Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1682196 times)

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #12090 on: June 03, 2013, 03:17:11 PM »
Oh okay, so it's not just my glasses that are dust magnets? :)  Not to mention my toddler wants to yank them off my face when I'm holding him.

Mine are usually okay to wipe once a day (unless I get something splattered on them, of course) but I hear you on that last part.  DD was okay for the first few months, probably because I think she assumed they were just part of my face.  Then one day she snagged them and pulled them off...and suddenly Mommy has a cool toy that she absolutely must have.
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #12091 on: June 03, 2013, 03:32:36 PM »
Did you get any particular coating on the lenses? I have the most trouble with dust, lint and fingerprints if I wear a pair with Transitions or anti-reflective coating.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12092 on: June 03, 2013, 03:41:27 PM »
Did you get any particular coating on the lenses? I have the most trouble with dust, lint and fingerprints if I wear a pair with Transitions or anti-reflective coating.

I didn't pay for anything extra, so I don't think they have any special coating on them.  I just got Target's "best lenses" that come standard.  I have a microfiber cloth that came with my camera that I also use on my lenses.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

audhs

« Reply #12093 on: June 03, 2013, 03:45:04 PM »

I didn't pay for anything extra, so I don't think they have any special coating on them.  I just got Target's "best lenses" that come standard.  I have a microfiber cloth that came with my camera that I also use on my lenses.

Some ofyourproblem isjustgetting used to you glasses. I've been wearing them most of my life and I find that when ever I get a new prescription I spend the first few days cleaning them all the time, noticing everything.  After a while I go back to cleaning once a day.  Well except now as I have a 7 month old who loves to grab. ;)

mmswm

« Reply #12094 on: June 03, 2013, 03:46:17 PM »
My glasses get almost opaque before I clean them.  I'm terrible about it.

In other things that drive me nuts; my clothes are all too big for me.  This is a good thing, really. I've lost 17 pounds and almost 6 jeans sizes.  I started out at a 20.  16's are a little too big, but I can't quite get into 14's yet.  Even though I'm thrilled with the weight loss, the fact that I can't find a darned thing to wear tonight (first real "date", with an actual man who's picking me up and paying the tab and everything) is driving me insane.  I don't want to go out and buy new stuff because I don't plan on stopping the weight loss until I lose another 83 pounds.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12095 on: June 03, 2013, 03:47:22 PM »
Ahh okay, I suspected that might be part of it because of the people I've known who have worn glasses for years, they don't take off their glasses and constantly clean them. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

EmmaJ.

« Reply #12096 on: June 03, 2013, 03:52:17 PM »

In other things that drive me nuts; my clothes are all too big for me.  This is a good thing, really. I've lost 17 pounds and almost 6 jeans sizes.  I started out at a 20.  16's are a little too big, but I can't quite get into 14's yet.  Even though I'm thrilled with the weight loss, the fact that I can't find a darned thing to wear tonight (first real "date", with an actual man who's picking me up and paying the tab and everything) is driving me insane.  I don't want to go out and buy new stuff because I don't plan on stopping the weight loss until I lose another 83 pounds.

Congratulations on both the weight loss and a date!  Woohoo! 

I'm also wondering about that - I'm doing very well right now on my diet and have lost enough so that my clothes feel looser, but not enough to buy a whole new wardrobe.  What am I supposed to do when I do lose a substantial amount but still not at my goal weight?  Start pinning things?  Alterations?  Suspenders?   :D  It's actually quite a happy problem for me.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #12097 on: June 03, 2013, 04:09:30 PM »
Another congratulations, mmswm!

stkatie00

« Reply #12098 on: June 03, 2013, 04:12:04 PM »

I'm also wondering about that - I'm doing very well right now on my diet and have lost enough so that my clothes feel looser, but not enough to buy a whole new wardrobe.  What am I supposed to do when I do lose a substantial amount but still not at my goal weight?  Start pinning things?  Alterations?  Suspenders?   :D  It's actually quite a happy problem for me.

I would recommend buying a few things in your current size-it doesn't need to be a full wardrobe, but check out sales, or resale shops, or places like TJ Maxx or Marshall's, because having clothes that FIT is an awesome thing, and really helps keep the weight loss going! Or, if you have a close friend in a similar size where you are now, see if she'd be willing to loan you a few things. I've got a couple of friends who are my go to people as we all fluctuate up and down-our clothes get passed around to each other all the time, as needed. Congrats on the weight loss!

Shalamar

« Reply #12099 on: June 03, 2013, 04:34:56 PM »
My 16-year-old daughter sometimes drives me insane when we watch movies as a family.  About three weeks ago, she personally requested Raiders of the Lost Ark, which was fine with me - it's one of my favorite movies.   She proceeded to text throughout the entire thing, which was a little annoying, but whatever - we were in our livingroom, so it's not like her phone was going to bother anyone.

Last night we watched Hot Fuzz, and I said in delight "Ooh, I'd forgotten that Paul Freeman is in this movie, too!"  "Who's that?" she asked.  "He played Belloq in Raiders of the Lost Ark."  "Who?"  "The French guy who was Indiana Jones' enemy."  "What French guy?"  Exasperated, I said "Remember when Indy was chased by the big boulder, and he came out of the cave, and there was a guy standing there who said 'Doctor Jones - once again we see that there is nothing you can possess which I cannot take away.'"  "What boulder?"

I gave up at that point.

mmswm

« Reply #12100 on: June 03, 2013, 04:47:50 PM »
Thanks for the congrats and the tips!  I reread what I wrote and I missed a very important phrase.  This is my first real date in several years.  The single-mom-of-medically-needy-kids gig doesn't leave much time for dating. I'm probably freaking out needlessly, but I've been ripping my closet apart trying to find anything that doesn't look like a tent.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

KimberlyM

« Reply #12101 on: June 03, 2013, 05:09:32 PM »
Thanks for the congrats and the tips!  I reread what I wrote and I missed a very important phrase.  This is my first real date in several years.  The single-mom-of-medically-needy-kids gig doesn't leave much time for dating. I'm probably freaking out needlessly, but I've been ripping my closet apart trying to find anything that doesn't look like a tent.

I'm down 40 of the 50 I needed to lose...I've found Goodwill to be a godsend!  All my in-between clothes have come from there with little expense and no regret when I take them back because they're too big!

KimberlyM

« Reply #12102 on: June 03, 2013, 05:11:39 PM »
Oh okay, so it's not just my glasses that are dust magnets? :)  Not to mention my toddler wants to yank them off my face when I'm holding him.

Mine are usually okay to wipe once a day (unless I get something splattered on them, of course) but I hear you on that last part.  DD was okay for the first few months, probably because I think she assumed they were just part of my face.  Then one day she snagged them and pulled them off...and suddenly Mommy has a cool toy that she absolutely must have.

I'm blind at home most of the time.  I just take my glasses off when I get home to keep toddler fingers off them!

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #12103 on: June 03, 2013, 05:15:33 PM »

I'm blind at home most of the time.  I just take my glasses off when I get home to keep toddler fingers off them!

I've been tempted!  But scattered baby and cat toys + no glasses could = disaster.  ;)
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #12104 on: June 03, 2013, 06:04:57 PM »

Every so often, buy yourself something that fits you well at that time.  That way you always have something that fits your body and makes you feel good.