Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1693850 times)

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #11595 on: April 22, 2013, 09:30:17 AM »
Picking new kitty names.  We might have a new kitty on our hands as he wandered into our yard yesterday and would not leave.  He has no tags, and from what I can tell is not fixed either.  I'm taking him to the vet in a couple hours to get him checked out. 

I almost named him McGonagall because he does have the look of her animagus but then realized that it was indeed a he and decided on Albus instead.   All are agreed except for middle pirate who wants to name him "stripes." Or anything but Albus and will not except that he's been outvoted.  I told him give the cat a nickname if he dislikes the name Albus that much but he will not let it go. 

"It's insulting to Dumbledore!" I don't think Dumbledore cares, dear.
"Why can't we go with an alcohol name like the rest of our cats?"  The first two are Bailey and Brandy, but the third is Sherlock because we couldn't agree on any male sounding alcohol names that I suggested. (Guinness, Capt. Morgan) and the cat looks like he has a mustache.  And when I suggested Guinness and Capt. Morgan for this cat they were shot down. 

Since majority rules, the cat's name is Albus and if middle pirate doesn't like it, well tough.
Tell him can pick from Percival Wulfric or Brian if he doesn't like Albus.  >:D >:D >:D

LOL! I actually did tell him that and he didn't like that.  Mind you this child can't come up with a name on his own other than "stripes".   ::)  After having a Bailey, Brandy and Sherlock, I just cannot do a simple and uncreative name like "stripes."
How about Bill Murray?
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #11596 on: April 22, 2013, 09:38:12 AM »
No, no, FRANCIS.  Though if he's a big cat, he has to be Sgt Hulka.   >:D

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #11597 on: April 22, 2013, 09:39:30 AM »
I had something really good to put here, but I fogot what is was.   :P
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11598 on: April 22, 2013, 09:53:47 AM »
Picking new kitty names.  We might have a new kitty on our hands as he wandered into our yard yesterday and would not leave.  He has no tags, and from what I can tell is not fixed either.  I'm taking him to the vet in a couple hours to get him checked out. 

I almost named him McGonagall because he does have the look of her animagus but then realized that it was indeed a he and decided on Albus instead.   All are agreed except for middle pirate who wants to name him "stripes." Or anything but Albus and will not except that he's been outvoted.  I told him give the cat a nickname if he dislikes the name Albus that much but he will not let it go. 

"It's insulting to Dumbledore!" I don't think Dumbledore cares, dear.
"Why can't we go with an alcohol name like the rest of our cats?"  The first two are Bailey and Brandy, but the third is Sherlock because we couldn't agree on any male sounding alcohol names that I suggested. (Guinness, Capt. Morgan) and the cat looks like he has a mustache.  And when I suggested Guinness and Capt. Morgan for this cat they were shot down. 

Since majority rules, the cat's name is Albus and if middle pirate doesn't like it, well tough.
Tell him can pick from Percival Wulfric or Brian if he doesn't like Albus.  >:D >:D >:D

LOL! I actually did tell him that and he didn't like that.  Mind you this child can't come up with a name on his own other than "stripes".   ::)  After having a Bailey, Brandy and Sherlock, I just cannot do a simple and uncreative name like "stripes."
How about Bill Murray?

The child doesn't really even know who Bill Murray is and hasn't seen stripes yet.

He's a kitten, I think, as he's rather small. (another argument from the child against the name Albus: "But Dumbledore was OLD!" me: He was a kid once.) Very affectionate too.  Pirateboy2 complained he couldn't sleep well because Albus kept kneading him.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #11599 on: April 22, 2013, 10:19:19 AM »
I was visiting my friend who has a soon to be 6 yr old daughter.  While I was there, they were skyping a friend of hers.  All of a sudden, her friend squealed for absolutely no reason.  My friend's daughter squealed then, too.  It went on for a few minutes - conversation with random squeals thrown in.  My friend's Dad was getting pretty frustrated and said something - not all that politely.  I didn't blame him at all; it was getting to me, too.

My friend complained about her Dad later and I commented that I could see his point and asked what they were squealing about.  'That's just what little girls are like.' Yikes.  I guess I am an old fuddy duddy.  Get off my lawn.

I'll be a fuddy duddy too.  Maybe I'm spoiled by only having boys.  Sure they can be loud and yell and it gets annoying but it doesn't hurt my eardrums.

Sorry to tell you this: One of the worst "fire lane squealers" outside my house is a little boy. He wasn't in the shrieking contest, but shrieks constantly when he's playing. He and his mom live next door and she does... nothing.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11600 on: April 22, 2013, 10:25:14 AM »
I can believe that.   My youngest can shriek but it's not terribly high pitched and it's usually just a quick "EEEEEEEEK!" when he's excited and then he doesn't normally do it again.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

audhs

« Reply #11601 on: April 22, 2013, 10:50:21 AM »
I was visiting my friend who has a soon to be 6 yr old daughter.  While I was there, they were skyping a friend of hers.  All of a sudden, her friend squealed for absolutely no reason.  My friend's daughter squealed then, too.  It went on for a few minutes - conversation with random squeals thrown in.  My friend's Dad was getting pretty frustrated and said something - not all that politely.  I didn't blame him at all; it was getting to me, too.

