Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1821516 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #11220 on: March 12, 2013, 06:55:23 AM »
My hair makes me nuts cause it's fine and straight, and aside from ponytail holders and bobby pins, things rarely stay in.  If I use barrettes, hair combs, scarves, or clips, I'm constantly having to redo my style throughout the day cause it'll slip out.

For that reason (and having a toddler) my hair's most often in a ponytail.

My hair is most often in a bun, but for the opposite reason.  It's long, thick and curly.  And as unruly as a spoiled 2 year old.

This is my hair right after I cut it in September.  I haven't cut it since then, and it grows a little more than half an inch a month.

The only way I can get it to do what I want is to beat it into submission...er, I mean a bun.

Wanna trade?  LOL!!!  Seriously, you have lovely hair.   I have two good friends that have gorgeous curly red hair and I'm envious of them both.  Well one of them she's coloring it the same shade of red it used to be before it started turning a shade of gray she hates. LOL.  But still, it's thick and curly.  My hair takes about a metric ton of mouse to get it to even hold a curl. :P
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11221 on: March 12, 2013, 09:08:58 AM »
I have fine, curly hair.  I can have Shirley Temple ringlets, if I want to go to the trouble.

I've finally learned how to care for it.  Wash it every other day with a sulphate free shampoo.  Condition it every day.  Comb it out with a wide-toothed comb and leave it alone.

I was platinum blonde as a kid.  It started going brown when I was about 6 but I have a lot of different natural highlights - blonde, brown, red.  Now?  Most of those highlights are white.  I like to think I'm going back to my platinum blonde.   ;D
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

mmswm

« Reply #11222 on: March 12, 2013, 10:11:17 AM »
Thanks, guys. :)  I think the reason I don't shave my head in frustration is because I can admit that I do have great hair.  I just wish it wasn't such a brat about behaving. I should take a picture now, just to show what the South Florida humidity does to it.  :o Remember the main character in "The Princess Diaries" before her makeover?  That would be an accurate comparison.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #11223 on: March 12, 2013, 10:33:23 AM »

I have the same type of hair; straight fine, and *thick*.  Trying to get it to take any sort of curl involves a metric ton of product and prayers to both Thor and Ra to keep the rain away and the sun shining, as any amount of humidity will override all the hair product and make it fall straight again.

I really, *really* want to do Amy Pond cosplay at Dragon*Con this year.  I have the hair color and by the time August rolls around I'll have the length, but I'm just not sure how I'm going to get the waves.
You could do Amy and baby Melody-her hair was half up then.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Louie_LI

« Reply #11224 on: March 12, 2013, 12:26:32 PM »

ALL MS Office programs,  I am sick of spending 3 times the time I need to on grad school projects because PowerPoint automatically capitalizes words at the beginning of of a line, not a sentence, a line.

What version are you using? That feature can be turned off under autocorrect options.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #11225 on: March 12, 2013, 12:35:41 PM »
Good hair days. You'd think I would be thrilled, but no. My hair looked AWESOME yesterday, seriously awesome. As in, I looked like an after photo in a magazine makeover.

Today, I look like the before picture. And I cannot replicate yesterday's look at all. Not even close. :( Why couldn't I have just gone on accepting I don't have great hair? Why does it have to taunt me?

I only get suberb hair days on those days I have no plans to leave the house and intend to give the house a good scrubbing.  All I do is shove it into a ponytail but for some reason, it has just the right amount of tousle, just the right amount of poof, etc.  I try to replicate that on any other day and it looks like I just rolled out of bed after a bad night's sleep.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #11226 on: March 12, 2013, 12:39:32 PM »
Thanks, guys. :)  I think the reason I don't shave my head in frustration is because I can admit that I do have great hair.  I just wish it wasn't such a brat about behaving. I should take a picture now, just to show what the South Florida humidity does to it.  :o Remember the main character in "The Princess Diaries" before her makeover?  That would be an accurate comparison.

