Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1548355 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #11175 on: March 10, 2013, 11:20:20 PM »
Parents who bring their children to church for no apparent reason except to distract everyone around them. The reason for their attendance is a mystery as the parents allow them to listen to their ipods, play games on their tablets, play with toys, dance on the pews, eat donuts, and/or talk to their siblings FOR THE ENTIRE SERVICE -- even the children's sermon. It is so freaking distracting and it's so disrespectful.

Or use the envelopes and prayer request forms as coloring pages.  :o

Library Dragon

« Reply #11176 on: March 11, 2013, 12:11:52 AM »
Parents who bring their children to church for no apparent reason except to distract everyone around them. The reason for their attendance is a mystery as the parents allow them to listen to their ipods, play games on their tablets, play with toys, dance on the pews, eat donuts, and/or talk to their siblings FOR THE ENTIRE SERVICE -- even the children's sermon. It is so freaking distracting and it's so disrespectful.

POD!!
I don't mind cheerios for your 2 year old, but the 7 year old doesn't need a picnic lunch.  It's only an hour. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #11177 on: March 11, 2013, 01:09:48 AM »
I have a student who argues about every single point off on his assignments and exams. This week he emailed me four times in one day about half a point on one assignment. Four times. For half a point. (No, I did not budge.)

I'm grading his assignments just as fairly as everybody else's but man, this guy is losing a lot of good will from me and the professor.

girlysprite

• I like big books, and I cannot lie
« Reply #11178 on: March 11, 2013, 02:09:06 AM »
Microsoft Word drives me up the wall, as do many other fine Microsoft products.

I would die a happy man if I could spend five minutes alone with whatever moron first hatched the idea, "Hey, let's have our software predict what the user wants to do and make changes without asking permission! Then let's make it really, really hard to make any changes from what we think the document should look like!" Seriously, five minutes. Just me, him and a sock full of nickels. Good times.

That must be the same programmer who invented clippy. It has een gone for many years and I can still get mad at it.

Redsoil

« Reply #11179 on: March 11, 2013, 07:05:14 AM »
Hey, at least clippy was cute!  (And you could change him into a cat or a dog...)
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11180 on: March 11, 2013, 08:36:51 AM »
The posts on fbook along the lines of "My parents said I can get a dog if I get 1,000 likes!" or "mom said she'd quit smoking if I could get 1,000 likes!"

I swear those just about scream "SCAM!"
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Lynnv

« Reply #11181 on: March 11, 2013, 09:23:56 AM »

I would die a happy man if I could spend five minutes alone with whatever moron first hatched the idea, "Hey, let's have our software predict what the user wants to do and make changes without asking permission! Then let's make it really, really hard to make any changes from what we think the document should look like!" Seriously, five minutes. Just me, him and a sock full of nickels. Good times.

That must be the same programmer who invented clippy. It has een gone for many years and I can still get mad at it.

I am in.  Is it okay if I empty out the swear jar that is pretty much fueled by MS products instead of limiting myself to nickels?

And while we are there, can we make a trip to the mothership and find the guy who did the auto-correct feature on my iPad and iPhone?  Which corrects things that were correct and didn't need fixing.  Grrr.
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11182 on: March 11, 2013, 09:29:52 AM »
That's one reason I'm glad I don't have an iPhone, for the autocorrect.  That would drive me up the wall.  My Android has a little menu under the text box where you can select the word you're spelling.  Ie if you start out typing sleep and get as far as sl, it gives you the options of "Sleet, sleep, sloop, slurp" and you can just select whichever you want or keep spelling. 

Though once DH slipped up and I got a text saying DS was trying to microwave a slice of people.  Unfortunately he didn't get my soylent green joke.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Dr. F.

« Reply #11183 on: March 11, 2013, 09:31:10 AM »

I actually once met the guy that designed clippy. He took a lot a teasing. (IIRC, he was just the graphic designer, and was only doing as he was told. Still...)

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11184 on: March 11, 2013, 09:41:37 AM »
That's one reason I'm glad I don't have an iPhone, for the autocorrect.  That would drive me up the wall.  My Android has a little menu under the text box where you can select the word you're spelling.  Ie if you start out typing sleep and get as far as sl, it gives you the options of "Sleet, sleep, sloop, slurp" and you can just select whichever you want or keep spelling. 

Though once DH slipped up and I got a text saying DS was trying to microwave a slice of people.  Unfortunately he didn't get my soylent green joke.

iPhone and iPad autocorrect can be turned off.

Settings > Keyboard > Auto-Correction (slider button)

I have a friend who constantly complains about autocorrect, I have told him how to change it, he never gets about to it but keeps complaining. Drives me batty so I just ignore his comments now. (He is very teck-savy, by the way.)

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11185 on: March 11, 2013, 09:50:37 AM »

I am in.  Is it okay if I empty out the swear jar that is pretty much fueled by MS products instead of limiting myself to nickels?

And while we are there, can we make a trip to the mothership and find the guy who did the auto-correct feature on my iPad and iPhone?  Which corrects things that were correct and didn't need fixing.  Grrr.

Lynn, please read my post just above. Settings > Keyboard > Auto-correction (slider button).

Please include those people who programmed almost any download to have Google take over the computer. A lot of times, they don't give me a choice to opt out, Google even resets our Home Page! I can go in and uninstall without help, but sometimes the uninstall doesn't work so I have to get into the Control Panel to do it. I think I've uninstalled Google Chrome at leat 3 times in the past 2 months.

I am not a fan of Google! Well, their maps and satelite photos are good.

magicdomino

« Reply #11186 on: March 11, 2013, 10:55:52 AM »

Wait! Wait for me! I'm coming too! We can experiment with US currency v. UK currency in the sock to see what gives the most satisfactory result.

And we can give each other an alibi afterwards.

I hate Word.  I hated it when my office switched from WordPerfect to Word.  WordPerfect is obedient.  It does what I tell it to do, and if we get confused, it will graciously Reveal Codes, letting you delete or add exactly what is needed.  I could make WordPerfect do anything except sing and dance, and it probably would have done that if I'd ever really needed a singing, dancing document.  While I've never tried it, I understand WordPerfect is great for translating a document into HTTP, preciesly because you can get inside the formatting.

Word is a bully that tries to push me around.  Oh you don't need that, look at all of these templates.  None of which are acceptable to my office's standards, not to mention that if you use a standard Word template, it screams, "I used a standard Word template, because I have less imagination and talent that your average worm!"  Okay, maybe that last one is just me.   ;)

Shalamar

« Reply #11187 on: March 11, 2013, 11:13:02 AM »
How about the folks who decided that it would be jolly good fun to have CTRL-ALT-down-arrow turn your display upside down?  I use software at work for which that particular keyboard shortcut is a key function, and now I can't use it.  Who in Hades thought that turning your display upside down is something people wanted or needed?

robobecky

« Reply #11188 on: March 11, 2013, 11:18:51 AM »
I just had to try the control-alt-down arrow function and while I agree it is useless, it did make me giggle.  And then realized that the same function will not reverse your screen back to upright.  Very glad I thought to try the up arrow instead!

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #11189 on: March 11, 2013, 12:21:36 PM »
How about the folks who decided that it would be jolly good fun to have CTRL-ALT-down-arrow turn your display upside down?  I use software at work for which that particular keyboard shortcut is a key function, and now I can't use it.  Who in Hades thought that turning your display upside down is something people wanted or needed?

I think it's usefulness is limited to the first of April.  That's about the only time I ever used it.

>:D