Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1687760 times)

Luci

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #10605 on: January 27, 2013, 03:49:12 PM »
Cans of broth that don't match amounts called for in recipies. Case in point. Today I'm making chickpea soup. it calls for 4 cups of veggie broth. which is sold in 14.5 ounce cans. so you need 2 plus a teeny bit of a third. and as i don't use it much, i usually stick it in the freezer and forget about it. so today i just made up the small difference with water.

A couple of ounces doesn't make that much difference, so your water solution was just fine. It's the herbs and spices that you have to be careful with, and even then I fudge - less salt, more cumin, for example. And of course I never complain that a recipe didn't taste like yours. (There are a couple of threads on that, too.)

It is only in baking that we have to be that precise, and even then I don't worry about an ounce or two of sweetened condensed milk or evaporated milk. My candies come out just fine. I'd never do it with flour and sugar and levening, but otherwise there is nothing to worry about. For instance, I add extra chips and peanuts to chocolate chip cookies usually, and a little extre vanilla extract (the real stuff) and it's OK.

AllyKat

• AllyKat's Alcove
« Reply #10606 on: January 27, 2013, 05:11:18 PM »
I know it shouldn't bother me, but I guess that's what this thread is about. At my aquasize class there are two girls who talk through the whole thing and don't follow the instructor. Today they spent the entire class just marching. They didn't do the muscle specific exercises and only barely travelled when we were supposed to. I just don't understand why they're there if they aren't going to follow with the rest of the class! If you want to march in place for an hour, go to the other side of the pool and let the rest of us do the actual class!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10607 on: January 27, 2013, 07:01:25 PM »
Cans of broth that don't match amounts called for in recipies. Case in point. Today I'm making chickpea soup. it calls for 4 cups of veggie broth. which is sold in 14.5 ounce cans. so you need 2 plus a teeny bit of a third. and as i don't use it much, i usually stick it in the freezer and forget about it. so today i just made up the small difference with water.

A couple of ounces doesn't make that much difference, so your water solution was just fine. It's the herbs and spices that you have to be careful with, and even then I fudge - less salt, more cumin, for example. And of course I never complain that a recipe didn't taste like yours. (There are a couple of threads on that, too.)

It is only in baking that we have to be that precise, and even then I don't worry about an ounce or two of sweetened condensed milk or evaporated milk. My candies come out just fine. I'd never do it with flour and sugar and levening, but otherwise there is nothing to worry about. For instance, I add extra chips and peanuts to chocolate chip cookies usually, and a little extre vanilla extract (the real stuff) and it's OK.

Oh i know, and the soup was yummy, but its just annoying. like a package of hotdogs that come 6 to a package, but rolls are 8. stuff like that.

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #10608 on: January 27, 2013, 07:04:54 PM »
You can freeze most extras. I just pour it into a Ziploc bag and save it for later. I have a recipe for roasted potatoes that uses a miniscule amount of broth ("enough to cover the bottom of the pan"), so that extra bit saved keeps me from having to open a whole new can :)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10609 on: January 27, 2013, 07:34:23 PM »
And another food one; products that advertise they contain certain things, but have little to none of that actual ingredient.  Tonight i was lazy, so i decided to make this frozen  skillet pasta, which says it contains "pasta and white meat chicken with aspargus in a creamy tomato vodka sauce" the asparagus in question is maybe 5 teeny pieces of stem, not the top part. good thing i didn't buy it based on that alone!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10610 on: January 27, 2013, 07:35:04 PM »
You can freeze most extras. I just pour it into a Ziploc bag and save it for later. I have a recipe for roasted potatoes that uses a miniscule amount of broth ("enough to cover the bottom of the pan"), so that extra bit saved keeps me from having to open a whole new can :)

I've done that, and as I don't use it all that often, I forget its there!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10611 on: January 28, 2013, 08:43:26 AM »
As my screen name would imply, I love the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.  Except for the second one, Dead Man's Chest because of what happens to Jack at the end, being eaten by the Kraken and taken to Davy Jones's Locker.

I don't talk about it all that much but there have been a few times people have said "Oh DMC is my favorite of the movies, it's great, don't you think?" I tend to say "Well honestly it's not my favorite because of what happens to Jack, though I do love the scene with Jack running away from the cannibals."

