Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1787546 times)

Snooks

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #11235 on: March 12, 2013, 06:47:00 PM »
I discovered a new one from Excel today "Too many different cell formats".  I'm sorry what now Excel?  OK I'll strip all the formatting, can I colour that cell yellow now please? No, too many different cell formats.  But what does that mean Excel? Too many different cell formats.  Thanks for nothing Excel.

Turns out that Excel has an issue if you have too many files open, with a variety of different formats on cells.  The internet didn't tell me that, shutting the whole thing down because I was so angry with it told me that.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #11236 on: March 12, 2013, 06:50:52 PM »
People who write phonetically, in general. I hate it when fiction authors do it in their books. I hate it even more when people do it on message boards -- on two different message boards I frequent, there are multiple people who think it's hilarious to write as if they are hillbillies. I refuse to read their schtick because it makes me want to smack the computer.

I don't mind when fiction authors do it if there is a valid reason for it.  Such as to show dialectic differences when there is a point to be made about it.  However, I don't think that lower-class speech is amusing or adorable, especially when you have to read it.  Anywhere.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11237 on: March 12, 2013, 07:10:38 PM »
People who write phonetically, in general. I hate it when fiction authors do it in their books. I hate it even more when people do it on message boards -- on two different message boards I frequent, there are multiple people who think it's hilarious to write as if they are hillbillies. I refuse to read their schtick because it makes me want to smack the computer.
And that's why most professional writers use dialect very, very sparingly. Read Huckleberry Finn, and notice that Twain DIDN'T descend into phonetic semi-illiteracy every time Huck opened his mouth.

Two of my biggest peeves along that line: s'posed instead of 'supposed', prolly instead of 'probably'. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Shalamar

« Reply #11238 on: March 12, 2013, 07:42:10 PM »
I had that problem with the Uncle Remus stories - the dialect was so thick, I couldn't understand a darned word, even when I read them aloud.

Cami

« Reply #11239 on: March 12, 2013, 07:47:39 PM »
And that's why most professional writers use dialect very, very sparingly. Read Huckleberry Finn, and notice that Twain DIDN'T descend into phonetic semi-illiteracy every time Huck opened his mouth.

Two of my biggest peeves along that line: s'posed instead of 'supposed', prolly instead of 'probably'.
Exactly. Twain knew what he was doing.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #11240 on: March 12, 2013, 07:50:34 PM »
I was going to have a BLT not too long ago, and someone had taken the bacon plate out of the oven and put it on the counter to bake something.  The bacon was never put back.  My brother's cat is the chief offender.  I saw that satisfied little mumblemumble saunter out of the kitchen licking his chops, and I just knew...  ::)

Count your blessings. You could have experienced the bacon outrage perpetrated on my husband: http://www.jenniferjo.com/Square_Bacon_Incident.htm

OMGoodness, i am dying.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #11241 on: March 12, 2013, 07:52:37 PM »
Women's sizes. I am currently anywhere from a 4 to a 16... and that isn't including junior sizing. ::)
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

diesel_darlin

« Reply #11242 on: March 12, 2013, 07:58:02 PM »
I was going to have a BLT not too long ago, and someone had taken the bacon plate out of the oven and put it on the counter to bake something.  The bacon was never put back.  My brother's cat is the chief offender.  I saw that satisfied little mumblemumble saunter out of the kitchen licking his chops, and I just knew...  ::)

Count your blessings. You could have experienced the bacon outrage perpetrated on my husband: http://www.jenniferjo.com/Square_Bacon_Incident.htm

OMGoodness, i am dying.

I have tears rolling down my face. I. CANT.BREATHE.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #11243 on: March 12, 2013, 08:04:39 PM »
Oh. My. 

As a cat mom, I'm now grateful that all they do is scratch the furniture and randomly wake me to be fed.

girlysprite

• I like big books, and I cannot lie
« Reply #11244 on: March 13, 2013, 06:41:56 AM »
One of my cats also steals the food from your plate as soon as you've walked three steps away from it. He knows how to reach many of the impossible spots of the kitchen, and will even steal and tear up bags of tea.
When I was giving birth (home birth), my husband went downstairs to get something while I was busy upstairs, assisted by the midwife. He suddenly realized that the cats weren't begging for attention as usual. He saw that they were hanging around their cathouse, so he checked out. They had stolen two small bags of formula from the bag of e midwife and had torn it open. One of the cats looked like he had fallen wi his face into a heap of cocaine.

