Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1617989 times)

Dazi

• like the flower
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #12105 on: June 03, 2013, 07:17:01 PM »
Thanks for the congrats and the tips!  I reread what I wrote and I missed a very important phrase.  This is my first real date in several years.  The single-mom-of-medically-needy-kids gig doesn't leave much time for dating. I'm probably freaking out needlessly, but I've been ripping my closet apart trying to find anything that doesn't look like a tent.

This is what clearance racks, thrift stores, and consignment stores are made for.  If all else fails wear a dress with a large belt and pin it smaller in the back with a couple of safety pins, cover the pins with the belt...ta-da.  Heck, sometimes just the belt works.

I'm kind of in the same boat in the clothes department...finally had to go buy new undergarments, been going to thrift stores every couple of weeks, and I had to buy new shoes (my feet shrunk too).
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #12106 on: June 03, 2013, 09:49:28 PM »
So, this is going to sound a bit silly.  It drives me kind of nuts when people say I look just like my mother.  There's nothing wrong with my mothers looks, but I do not resemble her...or I resemble her so little it's not apparent  we are related. 

Those who have met us or known are separately are completely flummoxed when they find out we are related.  The most common reaction is "Holy crap, she's your mom?!?!  I would have never guessed.". 

Heck, even my mom agrees we don't look alike...other than both being vaguely short and brunettish.  We have different builds, eye shape, eye color, hair color, lips shape, nose, ears, cheekbone structure, skin color.

I just find it annoying when people just keep going on and on and on or tell me every time I see them how much I look like her.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12107 on: June 03, 2013, 10:04:48 PM »
So, this is going to sound a bit silly.  It drives me kind of nuts when people say I look just like my mother.  There's nothing wrong with my mothers looks, but I do not resemble her...or I resemble her so little it's not apparent  we are related. 

Those who have met us or known are separately are completely flummoxed when they find out we are related.  The most common reaction is "Holy crap, she's your mom?!?!  I would have never guessed.". 

Heck, even my mom agrees we don't look alike...other than both being vaguely short and brunettish.  We have different builds, eye shape, eye color, hair color, lips shape, nose, ears, cheekbone structure, skin color.

I just find it annoying when people just keep going on and on and on or tell me every time I see them how much I look like her.

That makes sense to me.  I once was told that I look like my mother's youngest sister.  I just do not see it at all. In fact, besides being short, I don't think I resemble anyone on my mother's side of the family. 

It's kind of funny too, once when I was working at a doctor's office, my mother came in because I'd forgotten to leave the boys carseats at the daycare on a day when she was going to take them (this was of course before the cut direct) to their house.  When she left someone asked me who that woman was.  She was surprised when I said "That's my mother" and told me she didn't see the resemblance.

However when I showed someone else a picture of my best friend but didn't tell her who it was at first she said "Is this your mom?"  And that's not the only time people have guessed that we're mother and daughter.  Just a few weeks ago in Ocean City one saleslady, when addressing my boys, said "Mom and Grandma are looking for something pretty for themselves!" 

I don't even think we look that much alike, and it's probably just because of our age difference, as she is 22 years older than I am.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

lilfox

« Reply #12108 on: June 03, 2013, 10:40:34 PM »

I had this same reaction the one time DH mentioned in passing that I look like my mom.  We have a few of the same mannerisms, sure, but from a strict appearance perspective, we're not even close.  The only common factor is our eye color; we have very different coloring, facial structures, and body types.  No one else has ever said we look anything alike, and probably no stranger or acquaintance would - I really think DH was seeing the similar mannerisms.  It still bugged me, because I had to think: has he stopped "seeing" what I really look like?   :-\

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #12109 on: June 03, 2013, 10:45:04 PM »
I work at and attend my university. Every summer, there is a research academy which is limited enrollment, and provides research experience necessary for getting admitted to graduate school.

I applied for the academy in February, and received an email in March that I was not selected.

