Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1734742 times)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #12060 on: May 29, 2013, 02:50:12 PM »
My neighbors, with whom I share a common wall in the kitchen. this is the fourth set, I think, since I've been here, and I don't know what they do, but it sounds like the slam the cabinet doors shut, since i hear them bang all the time. They also, regularly, pound something so hard on the counter, it makes my wall and anything in my sink, shake, rattle, and roll. I will admit I just got tired of it and pounded on the wall, which was a bit immature, but after having to listen to some other neighbor's (I don't know who) music through their and my open windows all afternoon, I was losing my patience.

Is there any chance they have a counter top dishwasher or washing machine on that wall?  Or a rodeo bull...

Nope. we already have dishwashsers, and this is a heavy pounding, like when you pound out chicken to make it thinner. It generally doesn't last that long, but it really is annoying.  I really think that's what they're doing but it seems a bit excessive for something like that.

Dr. F.

« Reply #12061 on: May 29, 2013, 04:58:57 PM »
[snip]

I ran into people driving like crazies this weekend. I had cruise control on, and while I know that not every car has it or has it working, it's really annoying to play leapfrog with the same car. I was going a steady speed and I'd pass another car, get well ahead of it, and then merge back in front of it. Within five minutes the same car was riding my bumper, then passing me at a dangerously high rate of speed, cutting back in front of me as quickly as possible (when both lanes were open for quite a while), and then continuing to speed up to get space ahead of me. Until they possibly decided they had made their point and slowed down, which started the whole thing over again.

This has to be one of my top five pet peeves. Especially back when I was driving to/from MO/NY a few times a year. I found at least one of these every single trip.

Me too. I don't have cruise control, and I *really* don't care whether you are in front of me or behind me, but in the name of all that's holy don't overtake me and then immediately slow down.  I seem to get this a lot. part of it is, I think, because I have a really small car, and there are a surprising number of people who seem to see it as a personal affront to be overtaken by a vehicle smaller than their own..

It also drives me nuts when someone pootles along well below the speed limit and then immediately speeds up on going into a town/village with a speed limit. There's one of these I see 2 or 3 times a week on my drive to work. He does about 30 between villages (where the limit is 60, and normal traffic speed is between 40 and 60 depending in the road conditions) but as soon as he gets to a village and the 30 limit, he speeds up to about 40... He also speeds up on the one stretch of road in 10 miles where it is possible to overtake.

Random factoid of the day:
I read a study once that measured how people drive under normal conditions and the amount of space between cars that was considered "comfortable." A constant distance wasn't comfortable at all. What they discovered is that people drive such that the second derivative of the distance between cars remains constant - in other words, the rate of change in the distance between two cars remains the same, so you're always creeping up on someone or falling behind them at a constant rate. I found that v. interesting.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #12062 on: May 30, 2013, 02:46:05 AM »
Right now it's people who say "What's the big deal about the dry ice bomb at Disney ? You can't get hurt from that. Harmless prank, nothing more. He shouldn't get a severe punishment for that. " Um, yes, you can get majorly hurt from one *bangs head on desk*

Nikko-chan

« Reply #12063 on: May 30, 2013, 03:48:47 AM »
Right now it's people who say "What's the big deal about the dry ice bomb at Disney ? You can't get hurt from that. Harmless prank, nothing more. He shouldn't get a severe punishment for that. " Um, yes, you can get majorly hurt from one *bangs head on desk*

People actually think that dry ice can't hurt you? Ummm... why do they think you have to wear special gloves then? Just for funsies? *joins you in banging head on desk*

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #12064 on: May 30, 2013, 05:24:02 AM »
People saying 9am in the morning.  AM means morning! It's redundant.

Should of instead of should have.

Less than instead of fewer than.
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

cwm

« Reply #12065 on: May 30, 2013, 12:19:20 PM »

Allot or alot instead of a lot.

I get that alot.  ;)

diesel_darlin

« Reply #12066 on: May 30, 2013, 04:51:55 PM »
Please, please, PLEASE! If you want me to do something for you, just ask! Dont look at me and say "do you wanna" take out the trash/pick up these boxes/stock the cooler/sweep/ etc etc. Asking if I want to implies that I have a choice in the matter. Just tell me to do it already.  >:(

Oh ye gods yes! Just say "Could you please ---?", people!

And "I'll let you ---" is just as bad.  >:(

When my mom says the last one, I always say very dryly, "Thank you for the honor."

;D Lol! I should try that!

