Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1638676 times)

EmmaJ.

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #12435 on: July 04, 2013, 11:44:24 AM »
Along those same lines, when recipes call for brand names instead of just listing the ingredient. For instance, "1 cup of Hellmann's" instead of "1 cup mayonnaise".

I had some old recipes passed down to me that called for Spry.  Thank goodness for Google! It was a popular brand of vegetable shortening from the 1930's.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12436 on: July 04, 2013, 12:35:28 PM »
When I write out my recipes, I use a generic in the list and put what brand/style I use in brackets.  So I would put:  1 cup lard (I like Tenderflake)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Tea Drinker

« Reply #12437 on: July 04, 2013, 01:10:48 PM »
I agree on the specific store thing when they're saying "you must go to Pat's Fancy Spices on Old Street in Our Town." And sometimes people are saying "Hellman's" either because they got the recipe from the company in question, or because they're using it as a generic, the way people say "kleenex" to mean "tissues."

Other times it matters: there are plenty of places I can get peppercorns or thyme, but if the recipe calls for "Penzey's Singapore spice blend," it's going to be a bit of work to reconstruct without that. Many good cooks can manage it either after tasting the recipe, or get close enough from the ingredients list on an empty jar of that spice blend, but not from a television program that just says "Penzey's Singapore spice" or doesn't give you even that much of a hint. (I'm using that example because I happen to have it in my kitchen.)
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

mmswm

« Reply #12438 on: July 04, 2013, 01:29:43 PM »
New irritation: Drivers who insist on honking and cat-calling me when I run.  I run on the streets around my house.  Part of my route takes me along a major road; a road that's popular with the truckers who are moving produce out of the area (I'm surrounded by farmland and plant nurseries).  It's also the major N/S non-toll/non-expressway route out of this area and into the next county north. It's a busy road, but I only have to be on it for four blocks, and it has a very wide paved shoulder and an even wider grassy shoulder, so I'm comfortable running on it.  Still, every dingdangity man who passes me now feels the need to honk or shout out a rude remark.  I didn't have this problem 35 pounds ago.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12439 on: July 04, 2013, 04:08:40 PM »
When you get overcharged at a store. Yes, i didn't look at my receipt, but i didn't have any reason to think there was any issue. Got charged 9.99 twice for paper towels. if it was a couple dollars, i'd let it go but since its more, i have to make time to go back and have it taken care of,.

Xandraea

« Reply #12440 on: July 04, 2013, 08:14:09 PM »
When you get overcharged at a store. Yes, i didn't look at my receipt, but i didn't have any reason to think there was any issue. Got charged 9.99 twice for paper towels. if it was a couple dollars, i'd let it go but since its more, i have to make time to go back and have it taken care of,.

I bought 3 tank tops at Target once because the sign said "3 for $20!". I looked at my receipt as I was walking toward the door and saw I was charged $21.  I brought it to the bored-looking girl at the returns desk and said, "I know it's only a dollar, but the very large sign said 3 for $20 and I was charged $21."  She almost managed to hide the eyeroll, but opened the register and handed me a dollar.  It seems we as customers MUST pay attention to prices as things don't always ring up as they should.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12441 on: July 04, 2013, 08:22:39 PM »
When people just cannot answer a simple yes-no or choice A or B question.

We bought some salmon at the grocery store and some cedar planks to go with them.  Unfortunately I didn't realize till it was too late that you have to soak the plank for an hour.   I asked DH "Do you want to wait another hour or should I find another way to cook these?"
DH: I'd like to not waste the money.
Me: So which one? Wait an hour or I cook this another way?"
DH: Not waste the money is my choice.
Me: NEITHER ONE IS GOING TO WASTE YOUR MONEY!! If I wait an hour for the plank to soak, it won't get damaged. If I use the planks another day and use foil to cook the salmon tonight, the planks won't get damaged so which is it?"
DH: (smiling) Whichever doesn't waste money!!!!!!!!!!!

Evil pirate wanted me to pitch the planks at his head but Nice Pirate shoved her in the closet with promises of beer.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12442 on: July 04, 2013, 09:01:13 PM »
EvilMama thinks that Evil Pirate should have thwapped DH upside the head with the plank.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

TeamBhakta

« Reply #12443 on: July 04, 2013, 09:15:18 PM »
My neighbors have been setting off all remaining Civil War cannons fireworks. It's been going like this:

-Fireworks start
-Sudden rain, thunder and heavy winds stop fireworks
- Fireworks restart the minute the rain stops
- Rain, wind and thunder restart. Genius neighbors decide to stand in the rain setting off fireworks

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #12444 on: July 04, 2013, 09:21:04 PM »
I hate fireworks that just make noise!  Just had about 10 minutes of them near me and it interferes with my being able to hear the TV.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12445 on: July 04, 2013, 09:39:24 PM »
EvilMama thinks that Evil Pirate should have thwapped DH upside the head with the plank.

evilsiamesecat agrees. A good twap upside the head sometimes is needed.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12446 on: July 04, 2013, 09:41:32 PM »

I was very, very tempted but as always in these moments I remind myself that orange is NOT my color!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12447 on: July 04, 2013, 09:43:16 PM »

I was very, very tempted but as always in these moments I remind myself that orange is NOT my color!

it took me a minute to figure out what you meant. I'm a bit slow sometimes.

mmswm

« Reply #12448 on: July 04, 2013, 09:50:28 PM »

I've had many moments where I had to remind myself how bad I look in orange.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #12449 on: July 04, 2013, 10:24:06 PM »
Colorado female offenders wear maroon.  I guess that doesn't make it any better, does it?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.