I check my student email tonight, and see that I have not only been accepted, but I have prerequisite homework!  ::)
My coworker checked her e-mail at the beginning of conference, then we were talking at the end of conference. The principal had sent an appointment for her summative conference (huge deal and he is way late Thursday is the last day of school) at 12:21 - the appointment was for 12:30. She got the message at 12:55, we have to pick up kids at 1. Then he is gruff with her about how he has to leave campus for the rest of the day and they will have to reschedule. He was 20 min lat for mine.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #12110 on: June 04, 2013, 07:18:03 AM »

I had this same reaction the one time DH mentioned in passing that I look like my mom.  We have a few of the same mannerisms, sure, but from a strict appearance perspective, we're not even close.  The only common factor is our eye color; we have very different coloring, facial structures, and body types.  No one else has ever said we look anything alike, and probably no stranger or acquaintance would - I really think DH was seeing the similar mannerisms.  It still bugged me, because I had to think: has he stopped "seeing" what I really look like?   :-\

I'm so glad it's just not me.  My DH pointed out that my mom and I have a few similar mannerisms, but there wasn't much of a resemblance otherwise.  Maybe people are picking up on that??  Seriously, the most common reaction I get is along the lines of "no way is that your mom".  Truthfully, I don't resemble anyone in my immediate family.  Someone I know told me they thought I must look like my dad, until I showed them a picture.  My brother often gets mistaken for my husband or boyfriend (I wish I was joking on that one).  Now that I think about it, my brother doesn't really resemble any of our immediate family either, though he has the body/posture/attitude/mannerisms of a few uncles...and he's got the freckles.

Just a side note, one of my DH's really great friends called him up just before we were married to tell him he'd seen me out to lunch/shopping with this really nice looking young man and he thought he should know because we seemed "friendly" towards one another.  Yeah, apparently my brother hugging me in public was me getting friendly with some young guy.  DH thought it was hilarious. He thought I was out with a male friend of mine (which he wasn't concerned about either) until his friend said the guy had black hair...then he figured out brother.

Emmy

« Reply #12111 on: June 04, 2013, 07:40:41 AM »
Somebody else had pointed out that they hate websites that have most or all the links under construction and I can totally relate to that.  It is especially annoying if you click on a page and it says 'coming soon'...just as it did two years ago.

On a similar note, I saw a meetup group that caught my interest.  The meetup page had an explanation of the group, e-mail address, info they wanted from prospective members, ect.  I read some reviews which were very positive about the group.  I sent an e-mail to the address provided with the information requested only to get an automatic reply that the group has been disbanded on March 31.  There was absolutely no indication that the group was disbanding or they were not looking for new members.  Why can't they just update their page and say they are not accepting new members?

Cami

« Reply #12112 on: June 04, 2013, 08:40:03 AM »
I joined an organization a few months ago. It is national with state chapters. I was more interested in the national conventions as they are big and have tons of activities. The state events are small and in my experience here, people are generally not that friendly to newcomers, so I was really debating about whether I wanted to attend any state events or not.  Then...The very first email I got from the state chapter president said only, "Here is a list of our upcoming activities. If you don't attend one of them and have a good time, it's your own fault!"

Wow, did that last line did drive me crazy. It's not friendly or welcoming. It does NOTHING to make me want to come to a meeting where I'll know no one.

I really feel like writing her back and telling her that if she wants to grow her chapter, she might want to find ways to welcome and encourage new members to come to events and meet people. But then I thought that the words and tone were so peremptory and unwelcoming, that maybe they don't want new members, just new money.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #12113 on: June 04, 2013, 08:48:46 AM »
I work at and attend my university. Every summer, there is a research academy which is limited enrollment, and provides research experience necessary for getting admitted to graduate school.

I applied for the academy in February, and received an email in March that I was not selected.

I check my student email tonight, and see that I have not only been accepted, but I have prerequisite homework!  ::)

I read both emails carefully, and there was a reply requested if not attending, so I didn't reply. My phone rang mid-day yesterday with one of the administration staff chastising me for not responding!  :o

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #12114 on: June 04, 2013, 09:36:07 AM »
DD's dramatic eating. Last night she decided she didn't like raspberries (I gave her two!!) and she took at least 15 minutes to finish them. (She had to eat them to go back outside and play.) She also made "gross" faces while eating them, dramatically poured herself a glass of water to "chase" the berries with, took a bunch of small bites instead of just one, and sighed a lot. After she finally finished them, DH let her go outside.

He could not figure out why I was upset--his argument was that he remembers being a picky eater, and that we should just tolerate it. OK. I get that people don't like certain foods, but DD is FIVE. She needs to learn to try different foods and suck it up--it was TWO berries, it's not like I made her finish a whole pint. She loves other fruit, she just decided to be dramatic. And you can not like food without the drama. And sorry, picky eaters are not allowed in my house. I make a point to not make food I know she dislikes (and there was pineapple at the table, and I know she doesn't like that, so didn't make her take any), but she has to take at least a couple bites of everything that makes it to her plate.

