Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1857971 times)

TeamBhakta

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #11955 on: May 16, 2013, 05:02:24 PM »
People who go looking for offense or scandal where none exists.

Example:
Yes, someone brought a dish with pork to a family gathering. Someone who should know better.
Yes, we know you can't eat pork or you'll be miserable.
No, your father is not trying to make sure you can't eat anything. He forgot. He's done this (forgetting, bringing baked beans with bacon) for years. There are nearly a hundred people here, all of whom brought food. There is plenty that you can eat. It is not a peresonal attack on you.

You would think one's parents would care enough to try to remember "Mary can't eat pork, therefore make an effort to bring one porkless dish." I mean, for goodness sake, the guy can't put up a sticky note on his fridge as a reminder ? Is he getting exposed to that memory zapper from Men In Black between one year's picnic to the next ?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 05:04:08 PM by TeamBhakta »

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #11956 on: May 16, 2013, 06:14:25 PM »
People who, when they find out something bothers you, insist on doing it because it's "funny".  Examples:

- My cubicle-mate found out that I hated a certain song, and he sang it all day long.
- My friend discovered that I hate people coming up behind me and startling me.  He thought it was hilarious when I literally levitated in terror out of my seat when he came up behind me while I was wearing my headphones, and now he keeps trying to get me to do it again.
- "Oh, you can't stand the sound of a fork scraping a plate?"  *scrape scrape scrape*

I am dealing with a bit of this that might even deserve its own thread.  >:(
The scaring thing would particularly bother me. That is so not cool.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Cami

« Reply #11957 on: May 16, 2013, 06:22:33 PM »

Example:
Yes, someone brought a dish with pork to a family gathering. Someone who should know better.
Yes, we know you can't eat pork or you'll be miserable.
No, your father is not trying to make sure you can't eat anything. He forgot. He's done this (forgetting, bringing baked beans with bacon) for years. There are nearly a hundred people here, all of whom brought food. There is plenty that you can eat. It is not a peresonal attack on you.

You would think one's parents would care enough to try to remember "Mary can't eat pork, therefore make an effort to bring one porkless dish." I mean, for goodness sake, the guy can't put up a sticky note on his fridge as a reminder ? Is he getting exposed to that memory zapper from Men In Black between one year's picnic to the next ?
My father had one grandchild (my dd). He could never remember her name.  If a man can't bother to remember his only granddaughter's name, it doesn't surprise me what other parents can't bother to remember.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #11958 on: May 16, 2013, 06:25:34 PM »

If my own father forgot every single year that a certain food made me sick, and continued to bring the one thing I couldn't eat to a potluck, I have to admit I would be tempted to see it as some sort of passive-aggressive thing against me. He's my own father, he should remember what hurts me.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #11959 on: May 16, 2013, 06:39:06 PM »

If my own father forgot every single year that a certain food made me sick, and continued to bring the one thing I couldn't eat to a potluck, I have to admit I would be tempted to see it as some sort of passive-aggressive thing against me. He's my own father, he should remember what hurts me.

But if it is a potluck what is the big deal? Does a person have to make sure every single person at a potluck can eat what they bring? The original post said there were 100 people there. To get upset that one person - even if they are your parent - brings something you can't eat is nutty.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #11960 on: May 16, 2013, 07:10:33 PM »
People who, when they find out something bothers you, insist on doing it because it's "funny".  Examples:

- My cubicle-mate found out that I hated a certain song, and he sang it all day long.
- My friend discovered that I hate people coming up behind me and startling me.  He thought it was hilarious when I literally levitated in terror out of my seat when he came up behind me while I was wearing my headphones, and now he keeps trying to get me to do it again.
- "Oh, you can't stand the sound of a fork scraping a plate?"  *scrape scrape scrape*

And your friends are all 2nd graders because .... No I'm not insulting 2nd graders. I had to stop math centers today and have a conversation about why you don't get to

1.  You don't go around delibrately irritating people
2. Screaming is not how you stop irritating people from bugging you.

To be honest they are tired of each other. We have been trapped in our room for 2 days because of STAAR retesting.  3 more Fridays (Field day, and multicultural day) and 2 more Mondays (We have Memorial day off).
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

TeamBhakta

« Reply #11961 on: May 16, 2013, 07:47:22 PM »

But if it is a potluck what is the big deal? Does a person have to make sure every single person at a potluck can eat what they bring? The original post said there were 100 people there. To get upset that one person - even if they are your parent - brings something you can't eat is nutty.

Maybe it's just me, but I remember to bring a diabetic friendly and low sodium dish for my dad when we have family gatherings. Especially if I've decided to bring another dish I know he isn't supposed to eat. And in return he would certainly remember "Don't bring a green pepper dish. TeamBhakta's throat will close up. Or bring 1 dish with green peppers and 1 dish without green peppers if you're so keen on having green peppers." It's not like he's some random cousin I only see every couple of years, after all

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #11962 on: May 16, 2013, 07:57:46 PM »
Newspaper

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! I am going to look for newspapers on my way home this evening. Failing that, I've decided that the Town Name Child Care Center can be called a nursery, so that could work, too.  :)
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #11963 on: May 16, 2013, 08:05:34 PM »
Can you use street signs or signs designating exits? There are usually a lot of 'New' in those.

I can, but they all count as S for Sign. I have very strict rules. Good thing there are lots of yuccas around my place or Y would have been problematic.  :D

Esan ozenki!

Arizona

lemonfloorwax

« Reply #11964 on: May 17, 2013, 12:03:28 AM »
People who, when they find out something bothers you, insist on doing it because it's "funny". 