At this people say "Well he comes back in the third movie so it's silly to get upset about it!"  ::) It's not like I bawl over it like I do in Les Miserables or Steel Magnolias, I just don't like watching it.

The other reason is that there is a scene in which Will Turner's father is forced with the choice of either whipping his son himself or letting the bo'sun do it, and thus allowing his son to get injured even worse.  I cannot watch whipping scenes, they bother me too much.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

TexasRanger

• Bondye Bon
« Reply #10612 on: January 28, 2013, 09:29:50 AM »
When someone on a forum dedicated to a particle topic (cars, hiking, dogs,etc) tells someone with an honest question to "Google it" >:(

Bourik swe pou chwal dekore ak dentel

#1aunt

« Reply #10613 on: January 28, 2013, 09:47:03 AM »
I found a recipe for homemade Irish cream that calls for 4oz of sweetened condensed milk.  It comes in about 14 oz cans. Um, what am I to do with the rest?  ::)

triple-and-a-half the recipe and share with friends!

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #10614 on: January 28, 2013, 09:57:19 AM »
People who join a forum without understanding its focus and then complain that they are ignored.

I belong to a jewelry and gems forum (I call it market research :D). It is focused on fine jewelry and gems. I would say that the least expensive rings shared there are around $250 and some of the people looking for engagement rings have budgets of over $20,000 (eekk!). Even on the lower end, the posters are looking for great craftsmanship and good valued stones (perhaps not the finest but a good balance of quality and price). Some posters have a lot of disposable income and spend a good chunk on gems each year. Others don't have much but save, plan and research to get one good piece, perhaps. Being on a budget is not a problem at all (posters are very good at telling someone their budget is unrealistic and pointing them to more affordable alternatives).

Last month, a new member joined. Her main interest is sharing string and bead macrame rings she made. They aren't ugly or badly made, but very out of place. I know a lot of craft forums that would love her work and would rave about it. It is almost like someone went to an elegant beach wedding wearing a Hawaiian shirt and flip-flops.

To top it off, there is no PM function there, so no one wants to say something publicly.

Shalamar

« Reply #10615 on: January 28, 2013, 01:22:08 PM »
When someone on a forum dedicated to a particle topic (cars, hiking, dogs,etc) tells someone with an honest question to "Google it"

I work in I.T., and every so often I have a work problem that leaves me stumped, so I Google it to see if there are any websites with the answer.  9 times out of 10, I'll find a forum in whcih someone had a similar problem to mine, and the "answer" is "Are you a moron?  Why don't you know how to do that?  That's Programming 101!"  Stop being so rude and just answer the ever-lovin' question!

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #10616 on: January 28, 2013, 01:31:04 PM »
When someone on a forum dedicated to a particle topic (cars, hiking, dogs,etc) tells someone with an honest question to "Google it"

I work in I.T., and every so often I have a work problem that leaves me stumped, so I Google it to see if there are any websites with the answer.  9 times out of 10, I'll find a forum in whcih someone had a similar problem to mine, and the "answer" is "Are you a moron?  Why don't you know how to do that?  That's Programming 101!"  Stop being so rude and just answer the ever-lovin' question!

Many years ago, I got into it with a guy on a forum (Usenet, probably) for giving that kind of response to a newbie. Got blasted for my troubles. I think that's where my utter contempt for anyone who describes themselves as a "guru" in their signature line comes from. Dude -- gurus teach other people.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10617 on: January 28, 2013, 01:36:30 PM »
Not etiquette hell approved but I'd be so tempted to say to those sorts "Why can't you tell me? Unless you don't know yourself and are hiding behind your arrogance."
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

mmswm

« Reply #10618 on: January 28, 2013, 02:58:24 PM »
Background:  My youngest son was born 16 weeks early and has neuro-sensory issues.  He is easily overwhelmed and can shut down quite quickly. He also has a genetic bone disease, and one of the issues he's had is a large tumor in the wrist of his dominant hand that has made it extremely difficult to write.  I have made accommodations for his disabilities, to allow him to do the work required and learn what he needs to do, but he still must do the required assignments.  Most of the time that means he has to work harder, or things will take longer, or that we need to take frequent breaks, but the work must still be done.

