Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1556683 times)

mmswm

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #10815 on: February 08, 2013, 05:04:31 PM »
I got a phone message earlier in the day from a banker at the bank I bank at (could that be any more repetitive? LOL.) She left a message saying to call her back. Nothing about what it was regarding. I know she can't probably say a ton of stuff, but at least a message about what account it refers to or something! And I've tried to call her back three times now with no answer. Ugh.

Unfortunately, due to privacy laws, she really can't even admit that she's calling about one of your actual accounts, since that could potentially disclose information to somebody that's not you (the information, of course, being that you actually use that bank).  It stinks, but there's so many constraints on the release of information that banks are really hogtied when trying to leave messages other than "This is Sue calling from <bank>.  Please call me back at <number>." 
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #10816 on: February 08, 2013, 05:41:52 PM »
I got a phone message earlier in the day from a banker at the bank I bank at (could that be any more repetitive? LOL.) She left a message saying to call her back. Nothing about what it was regarding. I know she can't probably say a ton of stuff, but at least a message about what account it refers to or something! And I've tried to call her back three times now with no answer. Ugh.

Unfortunately, due to privacy laws, she really can't even admit that she's calling about one of your actual accounts, since that could potentially disclose information to somebody that's not you (the information, of course, being that you actually use that bank).  It stinks, but there's so many constraints on the release of information that banks are really hogtied when trying to leave messages other than "This is Sue calling from <bank>.  Please call me back at <number>."

Really the biggest annoyance was that she called during the 5 minutes I was away at my desk heating my lunch, and I've tried calling her back now 5 times in a 4-5 hour span with no answer. Don't call generically about my account and then be unavailable when I try to call you back!! Argh.

magicdomino

« Reply #10817 on: February 08, 2013, 06:00:40 PM »
1. People who leave voice mail message like this:
"Hi, this is Jessica from XYZ pharmacy. We have a question about the prescription you dropped off. Please call us at 555-6mumblemumble3. Thanks!"

And of course, the number doesn't show up in my phone. This happens to me all the time.

2. People who won't leave a voice mail message and instead call repeatedly, then hang up when the recording comes on.

Or rattle off thenumberasquicklyaspossible.  I replay the message 3 or 4 times, and still aren't sure what the person said.

Adelaide

« Reply #10818 on: February 08, 2013, 08:03:17 PM »
I'm so sick of epic-length statuses popping up on my Facebook feed about how "I wuv my snuggle bunny" or "I have the best hubby/wifey in the whole wide world and everyone should be jealous" and what have you. I can't say I give two flying flicks about what you trained your husband to make you for dinner or how you're engaged to "the most beautiful princess ever" or what kind of day you're having and the excruciating details of how your significant other made it better. I don't care. No. One. Cares.

Yes, I could block these people but a) it typically happens once in a blue moon and b) if I'd blocked all of them by now I'd have no friends. My concerns really aren't even that "legitimate". Facebook is for what you want it to be for, I get it, but if I roll my eyes any more they're going to stick that way.

The absolute worst are the people who say "Oh don't worry, you'll find someone!" As if that's the problem. Even when I'm with someone I don't post that sort of inane poppycock all over Facebook, and typically the people who do are the ones who turn right around and post an entire song's worth of moody lyrics as soon as said "snuggle bunnies" and "princesses" break up with them.

This drives me nuts, too.  I have a relative who is getting married soon, and it seems every other day she goes on about how she "can't wait to be married!!!"  I'm happy for her, and I know she's excited, but I really don't want to hear it anymore.  Plus, and I realize this is my problem alone, I'm chronically single.  Even though I don't want to be with someone, the fact that I'm not, and they're going on about how happy they are, just feels like they're rubbing it in my face.  Who likes to be on the outside looking in?

I'm at the point where I think their heads are so far stuck in the sand that they're not rubbing it in anyone's face on purpose. (And to clarify, I'm talking about people who literally go on for a paragraph or two, not someone who's like "Yay, my husband brought me lunch!") I think they just don't realize how vapid and strange it sounds.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10819 on: February 08, 2013, 09:18:15 PM »

Couldn't they say "It's about your checking account ending in 45" or "your credit card ending in 1234" or whatever?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

mmswm

« Reply #10820 on: February 08, 2013, 09:32:07 PM »

Couldn't they say "It's about your checking account ending in 45" or "your credit card ending in 1234" or whatever?

No they can't because that would be disclosing/confirming the name of the bank the customer uses and at least one type of account that they have there.

I know it seems like a little thing, but fraudsters are very good at stringing together small bits of information from different sources in order to perpetuate their scam.  So lets say that the customer (we'll call her Sue) loses her cell phone.  The bank calls for whatever reason and says "Hi, I'm Jane from ABC bank calling about your accounts."  Now the fraudster knows the name of Sue's bank.  She also knows that Sue is going to realize she lost her phone pretty soon and she's going to take measures get the service to that handset shut off.  The fraudster makes a call to the bank, pretending to be Sue and tells them that she's lost her phone or moved or changed numbers and gives them a new number. The fraudster gets a fake ID in Sue's name and goes into the bank to cash a counterfeit cashier's check against Sue's account.  The fraudster has what looks like a legitimate ID, so the teller asks some token questions to confirm  that it's Sue, but since the fraudster has just changed all the personal information, she can answer that with ease. The fraudster cashes the check and goes on her merry way.  Within a few days, the check is determined to be fake and is charged back to Sue's account, and the account is probably closed by the financial crimes unit.  The first Sue hears of this is when her account gets closed, and now she has to fight with the bank to convince them that she's a victim and not the fraudster.

