Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1789456 times)

cwm

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #12030 on: May 28, 2013, 11:46:03 AM »
DH had two girlfriends named Jennifer...in a row.  The second one went by her confirmation name because she was so tired of having a common name.

My sister dated five Adams. It was broken up by one guy not named Adam, but this went on for years. And they can all be described as tall, skinny, and slightly nerdy. So now when she talks about her ex, Adam, I have to ask for clarity on which one.

I've only ever run into about five or six other people with my name, so I'm lucky in that respect.

I ran into people driving like crazies this weekend. I had cruise control on, and while I know that not every car has it or has it working, it's really annoying to play leapfrog with the same car. I was going a steady speed and I'd pass another car, get well ahead of it, and then merge back in front of it. Within five minutes the same car was riding my bumper, then passing me at a dangerously high rate of speed, cutting back in front of me as quickly as possible (when both lanes were open for quite a while), and then continuing to speed up to get space ahead of me. Until they possibly decided they had made their point and slowed down, which started the whole thing over again.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #12031 on: May 28, 2013, 11:51:17 AM »
Redsoil, this gets on my last nerve as well.  If more people would contact the management of such venues we might see a return to appropriate behavior.  They need to understand that this kind of thing is what drives everyone else to their living rooms.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12032 on: May 28, 2013, 11:55:37 AM »
"Oh, I prefer Y because Reasons." "I didn't mean to upset you!" You didn't...

Gah, I once had an argument with a friend about Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.  He loved it.  I didn't like it at all.  When I said I didn't like it, he was stunned and tried to tell me that I was "wrong" not to like it.  I said "Hey, we have different opinions, and that's okay."  He looked very hurt and said "Well, you didn't have to say it like THAT."

Yes.  It's especially annoying when people get huffy about things that don't really mean anything.  Among other things, books, entertainment, and food are matters of taste and  people of good will can disagree. 

I believe it was Mark Twain who said, 'It is a difference of opinion that makes horse races'.

I hate this. Thankfully only one of my friends does this, but its still annoying!!!! She has told me repeatedly the reason I don't like sweet potatoes is I've "never had them cooked the right way" No, its beacuse I don't like the taste. you can cook them a hundred different ways, and I still won't like them.

Same with tv, books, movies etc. she has very different tastes than I do; we rarely like the same thing, and if she asks me if I've seen x or y, I will say no, and perhaps "not my cup of tea" as its Sci Fi, or Western, something I just don't care for. She will then spend 10 minutes trying to convince me to try it as its sooo good I might like it. Sorry, I have limited free time, and prefer to watch something I know I'll enjoy.

On the other had, I have a friend at my second job, and we joke about and embrace our different tastses. we say that if on of us likes something, clothing, jewelry, its a sure bet the other won't. and we laugh even harder when we actualky DO both like the same thing.

Shalamar

« Reply #12033 on: May 28, 2013, 12:04:35 PM »
On the flip side, I've sometimes tried to get my daughters interested in a TV show I like, and they just haven't been interested.  Prison Break, for example.  Okay, fine, no problem.  Fast-forward six months, and my 16-year-old is avidly watching guess-what on Netflix.  Her:  "Prison Break is soooo amazing!"  Me:  "I tried to get you to watch that ages ago, and you looked at me like I had two heads."  Her:  "I don't remember that." 

blueyzca01

« Reply #12034 on: May 28, 2013, 12:34:01 PM »
A big agreement on the snacks at live theater. I remember going to see my first performance of Les Mis at age 13 and being HORRIFIED that a man near me had snuck in candy and was rustling the box for most of the show. Now when I go to plays, it seems there's almost always food available to take into the theater. I find it really distracting. Have we gotten to the point that we can't go 2 hours or so without stuffing our faces?  ???

No.  This is why Americans are getting huger and huger, and for some reason, don't seem capable of any sort of self-control when it comes to food.  And yes, I am an American.
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #12035 on: May 28, 2013, 12:45:13 PM »
[snip]

I ran into people driving like crazies this weekend. I had cruise control on, and while I know that not every car has it or has it working, it's really annoying to play leapfrog with the same car. I was going a steady speed and I'd pass another car, get well ahead of it, and then merge back in front of it. Within five minutes the same car was riding my bumper, then passing me at a dangerously high rate of speed, cutting back in front of me as quickly as possible (when both lanes were open for quite a while), and then continuing to speed up to get space ahead of me. Until they possibly decided they had made their point and slowed down, which started the whole thing over again.

