Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1558550 times)

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #11190 on: March 11, 2013, 12:26:32 PM »
I accidentally turned my laptop display sideways less than 5 minutes before I had to use it to give a presentation for a job interview, and panicked.  I looked reasonably calm outwardly, but no-one knew how to fix it and we had to call IT!  I was freaking out  :-[
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 12:45:15 PM by RingTailedLemur »

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #11191 on: March 11, 2013, 12:40:39 PM »
The posts on fbook along the lines of "My parents said I can get a dog if I get 1,000 likes!" or "mom said she'd quit smoking if I could get 1,000 likes!"

I swear those just about scream "SCAM!"

I saw one that said, "If I get 1 million likes, my wife said we can talk about having a baby!"  :o

Shalamar

« Reply #11192 on: March 11, 2013, 12:49:10 PM »
I have a co-worker who thinks he's a lot funnier than he actually is.  He has a tendency to make a joke to someone else, then say "Did you hear that, Shalamar?"    When I say "No, I didn't", he'll repeat it to me and wait expectantly for me to laugh - which I always do because I want to be nice.  Meanwhile, I'm thinking "That's stupid" or "That's mean". 

Example:  he went to a wedding recently, and his opinion was that the bride looked like Fiona from Shrek.  The "joke" he told to everyone at work - and I mean everyone - was "You know how Fiona turned back into a human during the day?  Someone forgot to tell the bride that it was daytime, so she got stuck looking like an ogre.  Ha ha ha!"

Hilarious.   ::)

Meanwhile, I recently used the expression "My precioussssss" within his earshot.  He looked puzzled for a moment, then he said "Hey, that's like Gollum from Lord of the Rings!"  Gee, you don't say? 

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11193 on: March 11, 2013, 12:57:43 PM »
The posts on fbook along the lines of "My parents said I can get a dog if I get 1,000 likes!" or "mom said she'd quit smoking if I could get 1,000 likes!"

I swear those just about scream "SCAM!"

I saw one that said, "If I get 1 million likes, my wife said we can talk about having a baby!"  :o

If it takes 1 million likes to have that discussion, they're clearly not on the same page about having children.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #11194 on: March 11, 2013, 01:14:56 PM »
How about the folks who decided that it would be jolly good fun to have CTRL-ALT-down-arrow turn your display upside down?  I use software at work for which that particular keyboard shortcut is a key function, and now I can't use it.  Who in Hades thought that turning your display upside down is something people wanted or needed?
People who hang projectors upside down from the ceiling. Thank you for the code. A couple of our kinder and 1st graders figured out that trick and I'm tired of trying to fix it with the mouse.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11195 on: March 11, 2013, 01:27:57 PM »
Treasury direct. Ugh.  My friend is going to be my youngest's godmother so she decided for each year on his birthday she would put some money into a savings bond and set it up through that site.  Her end was simple. Mine has been anything but.

First the instructions were kind of confusing so I ended up signing up with the wrong account, which was my mistake (but in my defense, the directions were confusing!) but I didn't even find that out for MANY weeks later when I finally called them to find out what was going on.  They needed a form from my bank in order to confirm that I did indeed have an account there.   But it had to be witnessed by a notary and i was informed the credit union didn't have a notary.  Went back home and emailed the customer service who said it was okay if there wasn't a notary there so long as a stamp with the seal was present. Okay.

Well then I went through the process with the right kind of account, got the form, mailed it off, found out today the hold on the account has been lifted since they received the form. YAY!!  Now I can go sign in and create a minor account for the babe.

Or I would, if not for the fact that "treasury direct is unavailable at this time".  GAH! I want to get this all sorted out before he turns 2!!!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Sebastienne

« Reply #11196 on: March 11, 2013, 01:55:47 PM »
How about the folks who decided that it would be jolly good fun to have CTRL-ALT-down-arrow turn your display upside down?  I use software at work for which that particular keyboard shortcut is a key function, and now I can't use it.  Who in Hades thought that turning your display upside down is something people wanted or needed?

We learned that was a thing when our cat flipped the screen by walking across my husband's keyboard. It's certainly something most people will only discover by accident (if at all), and will drive them crazy until they figure it out.

snowflake

« Reply #11197 on: March 11, 2013, 03:15:39 PM »
Along the lines of computers...

For the love of Santa Claus, why did my IT person decide to order all these cordless mice that are so sleek, modern, minimalist and look exactly the same upside-down as right-side up?  I keep picking up my mouse and going, "HEY!  It's going backwards! What the - ?" 