I always wanted to say something like "No, really, I wouldn't dream of taking that away from you," but I knew I'd be in biiiig trouble if I did! ::)

HAHA! Yeah, I tried explaining that its really not cool to ask someone if they WANT to do something. She said well, I dont feel right not asking. I said youre not asking me to do the chore! Youre asking me if I WANT to do the chore. If you want me to do it, just say "hey would you mind doing x"? "could you please do y"?

THAT is asking.  8)

emwithme

« Reply #12067 on: May 30, 2013, 06:00:29 PM »

Allot or alot instead of a lot.

I get that alot.  ;)

And the Alot gets you too  >:D

Carotte

« Reply #12068 on: May 30, 2013, 06:44:18 PM »
arg, I had to introduce a revolutionary concept to my SO, if your dirty plate is already above the dishwasher, you can actually put it inside  >:(
Yesterday I asked him to clear the dining room table, had to tell him today that the saucepan who was on it did not end up flying herself into the dishwasher, like it seems he expected her to do  >:(

I've taken 95% of household tasks on myself because I'm unemployed, home all day, don't pay rent/utilities (but all groceries) and have a higher standard of what I call clean and acceptable. But I'm a bit afraid that once I get a job he'll be reluctant to pitch in and expect to keep it that way.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #12069 on: May 30, 2013, 10:52:27 PM »
arg, I had to introduce a revolutionary concept to my SO, if your dirty plate is already above the dishwasher, you can actually put it inside  >:(
Yesterday I asked him to clear the dining room table, had to tell him today that the saucepan who was on it did not end up flying herself into the dishwasher, like it seems he expected her to do  >:(

I've taken 95% of household tasks on myself because I'm unemployed, home all day, don't pay rent/utilities (but all groceries) and have a higher standard of what I call clean and acceptable. But I'm a bit afraid that once I get a job he'll be reluctant to pitch in and expect to keep it that way.

I discovered a nifty trick a few years ago, which works really well: Every person in the house gets a set amount of forks, spoons, knives, bowls, cups and plates. Period. The remaining amount gets packed away. If, for example your SO hasn't washed any of his allotment of 2 cups, he's out of luck; he can drink from a dirty cup or wash them. It really nips that business of "I'll just keep taking out more dishes to dirty up."
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 10:38:31 AM by TeamBhakta »

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #12070 on: May 31, 2013, 07:33:45 AM »

I've discovered a nifty trick a few years ago, which works really well: Every person in the house gets a set amount of forks, spoons, knives, bowls, cups and plates. Period. The remaining amount gets packed away. If, for example your SO hasn't washed any of his allotment of 2 cups, he's out of luck; he can drink from a dirty cup or wash them. It really nips that business of "I'll just keep taking out more dishes to dirty up."

We do that in our house.  It works out well.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12071 on: May 31, 2013, 08:18:09 AM »
We once hid the cups in our house to keep my boys from using a new cup each time they wanted some more water.  ::)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

audhs

« Reply #12072 on: May 31, 2013, 01:18:15 PM »
We once hid the cups in our house to keep my boys from using a new cup each time they wanted some more water.  ::)

My dh grew up with a dish washer and thinks nothing of using a new glass what seems like 20 times a day.  He also gets in these moods where he's determined to keep everything clean and then put my glass the moment I've finished drinking.

Then he has days where I find 10 half finished drinks around the house. Lol. Ahhhhhh!!!!

I grew up washing everything by hand so our goal was to always minimize the amount of work.  :)

Emmy

« Reply #12073 on: May 31, 2013, 10:40:06 PM »
I hate when I buy a cleaning product that comes in a spray bottle only to find the bottle is defective when I go to use it.  I know I could return it and get my money back, but it is a huge inconvenience to make an extra trip to the store.  Usually it means I put off my cleaning until I get back there.  I have ants around my house and purchased some natural ant killer.  Of course the bottle doesn't work and I don't know whether I saved the receipt.  The ants get to live another day.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12074 on: June 01, 2013, 07:14:35 AM »

My dh grew up with a dish washer and thinks nothing of using a new glass what seems like 20 times a day.  He also gets in these moods where he's determined to keep everything clean and then put my glass the moment I've finished drinking.

Then he has days where I find 10 half finished drinks around the house. Lol. Ahhhhhh!!!!

I grew up washing everything by hand so our goal was to always minimize the amount of work.  :)

We have a dish washer as well, but as my friend pointed out to them, the more it has to be run, the more electricity and hot water need to be used, which means less money for fun things.  That and it just doesn't make sense to get a whole new cup when you're going to be drinking the same thing.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata