Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1735193 times)

lilfox

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #12585 on: July 15, 2013, 09:23:38 AM »
On the subject of good tools used for simple purposes...

We had house guests a while back - I mention this because I don't know which of the visitors was the perp.  One of the adults (aka someone who should Know Better) made a pan of brownies in my brand new baking pan.  I love brownies, so that part was great.  But then, that person used one of the big sharp chef's knives out of the butcher block to cut the brownies.  First of all, that's knife overkill - a butter knife would have worked just fine but those were in a drawer so i guess were too hard to get to in the apparent brownie cutting emergency. Second, whoever cut the brownies evidently expected a lot of resistance so applied sufficient pressure to dull the knife edge and leave deep gouges in my brand new baking pan.   >:(

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #12586 on: July 15, 2013, 09:48:14 AM »
I'm visualizing someone leaning on a butcher's knife, going, "Must ... defeat ... the brownies!" as they try to cut through the pan.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

perpetua

« Reply #12587 on: July 15, 2013, 10:31:00 AM »
My OH's (or STBXOH, that's still up for debate) seeming inability to read anything other than in a completely literal way.

We're currently trying to discuss some major relationship issues, via email because it's a distance relationship (although I suspect it wouldn't be any better face to face). If I say something like 'but you expect me to put up with (xyz)', his answer will be 'but I don't *expect* anything'. If I say something like 'so what you're saying is', he'll say 'But I've never said that', meaning 'those precise words have never come out of my mouth in the order that you're writing them down in this email' - he thinks i'm attributing sentences to him that he's never uttered and then we have a fight about *that* too. He's so focused on *how* I say things that he never actually addresses what I'm trying to get across to him.

I spend half my time having to explain everything, when these are common phrases well used in everyday conversation. It's like we talk a completely different language, and trying to have these discussions by saying everything in a completely literal way with no nuance or feeling is absolutely impossible. It is driving.me.round.the.twist.

Writers and engineers. Never a good mix.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #12588 on: July 15, 2013, 10:57:34 AM »
I am currently being driven straight up a tree by our elderly cat's picky pants attitude toward food.  I have to keep switching up brands because he'll suddenly decide he no longer cares for this brand or that brand.  So I can't really by in bulk and I'm forever trying to find things he'll like.  And it's not that he doesn't *want* to eat; during his "strikes," he'll hang around the kitchen hoping he'll get something more interesting.  To keep him from starving to death between store runs, I'll give him some tuna and he'll devour it.

::)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12589 on: July 15, 2013, 11:00:30 AM »
I feel your pain. 

I'm married to an engineer who who spent much of his career working with litigation attorneys.  He also testified in courts as an expert witness several times. 

This is not a great mixture for casual conversation in the home.  Deciding where to go for lunch can take more time than the lunch.  The wall calendar must be consulted to see where we've eaten lunch in the last month so we don't duplicate too often. Making a choice between Austrian and Peruvian can feel like a cross-examination. 

Still, I should consider myself lucky. I certainly don't want to cast aspersions on any particular group but an acquaintance is married to a Swedish engineer and her experience makes mine look like a walk in the park.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #12590 on: July 15, 2013, 11:09:49 AM »
I'm also utterly annoyed that I've finally been given the opportunity to drink *really* good coffee and now it's all I want.  To bad the stuff comes from Hawaii and is $25 a pound.  Coffee used to be a mere caffeine delivery system and I wasn't at all picky about the brand.  Alas, I've been ruined.

:P

ETA: *Lightbulb!*  I bet it was that $1.60 can of cat food I fed the cat in a moment of desperation that's causing my cat's issues.  I went and ruined him!   ;D
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 11:14:02 AM by 2littlemonkeys »

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #12591 on: July 15, 2013, 11:38:24 AM »
My DH's complete unawareness of major news stories.

Apparently my DH has a long lost brother. On Sep 11, 2001 I called him in the afternoon wanting to know if he still wanted to do an activity that was planned for that evening. He was clueless about why we would think of cancelling it. It's not gotten any better.

I can see someone at work early in a job were you can't listen to the radio or access the internet not knowing till the end of the day.

I was teaching. The only reason I knew anything was I was called out of my classroom to get the new vbrick (Had access to CNN's TV programming) working for the administration. During morning announcements, teachers were told that the network was down and to stay off the computers, because the admin didn't want something popping up in front of our kids (K-5). When you dropped kids off at specials or lunch (depending which you had first) you were told by the specials teacher to report directly to the office, where they broke the news. We didn't tell the kids. My 5th graders knew something was up, because they notice the large number of parents coming and going, many with kids. They thought a hurricane was forming near the coast.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #12592 on: July 15, 2013, 11:50:00 AM »
It's like we talk a completely different language, and trying to have these discussions by saying everything in a completely literal way with no nuance or feeling is absolutely impossible. It is driving.me.round.the.twist.

Driving? But you're not in a car.

