Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1732223 times)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #12540 on: July 11, 2013, 07:20:49 PM »
The word "Whinge."

I know it's correct, but it always makes me want to break out the red correction pen and cross out the G.
I've never known an American to use "whinge", so it always looks wrong to me. It sets my teeth on edge.

Ditto!  This looks like an invented word to exaggerate the meaning of the original.

squeakers

« Reply #12541 on: July 11, 2013, 08:30:07 PM »
The word "Whinge."

I know it's correct, but it always makes me want to break out the red correction pen and cross out the G.
I've never known an American to use "whinge", so it always looks wrong to me. It sets my teeth on edge.

Ditto!  This looks like an invented word to exaggerate the meaning of the original.

Whinge is actually older than Whine. http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2007/03/on-whinge-and-whine.html  And they have slightly different meanings: "Though Americans use only one word, “whine,” the British use both: “whining” covers a variety of meanings, including sounds made by people, animals, or inanimate objects, and “whingeing” (also spelled “whinging”) is more specifically for peevish or fretful complaining. The British sometimes use the terms together for emphasis: “Stop your whingeing and whining!”"

I use whinge.  I'm American. 
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

diesel_darlin

« Reply #12542 on: July 12, 2013, 02:15:04 AM »
When people only contact you when they want something.  >:( Especially something that you can no longer assist with and they know that.

Pen^2

« Reply #12543 on: July 12, 2013, 02:29:43 AM »
The word "Whinge."

Whinge is actually older than Whine. http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2007/03/on-whinge-and-whine.html  And they have slightly different meanings: "Though Americans use only one word, “whine,” the British use both: “whining” covers a variety of meanings, including sounds made by people, animals, or inanimate objects, and “whingeing” (also spelled “whinging”) is more specifically for peevish or fretful complaining. The British sometimes use the terms together for emphasis: “Stop your whingeing and whining!”"

I use whinge.  I'm American.

I never knew people thought whinge was a made-up word! How bizarre. I read it in tons of classical children's literature when I was a kid. I would guess that it just isn't used much in the American vernacular at all if it were not for squeakers' response here. And squeakers is perfectly correct: the meanings are not the same. I have, for example, some tolerance of whinging, but absolutely no tolerance of whining.

I never knew that this was a thing. Until now, I thought it was a perfectly ordinary word. I use 'whinge' much more than I use 'whine'. I recall as a child reading Babysitter Club books, and thinking that the characters whined an awful lot. Now this makes a bit more sense to me: in some areas, apparently, the word 'whinge' is used so rarely that people don't think it's a real word.

Allyson

« Reply #12544 on: July 12, 2013, 03:42:42 AM »
People who complain repeatedly about the same thing endlessly. The air conditioner at my work is not good. We don't live in an extra hot place, so it's not like it's dangerous, but it's uncomfortable at times. Everyone knows this. We do everything we can to make it better for ourselves. But sometimes it is literally *all* that people will talk about. 'I'm melting!' every five seconds. Argh, we get it, it's hot!

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #12545 on: July 12, 2013, 06:50:38 AM »
People who complain repeatedly about the same thing endlessly. The air conditioner at my work is not good. We don't live in an extra hot place, so it's not like it's dangerous, but it's uncomfortable at times. Everyone knows this. We do everything we can to make it better for ourselves. But sometimes it is literally *all* that people will talk about. 'I'm melting!' every five seconds. Argh, we get it, it's hot!

I work in an old building and it's either boiling or freezing...there is no in between.  People have to dress cool all year long and make sure they have sweaters and little heaters just in case it's freezing day.  I also keep a pair of fingerless gloves, an extra shawl, a lap blanket, and a fan. I'm rarely cold, but when I am, I get really cold and my hands ache.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

perpetua

« Reply #12546 on: July 12, 2013, 06:57:13 AM »
The word "Whinge."

Whinge is a very common word in the UK and isn't invented at all.

It works both ways though, I have similar feelings about American words like "burglarized". What's wrong with "burgled"?

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12547 on: July 12, 2013, 08:04:43 AM »
I've heard an American use the word "whinge", a woman at my church who's married to an Englishman.   

And I always liked that the Dursley's lived in Little Whinging.  Seemed fitting. :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #12548 on: July 12, 2013, 08:09:52 AM »
I've heard an American use the word "whinge", a woman at my church who's married to an Englishman.   

And I always liked that the Dursley's lived in Little Whinging.  Seemed fitting. :)
The Little Whinging was deliberate - and a brilliant way to sum up that family. I agree, I love it, too!

turtleIScream

« Reply #12549 on: July 12, 2013, 09:06:21 AM »
Websites that constantly refresh in the background, resulting in minor reformatting. So, when I click on a particular link, I end up opening an ad.

cwm

« Reply #12550 on: July 12, 2013, 11:14:22 AM »
The word "Whinge."

Whinge is a very common word in the UK and isn't invented at all.

It works both ways though, I have similar feelings about American words like "burglarized". What's wrong with "burgled"?

From what I understand, burgled is the person who did the burgling, burglarized is the people whose house has been burgled.

I'm not really a fan of "whilst". I don't know why. It just...it's not a good flowing word. As weird as this is about to sound, it seems to be a very spiky word.

I also don't like it when people use "whenever" when they mean "when". There were a lot of people in college (it seemed to have been a regional thing) who did that. To me, whenever means "at every time when" instead of just "at one instance".

"Whenever I went to the gas station last week, there was an accident on *major street*." Well, I know you went to the gas station once without an accident there, I was there with you!

Pen^2

« Reply #12551 on: July 12, 2013, 11:56:03 AM »
I also don't like it when people use "whenever" when they mean "when". There were a lot of people in college (it seemed to have been a regional thing) who did that. To me, whenever means "at every time when" instead of just "at one instance".

"Whenever I went to the gas station last week, there was an accident on *major street*." Well, I know you went to the gas station once without an accident there, I was there with you!

What kind of person uses the word that way? That's ridiculously wrong!

I'm one of those annoying people who use dying words like "whom", "whence", "whither", etc. as part of my normal speech. I don't insist or expect that others use them, since they're going out of use (sadly) and it is perfectly correct to use "who" in the place of "whom". But if you are going to use these words, get them right! I know a guy who thinks "wherefore" means "whither". Argh I want to throttle him every single time he does it!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12552 on: July 12, 2013, 12:10:23 PM »
All the commercials that get shown before movies in theaters. When I went to see Lone Ranger last week, I swear there were no less than 7 trailer-like commercials and just 3 trailers shown prior to the movie.  I'd really be just fine if they were all trailers since I would rather have those than commercials.   
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #12553 on: July 12, 2013, 12:13:55 PM »
When people only contact you when they want something.  >:( Especially something that you can no longer assist with and they know that.

Especially when it's family! DH has an uncle that only contacts him for car problems, rescuing one of his five children if they get stranded in Florida, or putting up someone for the night. No more!

diesel_darlin

« Reply #12554 on: July 12, 2013, 12:39:18 PM »
Yay for hubby! ;D

This is a lady I went to college with. Since I was taking diesel, I knew the automotive instructor's. I took her to auto body myself and introduced her to everyone she needed to know to get her car painted. She messaged me on fb last night talking about it again. Ummmm go to the instructor's!  >:(