Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1558880 times)

Lorelei_Evil

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #11250 on: March 13, 2013, 10:57:14 AM »
How aggravating.  There is a big difference between frugal and cheap!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11251 on: March 13, 2013, 11:46:07 AM »
Yeah, that's one thing we've discovered in the last 3 months of home ownership.  It really never ends! Even if your house is in good shape when you buy it, which ours was, for a house 84 years old, and just needed some cosmetic things done to make it our house. And then the motor for the furnace died, and we wanted to replace the old windows, and we want to put up a privacy fence (fences are allowed, our current one is a chain link)  And it needed exterior painting, too.

Not to mention, not even a week after we moved in the refrigerator died so we had to replace that one as well. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #11252 on: March 13, 2013, 12:32:45 PM »
I was going to have a BLT not too long ago, and someone had taken the bacon plate out of the oven and put it on the counter to bake something.  The bacon was never put back.  My brother's cat is the chief offender.  I saw that satisfied little mumblemumble saunter out of the kitchen licking his chops, and I just knew...  ::)

Count your blessings. You could have experienced the bacon outrage perpetrated on my husband: http://www.jenniferjo.com/Square_Bacon_Incident.htm

OMGoodness, i am dying.

I have tears rolling down my face. I. CANT.BREATHE.

I just laughed myself into an asthma attack.  ;D Your poor husband, your poor noses, and a waste of good bacon!  If that happened here, my brother would probably intone his favorite threat (which he would never even think of carrying out) for when he's mad at the cats; "I'm gonna punt that cat into orbit..."

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11253 on: March 13, 2013, 12:53:42 PM »

I agree. and it only gets better. SHe left me a very tearful voicemail saying her transmission blew up today (this is the second one; already replaced once in this car) and that her DH called the mechanic and screamed at him, and now the mechanic wants to sue them (I'm guessing her DH also threatened to dispute the charge for the other work just done).

I am so livid right now I can't even see straight. one ahs nothing to do with the other. I am pretty sure the car was on its last legs anyway, and pouring money into it, i.e. new tires etc. was not a smart thing to do. But again, he's cheap so buying a new one wasn't an option, at least not for him.

So I don't know how this will all play out. I am embarassed for the way they treated my mechanic, who has been nothing but good to me, and the fact he's acting like such a childish a**, when he clearly knows nothing about cars etc. 

« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 01:49:47 PM by siamesecat2965 »

mmswm

« Reply #11254 on: March 13, 2013, 01:01:48 PM »
I'm adding medical students to my list today.  I posted a bit on the student darwinism thread about one of them talking about another patient while they were in my son's room, and then one of them left their clipboard in here.  That's annoying enough.  What's really driving me up a wall today is just how very interested they are.  I get it.  This is a rare disease.  Medical students are naturally thrilled to be able to observe a patient with it.  But geesh, do they have to be so obvious about it?  This is a 13 year old boy, not some circus side show exhibit!

I will, of course, get over it, but between now and then I reserve the right to be annoyed. :D
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #11255 on: March 13, 2013, 01:03:29 PM »

I agree. and it only gets better. SHe left me a very tearful voicemail saying her transmission blew up today (this is the second one; already replaced once in this car) and that her DH called the mechanic and screamed at him, and now the mechanic wants to sue them (I'm guessing her DH also threatened to dispute the charge for the other work just done).

I am so livid right now I can't even see straight. one ahs nothing to do with the other. I am pretty sure the car was on its last legs anyway, and pouring money into it, i.e. new tires etc. was not a smart thing to do. But again, he's cheap so buying a new one wasn't an option, at least not for him.

So I don't know how this will all play out. I am embarassed for the way they treated my mechanic, who has been nothing but good to me, and the fact he's acting like such a childish a**, when he clearly knows nothing about cars etc.

I have a sinking feeling she's just going to be left without a car.  What a jerk!

nuit93

« Reply #11256 on: March 13, 2013, 01:51:36 PM »

Your poor friend!  I'm so angry at her DH right now and I don't even know these people.

As someone who has driven her share of beaters...sometimes it really is a better deal to take out a car loan than it is to keep pouring money into an older vehicle!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11257 on: March 13, 2013, 01:55:08 PM »
The part that worries me is that he throws such a fit about his wife and children needing medical care.  I get that it can get expensive, especially with office visit copays, scripts and especially ER or urgent care visits.  But so long as she's not dragging them in for a hangnail or every bump and scrape (provided no one's a hemophiliac of course) and I don't get that impression, it's worth sucking it up and shelling out the dough.

Their health is more important than his bank account.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11258 on: March 13, 2013, 02:53:04 PM »
The part that worries me is that he throws such a fit about his wife and children needing medical care.  I get that it can get expensive, especially with office visit copays, scripts and especially ER or urgent care visits.  But so long as she's not dragging them in for a hangnail or every bump and scrape (provided no one's a hemophiliac of course) and I don't get that impression, it's worth sucking it up and shelling out the dough.