(runs and hides)
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #12593 on: July 15, 2013, 12:06:31 PM »
My DH's propensity to overexplain things to me (well, anyone really, but I'm the one he does it to the most).  He'll want to tell me about some cool new fact that he's just read, but will feel compelled to recite a summary of the entire book or magazine to date, often throwing in information I will already know, like President Lincoln was assassinated.  After a five minute long recitation of President Lincoln's assassination and the currently accepted theory (really, John Wilkes Booth did it?  I had no idea!  ::) ), I've been known to ask, "So, was there a point to this, or did you just really want to tell me that Lincoln was assassinated?".  Usually there is a point, but he's gotten so caught up in trying to summarize whatever it is, that he's forgotten where he was going.  It drives me up the wall!  We both like reading entertaining or funny quotes out of books to each other, but I don't need to know the entire book or article to date before comprehending a funny thing that's mentioned!! 

perpetua

« Reply #12594 on: July 15, 2013, 12:11:18 PM »
It's like we talk a completely different language, and trying to have these discussions by saying everything in a completely literal way with no nuance or feeling is absolutely impossible. It is driving.me.round.the.twist.

Driving? But you're not in a car.

(runs and hides)

Ha! Very good  ;D

Lady Snowdon - my ex was like that, but with film plots. I used to dread the opening gambit of "Have you seen (xyz) film?" because it would inevitably be followed by a recitation of the entire plot, which would involve at least ten minutes solid talking. I learned to tune it out.

cwm

« Reply #12595 on: July 15, 2013, 12:49:42 PM »
Hanes underpants. Don't get me wrong, they're comfortable as all get-out, and they fit right too! But the tag...it's WRONG. See, the tag SHOULD be on the inside on the left. Except in these, it's on the inside on the right. With a little useless tag with the brand name on the OUTSIDE on the left.

I used to be able to get fully dressed in the dark without getting confused and swearing at my smallclothes.

o_gal

« Reply #12596 on: July 15, 2013, 01:08:05 PM »
My DH's complete unawareness of major news stories.

Apparently my DH has a long lost brother. On Sep 11, 2001 I called him in the afternoon wanting to know if he still wanted to do an activity that was planned for that evening. He was clueless about why we would think of cancelling it. It's not gotten any better.

I can see someone at work early in a job were you can't listen to the radio or access the internet not knowing till the end of the day.

I was teaching. The only reason I knew anything was I was called out of my classroom to get the new vbrick (Had access to CNN's TV programming) working for the administration. During morning announcements, teachers were told that the network was down and to stay off the computers, because the admin didn't want something popping up in front of our kids (K-5). When you dropped kids off at specials or lunch (depending which you had first) you were told by the specials teacher to report directly to the office, where they broke the news. We didn't tell the kids. My 5th graders knew something was up, because they notice the large number of parents coming and going, many with kids. They thought a hurricane was forming near the coast.

Sadly, he had no excuse like that. He's faculty at a community college and was not teaching that day. He was at home, just doing email and surfing the net, but he doesn't surf to news sites or discussion boards/groups. As I said, it's not gotten any better because he just does not clue in to current events. The plane crash at SFO happened the day we returned from vacation and I knew about it within the next day, but he still had no knowledge of it a week later.

He may or may not know that someone named Barack Obama is president of the US  ;) </joke>

Hillia

« Reply #12597 on: July 15, 2013, 01:26:15 PM »
Not mine, but my DH's.  He worked retail for several years.  His eye will still start to twitch if he hears someone say at a checkout, 'No price tag?  That means it's free, right?  Ha ha ha!'

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #12598 on: July 15, 2013, 01:29:13 PM »
Not mine, but my DH's.  He worked retail for several years.  His eye will still start to twitch if he hears someone say at a checkout, 'No price tag?  That means it's free, right?  Ha ha ha!'

I've been doing my best to break M of that habit.  Not at checkout, but while roaming around the store.  As I told M, "The first time?  Kind of funny.  But if they've been doing retail for even a month, they've heard it dozens of times."

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12599 on: July 15, 2013, 01:39:44 PM »
My DH has been driving me nuts too.  There are several controversial subjects that are frequently in the news here in the US.  Let us lump them all into Green and Purple.  DH is definitely waaaaaaaaaaay over on the Green side of the scale, so much so that he can't even SEE the Purple side.  I'm neither Green nor Purple; call me Blue, because I can usually see both sides of the issue and think that both sides have relevant points. 

DH will ask me something like "What do those Purple people mean when they say "_______"?  I attempt to explain.  Then he yells at me, not because he objects to the way I'm explaining, but because he strongly disagrees with the Purple point of view. 

I'm afraid that I was not polite the last time this happened.  I yelled back "If you can't listen to the answer that you wanted without yelling at me, then to h@ll with you and your dingdangity opinions," and left the room. 

Next time I'm going to just refuse to discuss it.   >:(   No bean dip, just "You always get mad and yell at me when this subject comes up, so I'm not going to discuss it." 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~