Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1298371 times)

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #12405 on: July 02, 2013, 09:51:47 AM »
Antiperspirant that does nothing.  It's the "Clinical strength" version, which is supposed to have the same content of antiperspirant agent as the prescription stuff.  I even followed a recommendation to wait for a while after a shower to apply (and apply in the evenings before bed), and no luck.

Botox shots are kind of a last resort, but I'm getting there...
have you tried anti-perspirent esigned for men? they seem often to be more effective.

I finally realized that any kind of scent in my antiperspirant made me stink, so switching to unscented did the trick for me.

Hubby's deodorant works better than mine. :P Which also reminds me of something that drives me up the wall: the fact that the only deodorants I've found that do a good job and last all day are also the ones that set off my asthma!!! >:(
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Redsoil

« Reply #12406 on: July 02, 2013, 10:45:29 AM »
I wonder if that sign deliberately has a flaw in it, to illustrate the theme of "good enough" (ie:  not perfect).  :)
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

TeamBhakta

« Reply #12407 on: July 02, 2013, 03:27:22 PM »
When a celebrity does an interview about "Oh my gosh, I have never smoked / used nannies or babysitters / met so-and-so in my entire life. I would never!" Especially when multiple pictures and videos of the celebrity doing quite the opposite are well known among their fan base  ::)

Shalamar

« Reply #12408 on: July 02, 2013, 05:11:04 PM »
Or when the very slender celebrity (usually a woman) says "I never diet.  I eat junk all the time!  I had a cheeseburger and fries for lunch, and I never exercise!"  Uh-huh.  I ain't buying it.

I like Hugh Jackman's attitude.  He's very up-front about the fact that he has a special low-fat diet when he's going to play Wolverine, and he has to work out for something like six hours a day.  He's gone on record as saying that this is highly unusual for him, and he only does it to look like, well, THAT.

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #12409 on: July 03, 2013, 09:04:04 AM »
Or when the very slender celebrity (usually a woman) says "I never diet.  I eat junk all the time!  I had a cheeseburger and fries for lunch, and I never exercise!"  Uh-huh.  I ain't buying it.

I like Hugh Jackman's attitude.  He's very up-front about the fact that he has a special low-fat diet when he's going to play Wolverine, and he has to work out for something like six hours a day.  He's gone on record as saying that this is highly unusual for him, and he only does it to look like, well, THAT.

I think there are so many that say that, that there have to be some liars, but there really are some (younger) celebs that can manage that in their 20s, at least. Aside from when she was pregnant, my mother was teeny tiny with a horrendously junky diet. It caught up with her in her mid-thirties, but it does happen. It's all about metabolism. Too bad I didn't inherit that from her.

Cami

« Reply #12410 on: July 03, 2013, 10:42:23 AM »

I think there are so many that say that, that there have to be some liars, but there really are some (younger) celebs that can manage that in their 20s, at least. Aside from when she was pregnant, my mother was teeny tiny with a horrendously junky diet. It caught up with her in her mid-thirties, but it does happen. It's all about metabolism. Too bad I didn't inherit that from her.
Yeah, when I was in my 20s, I could eat fatty junk food all day long with no results. In my 30s and early 40s, I had to watch my fat intake somewhat. Then menopause happened and let's put it this way -- I was once quite sick for 2 weeks and barely ate. My doctor was astonished that I put on 5 pounds in those two weeks. She kept saying, "This cannot be happening!" But it was.  It's the same for all the women in my mother's side of the family. We're skinny minnies until menopause hits and then BAM!

audhs

« Reply #12411 on: July 03, 2013, 11:05:17 AM »
When you're having a conversation with someone and they disagree with you and to prove their point they add random extra facts.

L
Eg, your discussing went a child is old enough to stay home  alone and they add well if they have special needs then that's way too young.    :o.  And then I'm left confused because well of course there exceptions but that's not what we were talking about.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12412 on: July 03, 2013, 11:49:51 AM »
When you're having a conversation with someone and they disagree with you and to prove their point they add random extra facts.

L
Eg, your discussing went a child is old enough to stay home  alone and they add well if they have special needs then that's way too young.    :o.  And then I'm left confused because well of course there exceptions but that's not what we were talking about.

That happens on this forum all the time.  Drives me bonkers.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #12413 on: July 03, 2013, 11:57:38 AM »

L

That happens on this forum all the time.  Drives me bonkers.

Yes.  I have seen posters say they, personally, don't like something and get jumped on by posters who translate that as "I don't like it so nobody else should do it ever".  I hate that.

Dr. F.

« Reply #12414 on: July 03, 2013, 12:26:15 PM »
I waffled on whether to put this here or in the SS thread, but decided that it's their SSness that drives me up a wall, so it belongs here.