Coralreef

« Reply #11198 on: March 11, 2013, 03:55:44 PM »
Microsoft Word drives me up the wall, as do many other fine Microsoft products.

I would die a happy man if I could spend five minutes alone with whatever moron first hatched the idea, "Hey, let's have our software predict what the user wants to do and make changes without asking permission! Then let's make it really, really hard to make any changes from what we think the document should look like!" Seriously, five minutes. Just me, him and a sock full of nickels. Good times.

Wait! Wait for me! I'm coming too! We can experiment with US currency v. UK currency in the sock to see what gives the most satisfactory result.

And we can give each other an alibi afterwards.

Can we also add in some Aussie $2 coins and 50c pieces as well?  The $2 are small but thick, and the 50s have nice corners on em...

And we can use the sock also on the wonderful folk that designed my workplace's data warehouse.  Please??  Oh the frustration of trying to link tables on a common identifier field which is stored as text in one table and number in the other...

I'll supply some Canadian coins.  Our $2 is bi-metallic, I could check how many hits it takes to separate them. 

[/right

Snooks

« Reply #11199 on: March 11, 2013, 04:58:23 PM »

I would die a happy man if I could spend five minutes alone with whatever moron first hatched the idea, "Hey, let's have our software predict what the user wants to do and make changes without asking permission! Then let's make it really, really hard to make any changes from what we think the document should look like!" Seriously, five minutes. Just me, him and a sock full of nickels. Good times.

Wait! Wait for me! I'm coming too! We can experiment with US currency v. UK currency in the sock to see what gives the most satisfactory result.

Can we also add in some Aussie $2 coins and 50c pieces as well?  The $2 are small but thick, and the 50s have nice corners on em...

And we can use the sock also on the wonderful folk that designed my workplace's data warehouse.  Please??  Oh the frustration of trying to link tables on a common identifier field which is stored as text in one table and number in the other...

I'll supply some Canadian coins.  Our $2 is bi-metallic, I could check how many hits it takes to separate them.

Our 2 is the reverse of your $2 we could see if one separates quicker than the other.

snowdragon

« Reply #11200 on: March 11, 2013, 05:04:25 PM »

Our 2 is the reverse of your $2 we could see if one separates quicker than the other.

ALL MS Office programs,  I am sick of spending 3 times the time I need to on grad school projects because PowerPoint automatically capitalizes words at the beginning of of a line, not a sentence, a line.   

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #11201 on: March 11, 2013, 06:00:34 PM »
I have a colleague that is a very smart, witty man and is very knowledgeable.

However, at least twice a month, he asks me if it is really necessary for a student to provide required documents. Every time I have been asked that, it has been necessary and I have told him so. This has been going on for over a year.

He asked me the same question again today!  ::)

lilfox

« Reply #11202 on: March 11, 2013, 07:16:58 PM »
ALL MS Office programs,  I am sick of spending 3 times the time I need to on grad school projects because PowerPoint automatically capitalizes words at the beginning of of a line, not a sentence, a line.

This really sums it up.  Why does it do that?  Why?  Who saw that as an improvement?
Why can't I open two different instances of PPT or Excel but I can have as many Word windows as I want?
Why does it now take 27 steps to put error bars on a graph when it used to take 4?
Why does it slavishly retain its stupid formatting for bullets and numbering so that I have to manual change it every time?  If it automatically bulletizes or numbers things, why does it not automatically adjust when I put in new format parameters? (If you wonder why I don't just use MS format for these things... no.  I want it MY way. :P)
And really, don't get me started on when it adds a line between paragraphs, except when it doesn't.

But ultimately, the thing that drives me crazy?  MS has a usability division, whose entire responsibility is to make the software easier to use.  I honestly do not know what they do over there.

turtleIScream

« Reply #11203 on: March 11, 2013, 07:25:29 PM »
Good hair days. You'd think I would be thrilled, but no. My hair looked AWESOME yesterday, seriously awesome. As in, I looked like an after photo in a magazine makeover.

Today, I look like the before picture. And I cannot replicate yesterday's look at all. Not even close. :( Why couldn't I have just gone on accepting I don't have great hair? Why does it have to taunt me?

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11204 on: March 11, 2013, 08:20:32 PM »

And throw some 50p coins in there too.  THEY have corners!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~