Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1750681 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #11325 on: March 22, 2013, 03:40:43 PM »
I recently remembered a fragrance I wore back in high school, Sun Moon and Stars that apparently is still made and is available on the websites of Target and Kohl's but not in their stores, at least not around here.  And as they have apparently reformulated it and the new formula has mixed reviews, I'm hesitant to buy a new bottle until I can sample it and know for sure that I'll like it.

Why can't perfumers leave a good fragrance alone? If it ain't broke and people like it, don't change it!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11326 on: March 22, 2013, 03:49:00 PM »
At the moment I've very annoyed by things that don't follow the "righty-tighty, lefty-loosey" rule. I had to shut off the water to our place yesterday and spent a good deal of time and effort turning the valve the wrong way.

on that same note, in my mom' new house every single faucet was backwards. It was new construction, and you turned on teh hot, and got cold, in every room. kitchen sink, shower, bathtub, etc.

mmswm

« Reply #11327 on: March 24, 2013, 09:15:36 AM »
Gaaaaaa.  I know I should be more grateful and stuff, but my car is still my car.  I think I deserve at least the pretense of being asked if it's okay to borrow it. My father woke me up this morning with a "where's your keys?"  I don't have a problem with him using my car.  Actually, considering that my car gets three times the gas mileage as his truck, and my mother's car is currently broken (waiting on a part that's on back order), and I'm living here rent free, I have been pretty liberal with allowing him to use my car any time he wants.  My car is a stick shift and my mother is physically unable to drive it (she knows how, but her bad ankle can't handle it). Anyway, is it to much for me to want him to ask to use my car instead of simply demanding the keys?  I'm not going to tell him no unless I have an appointment, but still.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11328 on: March 24, 2013, 10:14:43 AM »
Gaaaaaa.  I know I should be more grateful and stuff, but my car is still my car.  I think I deserve at least the pretense of being asked if it's okay to borrow it. My father woke me up this morning with a "where's your keys?"  I don't have a problem with him using my car.  Actually, considering that my car gets three times the gas mileage as his truck, and my mother's car is currently broken (waiting on a part that's on back order), and I'm living here rent free, I have been pretty liberal with allowing him to use my car any time he wants.  My car is a stick shift and my mother is physically unable to drive it (she knows how, but her bad ankle can't handle it). Anyway, is it to much for me to want him to ask to use my car instead of simply demanding the keys?  I'm not going to tell him no unless I have an appointment, but still.

That is rude and thoughtless. We have 2 cars for the 2 of us - a small one for around town and a minivan that is more comfortable for longer trips or holds more cargo. We are equal owners and drivers and yet we still tell each other if we are taking one of them and for how long, "Unless you need it now." (And we don't have kids around who are recovering from surgery or who may have frequent appointments that we haven't talked about.)

So, yes, I agree with you and understand your underlying guilt about "should be more grateful".

Adelaide

« Reply #11329 on: March 24, 2013, 11:10:30 AM »
I've never felt so pressured into participating in school events as I do in law school. Here, things like moot court and law review will actually influence your chances of getting a job, so I kind of understand it, but the pressure is uniform. So if I was a yes-man, I'd be on law review, moot court, getting a dual degree, doing an externship, joining a "think-tank" club, all while learning a different language. And, oh yeah, going to law school. But no one in any of these organizations is willing to admit that their organization is right for a certain group of people. That you have to tailor your participation to fit your needs, and that these organizations/groups are for people interested in a certain type of law or who want to cultivate a certain type of skill. It's always "yes". They always have a long list of reasons why you should join, but never any for why you shouldn't.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #11330 on: March 24, 2013, 12:43:20 PM »
I think I've complained about this before but...here goes:

Fire/smoke detector low battery warnings. 

Why do they ALWAYS start at night?  I'm not exaggerating to say that the last 3-4 times I've had the warning go off, it begins at night.  Why can't I walk in from work and the warning is beeping then?  When it is convenient?  When I have the energy to pull out the step ladder and change the battery?

Change the batteries when you change your clocks, instead of waiting until the batteries actually go out.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #11331 on: March 24, 2013, 02:24:15 PM »

Why do they ALWAYS start at night?  I'm not exaggerating to say that the last 3-4 times I've had the warning go off, it begins at night.  Why can't I walk in from work and the warning is beeping then?  When it is convenient?  When I have the energy to pull out the step ladder and change the battery?

Change the batteries when you change your clocks, instead of waiting until the batteries actually go out.

when do you change your clocks? I've had my big living room clock up and with the same batteries since we moved in over 2 years ago
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #11332 on: March 24, 2013, 02:28:24 PM »

when do you change your clocks? I've had my big living room clock up and with the same batteries since we moved in over 2 years ago

The clocks are "changed" every ~6 months because of Daylight Savings and Standard Time. I think that's what kherbert meant.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #11333 on: March 24, 2013, 02:34:16 PM »

The clocks are "changed" every ~6 months because of Daylight Savings and Standard Time. I think that's what kherbert meant.

Oh, duh. Sorry, I'm in AZ and I've never dealt with DST.
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #11334 on: March 24, 2013, 03:14:00 PM »

Switching from daylight savings time and back.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

mmswm

« Reply #11335 on: March 26, 2013, 08:21:14 PM »
Grocery store rant:

WIC is a wonderful program, but really with all of today's available technology, could they not come up with something more efficient for their clients to use in the grocery stores?  I hate getting stuck behind somebody using one or more WIC vouchers because it takes so very long for even the fastest cashiers to process.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #11336 on: March 26, 2013, 08:51:06 PM »
Being asked if I'm cold or where is my jacket? I understand why people do this because, after all, I am wearing a tshirt and sandals when it's 20F out. However, I'm not shivering or in anyway acting cold, so please don't ask. What's worse is when they Perdue the jacket question after I explain I'm not cold.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Library Dragon

« Reply #11337 on: March 26, 2013, 09:02:41 PM »
Being asked if I'm cold or where is my jacket? I understand why people do this because, after all, I am wearing a tshirt and sandals when it's 20F out. However, I'm not shivering or in anyway acting cold, so please don't ask. What's worse is when they Perdue the jacket question after I explain I'm not cold.

DH is that you?   ;D

The joke is you know it's a special occasion or sub 0 when DH wears socks with his Birkies.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

mmswm

« Reply #11338 on: March 26, 2013, 09:05:25 PM »

DH is that you?   ;D

The joke is you know it's a special occasion or sub 0 when DH wears socks with his Birkies.

Y'all must be somehow related to my son.  When we lived in ND, he wore shorts and t-shirts until it was well under freezing.  If it was really cold he'd put on socks and a long sleeved t-shirt.  I could convince him to wear a snow suit only when we were going skiing or sledding.  He put his snow suit on over his shorts.  *sigh*

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #11339 on: March 26, 2013, 09:10:54 PM »

DH is that you?   ;D

Y'all must be somehow related to my son.  When we lived in ND, he wore shorts and t-shirts until it was well under freezing.  If it was really cold he'd put on socks and a long sleeved t-shirt.  I could convince him to wear a snow suit only when we were going skiing or sledding.  He put his snow suit on over his shorts.  *sigh*

We joke that it must be a special occasion if  wearing actual shoes (or I'm at work). I'd rather be in my bare feet, actually.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.