Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1555641 times)

magicdomino

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #11940 on: May 15, 2013, 04:14:30 PM »
Newspaper

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #11941 on: May 15, 2013, 04:22:31 PM »
People who make assumptions about my job. Mainly, my family, but friends and co-workers as well.

I work a pretty regular schedule M-F 8-5. I take an hour lunch, but not on any particular schedule. I can take personal calls all day if I want, as no one is affected but me. My leave time is pretty tricky, since my duties require me to be here for 3 days per week to get the mandatory work done so two other people can do their part. This makes it "fun" to plan vacations with others. I work in education, which means we have 7 weeks a year that are blocked from leave. I don't wear a uniform or do shift work. It will be a huge pain to train someone else to do all that I do, since no one ever did this job before (my position has bits and pieces from 4 different jobs).

Ask, don't assume.  ::)

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #11942 on: May 15, 2013, 04:52:35 PM »
Iíve mentioned this before in other topics, but: people who misspell my first name. I have the second most common spelling of it (a more traditional spelling in certain areas). There are popular celebrities with their name spelled the same, so itís not like itís uncommon.

Itís just one extra letter. I understand it happening as a typo once or twice, but there are repeated offenders who have been corrected.

The worst is online. People will respond to me on Facebook and misspell it, two lines under the correct spelling pre-filled by the website. Theyíll do the same in emails, when responding to the one that had my name spelled correctly in the signature (thank goodness my email is my nickname.lastname instead of firstname.lastname, or I can only imagine the problems).

I keep telling myself that I can only correct them so much, Iíve been dealing with this for over 20 years, and I need to adjust how I react to it (that is, stop letting it affect me so much), but there are days like today when it happens so many times that I just have to rant about it.

Cami

« Reply #11943 on: May 15, 2013, 05:12:47 PM »
Here is my latest. The next several weeks are the busiest weeks of my years. Multiple events plus the largest single event we put on. A new software system, a new credit card processing system and a brand new head honcho who wants to reinvent the wheel then change his mind 4000 times are making this an extremely difficult time in my office.

I was currently deep in the throes of trying to reconcile the accounting of our second biggest event of the year that just passed. The accounting for this event is extremely complicated, a fact that everyone knows. My assistant closed the main door to our suite so I could do this in peace and quiet and put a sign on the door saying "Do not disturb" and instructing people to use the secondary door.  The secondary door to our suite opens DIRECTLY into the copier room and is actually the quickest way to get ito the copier room. A coworker insisted upon opening and closing the door to get to the copier room instead of using the secondary door. My assistant then verbally told her to use the secondary door because she was disturbing me. Coworker then huffs and puffs about "special snowflakes".

I was || close to saying, "Look in the mirror, babe."

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #11944 on: May 15, 2013, 06:46:44 PM »
Cliff hanger season endings - curse the person who came up with "Who Shot JR". Seasons are the end of the book - they should come to a conclusion.

I really really hate the non cliff hanger cliff hangers. Like the one a couple of years ago on NCIS were they reassigned the whole team. You knew they weren't doing a whole cast change. This year was better.

Story arches that go no where. Like the current serial killer on Bones. HOnestly have Booth shoot the jerk through the head NOW. If not Booth then Max can do it.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

exitzero

« Reply #11945 on: May 15, 2013, 07:31:10 PM »
Cliff hanger season endings - curse the person who came up with "Who Shot JR". Seasons are the end of the book - they should come to a conclusion.

I really really hate the non cliff hanger cliff hangers. Like the one a couple of years ago on NCIS were they reassigned the whole team. You knew they weren't doing a whole cast change. This year was better.

Story arches that go no where. Like the current serial killer on Bones. HOnestly have Booth shoot the jerk through the head NOW. If not Booth then Max can do it.

Even worse is when there is a cliffhanger and the show gets cancelled!

Shalamar

« Reply #11946 on: May 15, 2013, 09:53:04 PM »
Yes!   I'm looking at you, "Vegas".

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #11947 on: May 15, 2013, 10:39:12 PM »
Sometimes I think they do that, because they think if they have a cliffhanger the network won't cancel them.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #11948 on: May 16, 2013, 08:45:48 AM »
Or when they make a big point of that close up. Emphasizing that insignificant thing that is obviously really really important because of the close up and "music" and can not be missed as a plot point and then... they never again mention it.  :o

ďFor too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.Ē - Jonah Lehrer

magicdomino

« Reply #11949 on: May 16, 2013, 10:34:14 AM »
Sometimes I think they do that, because they think if they have a cliffhanger the network won't cancel them.

Or they don't know that they are going to be cancelled. 

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #11950 on: May 16, 2013, 10:41:15 AM »
Yeah.  The 1991 version of Dark Shadows was cancelled right after the best cliffhanger it had.  I was so bummed.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11951 on: May 16, 2013, 10:59:03 AM »
I have a two-hour round-trip commute to work every day. A while back I came up with a silly game to play while driving back and forth: I try to find some object I see from my car to match each letter of the alphabet. So, asphalt, curb, bicycle, ditch, and so on.

I can't find anything for X and Z, which isn't too surprising, but what really irks me is that I can't find anything for N, either. Why is N so difficult? It's a common letter!
Nissan?
Neutral(inside the car, may not count)?

Alas, I can't use adjectives or brand names. Too bad, since I drive a Nissan!
I did cheat and used the Quick Trip for Q since I despaired of ever coming up with anything else.

I play the same game on long bus trips but the letters must be from the names of businesses or companies.  Only once in all the years I've been doing this have I gotten the whole alphabet thanks to a conveniently placed Zabar's sign.

N has never been much of a problem because I can use Nissan.  Can you use street signs or signs designating exits? There are usually a lot of 'New' in those.

Shalamar

« Reply #11952 on: May 16, 2013, 01:10:35 PM »
People who, when they find out something bothers you, insist on doing it because it's "funny".  Examples:

- My cubicle-mate found out that I hated a certain song, and he sang it all day long.
- My friend discovered that I hate people coming up behind me and startling me.  He thought it was hilarious when I literally levitated in terror out of my seat when he came up behind me while I was wearing my headphones, and now he keeps trying to get me to do it again.
- "Oh, you can't stand the sound of a fork scraping a plate?"  *scrape scrape scrape*

cwm

« Reply #11953 on: May 16, 2013, 01:41:47 PM »
People who go looking for offense or scandal where none exists.

Example:
Yes, someone brought a dish with pork to a family gathering. Someone who should know better.
Yes, we know you can't eat pork or you'll be miserable.
No, your father is not trying to make sure you can't eat anything. He forgot. He's done this (forgetting, bringing baked beans with bacon) for years. There are nearly a hundred people here, all of whom brought food. There is plenty that you can eat. It is not a peresonal attack on you.

Shalamar

« Reply #11954 on: May 16, 2013, 02:41:21 PM »
And, on the flip side, people who persist in trying to feed you something that you can't eat for whatever reason - allergy, personal beliefs, religion, or you just plain don't like it.  Exhibit A:  my mother-in-law.  She's known me for 25 years now, and she still can't get it through her head that eggs make me sick.  In fact, when I mentioned this at our last family gathering, she gaped at me and said "They do?  Since when?"  Arrrgh.