News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 22, 2018, 11:22:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 5493231 times)

mmswm

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #11385 on: April 09, 2013, 03:39:22 PM »
I have to admit that I've occasionally used a third party bad guy, but in a slightly different context.  For example, I've told my kids that it's disrespectful to put their shoes on the couch, and that <couch owner> would be very unhappy, though it was very clear that any consequences for making my friend the couch owner unhappy would be doled out by me.  I think that last part is what makes the difference.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Carotte

« Reply #11386 on: April 09, 2013, 03:59:25 PM »
I have to admit that I've occasionally used a third party bad guy, but in a slightly different context.  For example, I've told my kids that it's disrespectful to put their shoes on the couch, and that <couch owner> would be very unhappy, though it was very clear that any consequences for making my friend the couch owner unhappy would be doled out by me.  I think that last part is what makes the difference.

That does make quite a difference, just like if the mom had said "I don't want you playing with the curtain, it's not nice and the doctor wouldn't like it if you played with her furniture".
She never used the I-you interaction, but the she-you, putting herself out of the picture. No surprise the kid would stop for 30 sec and start again.

TexasRanger

• Bondye Bon
« Reply #11387 on: April 09, 2013, 06:21:44 PM »
People who reply to my "for sale ads" on Craigslist and then vanish into thin air.

Example: Someone emails/texts/calls and says they have fallen in love with a certain goat and would love to come out and buy/look at said goat. He/She says they need to talk to their spouse/parent/child and that they will get in touch with me. I never hear from them again.

Whats even worse then those people, are the one's who actually set up a time to go come to my house and never appear. I will call/text/email them and never get a response.

Bourik swe pou chwal dekore ak dentel

kherbert05

• Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #11388 on: April 09, 2013, 08:04:14 PM »
That isn't using 3rd party. That is teaching empathy and respect for others.

I was in a pizza place a nice one without a playroom with 2 younger cousins once. They were elementary aged. The younger one, Sean, was playing up and being obnoxious.

Two officers came in and sat near us.

Basically I asked  Sean what police officers did and how he thought people treated them. Then I asked him what type of "neighbors" the officers would want in a restaurant. When I went to get the pizza from the counter - Sean got his sister to go to the officers table with him and he apologized - no prompting on my part. When I went to get refills one of the officers came and thanked me for not making them the bad guy. Honestly I would have used any other customer to make the point. If no other customer then the staff. The fact that it was police officers was just a lucky bonus for me - because I knew Sean saw them as heroes.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Calistoga

« Reply #11389 on: April 09, 2013, 08:22:49 PM »
Dust jackets.

They annoy me so...so...much.

Luci

« Reply #11390 on: April 09, 2013, 08:41:47 PM »
Dust jackets.

They annoy me so...so...much.

Didn't you mention that in the reading/book peeves?

Just throw them out.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #11391 on: April 09, 2013, 08:44:03 PM »
Ice cream trucks.

Ice.  Cream.  Trucks.

The noise, the heat, the kids screaming for ice cream, the warbly off-tone "music" that seems to invariably be a Christmas carol for some silly reason.  That they always always ALWAYS idle RIGHT outside and leave the "music" going full tilt for ten minutes while the kid decides if he wants a vanilla cone with chocolate sprinkles or a chocolate cone or maybe a sundae and I'm inside with the music cutting through my head like a diamond drill bit and they won't shut it off they never shut it off why won't they shut it off and they finally move on and THE MUSIC IS IN MY HEAD NOW.

So, ice cream trucks.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #11392 on: April 09, 2013, 09:08:00 PM »
Ice cream trucks.

Ice.  Cream.  Trucks.

The noise, the heat, the kids screaming for ice cream, the warbly off-tone "music" that seems to invariably be a Christmas carol for some silly reason.  That they always always ALWAYS idle RIGHT outside and leave the "music" going full tilt for ten minutes while the kid decides if he wants a vanilla cone with chocolate sprinkles or a chocolate cone or maybe a sundae and I'm inside with the music cutting through my head like a diamond drill bit and they won't shut it off they never shut it off why won't they shut it off and they finally move on and THE MUSIC IS IN MY HEAD NOW.

So, ice cream trucks.

There's one that comes to my complex that plays "La Cucuracha" which I think is hysterical. The last thing you want in your ice cream truck is cockroaches!