My friend complained about her Dad later and I commented that I could see his point and asked what they were squealing about.  'That's just what little girls are like.' Yikes.  I guess I am an old fuddy duddy.  Get off my lawn.

I'll be a fuddy duddy too.  Maybe I'm spoiled by only having boys.  Sure they can be loud and yell and it gets annoying but it doesn't hurt my eardrums.

Sorry to tell you this: One of the worst "fire lane squealers" outside my house is a little boy. He wasn't in the shrieking contest, but shrieks constantly when he's playing. He and his mom live next door and she does... nothing.

Last summer I heard what I thought was a dozen squealing preschool girls being cased by snakes through my kitchen window. When I looked out it turned out to be two ~12 year old boys on a tramp. Lol

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #11602 on: April 22, 2013, 11:03:34 AM »
I hate uncreative pet names.  My uncle and aunt once had a beautiful black cat whom they named "Putzie" despite all advice to the contrary.  At least I didn't catch any heat for naming mine for Arthurian characters a few years ago and opera characters now.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #11603 on: April 22, 2013, 11:08:58 AM »
I had something really good to put here, but I forgot what is was.   :P

I remembered! 

Pandora.  I love Pandora and frequently listen to it, but I am constantly having to tinker with the volume since it does not auto-tune.  One songs blasting, the next is really low.  It annoys the beejeepers out of me.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11604 on: April 22, 2013, 11:21:13 AM »
I hate uncreative pet names.  My uncle and aunt once had a beautiful black cat whom they named "Putzie" despite all advice to the contrary.  At least I didn't catch any heat for naming mine for Arthurian characters a few years ago and opera characters now.

I have an uncle who named his cats Death and Taxes.  Their mother was named Hope (I think by his ex-wife, as it doesn't sound like a name he'd pick) but Hope died before my aunt met him and that just tickled the heck out of her (not that the cat died, but the names)

I don't care for uncreative pet names either.  I suggested Watson for this one since we have a Sherlock but nope, no one liked that but me. 

I joke that if we ever end up with 4 male cats they'll be Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #11605 on: April 22, 2013, 11:55:15 AM »
I once hoped for a Barnabas and Angelique, but never had the right combination for that.

mmswm

« Reply #11606 on: April 22, 2013, 12:15:04 PM »
My problem with pet names is that they never stay what they're originally named.  My old cat (RIP) was originally named Humphrey.  That's the name he came with when I rescued him from death row.  The boys thought that was a stupid name but I liked it and pointed out there was an awesome old actor named Humphrey Bogart.  The boys like the last name and started calling him Humphrey Bogart.  That eventually got shortened to Bogart, then Booger.  After a couple of months, his name was, in no uncertain terms, Booger.  We had many great years with Booger until he passed away from old age last August.

This December we got a dog.  He came with the name Max.  We didn't like the name, but he knew what his name was, so we picked something that sounded enough like Max and called him Baxter. Oldest son started calling him "Bubba" and then youngest son started calling him "Bubbles".  My (not quite full grown) 135lb male mastiff now answers to "Bubbles".  I'm resisting, but it's a lost cause.

I really wish I could name a pet and have said pet keep his/her name without it turning into something silly.  Do you know what kind of looks I get at the dog park when I call out "Bubbles!" and have this gigantic beast come bounding towards me?
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #11607 on: April 22, 2013, 12:23:13 PM »
My problem with pet names is that they never stay what they're originally named.  My old cat (RIP) was originally named Humphrey.  That's the name he came with when I rescued him from death row.  The boys thought that was a stupid name but I liked it and pointed out there was an awesome old actor named Humphrey Bogart.  The boys like the last name and started calling him Humphrey Bogart.  That eventually got shortened to Bogart, then Booger.  After a couple of months, his name was, in no uncertain terms, Booger.  We had many great years with Booger until he passed away from old age last August.

This December we got a dog.  He came with the name Max.  We didn't like the name, but he knew what his name was, so we picked something that sounded enough like Max and called him Baxter. Oldest son started calling him "Bubba" and then youngest son started calling him "Bubbles".  My (not quite full grown) 135lb male mastiff now answers to "Bubbles".  I'm resisting, but it's a lost cause.

I really wish I could name a pet and have said pet keep his/her name without it turning into something silly.  Do you know what kind of looks I get at the dog park when I call out "Bubbles!" and have this gigantic beast come bounding towards me?

My dog Skeletor, somehow via me, got the name Poopface.  He answers to it.  Banshee answer to Baby Gail (girl with a weird accent) and Colossus to Bubba or DumDum.  The thing is, though, they still answer to their real names, too.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #11608 on: April 22, 2013, 12:31:30 PM »

I love huge dogs with silly names (as long as it's not "Tiny," which is just lazy).  My 130-pound Neapolitan mastiff was named Hoover.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Balrog, Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #11609 on: April 22, 2013, 12:32:49 PM »
We always give our cats human names.  We currently have Cindy and Mari, and they've always been Cindy and Mari.  (Well, Cindy came in from outside, so she may have been something else originally... but she's been Cindy as long as she's lived here!)