Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1618984 times)

Carotte

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #11505 on: April 11, 2013, 04:41:35 PM »
Whow, talk about tact! Those people would get quite a glare from me, and evil me would be all "what's wrong with you?"

mmswm

« Reply #11506 on: April 11, 2013, 04:43:03 PM »
Unfortunately, about half the people I had to talk to today didn't stop there.  Their next question was "what's wrong with him?"

Snarky says: "He's a carrier for a horrible condition... everyone who comes into contact with him loses function of their cerebral-to-vocal filtration!"

Oh, my goodness, I laughed so hard at that comment that I nearly spit out my soda.  I would be very tempted to use that line some days, and today is one of those days!
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

diesel_darlin

« Reply #11507 on: April 11, 2013, 05:03:04 PM »
Unfortunately, about half the people I had to talk to today didn't stop there.  Their next question was "what's wrong with him?"

Snarky says: "He's a carrier for a horrible condition... everyone who comes into contact with him loses function of their cerebral-to-vocal filtration!"

BAHAHAHAH  ;D

Shalamar

« Reply #11508 on: April 11, 2013, 06:20:58 PM »
I was grocery shopping once with my younger daughter, who was only a few weeks old at the time.  I did my shopping as fast as I could, but I couldn't quite get it all done before my baby had had enough and started to cry at the checkout.  Unfortunately, by the time it was my turn to pay, she was out-and-out screaming her head off.  The cashier gave me a suspicious look and said "What's wrong with her?"   

The response I gave was a frosty "She's a BABY.  They get tired, hungry and cranky, just like adults."

The response I wanted to give was "Oh, I've been beating the tar out of her every time you're not looking."

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #11509 on: April 11, 2013, 07:30:43 PM »
People who reply to my "for sale ads" on Craigslist and then vanish into thin air.

Example: Someone emails/texts/calls and says they have fallen in love with a certain goat and would love to come out and buy/look at said goat. He/She says they need to talk to their spouse/parent/child and that they will get in touch with me. I never hear from them again.

Whats even worse then those people, are the one's who actually set up a time to go come to my house and never appear. I will call/text/email them and never get a response.

I have much sympathy for your situation, yet I'm happy to know I'm not the only one who experiences this sort of thing. I do reptile and amphibian rescue and rehab, so every season I end up looking for homes for critters who are in good health but were abandoned or wandered off from their original homes. I dread doing it because of the sort of situations you describe.

Last season's star was a woman who was just so excited about adopting an aquatic turtle and made arrangements to meet my husband with the turtle at a specified location and time. I confirmed the details with her several times because it was an hour's drive for my husband and she enthusiastically agreed - then didn't show, meaning my husband made a two-hour round-trip drive with the turtle for nothing. Then she had the nerve to call and ask if he could meet her the next day instead. I guess the call was a plus, actually, as most people I never hear from again.

Another favorite was the family who really, really wanted a Desert tortoise. I agreed to deliver the tortoise to their place but when I arrived, they didn't answer the door or the phone. I knew they were home, too, because I heard them talking before I knocked on the door.

I need to start finding homes for 39 turtles and tortoises starting next week. Not looking forward to it.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11510 on: April 11, 2013, 08:05:12 PM »
I was grocery shopping once with my younger daughter, who was only a few weeks old at the time.  I did my shopping as fast as I could, but I couldn't quite get it all done before my baby had had enough and started to cry at the checkout.  Unfortunately, by the time it was my turn to pay, she was out-and-out screaming her head off.  The cashier gave me a suspicious look and said "What's wrong with her?"   

The response I gave was a frosty "She's a BABY.  They get tired, hungry and cranky, just like adults."

The response I wanted to give was "Oh, I've been beating the tar out of her every time you're not looking."

You have my sympathy.  I haven't gotten much public criticism wrt how I dress or deal with piratebabe but that's mainly cause he's an angel in public and at most only gets mildly cranky if he's tired.   But when the older two were toddlers it got annoying.  We lived in S. California at the time which at it's coldest is usually around 40 degrees at night, at least where we were in Oceanside. 

I took oldest son to the grocery store in the fall which meant it was a nippy 65 degrees.  He was between 6-12 months and I hadn't bothered with socks as he was in that "lets' take my socks off!" phase and I didn't feel like losing them. 

