News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 22, 2018, 08:56:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 5494968 times)

diesel_darlin

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #10485 on: January 23, 2013, 10:07:20 PM »
The trouble is, if I am not angry but someone says "don't be angry", that in itself makes me angry!  Then I can't win, because as far as they are concerned they are right.

YES! This drives me insane. "chill out" applies as well.

"Now, don't get mad, but..." was one of Mom's *favorite* buttons.

This falls along the lines of "Im not trying to be mean, but.... OR No offense......but......."

Thanks for reminding me of more things that drive me bonkers!  ;D ;D

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #10486 on: January 23, 2013, 11:10:31 PM »
The trouble is, if I am not angry but someone says "don't be angry", that in itself makes me angry!  Then I can't win, because as far as they are concerned they are right.

"Now, don't get mad, but..." was one of Mom's *favorite* buttons.

This falls along the lines of "Im not trying to be mean, but.... OR No offense......but......."

Thanks for reminding me of more things that drive me bonkers!  ;D ;D

She also liked, whenever I'd play with the cat "don't hurt her!", despite the fact I NEVER hurt an animal in my entire lifetime.

diesel_darlin

« Reply #10487 on: January 23, 2013, 11:13:26 PM »
She wouldnt enjoy watching me play with my cat. I swear sometimes I think my cat is a masochist.

Thipu1

« Reply #10488 on: January 24, 2013, 10:29:49 AM »

'You must be angry about this'.
'  I'm not angry' (said calmly and in all honesty)
'Oh, no.  I know you're angry'
'I am not angry!'
'Of course you are'.
(on and on it goes until...)
'&$@?&!  I am not angry!'
'See, I was right.  You're VERY angry'.

Allyson

« Reply #10489 on: January 24, 2013, 10:38:24 AM »
Whenever my brother and I disagreed about anything, we'd hear 'Stop fighting!' Even if it was something like what movie we liked better. This was really frustrating, it felt like we couldn't have any discussion at all.

Also when I debate about certain topics, I find I need to make myself sound *extra* calm or some people will accuse me of getting too emotional/angry (it's almost always gender issues, too, go figure). I think some people are just expecting a certain response.

Though in the case of my friend who says everyone has 'yelled' at her, she tends to see every story through a lens of 'so and so was mean to me!' Which is it's own thing.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #10490 on: January 24, 2013, 10:40:42 AM »

'I am not angry!'
'Of course you are'.

That's exactly it!  A friend of mine is a therapist and offers anger management.  He says some of the worst things you can say to someone you suspect is irritated are things like "don't be angry", "chill out", "calm down".  "Calm down" in particular makes me go off like a rocket.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #10491 on: January 24, 2013, 11:10:05 AM »
Static electricity!  Now that the cold weather has set in, every single time I get out of my car, I get shocked when I touch the car door.  Every time!

Irritating!

Oh, I'm right there with you.  I'm waging a losing battle with static electricity.  Every time I moved yesterday, my hair stuck out.  And my earbuds keep shocking me if I cuddle up in a blanket.  And my poor skin is a mess, even with lotion.

snowflake

« Reply #10492 on: January 24, 2013, 11:13:10 AM »

'I am not angry!'
'Of course you are'.

I HATE this.  I've learned some lessons the hard way in life and I will definitely say that I'm not angry about them anymore, but I also don't want to experience them again.  So whenever I hold boundaries, some people will tell me to "get over it" or "let go of the anger."  Oh, yeah.  Because if I don't bend over backwards for them without a single thought for myself and my family I MUST be doing it out of petty, seething, spite. 

Normally my reaction is to say, "Oh freakin' grow up!" which will make THEM mad and we go into a downward spiral from there.

turtleIScream

« Reply #10493 on: January 24, 2013, 12:00:28 PM »
I cannot find the water filter for our fridge anywhere! I saw it a month ago when I was rearranging the kitchen cabinets and made a mental note of where it was stored. The change filter light came on last night, and we've looked everywhere with no luck!

Arghh! Just had a lightbulb moment, opened the closet and found... the humidifier filters.
Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not. - Uncle Iroh

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #10494 on: January 24, 2013, 02:09:46 PM »
The fact that I seem to have a Klingon cloaking device secreted somewhere about my person, and I cannot find it to switch it off!

I have a big, red 4x4.  Like the one in the link, only red.

http://www.landrover.com/imagery/global/nameplate/photos_and_video/exterior/defender/2597688/05-L316_12_INDUS_90SW-850x425

It has a massive bullbar on it, spotlights, it is like a small block of flats.  When I stand next to it my head comes up around where the side mirrors are, and I had steps installed so I can get into it. 

But apparently it is invisible in traffic.  I constantly get cut off, turned in front of, etc.  The thin end the other day was the pedestrian who didn't see me - he waited till the teeny little white car in front of me (which my car towered over) went past, then stepped out in front of me.  Then he looked again, apparently the cloaking device momentarily disengaged, he saw me this time, and jumped backwards onto the curb. 

It also works when I'm on my bike, which is almost fluorescent orange.  On the bike though, I sort of assume I'm invisible anyway, so no big deal.  I am quite good at avoiding the blind drivers around me.

But it also works as a pedestrian.  Don't ask me how this works, but it does.  Crossing the street - someone coming the opposite direction will apparently see me, make eye contact, and then veer directly into my path so I have to dodge them.  It drives me bonkers!

