Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1623005 times)

Shalamar

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #12120 on: June 04, 2013, 01:02:01 PM »
Speaking of Game of Thrones (sidebar:  I haven't read the books yet, but I'm an avid viewer of the show, and I watched Sunday's episode with my mouth hanging open):  someone on my Facebook page posted "To all you non-readers who are still in shock over the most recent episode - newflash, (really big spoiler)!"   (The spoiler in question was related to the episode but revealed something that is still to come, probably next season.)  I was horrified, and one of her other friends said "Um, was that an actual spoiler?  Because if so, I'm going to be really upset."  She got very defensive and finally did the whole "I'm going to take a vacation from Facebook" thing - which always strikes me as "You guys are mean to me, so I'm taking my toys and going home."

girlysprite

• I like big books, and I cannot lie
« Reply #12121 on: June 04, 2013, 01:29:58 PM »
Speaking of Game of Thrones (sidebar:  I haven't read the books yet, but I'm an avid viewer of the show, and I watched Sunday's episode with my mouth hanging open):  someone on my Facebook page posted "To all you non-readers who are still in shock over the most recent episode - newflash, (really big spoiler)!"   (The spoiler in question was related to the episode but revealed something that is still to come, probably next season.)  I was horrified, and one of her other friends said "Um, was that an actual spoiler?  Because if so, I'm going to be really upset."  She got very defensive and finally did the whole "I'm going to take a vacation from Facebook" thing - which always strikes me as "You guys are mean to me, so I'm taking my toys and going home."

I read the books, and if she revealed what I think she revealed, she needs an hour in the hands of the guy who tortures greyjoy.

Another thing that drives e up the wall: sometimes I can't open ehell. Page will load and load, and then I get an error. No idea why it happens.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #12122 on: June 04, 2013, 02:31:43 PM »
I have noticed that between 8 - 10 AM EST. I don't know if it is server issues or what, but I don't even try most mornings.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12123 on: June 04, 2013, 04:42:33 PM »
I have noticed that between 8 - 10 AM EST. I don't know if it is server issues or what, but I don't even try most mornings.

I'm on CDT, so it's 7AM to 9AM. It was like that sometime back, then they redid stuff* and it was fine for awhile, now it's closed down at those time again.

*Our color choices are gone, and the nifty seasonal banners are not there anymore. That doesn't bug me, but I do kind of miss them.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #12124 on: June 04, 2013, 05:37:56 PM »
DD's dramatic eating. Last night she decided she didn't like raspberries (I gave her two!!) and she took at least 15 minutes to finish them. (She had to eat them to go back outside and play.) She also made "gross" faces while eating them, dramatically poured herself a glass of water to "chase" the berries with, took a bunch of small bites instead of just one, and sighed a lot. After she finally finished them, DH let her go outside. ......

One of my friends has a teen son who doesn't do the Drama Queen thing but makes smart-aleck comments instead.  One time back in the winter he made a point of announcing he didn't like gravy by saying "You know my policy on gravy."  As if his mother doesn't already know this from the recent past.

The second time he made this remark was on the next dining occasion when I was passing the gravy boat.  I told him "That does not require an announcement; you merely pass the gravy boat to your father."  I have no idea whether this worked for the long term or whether he will change his mind about gravy by the next time I encounter the two in the same dining room.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #12125 on: June 04, 2013, 06:31:27 PM »
That would not end well for DS should he behave that way. However, he is much more adventurous than I am as far as food.

Redsoil

« Reply #12126 on: June 05, 2013, 10:47:53 AM »
Girlysprite & Co., I'm having the same problem here, with Ehell not loading.  Once upon a time, it was only around 11pm Aussie time for an hour or so.  Now, it seems like more often than not!  Any hour, for long periods of time.  Driving me up the wall!  No other site I go to has any problem at all, but this one obviously has something peculiar in its makeup that causes it to "hang" no matter what one tries. 
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Stranger

• diligo ergo sum
« Reply #12127 on: June 05, 2013, 12:50:44 PM »
I hope I haven't mentioned this before :-)

People who chew with open mouths. It drives me *nuts*, and my children don't have one friend who eats properly. Their mothers eat the same way, so they must think it's normal, but.... yuk!!

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #12128 on: June 05, 2013, 02:16:58 PM »

People who chew with open mouths. It drives me *nuts*, and my children don't have one friend who eats properly. Their mothers eat the same way, so they must think it's normal, but.... yuk!!

