Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1311404 times)

Snooks

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #12045 on: May 28, 2013, 04:27:04 PM »
My neighbors, with whom I share a common wall in the kitchen. this is the fourth set, I think, since I've been here, and I don't know what they do, but it sounds like the slam the cabinet doors shut, since i hear them bang all the time. They also, regularly, pound something so hard on the counter, it makes my wall and anything in my sink, shake, rattle, and roll. I will admit I just got tired of it and pounded on the wall, which was a bit immature, but after having to listen to some other neighbor's (I don't know who) music through their and my open windows all afternoon, I was losing my patience.

Is there any chance they have a counter top dishwasher or washing machine on that wall?  Or a rodeo bull...

MandiC76

« Reply #12046 on: May 28, 2013, 04:52:20 PM »
The television ad for the Musical 'Matilda'. 

It runs several times a day.  I've seen every day for over a month and still can't make out a single word in the song they're singing.

You're in my area so I know you've seen these as well. the one for the "dial 777-7777" limo service, and the super annoying one that runs 900 times a day for the Lion King musical.  ARGHHHHH.

I'm within the same TV viewing area and the "dial 777-7777" commercials drive me crazy as well. At least they've made a variety of them now, so it's not the same thing every time. They all drive me up a wall, but the one with just the woman's voice talking throughout the commercial is the one I dislike the most.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #12047 on: May 28, 2013, 05:01:38 PM »
Why does Frontline and other flea preventatives I've seen only come in sets of 3?  I get that the package says "three month supply"-if you have a single cat.  I have a duo, so I have to buy two packages for the three month supply  >:(.

Obviously, you need one more cat.  ;D
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #12048 on: May 28, 2013, 05:13:41 PM »
I am officially fed up with the overuse and misuse of the word v@gina. This seems to be a problem mostly with the 35-and-under crowd. It's like they've just discovered the word and think it's edgy and cool and thus use it not only at every opportunity, but to describe virtually any bit of the female anatomy between navel and kneecaps.

Case in point: I overhead two 20-something girls discussing clothing the other day. One of them squealed, "OOOOMMMMGGGG! Your skirt's so short I can almost see your v@gina!"

Errr...no. No you can't unless something is really wrong with her anatomy.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #12049 on: May 28, 2013, 05:19:34 PM »
Why does Frontline and other flea preventatives I've seen only come in sets of 3?  I get that the package says "three month supply"-if you have a single cat.  I have a duo, so I have to buy two packages for the three month supply  >:(.

Obviously, you need one more cat.  ;D
Glad I wasn't the only one thinking it.

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #12050 on: May 28, 2013, 05:28:45 PM »
A big agreement on the snacks at live theater. I remember going to see my first performance of Les Mis at age 13 and being HORRIFIED that a man near me had snuck in candy and was rustling the box for most of the show. Now when I go to plays, it seems there's almost always food available to take into the theater. I find it really distracting. Have we gotten to the point that we can't go 2 hours or so without stuffing our faces?  ???

No.  This is why Americans are getting huger and huger, and for some reason, don't seem capable of any sort of self-control when it comes to food.  And yes, I am an American.

You may be an American, but it doesn't make those words hurt any less.  This does not apply to all Americans.  I eat every 2 hours, in small quantities, but it is still just about every 2 hours.  I have plenty of self control, thank you.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12051 on: May 28, 2013, 07:26:50 PM »
My neighbors, with whom I share a common wall in the kitchen. this is the fourth set, I think, since I've been here, and I don't know what they do, but it sounds like the slam the cabinet doors shut, since i hear them bang all the time. They also, regularly, pound something so hard on the counter, it makes my wall and anything in my sink, shake, rattle, and roll. I will admit I just got tired of it and pounded on the wall, which was a bit immature, but after having to listen to some other neighbor's (I don't know who) music through their and my open windows all afternoon, I was losing my patience.

Is there any chance they have a counter top dishwasher or washing machine on that wall?  Or a rodeo bull...

We had something like that happen a year or so ago.  We were having dinner and, all of a sudden, the water in our glasses started to shake and we began to feel vibrations.  The sensation was almost exactly like the one we experience on a cruise when the ship begins to pick up speed for an overnight run. 

As it turned out, our downstairs neighbors had installed a ceiling fan directly below out dining room table.  A little adjustment solved most of the problem but, as long as we knew the cause, we really didn't mind.  It was a rather nice reminder of vacation. 

