Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1296297 times)

Snooks

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #10905 on: February 13, 2013, 03:54:12 PM »
I'm driving myself up the wall at the moment, I want to eat all the time.  I've had dinner, I had a chocolate snack, I'm just about to have a cup of coffee and I could just eat a bit of cake, but I don't have any.  The really stupid thing is I've stopped doing my mile and a bit walk to work so I have no reason to want all this food.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #10906 on: February 13, 2013, 04:17:41 PM »
I call that a Hungry Day.  Some days, your stomach just cries out like a rebel yell, "more, more, more!"

Shalamar

« Reply #10907 on: February 13, 2013, 04:23:59 PM »
Someone told me once (whether they're correct or not, I'm not sure) that Hungry Days occur when your metabolism kicks it up a notch, and you're burning fuel more efficiently than usual.  "Therefore, eat the same amount you normally would, and you'll lose weight!"  Great, except that when I eat the same amount I normally would on days like that, my body is all "That was a good start.  Now let's get serious.  Where's the rest?"

Snooks

« Reply #10908 on: February 13, 2013, 04:24:56 PM »
Yes Shalamar - that's exactly what my body's saying!

It's been going on most of this week.  I'm fine at work but when I get home I suddenly decide I must eat all the things, even though we don't have anything in the house because I shop for what we need for the week.  I've just gone through my cookery books to decide what to bake this weekend so if I'm like this next week I'll have tasty munchies.  Which leads me onto something else which drives me up the wall - when recipes don't tell you if common allergens (like nuts and alcohol) can be left out or offer substitutions.  I've got a recipe for some butterscotch bars but the recipe calls for peanut butter, I'm guessing I can't just leave it out but I have no idea what to substitute in. 

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10909 on: February 13, 2013, 04:25:52 PM »
I tend to have my 'see food diet' days in the late fall, early winter.  I've taken to calling it stocking up for winter hibernation.   :)

This is going to sound kind of crazy but this is why I took up knitting and crocheting again.  If I have something in my hands and my lap full of a particular project, it helps keep me from getting up and raiding the fridge or cupboards.  A purring cat curled up in your lap works pretty well, too.   ;D
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Snooks

« Reply #10910 on: February 13, 2013, 04:29:52 PM »
Cat is currently sitting on the arm of the sofa, she's only interested in my lap when I'm dressed for work  ::)  I think I might just go to bed, there's no way I'm getting out from under the duvet to raid the cupboards!

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #10911 on: February 13, 2013, 05:19:40 PM »
2nd grade math.  Or, more specifically, 2nd grade mental math.  It's a wonderful thing (and I've actually started doing it myself) but would it kill them to add an example when the kids start something new?  You know, for the parents out there who learned to subtract by borrowing?  I do a lot of internet searches.

(I want to clarify that I am NOT doing DD's math. But I need to know that she's doing her homework correctly and I can't do that until I know what she's supposed to do.)

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #10912 on: February 13, 2013, 06:14:59 PM »
When the big kids wake the baby up. He was supposed to be sleeping for another hour or so, and I was planning to get dinner in the oven. Actually, the middle child was supposed to be asleep as well, not dropping toys on her brother.
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

blueyzca01

« Reply #10913 on: February 13, 2013, 06:35:22 PM »
I admit I was partly at fault here, but I don't understand my DH's thinking-or lack thereof.

Yesterday evening, I was out somewhere when DH called to ask what I'd planned for dinner. 

"Spaghetti, and there's sauce already made up and frozen in the freezer".

He acknowledged that he found the sauce, and we closed the conversation.

When I got home, there was no sauce defrosted and warmed on the stove.  When I asked why, he said "You didn't tell me to defrost it!"  ::).

By my thinking, "there's frozen sauce" would translate to "it's 5:15; I'll take it out and get dinner started". 

He says he didn't know when I'd be home.  I was on my way home, plus even if he didn't know this or if I were late, he could still get dinner going.

I didn't realize I had to tell him to start the sauce  >:(.  Is this common, or just my DH?

Absolutely not!  My DH would say that same exact thing.  Followed by, "If  you wanted me to take it out/defrost it, you should have said so."

I don't understand how they can't link the 3 thoughts together:  sauce is frozen...sauce is for dinner....maybe I should defrost it!
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

Betelnut

« Reply #10914 on: February 13, 2013, 07:26:55 PM »
Why are the "box tops for children/education" not on the actual box top?  I don't want to have to cute them out--it would be so much easier to rip off the box top and hand it in.  As it is, I don't do it.
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Maude

« Reply #10915 on: February 13, 2013, 09:52:24 PM »
When presenters on TV shake their hands in front of their bodies em-pha-siz-ing every syll-a-ble they utter.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10916 on: February 13, 2013, 09:53:31 PM »
When the big kids wake the baby up. He was supposed to be sleeping for another hour or so, and I was planning to get dinner in the oven. Actually, the middle child was supposed to be asleep as well, not dropping toys on her brother.

My sympathies.  What drives me nuts is when we're in church and I'm holding the youngest in my arms and the middle child (10) decides he wants to make the little guy laugh. Which means the little guy squirms and squeals.   ::) It's not even that he's fussing beforehand, his brother just wants something to do and when he gets the Glare O'Death he says "But I was just trying to make him smile!!"  ::)  The babe's already getting rather heavy and I have to hold him or else he'd run off (15 months, now), crawl under or over the pews or out into the aisle.  To have him wiggling just makes it worse cause it makes him even heavier. :P
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

pwv

« Reply #10917 on: February 14, 2013, 06:19:37 AM »
Walmart (and probably other stores) have their grocery bags on those carousel things at the end of the check stand.  When the cashier fills a bag, they turn the carousel to get a new (empty) bag.  That makes it easy for the customer to pick up the full bag and place in in their cart.  Or it would  be easy if the cashier would spin the thing so the full bag is facing the customer.  But nooooooo.  They turn the thing so the full bag is facing away from the customer.  Why??

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10918 on: February 14, 2013, 09:25:19 AM »
When the babe wakes me up about an hour before my alarm's set to go off and then has the nerve to fall asleep when I'm too wide awake to go back to sleep.

He just dozed off on the couch here cuddling with DH's Pinkie Pie doll.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #10919 on: February 14, 2013, 09:36:16 AM »
When the babe wakes me up about an hour before my alarm's set to go off and then has the nerve to fall asleep when I'm too wide awake to go back to sleep.

He just dozed off on the couch here cuddling with DH's Pinkie Pie doll.

I don't know but DS did that exact thing on Tuesday morning.  Woke up at 4.30.  Went to sleep 5.15.  I went back to sleep and then woke up at 6.30 to the alarm, feeling like I had consumed a bucket of concentrated Death. In addition, I had a worrying and confusing waking dream, in which I dreamed I had already woken up and got up etc, only to find that everything was backwards, so imagine my confusion when I did wake up and get up.  Yeah, my head was all over the place.  ::)
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.