So, I've moved back in with my parents.  The schools here are awful.  There was no question that I would be homeschooling my kids.  My parents also homeschool my youngest two siblings.  Both of those two kids also have issues.  Little bro has Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and lil sis has issues from physical, sexual and emotional abuse suffered in the first 4.5 years of her life before my parents got custody of her.  Both children were foster children first, then adopted. 

My mother tells me that I have to take over all math and science education for all the kids.  Fair enough.  They're letting me live here rent free and paying some of my expenses.  It's the least I can do.  Now, I've been a teacher and worked in a very, very poor area.  A "normal" student would have been the exception.  I'm quite good at teaching math and getting through to students with issues.  Again, sometimes it takes more work, or a different approach, but the work still has to get done.  End Background.

What's driving me up a wall is every time things get "tough" my siblings revolt and my mother makes excuses for them.  "Oh, he has FAS", or "She has Reactive Attachment Disorder", and "That's just how they are".  Um, no.  They've been taught that they can throw a tantrum and not have to work.  For example: today I just wanted to see what they knew of their multiplication tables.  I printed out a worksheet and asked them to "do whatever problems they could and leave the rest blank."  My 10 year old and my sister do so happily.  Lil bro lays of the floor kicking and flailing that "he can't do this."  Now, since some of the problems were the 1's and 0's, and I know for a fact he knows how to do those, I didn't buy it.  My mother intervened before I had a chance to do so.  In the end, he got out of the assignment. I've dealt with kids like this before and have several tricks up my sleeve that would likely have helped, but I never got the chance.  Ugh.  How does making excuses for him help him?  A similar incident happened with lil sis and a writing assignment yesterday.  *sigh*
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #10619 on: January 28, 2013, 03:07:30 PM »
Background:  My youngest son was born 16 weeks early and has neuro-sensory issues.  He is easily overwhelmed and can shut down quite quickly. He also has a genetic bone disease, and one of the issues he's had is a large tumor in the wrist of his dominant hand that has made it extremely difficult to write.  I have made accommodations for his disabilities, to allow him to do the work required and learn what he needs to do, but he still must do the required assignments.  Most of the time that means he has to work harder, or things will take longer, or that we need to take frequent breaks, but the work must still be done.

So, I've moved back in with my parents.  The schools here are awful.  There was no question that I would be homeschooling my kids.  My parents also homeschool my youngest two siblings.  Both of those two kids also have issues.  Little bro has Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and lil sis has issues from physical, sexual and emotional abuse suffered in the first 4.5 years of her life before my parents got custody of her.  Both children were foster children first, then adopted. 

My mother tells me that I have to take over all math and science education for all the kids.  Fair enough.  They're letting me live here rent free and paying some of my expenses.  It's the least I can do.  Now, I've been a teacher and worked in a very, very poor area.  A "normal" student would have been the exception.  I'm quite good at teaching math and getting through to students with issues.  Again, sometimes it takes more work, or a different approach, but the work still has to get done.  End Background.

What's driving me up a wall is every time things get "tough" my siblings revolt and my mother makes excuses for them.  "Oh, he has FAS", or "She has Reactive Attachment Disorder", and "That's just how they are".  Um, no.  They've been taught that they can throw a tantrum and not have to work.  For example: today I just wanted to see what they knew of their multiplication tables.  I printed out a worksheet and asked them to "do whatever problems they could and leave the rest blank."  My 10 year old and my sister do so happily.  Lil bro lays of the floor kicking and flailing that "he can't do this."  Now, since some of the problems were the 1's and 0's, and I know for a fact he knows how to do those, I didn't buy it.  My mother intervened before I had a chance to do so.  In the end, he got out of the assignment. I've dealt with kids like this before and have several tricks up my sleeve that would likely have helped, but I never got the chance.  Ugh.  How does making excuses for him help him?  A similar incident happened with lil sis and a writing assignment yesterday.  *sigh*
I know you're venting and not asking for advice but if I may: I would put on my "teacher's hat" and have a parent-teacher conference (sans kids) with your mom.  I can imagine it's not easy when the parent is also your parent, but I'm sure she wants her kids to do as well as possible with their issues.