This has to be one of my top five pet peeves. Especially back when I was driving to/from MO/NY a few times a year. I found at least one of these every single trip.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12036 on: May 28, 2013, 01:06:18 PM »
DH had two girlfriends named Jennifer...in a row.  The second one went by her confirmation name because she was so tired of having a common name.

My sister dated five Adams. It was broken up by one guy not named Adam, but this went on for years. And they can all be described as tall, skinny, and slightly nerdy. So now when she talks about her ex, Adam, I have to ask for clarity on which one.

I've only ever run into about five or six other people with my name, so I'm lucky in that respect.

Same here.  :) The other funny thing was that the two Jennifers were also raised Catholic, as I was.  I joke that he must have decided he needed to change something up and wasn't meant to be with someone named Jennifer. :)

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

TeamBhakta

« Reply #12037 on: May 28, 2013, 01:07:37 PM »
When someone puts their child up to promoting their cause. As in news articles that start with "Really wise kid has idea about xyz issues." And you can tell it was really just the parent(s) thinking "Crap, nobody is interested in my point of view. And I'll get called out if I make outlandish statements. I know, I'll put cute little Becky out there and say it's her pet cause." Yes, I know some kids do ask to help out or speak up, but it's blatantly obvious who's pulling the strings when a kid says something crazy like (made up example) "I hope you will build a park on Main Street. I know you are against adding a park because you hate kids and little old ladies. You probably throw a party and kick puppies whenever you think about not building the park."  ::)

Shalamar

« Reply #12038 on: May 28, 2013, 01:40:03 PM »
When my sister-in-law Rhonda was single, she had a boyfriend who cheated on her with a girl named ... Rhonda.  She dumped him as soon as she found out, then joked afterwards "I guess he never had to worry about calling out the wrong name at the wrong time."  I said "Yes, but what if you called him and said 'Hi, it's Rhonda'?  Didn't he ever hesitate and say '...  you'll have to be more specific'?".

KimberlyM

« Reply #12039 on: May 28, 2013, 01:46:44 PM »
Those little clear rubbery straps sewn into tops that are supposed to help keep them on the hanger...I understand their purpose on some things, but I swear they are on everything now and it makes me nutty!!

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #12040 on: May 28, 2013, 02:20:37 PM »
Those little clear rubbery straps sewn into tops that are supposed to help keep them on the hanger...I understand their purpose on some things, but I swear they are on everything now and it makes me nutty!!

POD to the nth degree!
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12041 on: May 28, 2013, 02:23:41 PM »

POD to the nth degree!

Once I've decided I'm keeping something (sometimes I sleep on it), those little rubbery things get snipped off pronto.  I bought those nice velvet-like covered hangers that clothes don't slip off of. They are wonderful and eliminate the need for those little straps.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12042 on: May 28, 2013, 02:33:27 PM »

I drive with the cruise control on whenever I can.  This drives me right 'round the bend.  And as they pass me for the third or forth time, giving me a dirty look as if there is something wrong with my driving.  Hey, it's not my fault you can't drive a steady speed!
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12043 on: May 28, 2013, 03:41:08 PM »
Is it  my imagination, or has children's programming gotten even more inane in the last 20 years?  I never thought I could miss the Smurfs!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

lemonfloorwax

« Reply #12044 on: May 28, 2013, 04:02:15 PM »
When my sister-in-law Rhonda was single, she had a boyfriend who cheated on her with a girl named ... Rhonda.  She dumped him as soon as she found out, then joked afterwards "I guess he never had to worry about calling out the wrong name at the wrong time."  I said "Yes, but what if you called him and said 'Hi, it's Rhonda'?  Didn't he ever hesitate and say '...  you'll have to be more specific'?".
My husband's father married a woman named Susan (My MIL) and then cheated on her and divorced her to marry...another Susan.