News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 24, 2018, 07:24:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 5500605 times)

mmswm

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #11055 on: March 07, 2013, 03:18:22 PM »
I was reminded of this thread when I was at Walmart today looking at baby clothes. They had a t shirt that said "my mom doesn't want you advice" :-)

As for what drives me up the wall is my dh complaining about the kids never putting things away after I've spent half the day picking up after him. Never big stuff just a lot of little things he leaves lying around.

My father does this to my mother and it's been driving me up a wall for my entire life.  I have, in a few ehell unapproved moments, called him out on his behavior, most recently just a few weeks ago.  Well, maybe the incident a few weeks ago could have been ehell approved, because I was much more polite about it than I had been in the past, but my delivery could certainly sill use some work.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #11056 on: March 07, 2013, 04:51:34 PM »
The use of acronyms and jargon with no explanation provided. I'm not talking about stuff like DH and POD, which are traditional for this site. I'm talking about posts like "I sent my son to ARPB the other day, and blah blah blah" when the poster is likely the only one who knows that ARPB stands for Accelerated Reading Program for Boys.*

* Example is fictional.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #11057 on: March 07, 2013, 04:54:53 PM »
I was reminded of this thread when I was at Walmart today looking at baby clothes. They had a t shirt that said "my mom doesn't want you advice" :-)

As for what drives me up the wall is my dh complaining about the kids never putting things away after I've spent half the day picking up after him. Never big stuff just a lot of little things he leaves lying around.

Oh yeah.  Been there, done that.  Practice what you preach, buddy.

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #11058 on: March 08, 2013, 12:12:44 PM »
Following a pin for what looks like a delicious recipe on Pinterest only for it to lead to nothing but a picture. :P
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #11059 on: March 08, 2013, 01:53:05 PM »
ARRRGGGHHHHHHAAAAHHHHHH!

*ahem*

What I meant to say is, clients who insist on doing a meeting on a certain day and then refusing to make themselves available.

WHY?

guihong

« Reply #11060 on: March 08, 2013, 01:55:13 PM »
Waiting all day for a delivery.  It's always a window of 8-5, and they come at 4:59.

Here I sit, and if I had known it wouldn't be until this afternoon (I knew we were stop #7, but no time frame), I could have worked 1/2 day.

Oh, and the gas man who was supposed to come out and never did?  He showed up yesterday-three weeks late.  Of course, the room was a wreck and there was a lot of recycling out on the balcony he had to reach  ::).

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #11061 on: March 08, 2013, 07:06:33 PM »
"Friends" who put me in cold storage for later, who go mostly non-responsive ("forgetting" I'm there, or better yet, when we're having a conversation, they don't answer for a long time, but go "k" when I type "brb".  Glad what I have to say actually matters...  >:(), then suddenly start talking to me when they need sympathy.  Oh, so now I'm worth talking to again?  *sighhhhh*  I don't have the energy for this...People don't keep well in cold storage (as I think someone else on here said not too long ago), and I don't want to hear about how so-and-so is so "mean" because they ended their friendship with you.  You probably treated them like you're treating me!

You'd think I would have learned by now, but I guess I have to be hit in the head a few more times.

(To avoid misunderstandings, it's not anyone here.)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 07:09:00 PM by CrochetFanatic »

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #11062 on: March 08, 2013, 07:53:50 PM »
Two in a row!  This doesn't happen often.  ;D

Flamingvixen likes to not tell you when it needs to do an update.  Instead, it freezes you out of websites and makes everything sloooooooow.  You have to restart the computer, sometimes manually, and then Flamingvixen does its thing.  Would be nice to get a warning message.  Flamingvixen just did it again.

Mental Magpie

« Reply #11063 on: March 08, 2013, 08:18:21 PM »
Saying something on the phone only to be met with silence.  The worst part?  The multiple times he's been told that if he doesn't respond in some way, even a grunt, I don't know that he's heard me.  The other worst part?  My mom did the same thing on the phone not five minutes before he did.  I've also told her numerous times that if she needs me to hold on for a moment, I'd be happy to, but she needs to tell me.

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #11064 on: March 08, 2013, 08:38:44 PM »
Saying something on the phone only to be met with silence.  The worst part?  The multiple times he's been told that if he doesn't respond in some way, even a grunt, I don't know that he's heard me.  The other worst part?  My mom did the same thing on the phone not five minutes before he did.  I've also told her numerous times that if she needs me to hold on for a moment, I'd be happy to, but she needs to tell me.
Start talking nonsense.  Something silly, like you took a trip to the moon last week and now you have a lifetime's supply of green cheese to go with your green eggs and ham. THAT will get a response.  And if it doesn't, you know they weren't listening.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #11065 on: March 08, 2013, 08:49:15 PM »
I know it's a stupid thing, but when I switch radio stations because my regular station is playing a song I hate, and my back-up station is playing a song I really hate. Inevitably when that happens, I scan my other back-up stations, and if they're not playing commercials, they're also playing songs I hate.

I know that's such a trivial problem, but it ruins at least three minutes of the day.

mmswm

« Reply #11066 on: March 08, 2013, 08:51:41 PM »
I know it's a stupid thing, but when I switch radio stations because my regular station is playing a song I hate, and my back-up station is playing a song I really hate. Inevitably when that happens, I scan my other back-up stations, and if they're not playing commercials, they're also playing songs I hate.

I know that's such a trivial problem, but it ruins at least three minutes of the day.

It ruins far more than three minutes.  I'm usually in a grumpy mood for at least 5 minutes when that happens.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Mental Magpie

« Reply #11067 on: March 08, 2013, 08:57:26 PM »
Start talking nonsense.  Something silly, like you took a trip to the moon last week and now you have a lifetime's supply of green cheese to go with your green eggs and ham. THAT will get a response.  And if it doesn't, you know they weren't listening.

Oh, I know he's not listening; my mother is listening to someone else.  I have told both of them a number of times that I don't appreciate it, but nothing ever changes.  I decided today to just say goodbye and hang up without the usual pause/give and take at the end of a conversation.

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #11068 on: March 08, 2013, 08:58:56 PM »

Reminds me of the movie Patch Adams. He's talking to the psychologist at the mental hospital who's a jerk and not listening to him so Patch starts saying things like "I thought if I used my *private organ* as a pogo stick I could bounce all the way to the moon, or at least Uranus, and at least that would be a way of getting around."  The pysch just nods and says "Mmhmm, that's great, Hunter."

Later he tells the guy "I want to listen to people and help them."
"That's what I do!"
"But you suck at it!" :)

Seriously though in that situation I think it's best to say "Since you're distracted by something else I'll leave you alone." and hang up.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #11069 on: March 08, 2013, 09:44:18 PM »
Today an older woman at the park's art museum chatted with me as we were leaving started up a conversation about my having 3 boys. It was around 4 and as I had bought a veggie lasagna and wanted to get home to throw it in the oven.

She had 4 kids, three of which were boys and she was commiserating on how much they eat in the preteen and teen years.   She shared that her fourth was a girl, said with a wink.  I said "Well this is it. No more for us."

She gave a smug look and said "Hm, We'll see."  Um, no.  We've taken measures to prevent further children after the last surprise. It's not going to be happening again.