster if they didn't scream, try and roll over, or sit up, or stand? And they're also at the point where they just love to put their hands in the dirty diaper, so it's ever so much fun to try and keep the mess contained, their hands away, clean them up, and keep them from crawling away! All while they scream their heads off. I'm fortunate that my husband DOES understand that I spend all day with them, and so if I say I need time away to decompress, he takes over and tells me to have fun. :)

ladyknight1:

--- Quote from: atirial on January 04, 2013, 10:49:02 AM ---My current real peeve? People who don't understand that "Working from home" does not mean available for long telephone chats, meeting up at their convenience, running errands for them etc. I've just cut short yet another conversation with a relative who phoned for "just a chat" right in the middle of my work day, and I know I'll catch it in the neck from them later on. They don't do this when I'm in an office, but apparently because I'm working from home my deadlines aren't real.

Am I seriously going to have to go back to turning the phone off?

--- End quote ---

I recommend screening your calls, or having time set aside to receive calls and leaving the ringer off during your work time. My MIL loves to call when she knows I have taken a day off from my office job, which is usually intended for various appointments, baking and decorating a cake order, studying, or when I am ill.

If you use a mobile phone, there is an awesome app called Semi-Silent that allows you to keep your phone on silent, but "white list" certain numbers to come through.

jane7166:
I used to take Baby DD and the dog up to my parents for a visit and DH would call that a "vacation."  I asked him, in what universe is that a vacation?  Yes, the grandparents helped some with the baby but not with the dog and there was all the packing up and unpacking associated with a baby, as well as having to be "on" for the grandparents and other relatives who came to see The Baby. 

HE was the one at home with no responsibilities after work.  HE was the one on "vacation."

Elfmama:

--- Quote from: Piratelvr1121 on January 04, 2013, 09:50:38 AM ---When I'm putting pants on the baby.  Usually put them on when he's laying down or at least get the little legs in, then stand him up to pull them over his bum.  What does he do? Pulls his legs out of the pants.  I  put them back on one by one. 

Put the second leg in, he pulls out the first. Put it back in, he pulls out the other.  Like putting pants on an octopus, I swear.

--- End quote ---
If they will fit, put your hands through the pant legs from the bottom up.  Grab the baby's ankles and pull both legs through the pant legs at once.

--- Quote from: stkatie00 on January 04, 2013, 11:17:04 AM ---Totally this. The twins are 13 months old, and getting pants on them can be an exercise in futility some days. Not to mention, in order to have the correct length of pant, the waist is often too big, so they end up crawling out of them!
--- End quote ---
Overalls. 

In my grandmother's day, they kept infants in dresses, no matter which sex they were.  No pant legs for the baby to pull out of or crawl out of.  Granny said that she would put the kitchen table legs on top of the tail of their little dresses so they couldn't crawl away.  (They couldn't afford a playpen.)

--- Quote ---Also, diaper changes are apparently torture to them-don't they know we'd be done a whole lot faster if they didn't scream, try and roll over, or sit up, or stand? And they're also at the point where they just love to put their hands in the dirty diaper, so it's ever so much fun to try and keep the mess contained, their hands away, clean them up, and keep them from crawling away! All while they scream their heads off. I'm fortunate that my husband DOES understand that I spend all day with them, and so if I say I need time away to decompress, he takes over and tells me to have fun. :)

--- End quote ---
That's why I changed mine sitting on the floor.  I could rest my feet on their little arms to hold them down and keep their hands out of the diaper contents.  Plus they couldn't fall off the changing surface and hurt themselves if they DID manage to wiggle away.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version