Are you me?  :P My hair is basically yours, except it's brown and has more curl. It's long enough that it keeps getting lodged in my armpits, plus I have 3 layers of tangles just from tossing and turning in sleep.  ::) Can you tell I'm happy I'll have my hair cut in a few days?
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

lilfox

« Reply #11227 on: March 12, 2013, 01:26:14 PM »
ALL MS Office programs,  I am sick of spending 3 times the time I need to on grad school projects because PowerPoint automatically capitalizes words at the beginning of of a line, not a sentence, a line.

This really sums it up.  Why does it do that?  Why?  Who saw that as an improvement?
Why can't I open two different instances of PPT or Excel but I can have as many Word windows as I want?

You can.  I have my PP and Excel pinned to my task bar when I want to open a new one I right click on the icon and left click on where it says "Microsoft PowerPoint" voila two open. Works with all the Office programs, at least in windows.   

Thanks for the tip, Snowdragon!  I just tried it and got it to work for Excel, but not for Powerpoint.  But if it's possible then I'm not giving up!

I guess what irritates me is having to learn how to outwit the programs because they do fluky little annoying things as the default.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #11228 on: March 12, 2013, 05:16:03 PM »
Disobedient cats.  Actually, that's a bit redundant...

Oh, and thefts committed by said cats.  I was going to have a BLT not too long ago, and someone had taken the bacon plate out of the oven and put it on the counter to bake something.  The bacon was never put back.  My brother's cat is the chief offender.  I saw that satisfied little mumblemumble saunter out of the kitchen licking his chops, and I just knew...  ::)

Little so-and-so didn't even have the decency to to develop a tummy ache, from what I could see.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #11229 on: March 12, 2013, 05:20:03 PM »

That's because it's not a line, it's a paragraph. Every time you hit "enter" that creates a new paragraph and the auto-capitalization takes over. Try Shift-enter instead when you want to insert a new line but don't want to start a paragraph.

Now, if you really want to suffer, try the miserably weak editing tools provided by some of the Google Apps. They make MS look competent by comparison.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #11230 on: March 12, 2013, 05:37:12 PM »

My coworker who has the voice of Fran Drescher and the speech patterns of dramatic OpRAHHHH and never shuts up.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Shalamar

« Reply #11231 on: March 12, 2013, 05:51:57 PM »
My co-worker who loves the sound of his own voice, to the extent of interrupting when I'm trying to answer a question that HE ASKED ME.  This morning I actually held up a finger (no, not that one) in a "shush" motion so that I could talk - kind of obnoxious, but frankly, so was he.

Cami

« Reply #11232 on: March 12, 2013, 06:03:25 PM »
People who write phonetically, in general. I hate it when fiction authors do it in their books. I hate it even more when people do it on message boards -- on two different message boards I frequent, there are multiple people who think it's hilarious to write as if they are hillbillies. I refuse to read their schtick because it makes me want to smack the computer.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11233 on: March 12, 2013, 06:35:09 PM »
My co-worker who loves the sound of his own voice, to the extent of interrupting when I'm trying to answer a question that HE ASKED ME.  This morning I actually held up a finger (no, not that one) in a "shush" motion so that I could talk - kind of obnoxious, but frankly, so was he.

My kids do that too me and I have often folded my arms and asked "Why would you ask me a question if you have no interest in hearing the answer?"

As for phonetic writing, that's one reason I had a hard time reading Huckleberry Finn, because Twain wrote Jim's speech phonetically and often I had to read it out loud to get an idea for what he was saying.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #11234 on: March 12, 2013, 06:39:54 PM »
I was going to have a BLT not too long ago, and someone had taken the bacon plate out of the oven and put it on the counter to bake something.  The bacon was never put back.  My brother's cat is the chief offender.  I saw that satisfied little mumblemumble saunter out of the kitchen licking his chops, and I just knew...  ::)

Count your blessings. You could have experienced the bacon outrage perpetrated on my husband: http://www.jenniferjo.com/Square_Bacon_Incident.htm
Esan ozenki!

Arizona