Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1547834 times)

snowdragon

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #12720 on: July 26, 2013, 10:23:02 PM »
The parent who will just about running up and down the aisles of walmart, lost her kid and rather than answer the child civilly - yelled at her to "keep the blank up and watch where you are going" Lady the kid is calling for you because she can't see you around the corner - and can't keep up with a running adult, because she's 4. 

It ticked me off further when sister and I stayed near the kid to make sure mom got her before anyone else and she yelled at us for our efforts.

Gotta love the people of walmart.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #12721 on: July 26, 2013, 10:53:49 PM »
Inconsistency and inefficiency drives me nuts.  Why would you walk all over the facility and claim you don't have time when you could make the walk in less than 3 trips and have an hour of time in excess?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12722 on: July 27, 2013, 11:01:14 AM »
Inconsistency and inefficiency drives me nuts.  Why would you walk all over the facility and claim you don't have time when you could make the walk in less than 3 trips and have an hour of time in excess?

I hate this too. I always try and do something while doing something else. If I have to make more than one trip to the car to bring stuff in, I try and bring something out, like trash, or stuff that goes back in the car.  and so on.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #12723 on: July 27, 2013, 06:30:43 PM »

I hate this too. I always try and do something while doing something else. If I have to make more than one trip to the car to bring stuff in, I try and bring something out, like trash, or stuff that goes back in the car.  and so on.

Ditto!  I plan it that way, too, most of the time.  I'm going to be as efficient as possible; it makes me unhappy to not be.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12724 on: July 27, 2013, 08:43:37 PM »

Ditto!  I plan it that way, too, most of the time.  I'm going to be as efficient as possible; it makes me unhappy to not be.

And then there are the times I'm doing something in one room, realize, hey I need something from the other room, get up, go in there, see something completely different, come back out, only to realize I've forgetten what I went in for!

I do this at work all the time; I'll print something out, go to the ladies room, intending to pick it up on my way back, get all the way back to my desk and realize I forogt my printings. UGH.

cabbageweevil

« Reply #12725 on: July 28, 2013, 12:32:44 AM »

I'm the very opposite -- trying consciously to be efficient-and-ergonomic, drives me round the bend. I'm (mostly) more comfortable and less stressed just fumbling along in my muddlesome, inefficient way; and overall, that seems to work best for me. Am not adversely cricticising here, you folk who are exponents of efficiency and economy of movement; just giving a perspective from the camp of those of us who are "wired" differently.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12726 on: July 28, 2013, 11:34:25 AM »

I hear you. I'm like this sometimes too. depends on my mood.  some days, i can happily putter about all day, accomplishing very little, others, i am up, out adn going, and have 10 things done by 10 am.

I'm the very opposite -- trying consciously to be efficient-and-ergonomic, drives me round the bend. I'm (mostly) more comfortable and less stressed just fumbling along in my muddlesome, inefficient way; and overall, that seems to work best for me. Am not adversely cricticising here, you folk who are exponents of efficiency and economy of movement; just giving a perspective from the camp of those of us who are "wired" differently.

PeterM

« Reply #12727 on: July 28, 2013, 01:35:03 PM »

Library patrons. All of them, full stop, if I'm being honest, but in this specific case it's the annoyingly variable nature of a particular subset of patrons that makes me want to just start thwapping everyone within reach until the men in white coats come to take me away.

Library patrons do not read signs. This is simple fact. Even the people who check out and read 100 books a week while complaining that we shouldn't even have DVDs, why don't people read anymore, they themselves reflexively read anything they see, can't help it, been that way since I was a kid, drove my mom nuts reading out all the street signs all day long. Even those people will walk right past a big CLOSED sign and express surprise when being informed that yes, as a matter of fact we closed up the library at the exact same time we've closed for several years now. And then there are the people who will overhear us dealing with a patron who didn't read a clearly placed sign, come up to mock said patron, and then demonstrate that they themselves somehow missed an even more obvious sign. Library patrons just don't read signs.

Except, of course, when they do. We've got a lovely new book return by our front door. It's an enclosed wooden box with a slot to return items through. Basically a pretty-fied maildrop. We used to have an open bin, which meant people would root around looking for movies and walk off with items that were still checked out to other people. This new bin will put a stop to that, at least most of it, and for that reason and others I like it quite a bit.

Problem is, the designer printed "Return Books Here" underneath the return slot. It's written in a brown that's only slightly lighter than the background and it's actually hard to see unless you know it's there. Which means of course that patrons who will happily walk past a 50 foot burning sign without even noticing its existence will walk up to the bin with their items and immediately see the hard to notice printing and ask if they should return their DVDs there, as well.