Cami

« Reply #12052 on: May 28, 2013, 08:53:54 PM »

A big agreement on the snacks at live theater. I remember going to see my first performance of Les Mis at age 13 and being HORRIFIED that a man near me had snuck in candy and was rustling the box for most of the show. Now when I go to plays, it seems there's almost always food available to take into the theater. I find it really distracting. Have we gotten to the point that we can't go 2 hours or so without stuffing our faces?  ???

We went to see a Broadway show on tour last week and the announcements included a line, "Please turn off your cell phones now. Please open all of your candy, throat lozenge and other wrappers NOW before the show begins and not during the show. Thank you for being considerate."

diesel_darlin

« Reply #12053 on: May 28, 2013, 11:23:44 PM »
Please, please, PLEASE! If you want me to do something for you, just ask! Dont look at me and say "do you wanna" take out the trash/pick up these boxes/stock the cooler/sweep/ etc etc. Asking if I want to implies that I have a choice in the matter. Just tell me to do it already.  >:(

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #12054 on: May 29, 2013, 04:16:00 AM »
Please, please, PLEASE! If you want me to do something for you, just ask! Dont look at me and say "do you wanna" take out the trash/pick up these boxes/stock the cooler/sweep/ etc etc. Asking if I want to implies that I have a choice in the matter. Just tell me to do it already.  >:(

Oh ye gods yes! Just say "Could you please ---?", people!

And "I'll let you ---" is just as bad.  >:(
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #12055 on: May 29, 2013, 06:53:27 AM »

When my mom says the last one, I always say very dryly, "Thank you for the honor."
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

diesel_darlin

« Reply #12056 on: May 29, 2013, 07:54:47 AM »

When my mom says the last one, I always say very dryly, "Thank you for the honor."

;D Lol! I should try that!

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #12057 on: May 29, 2013, 08:11:14 AM »

;D Lol! I should try that!

I always wanted to say something like "No, really, I wouldn't dream of taking that away from you," but I knew I'd be in biiiig trouble if I did! ::)
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Margo

« Reply #12058 on: May 29, 2013, 08:48:53 AM »
[snip]

I ran into people driving like crazies this weekend. I had cruise control on, and while I know that not every car has it or has it working, it's really annoying to play leapfrog with the same car. I was going a steady speed and I'd pass another car, get well ahead of it, and then merge back in front of it. Within five minutes the same car was riding my bumper, then passing me at a dangerously high rate of speed, cutting back in front of me as quickly as possible (when both lanes were open for quite a while), and then continuing to speed up to get space ahead of me. Until they possibly decided they had made their point and slowed down, which started the whole thing over again.

This has to be one of my top five pet peeves. Especially back when I was driving to/from MO/NY a few times a year. I found at least one of these every single trip.

Me too. I don't have cruise control, and I *really* don't care whether you are in front of me or behind me, but in the name of all that's holy don't overtake me and then immediately slow down.  I seem to get this a lot. part of it is, I think, because I have a really small car, and there are a surprising number of people who seem to see it as a personal affront to be overtaken by a vehicle smaller than their own..

It also drives me nuts when someone pootles along well below the speed limit and then immediately speeds up on going into a town/village with a speed limit. There's one of these I see 2 or 3 times a week on my drive to work. He does about 30 between villages (where the limit is 60, and normal traffic speed is between 40 and 60 depending in the road conditions) but as soon as he gets to a village and the 30 limit, he speeds up to about 40... He also speeds up on the one stretch of road in 10 miles where it is possible to overtake.

Shalamar

« Reply #12059 on: May 29, 2013, 12:04:02 PM »
I just put out an ad on Kijiji to see if I could get someone to do a day's worth of yard work this weekend.  My husband usually does it, but he's super busy right now.  So am I, so I thought I'd pay someone to do it as a surprise.  My ad basically said "Our yard isn't that big, but we need someone to rake it, bag all the leaves and grass clippings and trash, pull up any weeds, and mow it.  It's probably about 4-6 hours of work.   Please provide your own mower; we'll supply the rake and garbage bags."

I've gotten several positive replies so far, plus one jerk.  His reply said "Wow travel to your house with a mower for 4-6 hours work?  whats the matter you to cheap to pay a profesional?"  (Typos included.) 

If you don't want the job, don't take it.  And if asking someone to provide their own mower is too much, fine - we do have a mower, but it's a bit ancient and fussy - only my husband seems to have the knack for starting it.