Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1751715 times)

KimberlyM

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #11655 on: April 23, 2013, 07:44:53 PM »
A year or so ago I decided taking my lunch hour in the break room/kitchen was a bad idea because I inevitably ended up working during my lunch.  So, I decided at the very least I could sit in my car and read during lunches.  Apparently I need to leave the premises all together since today was the 3 time in a week and a half my boss has hunted me down in my car for completely unnecessary reasons!

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #11656 on: April 23, 2013, 07:54:37 PM »
I had a friend that pronounced compendium as "com-pee-end-um"

Did they play D&D? I have some friends that are D&D players that would say that. I always assumed it was some in-joke i didn't get.

Also, from earlier ...  No online delivery in Philly? Odd how things so close are so different - although i am in suburbia that some people call country. I do all kinds of ordering on GrubHub.
ETA: I'm maybe 20 - 30 minutes, just over 20 miles out of Philly.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 07:56:33 PM by hobish »
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #11657 on: April 23, 2013, 08:11:20 PM »
I had a friend that pronounced compendium as "com-pee-end-um"

Did they play D&D? I have some friends that are D&D players that would say that. I always assumed it was some in-joke i didn't get.

Also, from earlier ...  No online delivery in Philly? Odd how things so close are so different - although i am in suburbia that some people call country. I do all kinds of ordering on GrubHub.
ETA: I'm maybe 20 - 30 minutes, just over 20 miles out of Philly.

Yep, D&D.  And he insisted it was the correct way.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #11658 on: April 23, 2013, 08:36:28 PM »
Ever heard anyone pronounce library as lie-berry?  It makes me nutso.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #11659 on: April 23, 2013, 08:49:08 PM »
^How about "labtop" instead of "laptop?"

Another one I can't stand is "nucyoolar" instead of "nuclear."
Who is the Doctor?

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #11660 on: April 23, 2013, 09:21:56 PM »
When people insist on making suggestions -- multiple times -- that do not work for you.  Example:

Amazon now has a locker system where you can have your purchase directed to a locker you can pick it up from.  It's to prevent packages being left on doorsteps or needing to pick them up from the post office.  This might work in her area, but there is no location anywhere in my zip code.  The nearest locations for me would involve the subway or a bus and they're not open 24/7.  I can't imagine why the friend who kept on about this thinks this is a good idea.

When I go back to work I will simply have my Amazon packages sent to the office.  I have yet to work anywhere that doesn't permit that.

diesel_darlin

« Reply #11661 on: April 23, 2013, 10:14:18 PM »
Yesterday they had some sort of "spring fling" in front of the community college I attend. A few classmates and I walked past a table where some faculty was serving pizza. I opened the door to the bookstore and was walking in when my classmate asked if I was going to get some pizza. I said I wasnt sure yet. He said oh, you dont like pizza?  :o

That drives me insane! I never said anything about liking or not liking anything.  :-\

TeamBhakta

« Reply #11662 on: April 23, 2013, 10:22:54 PM »
When people insist on making suggestions -- multiple times -- that do not work for you.  Example:

Amazon now has a locker system where you can have your purchase directed to a locker you can pick it up from.  It's to prevent packages being left on doorsteps or needing to pick them up from the post office.  This might work in her area, but there is no location anywhere in my zip code.  The nearest locations for me would involve the subway or a bus and they're not open 24/7.  I can't imagine why the friend who kept on about this thinks this is a good idea.

When I go back to work I will simply have my Amazon packages sent to the office.  I have yet to work anywhere that doesn't permit that.

Maybe your friend enjoys hearing "K is back! The keeper of the light! All hail K!" when she picks up packages  >:D

mmswm

« Reply #11663 on: April 23, 2013, 10:30:40 PM »
Along the lines of word pronunciation: There are some people who call my home town "My-yam-uh" instead of "My-am-ee". It drives me batty.  Thankfully, this seems limited to those people of my grandmother's generation.  If my grandmother was still alive, she'd be 95.  I'd say people about 80 and above use this pronunciation.  The silver lining is that younger generations didn't pick up this particular pronunciation, so it's heard less and less as time goes on.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

CuriousParty

« Reply #11664 on: April 23, 2013, 11:00:13 PM »

Well, I do think it's a good idea (as in concept) though it certainly sounds like it won't be a good idea for you.  DH's work doesn't allow personal delivery of USPS/UPS/FEd Ex, etc (government job, security concerns) and the locker system can be useful when he is shipping something to the house he would rather I not see (birthday gifts, etc.)