People who are behind you at an intersection, and thus CANNOT see the traffic that you can, and then get all bent out of shape, honking and waving,  that you don't pull out into what looks to them to be a gap, but is in reality nothing of the sort. I've run into several of these recently. I'm not an overly cautious driver - if I'm not pulling into traffic, there's a reason!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12415 on: July 03, 2013, 12:37:53 PM »
I waffled on whether to put this here or in the SS thread, but decided that it's their SSness that drives me up a wall, so it belongs here.

People who are behind you at an intersection, and thus CANNOT see the traffic that you can, and then get all bent out of shape, honking and waving,  that you don't pull out into what looks to them to be a gap, but is in reality nothing of the sort. I've run into several of these recently. I'm not an overly cautious driver - if I'm not pulling into traffic, there's a reason!

Yes. Just past my complex I have to turn left at a traffic light. There are two lanes each way, and a very slight incline, so if I'm the first car waiting to turn, i sometimes cannot see past teh car in the left lane, to see if anyone is behind them, or going to come around and go straight. so i sit and wait. and 9 times out of 10, get honked at. Sorry, but I'm not going to get t-boned becasue YOU think i need to turn.

snowflake

« Reply #12416 on: July 03, 2013, 01:06:24 PM »

L

Or when people bring up their "special status" to make their opinion more valid.  When that "special status" is a very general category.  For instance, "As a woman, I believe."  Um, let's see, I've got those parts too and and I don't agree with you. 

Snooks

« Reply #12417 on: July 03, 2013, 02:57:47 PM »
People who are proud of their ignorance.  I'm not just talking about the people who "brag" that they're bad at math or whatever, but the people who will chime in on a conversation about a TV show or famous person with a smirk and "Who?" when they're basically conveying "I don't stoop to such lowly pursuits, so I'm blissfully unaware of your silly pop culture."

(Just to be clear, I don't mean people genuinely asking for more information about something.  I'm talking about the smug eye-rollers I've had the misfortune to encounter.  Sadly, I've even seen this attitude in RIP Celebrity threads in other forums.  Ugh.)

Look, I don't watch reality TV or read about the Kardashians, either.  That doesn't make me a better person than those who do.  Just different.  It's even more absurd when I see it online, because then the person is also telling everyone that they have no idea how Google works.

I didn't realise you knew my uncle.  He manages to add an extra layer by getting snotty if you look something up and give him information.  An example being we went to a stately home and were talking about it on the way home, he said something like "I wonder why that room was painted blue", we'd bought the guide book and my mom was reading it later that evening and said "Oh Bob the room was painted blue because the owner was obsessed with the sea and the room was supposed to make you feel like you were underwater".  Bob replied "Are you not allowed to wonder about anything in this [my parents'] house?  :o

Cami

« Reply #12418 on: July 03, 2013, 03:46:00 PM »
I don't know if this qualifies as "little" but it did drive me up the wall. I was in Target for quite some time the other day and there was a mother there with her 3 year old daughter and her adult sister. Every 90 seconds (yes, I timed it), the little girl would let out an ear-splitting shriek. It was so loud, you could -- honestly -- hear her across the entire store. After about 15 minutes of this nonsense, I found myself next to them in an aisle. She is shrieking over and over. The mother looks at me no doubt pained expression and shrugs, "What can you do? Kids!" I said, "There's plenty you can do. Make her stop or take her out of the store."  The mother's sister cracked up and said, 'I've been telling you for 15 minutes that you needed to make her stop because it's bothering other people. Now maybe you'll listen!"

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #12419 on: July 03, 2013, 03:55:28 PM »
People who are proud of their ignorance.  I'm not just talking about the people who "brag" that they're bad at math or whatever, but the people who will chime in on a conversation about a TV show or famous person with a smirk and "Who?" when they're basically conveying "I don't stoop to such lowly pursuits, so I'm blissfully unaware of your silly pop culture."

(Just to be clear, I don't mean people genuinely asking for more information about something.  I'm talking about the smug eye-rollers I've had the misfortune to encounter.  Sadly, I've even seen this attitude in RIP Celebrity threads in other forums.  Ugh.)

Look, I don't watch reality TV or read about the Kardashians, either.  That doesn't make me a better person than those who do.  Just different.  It's even more absurd when I see it online, because then the person is also telling everyone that they have no idea how Google works.

I didn't realise you knew my uncle.  He manages to add an extra layer by getting snotty if you look something up and give him information.  An example being we went to a stately home and were talking about it on the way home, he said something like "I wonder why that room was painted blue", we'd bought the guide book and my mom was reading it later that evening and said "Oh Bob the room was painted blue because the owner was obsessed with the sea and the room was supposed to make you feel like you were underwater".  Bob replied "Are you not allowed to wonder about anything in this [my parents'] house?  :o

I think my stock answer would be "to annoy you, Bob."

"I wonder why they painted the room like that?"
"To annoy you, Bob."