One lady came up to us, grabbed his little feet and said "his feet are FREEZING! Why doesn't he have socks, he'll catch cold!"  ::)  His feet were NOT freezing.  Cool, yes, and he was happy as a clam.  Like I said, 65 degrees. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

random numbers

« Reply #11511 on: April 12, 2013, 12:56:11 AM »
Women's shoes. Fashionable, office and maybe out after work shoes. I need a new black pair at the moment.

I have about six pairs of dress up shoes, two open toed. All but one pair are approaching a decade old. This isn't because I wouldn't like more, oh no. This is because I'm a stubby footed person living in a pointy toe shoe world. I'm clumsy enough without up to three inches of empty shoe at the front of my feet.

Four of the six previously mentioned pairs are Harley Davidson. I just bought two more pairs from online hoping one pair would fit. Alas, HD has succumbed to the pointy toe peer pressure. I have to send both back.

Where are the shoes for stubby feet? Surely, I'm not the only one who needs them? Or do most women really have pointy feet?

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #11512 on: April 12, 2013, 01:23:45 AM »
Got my crochet project?  Check.  Got my extra balls of yarn?  Check.  Got my scissors and yarn needle?  Checkity-check.  I sit down, get all settled, and a yarn ball rolls off my lap and roll-bounces just out of reach.  I get up to retrieve it, and my crochet hook falls out of my work with a loud "Clang!".  Crochet is only "relaxing" when the materials decide to behave themselves.  ;D

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #11513 on: April 12, 2013, 03:05:56 PM »
People who think it's okay to ask about people's medical conditions.  Youngest DS is having a bad day today, and is using his wheelchair instead of his cane or walker.  I had several errands to run and he had to come with me. Now, this child is a cute kid.  He's the reason why I'm "cute-proof".  Everybody comments about how cute he is.  If that's where they stopped, then that would be fine.  Unfortunately, about half the people I had to talk to today didn't stop there.  Their next question was "what's wrong with him?"

REALLY????? Were you raised in a barn?  I am under no obligation to discuss my child's medical history with you.  Well, most of the time.  One of the errands was the Social Security administration, and "what's wrong with him" was the entire point of that visit, so that office gets a pass, but everybody else can go jump off a bridge.  Grump.

OK...I read this twice and am still trying to process it. Do these people ask "What's wrong with him" when your kid is right there with you and can hear them asking that question? Because it's bad enough that they're asking in the first place, but if they're asking right in front of him, then  >:(10
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

mmswm

« Reply #11514 on: April 12, 2013, 03:33:03 PM »
People who think it's okay to ask about people's medical conditions.  Youngest DS is having a bad day today, and is using his wheelchair instead of his cane or walker.  I had several errands to run and he had to come with me. Now, this child is a cute kid.  He's the reason why I'm "cute-proof".  Everybody comments about how cute he is.  If that's where they stopped, then that would be fine.  Unfortunately, about half the people I had to talk to today didn't stop there.  Their next question was "what's wrong with him?"

REALLY????? Were you raised in a barn?  I am under no obligation to discuss my child's medical history with you.  Well, most of the time.  One of the errands was the Social Security administration, and "what's wrong with him" was the entire point of that visit, so that office gets a pass, but everybody else can go jump off a bridge.  Grump.

OK...I read this twice and am still trying to process it. Do these people ask "What's wrong with him" when your kid is right there with you and can hear them asking that question? Because it's bad enough that they're asking in the first place, but if they're asking right in front of him, then  >:(10

Yes, they do.  Now, some people get a little bit of a pass, as there's a language barrier involved.  I live in a city with a large immigrant population, and many, many immigrants are just starting to learn English.  If I can tell the abruptness is due to language issues, then I'm only mildly annoyed, since really it's rude to ask about it at all. Sorry, I know sometimes I harp on certain things, but I get so angry on behalf of my son, and I really need to vent somewhere. I really just wish people would see "cute kid" and nothing more.  Or at least pretend not to notice there's something "different".

Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11515 on: April 12, 2013, 03:42:40 PM »
Iíve never commented or asked about anyone who had an obvious disability, physical or otherwise. Itís just rude. I just treat them like I do anyone else, esp at work. Iíve had customers come in in wheelchairs, scooters, with canes and walkers, and the only thing I will do for them is make sure I put them in the larger, accessible dressing room. And move things so they can maneuver around the store. and so on. But I donít make a big deal out of it at all. We have one customer who is a little person (and I hope Iím using the correct term) who I sort of keep an eye out for, in case she needs help getting something down from a hook or shelf. But other than that, nothing. I give all my customers the same service, regardless.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #11516 on: April 12, 2013, 06:13:44 PM »
Women's shoes. Fashionable, office and maybe out after work shoes. I need a new black pair at the moment.

