Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1782122 times)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #11355 on: March 27, 2013, 09:35:14 PM »
When I tell people I'm in Minnesota, and they try to imitate the accent from Fargo, despite the fact that I have no such accent!  I know some areas of the state have more of an accent that the Twin Cities area, but I've never heard anyone sound like they belong in that movie. 

In addition, for the love of Pete, if I tell you (on the phone/FB/whatever) that I'm happy it got up to 40 degrees Farenheit today, please don't respond by telling me that you consider below X temperature to be evil/horrible/terrible and ask how I can stand it.  I promise to not insult where you live (too hot, too buggy, no seasonal change, whatever I can think of) if you don't insult where I live. 

Mental Magpie, I grew up in Colorado, and I never understood cold til I moved to a state with high humidity.  20 degrees and 80 percent humidity is sooo much worse than 20 degrees and dry! *brrr*

I call humid cold "Bone Cold"; it gets you into the bones them freezes you from the inside. I moved here in my teens; I didn't know there were places without humidity until I had a 100+F summer and thought it was only on the 80s!
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

GreenHall

« Reply #11356 on: March 28, 2013, 08:14:43 AM »
Mental Magpie, I grew up in Colorado, and I never understood cold til I moved to a state with high humidity.  20 degrees and 80 percent humidity is sooo much worse than 20 degrees and dry! *brrr*
Thank you for confirming my belief.  Yes, I know in Florida it does not get down to temperatures that other places experience on a regular basis.  But in North Florida it get cold, and we generally have just as much humidity, so it soaks into you. 

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #11357 on: March 28, 2013, 09:07:56 AM »
I thought it was the oppositeŚmore humidity is supposed to make it feel less cold (or, more warm, however you want to look at it).

I know when it is 60░F and 30% humidity in my bedroom at night (a common occurrence with our heater on, since we keep the thermostat low), it seems much colder than when we have the humidifier running to bring it up to about 50%, same temp.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11358 on: March 28, 2013, 10:38:52 AM »
As in many things, African-American terms work in NYC. 

Because there is a lot of water around us it isn't unusual to experience humid cold with fairly high winds.  When this happens, we say that 'Hawk is out'. 

Can you think of anything better to describe that type of weather? 

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #11359 on: March 28, 2013, 05:40:18 PM »
I thought it was the oppositeŚmore humidity is supposed to make it feel less cold (or, more warm, however you want to look at it).

I know when it is 60░F and 30% humidity in my bedroom at night (a common occurrence with our heater on, since we keep the thermostat low), it seems much colder than when we have the humidifier running to bring it up to about 50%, same temp.

That's odd.  I've always experienced more humidity as being colder.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11360 on: March 28, 2013, 06:44:38 PM »

Yes.  I've felt colder at 20oF in humid Maryland than -40oF in central Alaska.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #11361 on: March 28, 2013, 11:44:17 PM »
Searching for flights on different airlines websites, specifying say early evening flights wanted, and only getting early MORNING flights on the schedule, if my times were flexible I wouldn't mind, but they are not, geez!

snoopygirl

• everybody loves an irish girl
« Reply #11362 on: March 29, 2013, 08:23:55 AM »
It annoys me that my favorite show (The Walking Dead) is on tonight but I already know what happens. We get it a few days in the UK so there were spoilers posted on facebook from American people. Several spoilers in fact. One seemed to be posted as soon as the show was done. In the age of record now watch later that didn't seem fair but I know people do post spoilers for things and it's their facebook they can post what they want. But man I wish I didn't know what happened.

ScubaGirl

« Reply #11363 on: March 29, 2013, 08:35:05 AM »
When people treat 2-way stops like 4-way stops.

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #11364 on: March 29, 2013, 09:28:35 AM »

Yes.  I've felt colder at 20oF in humid Maryland than -40oF in central Alaska.

Weird. I guess Iĺve never been in dry, bone-chilling cold. Maybe 60░ is above the threshold of making it feel colder vs. warmer.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #11365 on: March 29, 2013, 09:59:15 AM »
It annoys me that my favorite show (The Walking Dead) is on tonight but I already know what happens. We get it a few days in the UK so there were spoilers posted on facebook from American people. Several spoilers in fact. One seemed to be posted as soon as the show was done. In the age of record now watch later that didn't seem fair but I know people do post spoilers for things and it's their facebook they can post what they want. But man I wish I didn't know what happened.

That points to a minor irritation about the internet:   Needing to police your own behavior to avoid spoilers.

I participate on a novela blog where we post English-language episode synopses and discuss the episodes as they air here in the US.  We have an inflexible ban on spoilers.  The Mexican programs we get in prime time are usually four months behind Mexico, which means that there are spoilers on the internet.  I've had to warn other participants that there are spoilers on the Wikipedia pages and even on IMDB, which posts the unshown episode titles.  Those frequently contain spoilers.

MrTango

« Reply #11366 on: March 29, 2013, 10:25:11 AM »
When I tell people I'm in Minnesota, and they try to imitate the accent from Fargo, despite the fact that I have no such accent!  I know some areas of the state have more of an accent that the Twin Cities area, but I've never heard anyone sound like they belong in that movie. 

In addition, for the love of Pete, if I tell you (on the phone/FB/whatever) that I'm happy it got up to 40 degrees Farenheit today, please don't respond by telling me that you consider below X temperature to be evil/horrible/terrible and ask how I can stand it.  I promise to not insult where you live (too hot, too buggy, no seasonal change, whatever I can think of) if you don't insult where I live. 

I'm also a Minnesotan, and whenever friends from down south mention something about how cold it gets, I just remind them that the cold helps prevent scorpions, killer bees, and excessively large insects from living up here.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #11367 on: March 30, 2013, 03:18:33 PM »
That Popsicle brand popsicles come in a variety pack.  I wish they came in a single flavors pack as I really only like one flavor (orange).  I will eat the cherry flavor if I really want a popsicle.  I LOATHE the grape one.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #11368 on: March 30, 2013, 04:23:19 PM »
When the MTA does unannounced repairs and I get caught somewhere I could have postponed going to or moved the appointment.

DistantStar

« Reply #11369 on: March 30, 2013, 04:32:05 PM »
Humidity makes heat hotter and cold colder.  It's amazingly awful that way.  And I can safely say I've lived both in places with (among others, New Orleans) and without (Idaho).  I'll take without anytime!  I've been way chillier waiting for a Mardi Gras parade when it was in the upper 30sF in NOLA than I've been waiting for a bus up here at 15F.