Come to think of it, that may be our solution for online Christmas shopping this year....hmmmm,

Bottlecaps

« Reply #11665 on: April 23, 2013, 11:27:47 PM »

Maybe your friend enjoys hearing "K is back! The keeper of the light! All hail K!" when she picks up packages  >:D

Hahahaha! :) I love that movie (and the first one)! I have yet to see the third one though!
"Some of the most wonderful people are the ones who don't fit into boxes." -Tori Amos

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11666 on: April 24, 2013, 12:03:52 AM »
People who don't state the question or issue up front.  I work for a rather small law enforcement agency, but not in an office that deals directly with the public.  However, if you Google the agency, for some reason our main office office number comes up.  That's okay.  It's my job to answer the phone, and I help as best I can. 

A man called because he received a call from a phone number.  He didn't understand the message that was left, has no idea why he was called, he called the number twice getting a "disconnected" message the first time, and a similar "not available" message the second time.  He wants to give us the number so that we can call it.  Up until this time, I thought he was the potential victim of a phone scam and was Googling the correct contact number for that.  I asked the gentleman if he thought it might be a scammer.  Disgusted with my incomprehension, the gentleman said that he looked up the area code and it was for Waterford, Massachusetts. (The gentleman lives in the southern U.S.)  So, of course it must be connected with the recent bombing.   I asked if there was a reason for some mysterious associate of the two bombers to call him;  no, he was a good American Patriot who didn't have anything to do with Muslim foreigners.  That's why he was reporting this suspcious number.  Then he said that it was no wonder we couldn't catch anybody and hung up on me.  Please note that the second suspect had been arrested two days before.

Okay, maybe I'm also whining just a little about people who get upset without thinking things through.   :-\
Until I got to the bolded, I wondered if you were talking about my FIL!  Who is driving both of us up the wall.  He has had multiple strokes and now lives in a dementia unit in an Assisted Living home.  FIL calls DH multiple times a day, never less than twice and sometimes as many as 6 times daily. If he can't get through on DH's cellphone, he calls the house. "Somebody gave me this list of phone numbers and I don't know who any of those people are."  "Are you going to call me, or am I going to call you?"  "Somebody called me but I couldn't understand them.  What should I do?"  "Are you coming up here soon?  I need ____."  "I'm in a hotel room and they won't let me leave!" (Of course they won't let you leave, Dad!  You don't need to be wandering around the parking lot with no shoes or jacket, looking for the car that you wrecked 5 years ago.) 

If he can't get DH, or DH tells him something that he doesn't want to hear, he calls BIL and then SIL.  (They're also treated to multiple daily calls.)

I know he's confused, I know he can't help it.  But OY!!!  ::)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11667 on: April 24, 2013, 12:08:32 AM »
Along the lines of word pronunciation: There are some people who call my home town "My-yam-uh" instead of "My-am-ee". It drives me batty.  Thankfully, this seems limited to those people of my grandmother's generation.  If my grandmother was still alive, she'd be 95.  I'd say people about 80 and above use this pronunciation.  The silver lining is that younger generations didn't pick up this particular pronunciation, so it's heard less and less as time goes on.
I went nuclear on my grandmother because she kept pronouncing Hawaii as "How-ORE-ya."   :-[   In my defense, I was only 13 at the time.
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #11668 on: April 24, 2013, 12:56:16 AM »
Housemate says 'triology'.  She also likes watching 'aminated movies'.  And owns a Hyundoo car.  Drives me a little nuttier every day...

I'm also being driven nuts by pain and itching.  It's self inflicted so I shouldn't moan (but I'm going to anyway  :P).  My new tattoo has been started, and it's huge.  I've had one 5-hour session of line work and two of colouring, with at least another 2 sessions to go, all two weeks apart.  What follows is a couple of days of pain, then a week of itching, a few good days then back for the next session.   ::)  So far it looks fantastic though!  And the artist wants to enter me in a local tattoo contest.  Not sure how chubby ol' me feels about being that exposed in public though.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #11669 on: April 24, 2013, 07:06:36 AM »

I may have mentioned this before, but an older friend pronounces "theatre" as "thee-AY-tur" which either sounds uneducated or outdated.