Plus, I'd just come home from a full work day, an hour at the grocery store, and then made dinner. To have her make nasty faces at it was just too much. And then to have DH tell me I was the one overreacting? Argh. Yeah, we had a long talk about it afterward.

cwm

« Reply #12115 on: June 04, 2013, 09:45:10 AM »

I get told I look just like my mom all the time. The thing is, I do. And my grandmother. And my great-grandmother. I once found a picture of my mom in high school, and my first thought was that I'd never owned a shirt like that before...

It still gets old. Every time we see extended family, the people who are her generation (mom's) or my generation always say how much I look like my mom, and how much she looks like her mom, and how much grandma looks like dearly departed great grandma, and isn't it great that I know exactly how I'll age?

I mean, on the one hand, yeah, it's nice and all because if I follow the trend, I'll age gracefully and beautifully, but on the other hand, I'm glad I don't have children of my own to pass down that annoying phrase.

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #12116 on: June 04, 2013, 10:08:40 AM »
Oh, also--the latest Game of Thrones episode. I realize not everyone who watches the show read the books, but there is a radio talk show host here who just keeps raving about it, how genius the show is because of what happened this week, how the show is revolutionary for writing it that way, etc. Except--the show is very much based on the books. While the way the major plot points are reached in the show differ from the book, the plot points (so far) have stayed the same. So it's not brilliant, revolutionary TV writing--it's brilliant, revolutionary book writing.

Sigh. Or maybe I'm just having an irritable week :P

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #12117 on: June 04, 2013, 10:11:22 AM »
Oh, also--the latest Game of Thrones episode. I realize not everyone who watches the show read the books, but there is a radio talk show host here who just keeps raving about it, how genius the show is because of what happened this week, how the show is revolutionary for writing it that way, etc. Except--the show is very much based on the books. While the way the major plot points are reached in the show differ from the book, the plot points (so far) have stayed the same. So it's not brilliant, revolutionary TV writing--it's brilliant, revolutionary book writing.

Sigh. Or maybe I'm just having an irritable week :P

There was a tweet that LeVar Burton retweeted from the Reading Rainbow account last night that killed me - "People that are so shocked about GoT - "Take A Look, It's In A BOOK"!!!

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #12118 on: June 04, 2013, 10:50:54 AM »
DD's dramatic eating.  ((snip))

*snicker* Oh, man, you just reminded me of my little nephew's dinner dramas!  ;D His dad let him get away with eating nothing but 'squishies' (sandwiches, with fairly limited filling choices), so when my sister and her kids came over for Christmas last year, Sis and Mum decided that they were going to use "Grandma's house has different rules" to enforce some better eating habits, with the hope that they'd stick after they went home. Basic stuff like "we all sit at the table until everyone's finished; we all eat the same food; if you don't want it you don't have to eat it, but you can't get anything else, and you can't grizzle about it". Everyone else was warned to ignore any drama.

The first three dinners, as soon as his plate was put in front of him he smacked his hands over his eyes and did the most hilarious fake crying act I've ever seen a three-year-old pull! It was hysterically funny!  ;D Every so often he'd peek out between his fingers to see if anyone was about to crack, and when all he saw was people eating happily and talking to one another he took his hands down and pouted... until one of my nieces made the mistake of asking him whether he wanted to try a bite of his dinner, and the hands went up again and the keening "ooo hooo hoooooo" started. *snickersnickersnicker*

By the time they went home a couple of weeks later, he was cheerfully eating dinner with everyone else and no complaints, and I hear it stuck... but wow, it would have been annoying if I'd had to deal with it myself for months (and with his dad undermining everything I did to correct his behaviour!) instead of just watching the show for a few days.  :P
"Set aphasia to stun!"

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #12119 on: June 04, 2013, 11:43:50 AM »
Sigh. He tries, but sometimes he encourages the picky eating without realizing it. The other night I noticed DD had a large-ish pile of strawberries on her plate. I'd made a fruit salad with strawberries, cherries, bananas, peaches, apples, and blueberries. I asked DH if he'd picked out all the strawberries when he served her.

DH: No.
Me: Well, why does she have only strawberries?
DH: Well, there was mostly strawberries in the scoop I had. And then I took out the blueberries and other stuff.
Me: So...you did pick out all the strawberries.
DH: No, I just told you, I didn't!

Yeah...it still counts as "picking out the strawberries" if you remove everything that's not a strawberry.  ::)