There also my issue, misophonia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misophonia ), which is intense irritation/rage at many sounds made by other people. Growing up, I'd yell at my sister to stop chewing so loudly - now, we watch TV while we eat most of the time, so I don't hear it, or we eat at noisy restaurants. It is a real thing - and it certainly makes me feel like screaming.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #12129 on: June 05, 2013, 03:07:50 PM »
My sister just did one of those things that makes me SO GLAD we don't live in the same state.

I'm admitting, I've had a sort of rough week, and a rough day today especially. Among other things, my lunch plans got cancelled, and because I'd had plans, I didn't bring lunch with me, like I do 99% of the time. I said something to that effect on Facebook. My sister, who uses her Facebook exclusively to complain about her job, her coworkers, and the fact that having a kid means she can't have fuuuuuunnnnnn anymore (defined by her as drinking and scrabble with people she's only casually acquainted with) asked me if I wanted some cheese with my "whine, whine, whine, whine".

Like I said, it's a good thing she doesn't live in my state. I'd be over there with a cluebat so fast....

Dr. F.

« Reply #12130 on: June 05, 2013, 03:16:44 PM »

There also my issue, misophonia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misophonia ), which is intense irritation/rage at many sounds made by other people. Growing up, I'd yell at my sister to stop chewing so loudly - now, we watch TV while we eat most of the time, so I don't hear it, or we eat at noisy restaurants. It is a real thing - and it certainly makes me feel like screaming.

I didn't realize this was a thing! I certainly have it as well.

Shalamar

« Reply #12131 on: June 05, 2013, 03:20:15 PM »
There also my issue, misophonia

Mine too.  All these years, I've been complaining about sounds that other people either don't hear or aren't bothered by, and they've been all "... seriously?  That bothers you?  Get a life, why dontcha?"  I'm fairly relieved that this condition actually has a name.   There's no treatment for it, but at least I know I'm not alone.

Sounds that drive me bonkers when my co-workers do them at their desks:

- Chewing (even quiet chewing)
- Sniffling
- Throat-clearing
- Repetitive pen clicking
- Constant giggling
- Whispering
- Singing
- Whistling
- Humming

Heck, even the sound of TYPING can sometimes be a trigger, and I work in I.T.  I have a co-worker (the constant giggler I mentioned above) who types very loudly.  It's hard to describe.  She also drums her very long fingernails on her keyboard when she's thinking, which is often.

Phew, that felt good.   :)

Carotte

« Reply #12132 on: June 05, 2013, 03:26:22 PM »

Oh I know how you feel, I have hyperaccousis and that comes with a bad side of misophonia when it acts up. Mild case the rest of the time.
I'm ok with people chewing when I'm eating myself, but if someone starts eating something next to me when I'm not, I have to drown the noise asap.

The last classical concert I went to I couldn't enjoy myself, there was a loud breather/snorter behind me. It's a miracle my eyes didn't fall out from all the eye-rolling and that my grip didn't leave a mark on the armrest.
That's why I'll always wear earplugs to the movies, 'light' ones are enough to drown the little noises around you and you can still enjoy the movie.

ETA, I'll confess here that I often picture myself suckerpunching those that make my trigger noises. Helps me keep my sanity, weird because I don't condone this kind of action at any time.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 03:30:04 PM by Carotte »

cwm

« Reply #12133 on: June 05, 2013, 03:26:39 PM »
There also my issue, misophonia.

That explains a lot about my sister. She has this thing with mouth breathing or with something my dad used to do. She'd get irrationally mad and start yelling about things when nobody else noticed them.

Personally I have a problem when someone's twitching their legs. I have to frequently fight the urge to put a hand on their legs to still it. It's so distracting I've actually tried to banish my sister to the back seat of the car during a road trip because the weather was turning bad and I needed to concentrate on driving. She didn't find it at all to be a valid excuse and wouldn't go. So she ended up driving.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12134 on: June 05, 2013, 03:29:21 PM »
The older I get, the louder everything seems to be.  There are some stores I don't even venture into because the music is so loud.  Out at the pub - a place intended for conversation over dancing - the music is so loud, you have to shout to be heard.  Same with a lot of restaurants; some just the result of really poor acoustics.  I was at a ball tournament and one of my teammates put on his stereo in his truck.  I had to ask him to turn it down.

Get off my lawn!
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario