Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1624779 times)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #12195 on: June 13, 2013, 10:22:45 AM »
When a family of four spend a good hour or so browsing our library's selection, leisurely choosing the books they want, having been informed several times that we're closing at X time, which is fast approaching, and then they come up to the desk at X minus thirty seconds and mention that, oh yeah, they don't have library cards and have to be signed up. Then after that takes them several minutes past closing time they want to go downstairs to sign the kids up for the summer reading program, which takes a few more minutes. And then when a departing coworker tries to herd them out the downstairs doorway they decide that, no, they'd really like to go out the upstairs door. So they walk very slowly up the stairs and out the front door, which deposits them about 20 feet from where the downstairs doorway would have put them. And then, of course, they start walking away towards the downstairs exit. Which means that at the end there they wasted their own time as well as mine.

Very nice people, every one of them, but holy crap did they annoy the snot out of me. It's like they were playing a game and they got extra points for the longer they got to stay in the building after closing. There actually are people who seem to get their jollies keeping us past closing, but these folks were just terminally clueless. They still managed to delay us later than anyone has in years, though, from a combination of us trying to give good customer service and me constantly thinking "Surely they'll leave now. Right?"

When I followed them up the stairs at the end, the mother kept sneaking glances at me. I think she thought I was rude for following them, but I had to make sure they actually exited the stinkin' building before I could start closing everything down. I just know they're going to think staying late is normal the next time they come in.
When I was at the museum I would tell people If I don't set the alarm on time the company calls the cops, no I can't call they are to assume any call is under duress.

One thing that drove me mad was "false alarms". We were one of the first Hilton Hotels ever built. There was a club on the top floor. There were 2 sets of doors from the 1st floor garage. One went into our gallery, was a double door with the glass painted blue but for some bizzare reason had an awning with "Cactus Hotel". The other  opened into the hallway. One one side was our gallery. The other the gift shop/Picture book Library but was the main entrance to the building from the garage. It did not have an awning.

______________blue double door__________________double door to hall_________

Drunks would show up for the club and start pulling on the locked double door. To be blunt the security on this door horrible. Even with it locked, YOu could rip it open. Even with a bike lock wound around the handles you could pull hard enough to trip the alarm. Thing was if the drunks were not still standing there pulling on the door - we got a ticket for false alarm. Even when I could show the cops the door had been ripped open I got "you must not have locked it right.

My boss was ticked AT ME. So finally I had him and some board members come to the museum, put the lock on, set the alarm. I went outside and ripped the door open. Then they put it on tighter, I ripped the door open. Finally one of the board members, who knew I was right all along had the strongest guy there put on the lock - then had her 12 yo daughter rip the door open. They said they would look into replacing the door. I left to move home shortly after. (The other thing was if you tapped the glass with metal - like keys it would set off the glass break sensors)

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12196 on: June 13, 2013, 10:54:59 AM »
When a family of four spend a good hour or so browsing our library's selection, leisurely choosing the books they want, having been informed several times that we're closing at X time, which is fast approaching, and then they come up to the desk at X minus thirty seconds and mention that, oh yeah, they don't have library cards and have to be signed up. Then after that takes them several minutes past closing time they want to go downstairs to sign the kids up for the summer reading program, which takes a few more minutes. And then when a departing coworker tries to herd them out the downstairs doorway they decide that, no, they'd really like to go out the upstairs door. So they walk very slowly up the stairs and out the front door, which deposits them about 20 feet from where the downstairs doorway would have put them. And then, of course, they start walking away towards the downstairs exit. Which means that at the end there they wasted their own time as well as mine.

Very nice people, every one of them, but holy crap did they annoy the snot out of me. It's like they were playing a game and they got extra points for the longer they got to stay in the building after closing. There actually are people who seem to get their jollies keeping us past closing, but these folks were just terminally clueless. They still managed to delay us later than anyone has in years, though, from a combination of us trying to give good customer service and me constantly thinking "Surely they'll leave now. Right?"

When I followed them up the stairs at the end, the mother kept sneaking glances at me. I think she thought I was rude for following them, but I had to make sure they actually exited the stinkin' building before I could start closing everything down. I just know they're going to think staying late is normal the next time they come in.

The library in which I worked was considered the best of its type in the Western Hemisphere.  As a result, we would get dedicated readers who'd take a day or two off from work and visit us once or twice a year.   

These folks would be outside the door at 8:30 when the library opened at 10 AM.  They didn't realize that librarians have  things to do besides talking to enthusiastic readers who can only come to the place once or twice a year. 'Every extra moment I can spend here is precious'.