Yes, yes yes!
I have a fear of a certain wild animal. It's a ridiculous fear. I understand that. Every time I see one, I go into a bit of a panic. I have had to get up and leave programs at the nature center when they had a "meet the animals" encounter and brought one out. (I didn't run away screaming, or shove people out of the way but I did move rather quickly.)
Everyone seems to think it is hilarious. My husband, the kids, the girls in my GS troop, my in-laws, my friends...pretty much everyone. I admit, it is kind of funny. But it irks me to no END when I get teased about it. My SIL would post pics of this animal on facebook and then tag me. (She stopped after I reported her to FB.) My other SIL would send me text messages on my phone with a picture of the animal. My husband was out of town on business and brought back a plush stuffed animal for the kids. My "best" friend bought my daughter a small stuffed animal that she would leave in my bed, in the car, in my jacket, etc. The stuffed animals are now at Goodwill.
I do not go around and make fun of other people's phobias. (Believe me, I have known people with some BIZARRE ones!) I wouldn't dream of putting fake spiders in my friend's car if she was afraid of them. So why is it okay to do it to me?
(Sorry if that sounds like whining! I'm just frustrated.)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11965 on: May 17, 2013, 01:14:02 AM »
People who, when they find out something bothers you, insist on doing it because it's "funny". 

Yes, yes yes!
I have a fear of a certain wild animal. It's a ridiculous fear. I understand that. Every time I see one, I go into a bit of a panic. I have had to get up and leave programs at the nature center when they had a "meet the animals" encounter and brought one out. (I didn't run away screaming, or shove people out of the way but I did move rather quickly.)
Everyone seems to think it is hilarious. My husband, the kids, the girls in my GS troop, my in-laws, my friends...pretty much everyone. I admit, it is kind of funny. But it irks me to no END when I get teased about it. My SIL would post pics of this animal on facebook and then tag me. (She stopped after I reported her to FB.) My other SIL would send me text messages on my phone with a picture of the animal. My husband was out of town on business and brought back a plush stuffed animal for the kids. My "best" friend bought my daughter a small stuffed animal that she would leave in my bed, in the car, in my jacket, etc. The stuffed animals are now at Goodwill.
I do not go around and make fun of other people's phobias. (Believe me, I have known people with some BIZARRE ones!) I wouldn't dream of putting fake spiders in my friend's car if she was afraid of them. So why is it okay to do it to me?
(Sorry if that sounds like whining! I'm just frustrated.)
I'm going to guess here because you didn't mention the animal, but is it because the rest of the world thinks this is a cute or harmless animal?  It's because they don't understand how something as cute as a penguin can make you break out in cold sweats.  That butterflies aren't pretty, harmless insects, but ravening monsters that live only to make you veer off the road by flying in front of you and plastering themselves to your windshield.

Most of us can understand phobias about potentially harmful things, like snakes and spiders.  It's the more unusual ones, like yellow butterflies or My Little Pony that make us scratch our heads.  Even so, if you tell me that you're terrified of butterflies, I won't suggest that you chaperone the fourth grade field trip to the butterfly farm, or give your children picture books of butterflies.  (I've even heard of such severe phobias about certain things that the phobic person can't even stand to read the name of the phobia item.  That they'll scream and throw books across the room if they come on it unexpectedly, and make someone else take the book out to the garbage.)

Just keep me away from spheroid sports objects flying through the air, please!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

TeamBhakta

« Reply #11966 on: May 17, 2013, 01:31:58 AM »
There is a company in my area that makes paper placemats for restaurants. Each placemat is filled with ads for various businesses. The top of the placemat says, in big bolded letters, "If your reading this so are your customers!!!" That mistake has been showing up for over a year now. Drives me bonkers every time

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
« Reply #11967 on: May 17, 2013, 01:55:28 AM »
When Facebook asks me if I want to buy my friends gift cards for things they like on Facebook for their birthday. I don't expect a site to realize this, but I am in college and have no money for that amount of frivolity, even for my dearest friends. I wish there were a way to turn that kind of thing off.

Vita brevis, ars longa

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #11968 on: May 17, 2013, 03:16:49 AM »
It USED to be insomnia.  A few months ago, I started being able to reliably sleep through the night, after decades of being up 'til 2, 3AM on a regular basis.  Then, after two *months*, I started getting insomnia again.

Wait, it gets better.

Now, I have intermittent insomnia.  Three or four nights per week I'm fine, the rest I'm up half way through (check the timestamp, I'm on the east coast of the US, guess what kind of night this is!).  And this is FAR worse than constant insomnia, because at least constant insomnia is reliable.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11969 on: May 17, 2013, 07:18:05 AM »
Last night was DS's Spring band concert (he plays trombone).  Now, this is 7th grade; we're not talking the London Philharmonic, but some basic etiquette still applies.

*Don't talk/text if the keys make a clicking noise/allow your young children to play games with sound effects during the music!  At one point, the family behind us was so loud that at least six of us turned around and "Shh'd".  Maybe that wasn't polite in itself, but enough was enough.

*If your party is sitting in the top of the bleachers, and you leave for some reason, try not to make people move so you can get up and down multiple times.  Just sit on the bottom seat until the end.

*It seems rude to me to leave as soon as your kid's part is over, while another group is performing.  The groups that had already performed were supposed to go sit on another set of bleachers, but some kids snuck over to their families in the confusion and they left.

*Don't run out onto the floor of the gym to tape, when they're trying to get the show started.

The kids worked hard for that show and were well-behaved.  It's the parents  >:(.