Don't worry, she tells him too bad, we are going, and that's that. She doens't not go because he says so. If she feels she or their son needs to go, they go. And she lets him screech about it. She is no shrinking violet, but lets him have it when he's being an idiot.

As far as the car, she also works, and needs one, so she won't be left without one. They can also borrow her BILs (he lives overseas teaching English for now) and they are going to get a new one.  but he apparently was quite nasty to the mechanic. I told her I was quite honestly angry at him that he went off of them; they they are nice people and do not deserve his tirade. which is pretty much waht it was. A nasty childish tirade.

I'd also be willing to bet that ANY other mechanic who looked at it would say one had nothing to do with the other, esp since the tranny had already been replaced once. the car was on its last legs, but he was convinced they could keep it going a little longer, and lost that bet.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11259 on: March 13, 2013, 03:09:36 PM »

Don't worry, she tells him too bad, we are going, and that's that. She doens't not go because he says so. If she feels she or their son needs to go, they go. And she lets him screech about it. She is no shrinking violet, but lets him have it when he's being an idiot.

As far as the car, she also works, and needs one, so she won't be left without one. They can also borrow her BILs (he lives overseas teaching English for now) and they are going to get a new one.  but he apparently was quite nasty to the mechanic. I told her I was quite honestly angry at him that he went off of them; they they are nice people and do not deserve his tirade. which is pretty much waht it was. A nasty childish tirade.

I'd also be willing to bet that ANY other mechanic who looked at it would say one had nothing to do with the other, esp since the tranny had already been replaced once. the car was on its last legs, but he was convinced they could keep it going a little longer, and lost that bet.

Good, glad to hear she is willing to stand up to him and I would be annoyed with him too!

Shalamar

« Reply #11260 on: March 13, 2013, 03:38:24 PM »
This is a 13 year old boy, not some circus side show exhibit!

mmswm, when my daughter was three, she got Henoch Schonlein Purpura.   We freaked out because she was covered in large purple blotches - we didn't know if this was fatal, or nothing to be worried about, or something in between.  When we brought her to the hospital, it turned out that HSP was rare enough that the doctors were very excited to see her.  I'll never forget seeing a gang of them grouped around my poor frightened little girl.

Most doctors that I've met are awesome, but every so often, we meet the kind that forget that their patients are people.  In this case, a very small scared person.

Cami

« Reply #11261 on: March 13, 2013, 03:42:05 PM »

This friend needs to think long and hard about the lessons her child will be learning by growing up in this fashion. My father remembered until the end of his life the moment when he was a little boy, lying on the living room floor writhing in pain due to appendicitis and his father first insisted upon the doctor telling him the full cost and then trying to dicker the doctor's price down. My father always remembered being in excruciating pain while his father argued with the doctor over ten bucks. That told my father just where he stood in the priority list and it was not high up.  (I truly believe one reason my father was so self-absorbed and greedy was because he learned it from his own father and also because, out of sheer survival, he learned he had to grab whatever he could when he could because he could not rely on his parent to take care of him.) I should note that my grandfather had PLENTY of money, he just hated to spend it. They lived as if they were dirt poor, when in fact they were rolling in money.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 03:44:19 PM by Cami »

Sebastienne

« Reply #11262 on: March 13, 2013, 03:45:04 PM »
When I was in college, I came down with "the best case of scarlet fever" the ER docs had ever seen. I was an extremely popular patient at the teaching hospital, since most of the doctors had never encountered scarlet fever in person. I was so out of it (and understanding enough) that I didn't really mind or even notice--but I can totally see how it would be disconcerting.   

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #11263 on: March 13, 2013, 04:15:55 PM »
A legendary tale of a famous miser:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hetty_Green

mmswm

« Reply #11264 on: March 13, 2013, 05:01:19 PM »
This is a 13 year old boy, not some circus side show exhibit!

mmswm, when my daughter was three, she got Henoch Schonlein Purpura.   We freaked out because she was covered in large purple blotches - we didn't know if this was fatal, or nothing to be worried about, or something in between.  When we brought her to the hospital, it turned out that HSP was rare enough that the doctors were very excited to see her.  I'll never forget seeing a gang of them grouped around my poor frightened little girl.

Most doctors that I've met are awesome, but every so often, we meet the kind that forget that their patients are people.  In this case, a very small scared person.

Oh, wow.  How awful that must have been for her!  Thankfully my boys didn't have any issues requiring hospitalization until they were a little bit older and could understand that the condition they had was very interesting to doctors because they don't see it that often.  My older son has a bit more of a sense of humor about it, but still gets irritated from time to time.  Also my boys know what's wrong, so while there might be a little bit of fear about surgery and such, the "I don't know what's wrong with me" fear isn't that.  Your daughter must have been terrified not knowing what was wrong and then to have all those people around her without really understanding what was going on had to be horrible.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)