The end of the day was equally bad.  Ten minutes before we closed, they'd show up with literally 200 pages of photocopying to be done.  Of course, they'd be battering you with questions while you were
trying to make the copies and keep track of the cost.  when these people came in you could never get out of work on time.

the worst of the worst had to be the one who showed up with a laundry list of references she wanted to see 15 minutes before we closed on Christmas Eve.  She had made no reservation to use the library but was sure that we were closing 'to spite' her because we were Christian and she followed the kemitic faith. 

Daquiri40

« Reply #12197 on: June 13, 2013, 11:18:18 AM »
When I ask one of my bosses or a coworker a question and instead of explaining something to me, they reply "its common sense".

Yeah it may be common sense to those of you that have worked here for years, but its not for me who has worked here for one month. 

I had a co-worker who said everything was common sense.  No it isn't!  Common sense is knowing when to come in out of the rain, or don't smash your thumb with a hammer, or that fire is hot, etc.  Knowing that the pink slip gets filed with the green ones on Tuesday, is not common sense!  Knowing that a nut washer is used with a 5/16" bolt is not common sense!  That drives me crazy!!

Hillia

« Reply #12198 on: June 13, 2013, 05:38:09 PM »
Those stupid cartoons and jokes that show all marriages as a man groveling at the feet of a nagging woman, handing over his money/credit cards so she can blow all 'his' money on manicures etc.  My FIL loves these, thinks they're hilarious, sends a few of them out a month.  They bother me particularly because I have always, in the 25 years I've been working, been the main breadwinner in my home.  That's ok with me; I have different skills, had different opportunities, and I would never hold that over DH's head.  But I supported us entirely for 2 years so he could go to school, and my salary is what allowed us to move to our dream location and buy our dream house, and FIL is fully aware of that.  And every woman I know contributes financially to the household, whether by working outside the home or by being a SAHM and giving up quite a few manicures in order to save money for groceries, kids' activities, family hobbies, etc.  Makes me nuts.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #12199 on: June 13, 2013, 05:46:55 PM »
This isn't so little, though:  When FB invades everything by asking if you want to sign in through it.  This connects everything you do online and makes it easy for anyone to check up on you.  As annoying as it is to remember six different passwords for six different IDs on different sites, what I watch on YouTube or post here is only the business of whom I choose to make it.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #12200 on: June 13, 2013, 06:59:25 PM »
May be TMI, but here goes...

I am a person who needs 8 hours of sleep to function well. I can make do with 7 hours, but snything less than that really impacts the next day negatively.
Sometimes I go to bedca bit late due to all the household chores, sometimes my DH goes to bed a bit late due to many different reasons. And then he suddenly gets all cuddly, and I know what certain types of cuddly mean. Tellimg him 'I need to sleep' must be the most unromantic thing ever, but it's the truth! Still, it sort of upsets him to hear that.
It drives me up the wall at such moments, knowing that I'll have to upset him and be annoyed by it.

And yeah, I told him to wath the clock and go to bed early for cuddles, but 'he doesn't like to plan these things'. Well, deal with rejection then.

"I'm tired, I'm going to bed, love you, good night *muah*" does NOT mean "Yes, I would love to push myself to stay awake a little bit longer despite that we've been doing nothing for the last hour.  Sounds like a perfect time for you to make a move."
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Hillia

« Reply #12201 on: June 13, 2013, 07:28:59 PM »
DH does this and it makes me nuts.  He likes to stay up late, past midnight, gaming with his buddies.  I get that this is how he socializes with his friends, since they live a long way off.  Stay up, have fun, but don't come in to bed at 2 am and want to get frisky, then be surprised when I'm Not Interested.  He complains that he feels rejected and unloved; well, when you wait til you've finished hanging with the bros to pay attention to me, I feel a bit second fiddle-ish.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Betelnut

« Reply #12202 on: June 13, 2013, 08:16:28 PM »
My laptop at home will be chugging along with fast internet connection but the second the laptop's fan kicks in...the connection slows down noticeably and it is just no fun to surf the net.
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #12203 on: June 13, 2013, 08:58:26 PM »
May be TMI, but here goes...

I am a person who needs 8 hours of sleep to function well. I can make do with 7 hours, but snything less than that really impacts the next day negatively.
Sometimes I go to bedca bit late due to all the household chores, sometimes my DH goes to bed a bit late due to many different reasons. And then he suddenly gets all cuddly, and I know what certain types of cuddly mean. Tellimg him 'I need to sleep' must be the most unromantic thing ever, but it's the truth! Still, it sort of upsets him to hear that.
It drives me up the wall at such moments, knowing that I'll have to upset him and be annoyed by it.

And yeah, I told him to wath the clock and go to bed early for cuddles, but 'he doesn't like to plan these things'. Well, deal with rejection then.