I have about six pairs of dress up shoes, two open toed. All but one pair are approaching a decade old. This isn't because I wouldn't like more, oh no. This is because I'm a stubby footed person living in a pointy toe shoe world. I'm clumsy enough without up to three inches of empty shoe at the front of my feet.

Four of the six previously mentioned pairs are Harley Davidson. I just bought two more pairs from online hoping one pair would fit. Alas, HD has succumbed to the pointy toe peer pressure. I have to send both back.

Where are the shoes for stubby feet? Surely, I'm not the only one who needs them? Or do most women really have pointy feet?

It sounds like you're looking for better quality than what they generally have, but Kohl's has plenty of non-pointy shoes. It's kind of funny you posted this because the ones i got are so non-pointy they're almost too square. Almost.  But not.
Ang joy for me because they were the first ones i saw, first ones i tried on, they fit perfectly, and when i got to the register they were on sale. I hate the pointy toe.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #11517 on: April 12, 2013, 06:29:43 PM »
I now refuse to be the one to place the order to a particular pizza place because they're always rude over the phone.  Tonight was my last time doing it, and I'm sticking to it.  >:(

The person who picked up was a man whom I've never talked to before, and his English wasn't good at all (not a shot, I promise).  I couldn't understand him, and he couldn't understand me.  I think he must be new.  He passed the phone over to the woman who usually answers, and the conversation was as follows...

Her: *without a hello* What was it?
Me:  :o Um...the order or the address?
Her: *sounding annoyed* The address. *after I give it* And the phone number? *I give that, too* It'll be about 45 minutes. *hangs up*
Me:  >:( *dials again to confirm the order*
Her: Hello, *place's name*.
Me: Hi, sorry, it's me again.  I just wanted to make sure the order was correct, because there was-- *doesn't get to finish*
Her: *rattles off the order, which is only half-correct*
Me: Actually, only the first half of it is right, I--
Her: *exasperated now* What do you want, then?
Me: *takes a deep breath and tells her, then quickly adds before she can hang up again* And I just need the total, please.
Her: Just a minute. *adds it up, then gives it to me with a snotty-sounding* Is that it?
Me: Yeah, that's it.  Thank you very--
Her: Yeah. *hangs up*

The food there is very good, or we wouldn't continue to order from there.  The woman always sounds angry, never gives you your total, and acts like we're wasting her time just by calling.  The delivery people are always really nice; them and the food are the place's only saving grace.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11518 on: April 12, 2013, 06:45:58 PM »
I now refuse to be the one to place the order to a particular pizza place because they're always rude over the phone.  Tonight was my last time doing it, and I'm sticking to it.  >:(

The person who picked up was a man whom I've never talked to before, and his English wasn't good at all (not a shot, I promise).  I couldn't understand him, and he couldn't understand me.  I think he must be new.  He passed the phone over to the woman who usually answers, and the conversation was as follows...

Her: *without a hello* What was it?
Me:  :o Um...the order or the address?
Her: *sounding annoyed* The address. *after I give it* And the phone number? *I give that, too* It'll be about 45 minutes. *hangs up*
Me:  >:( *dials again to confirm the order*
Her: Hello, *place's name*.
Me: Hi, sorry, it's me again.  I just wanted to make sure the order was correct, because there was-- *doesn't get to finish*
Her: *rattles off the order, which is only half-correct*
Me: Actually, only the first half of it is right, I--
Her: *exasperated now* What do you want, then?
Me: *takes a deep breath and tells her, then quickly adds before she can hang up again* And I just need the total, please.
Her: Just a minute. *adds it up, then gives it to me with a snotty-sounding* Is that it?
Me: Yeah, that's it.  Thank you very--
Her: Yeah. *hangs up*

The food there is very good, or we wouldn't continue to order from there.  The woman always sounds angry, never gives you your total, and acts like we're wasting her time just by calling.  The delivery people are always really nice; them and the food are the place's only saving grace.

Maybe I'm not enough of a foodie, but NO food is good enough for that kind of treatment.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #11519 on: April 12, 2013, 07:03:24 PM »
It is if someone else orders.  :P  Seriously, though, I tend to agree.  On the flip-side, they did deliver the correct order.