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #11393 on: April 10, 2013, 02:42:43 AM »
And another occurrence of "I won't take no for an answer, and I will be sneaky about getting you to cooperate".  A friend asked me if I wanted to join something similar to fantasy football (which I have no idea what the appeal is), and I gave the standard thanks-anyway-but-no-thanks response.  She seemed to accept that.  She asked my opinion for her "team", and since I had a very limited knowledge I didn't have much of an opinion. 

A while later, she was dropping hints about how fun it would be.  When I said, "I'm not doing it, but I'd be interested to know how it turns out.", I got an email invitation from her not a full minute later, which is about when I realized that my "no" was interpreted as "keep asking me, and I'll do it".  I repeated myself, and she said she understood.

Just now, she said she entered her mother, and said, "Now you must help me to select her crew, please." (Um...I must?!  :o  What part of "NO" don't you understand?  >:() and she rattled off a bunch of names.  I picked up my jaw, counted to ten, and asked why her mother doesn't select her own crew.  Turns out her mother is sleeping, and doesn't know she entered her.  I finally told her that it really doesn't grab me, and I anticipate a few more "requests" before she finally gets it.

It just bugs the living ehell out of me when I make a choice, and people try to circumvent it. 

AuntieA

• Now a great-Auntie x2!
« Reply #11394 on: April 10, 2013, 03:02:04 AM »
The iPhone ad with the wrong fricking answer! In one segment, the equation proposed is the square root of [(seven to the third power minus nineteen) divided by four]. The answer, as I have worked out multiple times, is nine. The ad says the answer is 4.5. Why????? Do they think we're all idiots?
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #11395 on: April 10, 2013, 09:53:57 AM »
People who refer to things incorrectly. there is a FB page I sort of follow; a fashion page, where the owner and others post their outfits and show how to accessorize, and show off your bargains etc.

The owner of the page constantly refers to her stuff as "Jones of NY" when its simply Jones NY. I know its minor but it drives me batty every time I see her post that.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #11396 on: April 10, 2013, 09:58:46 AM »
I get 9 as well.  The heck?

Agreed.

7 cubed is 343.  Subtract 19, that gives you 324.  Divide by 4, that gives you 81.  Which (as anyone who had multiplication tables drilled into them can tell you) is 9 squared, so the square root of 81 is 9.

I SEE NOW!  You went 7 cubed, minus 19, square rooted, divided by 4.  When it's 7 cubed, minus 19, divided by four, square rooted!

4.5 would be the answer for [The square root of (seven to the third power minus nineteen)] divided by four.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 10:01:05 AM by Diane AKA Traska »

Twik

« Reply #11397 on: April 10, 2013, 10:00:08 AM »
The iPhone ad with the wrong fricking answer! In one segment, the equation proposed is the square root of [(seven to the third power minus nineteen) divided by four]. The answer, as I have worked out multiple times, is nine. The ad says the answer is 4.5. Why????? Do they think we're all idiots?

I suspect the answer was originally supposed to be 4.5, and someone changed the soundtrack, then forgot to update the rest of it. It's very difficult to remember how one change in a program can have far-reaching effects.
"The sky's the limit. Your sky. Your limit. Now, let's dance!"

mmswm

« Reply #11398 on: April 10, 2013, 10:36:42 AM »
Depends on if the 4 is inside or outside of the square root operation, as Diane mentioned.  I've never seen the commercial, so I don't know if there's some quirk in the font that would make it look one way when it should be another, or if Apple just got the order of operations wrong.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #11399 on: April 10, 2013, 10:57:58 AM »
People who refer to things incorrectly. there is a FB page I sort of follow; a fashion page, where the owner and others post their outfits and show how to accessorize, and show off your bargains etc.

The owner of the page constantly refers to her stuff as "Jones of NY" when its simply Jones NY. I know its minor but it drives me batty every time I see her post that.

Iím with you on that. I follow a historical fashion Tumblr, and sometimes the poster says things that are borderline incorrect in that way that after being repeated and reblogged eventually creates myths and "facts" that arenít actually true (but are close to). She is up front about not having any background with historical fashion aside from liking all the pretty things, but she still answers plenty of asks as if sheís an expert, and the people doing the asking obviously donít have the background to understand how the answer is wrong (and may not have followed long enough to see the sporadic "I havenít actually studied any of this, I just like pretty things" posts.

And don't get me wrongóIím also not an expert, but I have read enough reliable sources to see glaring issues with her answers. I can only imagine what is going through the head of actual experts who see stuff like that.