Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1304594 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #12015 on: May 27, 2013, 08:47:30 AM »
The television ad for the Musical 'Matilda'. 

It runs several times a day.  I've seen every day for over a month and still can't make out a single word in the song they're singing. 

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12016 on: May 27, 2013, 10:12:34 AM »
The television ad for the Musical 'Matilda'. 

It runs several times a day.  I've seen every day for over a month and still can't make out a single word in the song they're singing.

You're in my area so I know you've seen these as well. the one for the "dial 777-7777" limo service, and the super annoying one that runs 900 times a day for the Lion King musical.  ARGHHHHH.

Cami

« Reply #12017 on: May 27, 2013, 10:20:51 AM »
I have always found it very annoying when people go into a 5 minute diatribe about how busy they have been, usually to explain why they’ve been out of touch.

If I’m worried or concerned I’ll ask “Is everything okay?”  I don’t need to hear all the details about projects at work or family issues or how they’ve had to deal with the plumbing and the dogs, etc., etc., etc. and how they have been telling themselves “Oh, I must call/email veronaz!”  ::)

I really hate that.  It's not necessary, and telling me all that it just an annoying waste of time.  I've talked to people about it, but they STILL keep doing it.  >:(
Or when they see my dh and keep saying, "I haven't seen Cami in forever. Tell her to call me!"  Every. Single. Time.

Last week, my dh responded, "Does your phone only accept incoming calls? Because why can't you call HER?"

Silence.

Then a five minute diatribe about how busy she is. So my dh responded, "If you don't have time to call her and talk at your convenience, how would you have time to talk when she calls you when it's not at your convenience?"

Silence.

And that is why I no longer consider her a friend. If you can't find the time to call me (or email or FB or text me), then why should I pursue you? I'm not that desperate.

Snooks

« Reply #12018 on: May 27, 2013, 10:34:27 AM »
I have always found it very annoying when people go into a 5 minute diatribe about how busy they have been, usually to explain why they’ve been out of touch.

If I’m worried or concerned I’ll ask “Is everything okay?”  I don’t need to hear all the details about projects at work or family issues or how they’ve had to deal with the plumbing and the dogs, etc., etc., etc. and how they have been telling themselves “Oh, I must call/email veronaz!”  ::)

I really hate that.  It's not necessary, and telling me all that it just an annoying waste of time.  I've talked to people about it, but they STILL keep doing it.  >:(
Or when they see my dh and keep saying, "I haven't seen Cami in forever. Tell her to call me!"  Every. Single. Time.

Last week, my dh responded, "Does your phone only accept incoming calls? Because why can't you call HER?"

Silence.

Then a five minute diatribe about how busy she is. So my dh responded, "If you don't have time to call her and talk at your convenience, how would you have time to talk when she calls you when it's not at your convenience?"

Silence.

And that is why I no longer consider her a friend. If you can't find the time to call me (or email or FB or text me), then why should I pursue you? I'm not that desperate.

Your husband is amazing.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12019 on: May 27, 2013, 05:13:30 PM »
My neighbors, with whom I share a common wall in the kitchen. this is the fourth set, I think, since I've been here, and I don't know what they do, but it sounds like the slam the cabinet doors shut, since i hear them bang all the time. They also, regularly, pound something so hard on the counter, it makes my wall and anything in my sink, shake, rattle, and roll. I will admit I just got tired of it and pounded on the wall, which was a bit immature, but after having to listen to some other neighbor's (I don't know who) music through their and my open windows all afternoon, I was losing my patience.

Allyson

« Reply #12020 on: May 28, 2013, 12:54:30 AM »
When people take even the mildest disagreement as the other person being angry with them.

"I like X better than Y?" "Oh, I prefer Y because Reasons." "I didn't mean to upset you!" You didn't...

Along the same lines, filler phrases like 'I have the right to my opinion!' 'It's a personal choice' and so on. Well, yes, all these things are true, but they don't really mean anything in the context of a debate, because anyone could say these things about any opinion/choice.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12021 on: May 28, 2013, 07:05:31 AM »
When people take even the mildest disagreement as the other person being angry with them.

"I like X better than Y?" "Oh, I prefer Y because Reasons." "I didn't mean to upset you!" You didn't...

Along the same lines, filler phrases like 'I have the right to my opinion!' 'It's a personal choice' and so on. Well, yes, all these things are true, but they don't really mean anything in the context of a debate, because anyone could say these things about any opinion/choice.

That kind of thing annoys me too.  Much of my communication with my bff is written, either emails or texts, and of course tone just doesn't always come across well in emails so some of the arguments we've had have come about because of a misreading of tone which we generally will clear up with a call.  (neither of us really enjoy talking on the phone, though when talking to each other we often end up talking for at least an hour.)  And a few of our disagreements have come about because she's said something, I calmly disagreed and she'd say "well I don't mean to make you mad at me!"