Out on the patio we'd sit,
And the humidity we'd breathe,
We'd watch the lightning crack over canefields
Laugh and think, this is Australia.

Ganggajang - Sounds Of Then (This Is Australia)

mmswm

« Reply #10495 on: January 24, 2013, 02:53:55 PM »
The fact that I seem to have a Klingon cloaking device secreted somewhere about my person, and I cannot find it to switch it off!

I have a big, red 4x4.  Like the one in the link, only red.

http://www.landrover.com/imagery/global/nameplate/photos_and_video/exterior/defender/2597688/05-L316_12_INDUS_90SW-850x425

It has a massive bullbar on it, spotlights, it is like a small block of flats.  When I stand next to it my head comes up around where the side mirrors are, and I had steps installed so I can get into it. 

But apparently it is invisible in traffic.  I constantly get cut off, turned in front of, etc.  The thin end the other day was the pedestrian who didn't see me - he waited till the teeny little white car in front of me (which my car towered over) went past, then stepped out in front of me.  Then he looked again, apparently the cloaking device momentarily disengaged, he saw me this time, and jumped backwards onto the curb. 

It also works when I'm on my bike, which is almost fluorescent orange.  On the bike though, I sort of assume I'm invisible anyway, so no big deal.  I am quite good at avoiding the blind drivers around me.

But it also works as a pedestrian.  Don't ask me how this works, but it does.  Crossing the street - someone coming the opposite direction will apparently see me, make eye contact, and then veer directly into my path so I have to dodge them.  It drives me bonkers!

In my house we would say that you have an "idiot magnet" installed somewhere in your vehicle.  Apparently my mother carries hers with her, because I can get along just fine in traffic when she's not with me, but for whatever reason, every time I have her in my car, I attract every moron south of the Mason-Dixon line.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

siamesecat2965

« Reply #10496 on: January 24, 2013, 02:56:34 PM »
People who always tell me "put your coat on" and "you'll catch cold" etc. I am always warm. I sleep year round in summer pjs, and sleep with the window open (except in summer when the a/c is cranked to meat locker temp).  SOmetimes I get chilly, but I generally run hot.

I hate being warm, and hate carrying a coat, etc. if I'm out and about. So I'll wear one, but 9 times out of 10, leave it in the car. Or wear a light jacket when most people are freezing and wearing heavy coats.

I am a 47 year old woman, NOT a child, and I do not need to be reminded to put on my coat, hat or gloves, thank you very much!  And please stop telling me I'm nuts for doing all the things I do. Its my body, so I think i'm pretty qualified to know what to do with it!

We are currently experiencing temps in single digits.  Last night, I had to run out at work a couple of times, since I stupidly left my lights on, to make sure my car woudl still start. 1. it was warm in the store and I was actually sweating. 2. I ran out for all of 30 seconds, and it felt GOOD. yet I had both co-workers and customers yell at me for doing that and not putting my coat on.

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #10497 on: January 24, 2013, 03:12:47 PM »
People who always tell me "put your coat on" and "you'll catch cold" etc. I am always warm. I sleep year round in summer pjs, and sleep with the window open (except in summer when the a/c is cranked to meat locker temp).  SOmetimes I get chilly, but I generally run hot.

I hate being warm, and hate carrying a coat, etc. if I'm out and about. So I'll wear one, but 9 times out of 10, leave it in the car. Or wear a light jacket when most people are freezing and wearing heavy coats.

I am a 47 year old woman, NOT a child, and I do not need to be reminded to put on my coat, hat or gloves, thank you very much!  And please stop telling me I'm nuts for doing all the things I do. Its my body, so I think i'm pretty qualified to know what to do with it!

We are currently experiencing temps in single digits.  Last night, I had to run out at work a couple of times, since I stupidly left my lights on, to make sure my car woudl still start. 1. it was warm in the store and I was actually sweating. 2. I ran out for all of 30 seconds, and it felt GOOD. yet I had both co-workers and customers yell at me for doing that and not putting my coat on.

I'm the same way. I'm fine in a light fleece jacket unless it's below freezing. If I am only going to be outside for 30 seconds between my car and whatever building I'm entering, I usually leave my jacket in the car. I'll burn up if I'm wearing my jacket inside where it's room temperature, so it seems pointless to keep taking it on and off and hauling it around everywhere when I'm not even bothered by 30 seconds in the cold. I don't know why people (i.e. my mom) insist on giving me a hard time about it; it's not like I'm going to get frostbite in those 30 seconds with no coat when it's 45F.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

ScubaGirl

« Reply #10498 on: January 24, 2013, 03:15:34 PM »

Sis! 

The funny thing is, the person who tells me this the most is my father.  My father who lived with my mother and should understand about people who are always hot.  If you visited them in the winter you would find my mom wearing shorts and short sleeves and my father would have on socks, slipper socks, long pants, flannel shirt, and fleece vest.  :)  My mother did not own a sweater and her coat was what most people would only wear in the fall.

My husband says sleeping next to me is like sleeping next to a heater.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 03:44:47 PM by ScubaGirl »

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #10499 on: January 24, 2013, 03:44:01 PM »
Put me down as another who sleeps with the window open, under a thin sheet, in shorts and a t-shirt, when it's 30F outside.