This is not as far fetched as it sounds.  I've seen that scenario repeated dozens of times in my work in deposit operations for a major bank.  I've also seen several other scams of this nature.  This is why banks are careful not to release even the slightest bit of information unless they're sure that the person they're talking to is the actual customer.  No system is fail-proof, of course, but being very careful about information disclosure is a great first step.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #10821 on: February 08, 2013, 09:42:28 PM »
Fried rice from the Chinese take-out isn't what it used to be.

When I was a kid, a teen, and a young adult (sometime back during the Roman Empire) fried rice always contained bean sprouts, scallion, and bits of scrambled egg as well as the animal protein of your choice.  Nowadays pork friend rice might have bean sprouts, but none of the other stuff.

When and why did this happen?

I know this is a few pages back but I had to respond. Where I'm currently living "fried rice" is white rice tossed with soy sauce. I weep!! Back home we lived about 15 minutes away from one of the best Chinese restaurants in the state and now... white rice and soy sauce. Definitely drives me up the wall!

suzieQ

« Reply #10822 on: February 08, 2013, 09:51:22 PM »
I have a Facebook friend who's pregnant for the first time.   She's a lovely girl, but she keeps posting things like "I'm going to be the coolest mom ever, and my daughter (she knows the baby is a girl) is going to think I am, too!"  I don't think I earned any points when I said "Don't be too hurt if that turns out to not be the case - I don't think there's a parent alive whose kid thinks he/she is cool.  Not once they're in their teen years, anyway."

Mine does tonight, because the breakfast menu for tomorrow is pizza and brownies!  8)

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #10823 on: February 08, 2013, 10:00:58 PM »
I have a Facebook friend who's pregnant for the first time.   She's a lovely girl, but she keeps posting things like "I'm going to be the coolest mom ever, and my daughter (she knows the baby is a girl) is going to think I am, too!"  I don't think I earned any points when I said "Don't be too hurt if that turns out to not be the case - I don't think there's a parent alive whose kid thinks he/she is cool.  Not once they're in their teen years, anyway."

I always thought my dad was cool. But my dad has lived an amazing life, and I was a very, very weird child.

diesel_darlin

« Reply #10824 on: February 08, 2013, 10:02:46 PM »

I always thought my dad was cool. But my dad has lived an amazing life, and I was a very, very weird child.

Same here.  :P

mmswm

« Reply #10825 on: February 08, 2013, 10:14:16 PM »

Mine does tonight, because the breakfast menu for tomorrow is pizza and brownies!  8)

I was the cool parent a few mornings ago when chocolate cake was part of the breakfast menu.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10826 on: February 08, 2013, 10:49:43 PM »

I was the cool parent a few mornings ago when chocolate cake was part of the breakfast menu.
Cake, muffins, what's the difference?

I was the cool grandma to my younger grandsons when I served French toast for supper the night they came here.  :D 
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #10827 on: February 09, 2013, 03:05:06 AM »
One day I got annoyed and defriended everyone who called their wife "wifey." I cannot stand that. I don't know if it's because it reminds me of some 1960s housewife or what, but it raises my hackles.

While out and about this afternoon, I saw a car with a personalized plate that said...WIFEY. I thought about your post when I saw it.  :D

(And for the record, I hate "wifey" too.)
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Amava

« Reply #10828 on: February 09, 2013, 03:19:50 AM »

Same here.  :P

Yeah and you know what it probably was about your dads that made you think they were cool? (Sorry in advance if I'm making an interesting assumption, just taking a wild guess.)

That they were not trying too hard to be cool, and that they didn't give a hoot whether you or anyone else thought they were cool or not.
Those are the coolest. :D

Now as for this facebook mom... what bothers me, is that the child is not even born yet and Mommy is already determining what the child will /think/. Ouch. Not cool to me...

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #10829 on: February 09, 2013, 08:13:55 AM »
I'm so sick of epic-length statuses popping up on my Facebook feed about how "I wuv my snuggle bunny" or "I have the best hubby/wifey in the whole wide world and everyone should be jealous" and what have you. I can't say I give two flying flicks about what you trained your husband to make you for dinner or how you're engaged to "the most beautiful princess ever" or what kind of day you're having and the excruciating details of how your significant other made it better. I don't care. No. One. Cares.

Yes, I could block these people but a) it typically happens once in a blue moon and b) if I'd blocked all of them by now I'd have no friends. My concerns really aren't even that "legitimate". Facebook is for what you want it to be for, I get it, but if I roll my eyes any more they're going to stick that way.

The absolute worst are the people who say "Oh don't worry, you'll find someone!" As if that's the problem. Even when I'm with someone I don't post that sort of inane poppycock all over Facebook, and typically the people who do are the ones who turn right around and post an entire song's worth of moody lyrics as soon as said "snuggle bunnies" and "princesses" break up with them.

This drives me nuts, too.  I have a relative who is getting married soon, and it seems every other day she goes on about how she "can't wait to be married!!!"  I'm happy for her, and I know she's excited, but I really don't want to hear it anymore.  Plus, and I realize this is my problem alone, I'm chronically single.  Even though I don't want to be with someone, the fact that I'm not, and they're going on about how happy they are, just feels like they're rubbing it in my face.  Who likes to be on the outside looking in?

I'm at the point where I think their heads are so far stuck in the sand that they're not rubbing it in anyone's face on purpose. (And to clarify, I'm talking about people who literally go on for a paragraph or two, not someone who's like "Yay, my husband brought me lunch!") I think they just don't realize how vapid and strange it sounds.

I think most of them are craving attention.  They don't have any stunning accomplishment in their lives to brag about, so they go for what they can: their totally awesome spouse and/or kids.