Pod

As for library patrons being there all day and not signing up till you wanted to go home...
I worked at a library and we had patrons come up to use with a pile of books asking to join 2min after kick out.
I loved my boss. she told them we would hold the books and to come back tomorrow. We were instructed that we were not to start signing anyone up with less than 5mins to close.

I loved that job.
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

diesel_darlin

« Reply #12204 on: June 14, 2013, 12:56:48 AM »
When I ask one of my bosses or a coworker a question and instead of explaining something to me, they reply "its common sense".

Yeah it may be common sense to those of you that have worked here for years, but its not for me who has worked here for one month. 

I had a co-worker who said everything was common sense.  No it isn't!  Common sense is knowing when to come in out of the rain, or don't smash your thumb with a hammer, or that fire is hot, etc.  Knowing that the pink slip gets filed with the green ones on Tuesday, is not common sense!  Knowing that a nut washer is used with a 5/16" bolt is not common sense!  That drives me crazy!!

Exactly! One coworker was going on and on about how things were common sense, and when I explained that no, its not, she thought she had upset me. I said not at all, but you have to understand that just because its second nature to you, doesnt mean it is to everyone else. She then talked about how she had ran a cash register for 20 plus years. I said well I have ran one for 14, but not one like this one. People learn new things every day. :)

PeterM

« Reply #12205 on: June 14, 2013, 02:22:47 AM »
As for library patrons being there all day and not signing up till you wanted to go home...
I worked at a library and we had patrons come up to use with a pile of books asking to join 2min after kick out.
I loved my boss. she told them we would hold the books and to come back tomorrow. We were instructed that we were not to start signing anyone up with less than 5mins to close.

We're allowed to do that, and we do in some situations. We try to go ahead and help in most cases, though, and normally it doesn't bite us like that.

Tonight we closed at 6. We still had a few people around right before that, but not too bad. I was getting antsy about flipping the sign to "Closed," but it was only 5:58 and I didn't want to jump the gun. Then I looked over and my coworker was flipping it, with a look on her face that clearly indicated, "It's six o'clock somewhere."

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12206 on: June 14, 2013, 09:05:35 AM »
My allergies. I am allergic to dust (major) and anything and everything that's green and grows. Most of the time, I sneeze, sniffle, cough, and have watery eyes, which my allergy meds may or may not work on. But not bad enough to make me stay home from work or anything like that.

This year, I have a new allergy "event" my skin, which has always been dry, sensitive etc. will get itchy for no reason. All over. My leg will itch, then my arm, then my back. I get that i have really really dry skin, and i should put lotion on every day. But i ahte the way it makes me feel, and when its hot, it makes me sweat. So today I'm having a bout of the itchies, and have slathered about half a bottle of lotion on, which still isnt' helping. I know in a day or so it will be gone, but darn it, its ANNOYING. My CW told me to try Sarna, so I'm going to get some of that when I leave and hopefully it will help.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #12207 on: June 14, 2013, 11:14:18 AM »
The increasing trend among my friends of having TWO bachelorette parties. It started out with people having either a shower or a bachelorette, but not both. Then they started having both. Then the bachelorette turned from dinner and drinks with the girls to an entire weekend out of town. Then it became the entire weekend out of town plus a second night with dinner and drinks.

Three times this summer it's been an entire weekend out of town plus a second night of dinner and drinks with a stay in a local hotel and a lingerie shower. The bridesmaids always justify this by saying "It's the bride's special time and she deserves something unique!"

Congratulations on finding somebody special and deciding to spend your lives together. Seriously, I'm happy for you. But that does not mean you're entitled to essentially four weekends of my life and all of my "fun" money for the summer.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12208 on: June 14, 2013, 04:27:52 PM »
Kids that insist on sitting in the tube slides at the park when there's a line forming of kids who would like to go down.  They will often just look right at you like "what do you want?" and when asked politely to give other kids a turn they will go down but they do it nice and slowly.   
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12209 on: June 14, 2013, 08:58:38 PM »

We had the 'common sense' problem with someone whose job title was 'Director of Technical Services'.  This was back in the late 1980s.  Most of us were rather new to using computers.  We were also working mainly with RLIN (the Research Libraries Information Network).  Those who have worked with RLIN knows that it was not a particularly user-friendly system. 

There were often problems but the lady I'll call Carol answered every question with the 'common sense' response.  This was also always accompanied with the an Asian 'Little Lotus Blossom' giggle.  Since I'd married into a Chinese family, that didn't have much effect on me. 

She was being paid big bucks to be Director of Technical Services but wouldn't lift a finger to help us.  Carol lasted about a year.