To be fair though she doesn't always respond like that, it's usually when she's bothered about something else.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Redsoil

« Reply #12022 on: May 28, 2013, 09:18:03 AM »
People who go to the ballet, and bring snacks.  Which they eat (noisily - chomping away and rattling cartons to get at the popcorn) throughout the entire performance!  Seriously, the ballet is NOT the place to feed your face, constantly and to the detriment of others' enjoyment of the performance.  Reminded meof a cow chewing their cud.  Only difference is the cow is quieter about it!

It was especially bad, because the pieces performed were set to very minimal/quiet music, and the performances quite introspective, requiring a particular sort of mental immersion to fully appreciate.  I'm actually thinking of writing to the theatre and asking for their policy to be reviewed, so that ushers do not allow food into performances.

Other than that (and the same people screeching with laughter and making loud "look at me" comments in the leadup to curtain rise - very grating for the 20 minutes of waiting prior to the performance), the dancers, stage lighting and the music were all superb.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12023 on: May 28, 2013, 09:29:48 AM »
I've heard of people bringing chocolates or mints to live theater but popcorn?  Are things different in Australia.

The only time I ever heard of actual food being sold in a legitimate was a vendor selling spam sandwiches during an intermission of Spamalot.  But then, That was Spamalot. 

Redsoil

« Reply #12024 on: May 28, 2013, 09:47:04 AM »
Sadly, it seems to be ever more acceptable to lower standards to those of watching TV in one's own living room.  A trend which I abhor.  I have sent off an email to the theatre, praising the performance, and asking if guidelines could be reviewed to disallow food, especially to such performances as this where atmosphere is vital to the performance integrity.  Fingers crossed.

Copy of the email sent:

Just wanted to let you know that the performance of ***** earlier this week was beautifully done.  Hoping we see more of these performers, with their evocative interpretations and wonderful imagery in dance.  The third piece, in particular was one which resonated powerfully.

One small thing impinged upon the enjoyment of the performance,and seemed disrespectful to the performers.  Some of the audience members (in row **) had food items which they noisily consumed throughout the entire three sets.  Would it be possible to look at reviewing guidelines and disallow food items in the theatre?  Especially for sensitive pieces such as these, it's very disruptive to the atmosphere, and impinged upon my enjoyment of the pieces.

Thank you for your consideration of my request.  My congratulations to all involved with the night - the ushers and staff and especially the musicians, lighting technicians and dancers.

Regards,
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 09:49:49 AM by Redsoil »
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #12025 on: May 28, 2013, 09:48:14 AM »
Why does Frontline and other flea preventatives I've seen only come in sets of 3?  I get that the package says "three month supply"-if you have a single cat.  I have a duo, so I have to buy two packages for the three month supply  >:( .
I've gotten sets of 12 from an online retailer, 1800PetMeds[dot]com.  Pretty good prices, too.

My 'up the wall' moment has been brought on by the new Star Trek movie.  It's TREK, people, T-r-E-k. Not 'Star Track'.  Rhymes with 'heck', not 'hack'!!!!!!

Star Track? That's a new one for me.

I have the "Star Tracks" album.

Shalamar

« Reply #12026 on: May 28, 2013, 09:49:21 AM »
"Oh, I prefer Y because Reasons." "I didn't mean to upset you!" You didn't...

Gah, I once had an argument with a friend about Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.  He loved it.  I didn't like it at all.  When I said I didn't like it, he was stunned and tried to tell me that I was "wrong" not to like it.  I said "Hey, we have different opinions, and that's okay."  He looked very hurt and said "Well, you didn't have to say it like THAT."

lemonfloorwax

« Reply #12027 on: May 28, 2013, 10:03:09 AM »
A big agreement on the snacks at live theater. I remember going to see my first performance of Les Mis at age 13 and being HORRIFIED that a man near me had snuck in candy and was rustling the box for most of the show. Now when I go to plays, it seems there's almost always food available to take into the theater. I find it really distracting. Have we gotten to the point that we can't go 2 hours or so without stuffing our faces?  ???

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12028 on: May 28, 2013, 10:07:58 AM »
"Oh, I prefer Y because Reasons." "I didn't mean to upset you!" You didn't...

Gah, I once had an argument with a friend about Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.  He loved it.  I didn't like it at all.  When I said I didn't like it, he was stunned and tried to tell me that I was "wrong" not to like it.  I said "Hey, we have different opinions, and that's okay."  He looked very hurt and said "Well, you didn't have to say it like THAT."

Yes.  It's especially annoying when people get huffy about things that don't really mean anything.  Among other things, books, entertainment, and food are matters of taste and  people of good will can disagree. 

I believe it was Mark Twain who said, 'It is a difference of opinion that makes horse races'. 

TeamBhakta

« Reply #12029 on: May 28, 2013, 10:22:16 AM »
I went to see a movie the other night with my best friend. The theatre was blissfully empty and it was the last showing of the night.  The tall couple who arrived after us must've thought "We should sit near you guys! How cozy and fun!", because they were getting ready to join us at the very top row. They gave us huge smiles, started climbing the stairs and then realized bff & I were giving each other "oh crap, why can't we have elbow room without these folks" looks. So they picked seats three rows below us. And stood up several times during the movie. Evil me wished to throw popcorn and yell "Sit down, you're blocking the screen again."  ::)