A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

What little things drive you completely up the wall....?

<< < (2138/3436) > >>

Adelaide:

--- Quote from: lilfox on February 02, 2013, 03:35:57 PM ---Adelaide, you'd hate this:  I treated myself to a packaged piece of coffee cake at work.  Now, it was a generous size but was one piece.  As i finished it off, I idly checked the calorie count:  400... Ouch, but okay, I'll do a harder workout later.  Except, that was per serving and this package contained TWO servings.  D'oh!

(I'm only slowly getting into the habit of checking calorie/sodium etc info before I eat something)

--- End quote ---

I do that too. Some stuff is so delicious you don't even notice sometimes!

Snooks:
People who won't leave messages.  I work 9-5 so I am not always available to answer my cell phone.  I have voicemail and my home phone has an answerphone.  My bank wrote me a letter to say they'd tried to reach me by phone, could I please telephone them.  They could have saved themselves the effort of writing and sending me a letter by just leaving a message on one of those handy services I have designed for such an occasion when I don't answer the phone and someone needs to relay information to me.  Gah.

mmswm:
I'm sure this has been mentioned somewhere in the last 713 pages, but why do some people feel the need to raise the volume of their voices by at least 40 decibels when they speak on the phone?  I'm sitting here, 3 rooms away from my mother, and I find her volume to be uncomfortably loud, even from this distance.  Have I mentioned before that I have substantially reduced hearing in one ear?  Yup, still way too loud.  I feel sorry for the person on the other end of the phone.

Amava:

--- Quote from: mmswm on February 03, 2013, 09:13:21 PM ---I'm sure this has been mentioned somewhere in the last 713 pages, but why do some people feel the need to raise the volume of their voices by at least 40 decibels when they speak on the phone?  I'm sitting here, 3 rooms away from my mother, and I find her volume to be uncomfortably loud, even from this distance.  Have I mentioned before that I have substantially reduced hearing in one ear?  Yup, still way too loud.  I feel sorry for the person on the other end of the phone.

--- End quote ---

Yes. It's like the old joke:
"Why is our boss yelling like that?"
"Oh, he's talking to someone who's in France."
"Then why doesn't he just use the phone?"

:P

BabylonSister:

--- Quote from: mmswm on February 03, 2013, 09:13:21 PM ---I'm sure this has been mentioned somewhere in the last 713 pages, but why do some people feel the need to raise the volume of their voices by at least 40 decibels when they speak on the phone?  I'm sitting here, 3 rooms away from my mother, and I find her volume to be uncomfortably loud, even from this distance.  Have I mentioned before that I have substantially reduced hearing in one ear?  Yup, still way too loud.  I feel sorry for the person on the other end of the phone.

--- End quote ---

They don't do it on purpose and I think most people are not even aware they're doing it.  When we hear people on the other side of the phone, the sound doesn't come out as well as if they were in front of us, so we automatically raise our voices. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version