And when it's feeding time they will raise the alarm...an hour before they are supposed to be fed. And they will engage in behavior which they know isn't allowed, like chewing on the plants, scratching the couch, jumping om the kitchen counter, digging ear out of the plantpots...When I'm feeding the baby around that time, I keep a lot of cushions in my reach to throw at them.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11245 on: March 13, 2013, 08:49:11 AM »
When people make YOU look bad. BG: My friend's DH is cheaper than cheap. Obessesively so. Everyone is out to get him, he knows better, and there is no reason to spend money on ANYTHING, EVER. He has coniptions when she or their son is sick, and needs to go to the dr., since they have a co-pay. It's "unnecessary" he never goes, nor do his parents (who he learned his cheap ways from), so therefore, none of them should go.

when she had her son, they went from 2 incomes, living on one, banking the other, to one income. they do ok, but there isn't much left over which drives him nuts.

So I have an awesome mechanic. No one else touches my car. Ever. She has a very old, rather carpy car, with a lot of miles and an almost 3 year old. He won't spend the money to replace the car until they can pay cash, which they can now, for somehting in the 15-16K price range. He WILL NOT have a loan. that is unacceptable.

So she's had some issues with her car not starting, and I sent her to my mechanic. the code was not showing it was the starter, so he didn't replace that. It died again yesterday, and it turns out it was indeed the starter. SO she's upset, and DH gets on the phone with both the mechanic and his wife, screaming at them.  Because he had to spend money to fix the car.  When really it hsould just be replaced. But he wont' do that.  And had the mechanic replaced the starter from the get go, and that wasn't the issue, he would have screamed about that too, hwo it wasn't necessary to spend the $$ and so on.

I am so embarassed since I sent them to him in the first place, and I'm furious with her DH for making such a scene. But he does this anytime anything breaks, I guess he never got the memo that cars and houses sometimes need things done to them, which means spending $$.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11246 on: March 13, 2013, 09:31:58 AM »
They had stolen two small bags of formula from the bag of e midwife and had torn it open. One of the cats looked like he had fallen wi his face into a heap of cocaine.

That made me laugh.  My coworkers are wondering what's wrong with me.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #11247 on: March 13, 2013, 10:32:12 AM »
Sinks in public bathrooms where you have to hold down the water knob for any water to come out. It's so awkward to wash one hand at a time and the water is always so cold!

perpetua

« Reply #11248 on: March 13, 2013, 10:38:57 AM »
But he does this anytime anything breaks, I guess he never got the memo that cars and houses sometimes need things done to them, which means spending $$.

I used to have a friend like that, who had absolutely no concept of the fact that mechanical things can go wrong of their own accord and it wasn't always whoever she'd bought them from trying to stitch her up. She bought what I think was about an eight year old car, and something went wrong with it that cost to fix. She was livid. Tried to sue the dealership (it was out of warranty) through the small claims court and everything. Just because it was new to her, she thought it should be perfect, and couldn't get it through her head that a car has bits that wear out.

She also had no concept of depreciation, and would try to sell things for the same amount she paid for them and then get cross when nobody bought them. For example, she'd buy a laptop for 500, use it for a year then try to sell it on for 500, because that's what she paid for it, therefore that's what she thought was what it was worth. Then she'd get angry at people who wouldn't pay what she was asking.

She used to do my head in.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11249 on: March 13, 2013, 10:52:51 AM »
But he does this anytime anything breaks, I guess he never got the memo that cars and houses sometimes need things done to them, which means spending $$.

I used to have a friend like that, who had absolutely no concept of the fact that mechanical things can go wrong of their own accord and it wasn't always whoever she'd bought them from trying to stitch her up. She bought what I think was about an eight year old car, and something went wrong with it that cost to fix. She was livid. Tried to sue the dealership (it was out of warranty) through the small claims court and everything. Just because it was new to her, she thought it should be perfect, and couldn't get it through her head that a car has bits that wear out.

She also had no concept of depreciation, and would try to sell things for the same amount she paid for them and then get cross when nobody bought them. For example, she'd buy a laptop for 500, use it for a year then try to sell it on for 500, because that's what she paid for it, therefore that's what she thought was what it was worth. Then she'd get angry at people who wouldn't pay what she was asking.

She used to do my head in.

I hear you. He's like that as well. I get it stinks that you need ALL of this stuff done at once, but hey, you bought a house, therefore you have to know that you will be paying for stuff for it constantly. He also seems unclear about the concept of "preventative maintenance" The best example of this was when they bought their townhouse, the HVAC system was original, so 20+ years old. They KNEW at some point it would need to be replaced, at a cost of about 10K.

Rather than doing it when they were both still working, and had 2 incomes coming in, he opted to wait until it was absolutely necessary. Which happened in the summer, during the middle of a heat wave, which meant they had to wait a couple weeks before someone could come and do the work.  The a/c just totally carped out, and they had nothing until it got fixed. My friend was not at all happy with him.