Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1682771 times)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #10665 on: February 01, 2013, 10:17:46 AM »
Perhaps being on ehell for a while has made me think like this, but when people ask for advice from experts, sometimes I just want to scream ďno is a complete sentence!!!!Ē Todayís Dear Abby is a perfect example.  A woman writes that she and her DH live about 1000 miles from family. She asked when family comes to visit, should they feel obligated to lend them one of their cars to get around. She also said money isnít an issue. She goes on to say that sometimes they are on the other side of the state, leaving she and her DH to share a car. And that when she and her DH visit, they ONLY drive the relatives car within the city, and when its convenient for them.  She also asked about the liability of having someone else drive the car if they have an accident. I so want to direct some of these folks to ehell for assistance with polishing their spines!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 10:44:12 AM by siamesecat2965 »

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #10666 on: February 01, 2013, 10:27:38 AM »
Seeing a dollar amount written thus: "$5 dollars."

The dollar sign at the front means you don't HAVE to write "dollars" at the end.

True, except that since the $ is also used in other countries it should be followed by "US", "AU", "CA", or "MX" (it's also used for the peso).

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #10667 on: February 01, 2013, 10:30:08 AM »

The dollar sign at the front means you don't HAVE to write "dollars" at the end.

True, except that since the $ is also used in other countries it should be followed by "US", "AU", "CA", or "MX" (it's also used for the peso).

Online, in news articles or international stores, yes.  If I go to my local Aldi in the middle of Illinois, I think it's a given that the prices will be in USD.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #10668 on: February 01, 2013, 10:41:43 AM »

Yup, that or things like "£3.79p".  It's either £3.79 or 379p, not both!

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #10669 on: February 01, 2013, 10:50:19 AM »

I think itís technically supposed to be USD$5.00, CAN$5.00, etc.

On the money trendÖ My SO has a habit of always rounding down. So, something that is $4.99 is $4 when he says something about it, not $5. Or, a $599 TV is "only $500 dollars!" I donít care if heís just recounting what he spent on something with his own money, but it is an issue when I need to know the exact cost when dealing with our joint finances, which I mostly handle.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10670 on: February 01, 2013, 11:06:51 AM »
I just ran across "it cost a 100 dollars."

Read that out loud. A one hundred? You need the a, or you need the one - you don't need both.
Words mean things.

mmswm

« Reply #10671 on: February 01, 2013, 11:10:38 AM »
Speaking of different currencies....

When I lived in North Dakota, I'd frequently make day or weekend trips to Winnipeg, MB. You'd think with the frequency I made these trips, my bank would have figured out that my card getting used there wasn't fraud.  Winnipeg was close than Minneapolis, and my card never got flagged for fraud in Minneapolis, but the few times I forgot to call my bank and let them know I was going to be in Winnipeg, it always go flagged and turned off. 
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10672 on: February 01, 2013, 11:12:32 AM »
I just ran across "it cost a 100 dollars."

Read that out loud. A one hundred? You need the a, or you need the one - you don't need both.

Along the same lines, it drives me nuts when I hear people talk about 'ISBN numbers', 'PIN numbers', and 'ATM machines'.  The 'N' in the first two stands for 'number' and the 'M' in the last stands for 'machine'. 

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #10673 on: February 01, 2013, 11:14:52 AM »
At work.

it annoys the pants off me when someone puts only HALF the ream of paper into the printer and leaves the other half out on the counter, taking up space, its flaps sticking up and looking messy and getting caught on sleeves as people walk by...

and then someone else has to finish up the task, which means, actually 2 more steps than it would have taken if the first person had finished the job!!

It's particularly annoying because it happens EVERYWHERE, and it's an accurate metaphor for alot of the things that are going wrong at my workplace.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10674 on: February 01, 2013, 11:16:44 AM »
At work.

it annoys the pants off me when someone puts only HALF the ream of paper into the printer and leaves the other half out on the counter, taking up space, its flaps sticking up and looking messy and getting caught on sleeves as people walk by...

and then someone else has to finish up the task, which means, actually 2 more steps than it would have taken if the first person had finished the job!!

It's particularly annoying because it happens EVERYWHERE, and it's an accurate metaphor for alot of the things that are going wrong at my workplace.

Which reminds me of the old copier we had here last year, where you couldn't put the whole ream in. Seriously, the machine had a capacity of about 2/3 of a ream. So. Annoying.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10675 on: February 01, 2013, 11:37:31 AM »
At work.

Which reminds me of the old copier we had here last year, where you couldn't put the whole ream in. Seriously, the machine had a capacity of about 2/3 of a ream. So. Annoying.

My pet peeve about this has to do with my first boss. Where I sat, I was right next to the printer for my entire dept. And in an ajoining room, was the copier, where the paper was kept.  My boss also had this idea that certain things were beneath her. Now, if I was using the printer myself, and noticed it needed paper, I'd put some in. Howevr, I was in no way "in charge" of making sure it had paper all the time, nor was I in charge of bringing paper from the copy room and putting it in the drawer of the credenza where the printer sat.  It was up to everyone to add it when needed.

My boss comes in one day, and comments the printer is out of paper, and looked at me.  I very calmly said "there should be some in the drawer beow"  She then comments there isn't any in the drawer. Again, I politely said "there should be plenty in the copy room"  She then very reluctantly walked the 10 feet to the copy room, and got some paper for the printer.  But I think I got my point across that I was not the keeper of all things printer-related!

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #10676 on: February 01, 2013, 12:08:48 PM »

I think itís technically supposed to be USD$5.00, CAN$5.00, etc.

On the money trendÖ My SO has a habit of always rounding down. So, something that is $4.99 is $4 when he says something about it, not $5. Or, a $599 TV is "only $500 dollars!" I donít care if heís just recounting what he spent on something with his own money, but it is an issue when I need to know the exact cost when dealing with our joint finances, which I mostly handle.

I round up for expenses, and down for credits (but usually to the closest $5).  Precise?  No, but it leaves me with extra spending money at the end of the month. :D

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #10677 on: February 01, 2013, 12:26:41 PM »
At work.

We get that too and it makes me just as nuts.  Our copy machine can hold 3 reams at once.  Just put the whole thing in!

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #10678 on: February 01, 2013, 12:40:21 PM »
At work.

We get that too and it makes me just as nuts.  Our copy machine can hold 3 reams at once.  Just put the whole thing in!

I wonder if people are doing that sort of automatically because that's what they do with the printer. I can fit a whole ream in the copier tray but only about half a ream in the laser printer tray.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

pwv

« Reply #10679 on: February 02, 2013, 05:03:56 AM »
when shopping in a department store, it is becoming more and more common to have to wander to several "customer service" desks before finding one that has an actual employee so I can pay for my purchases.