It's a perfectly valid question, of course, so I'm not annoyed that they're asking it. I'm annoyed that the only time they read one of our signs is when it's the one sign we want them to ignore. I'm also annoyed that they see the faint "Return Books Here" but completely miss the garish yellow "Please Return All Items Here" sign we've placed on top of the new bin.

I'm also annoyed at whoever designed the bin. Libraries have had more than just books for decades now, and this was marketed as an all-purpose return bin, not a books-only one that will go alongside an AV-only bin.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #12728 on: July 28, 2013, 09:40:28 PM »
There was a rerun of Mangum P.I. on this morning. I wasn't really paying attention, until Thomas Magnum made a comment about "When I was a kid, my mom and I moved to Tidewater, VA....When I went back as an adult, I couldn't find Tidewater. It no longer existed." Made me choke on my breakfast. Tidewater is one of the regions of VA. There is no city called Tidewater, VA.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #12729 on: July 28, 2013, 10:28:18 PM »
There was a rerun of Mangum P.I. on this morning. I wasn't really paying attention, until Thomas Magnum made a comment about "When I was a kid, my mom and I moved to Tidewater, VA....When I went back as an adult, I couldn't find Tidewater. It no longer existed." Made me choke on my breakfast. Tidewater is one of the regions of VA. There is no city called Tidewater, VA.
They could have been trying to play on a kid's misunderstanding/misremembering events from their childhood. For years because of accent differences I thought my Uncle lived in Fool's Corner. He lived in Pool's corner. When I said something - he and other family members were offended till Dad explained why a Texas kid wouldn't think that was a weird or insulting name.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12730 on: July 28, 2013, 11:24:29 PM »

Library patrons. All of them, full stop, if I'm being honest, but in this specific case it's the annoyingly variable nature of a particular subset of patrons that makes me want to just start thwapping everyone within reach until the men in white coats come to take me away.

Oh, PeterM, it just sounds like to need a really long vacation, or be assigned to the materials or processing room away from the public for a bit.

I'm so sorry you are having such a rough time dealing with the public right now. They (or we) have always been like this, and now I'm so sorry it's getting to you.

There really were some times I said that my school library would a be a great place to work if it weren't for the teachers and kids, but got over it pretty quickly. Hope you do, too.

Sincerely, Luci

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12731 on: July 29, 2013, 08:23:27 AM »
Dear PeterM,

For a bit of relief, you might want to look up some of Will Manley's books.  'The Manley Art of Librarianship' is highly recommended.  he has a hilarious essay about his endless (and fruitless) search for the perfect book-drop. It might make your day-to-day experience a little easier to bear. 

A bit of Manley could also help the reading public learn about what really happens behind the stacks.     

magicdomino

« Reply #12732 on: July 29, 2013, 10:27:24 AM »
They could have been trying to play on a kid's misunderstanding/misremembering events from their childhood. For years because of accent differences I thought my Uncle lived in Fool's Corner. He lived in Pool's corner. When I said something - he and other family members were offended till Dad explained why a Texas kid wouldn't think that was a weird or insulting name.

Or they delibrately invented a town name.  Tidewater would be a plausible name, without worrying about complaints about fans seaching for Magnum's childhood home, or the series got the general store wrong.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #12733 on: July 29, 2013, 01:26:53 PM »
People who don't do their job and you pay the consequences.

I'm supposed to be taking a big exam next week. When it was scheduled back in April, my academic adviser was supposed to file paperwork with the university and she's usually very on top of things.

This weekend I got an irritated email from the exam chair that she never received my paperwork. Of course my academic adviser left the country last week and has no email access until next month. I contacted another academic adviser who in one hour has accomplished several weeks of work and pulled strings to get my paperwork processed in 2 days, not the standard 2 months. I emailed the exam chair with the updates and I got scolded for not having done this earlier!

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #12734 on: July 29, 2013, 06:34:29 PM »
This irritant has been bugging me since Saturday. On and off, but it's like that toothache that won't go away.

When I got married, I kept my own name. I got married 30+ years ago. I am 50+ years old. Therefore I have had my birth name for 50+ years. NO ONE has ever known me by any other name. I have NEVER EVER NEVER used my dh's name in any way. NEVER EVER NEVER. 

We got an invitation to my husband's niece's wedding on Saturday. Addressed to "Mr. and Mrs. John Smith."

My dh called his sister and said, jokingly, "Who is this Mrs. John Smith? I don't have a wife named Smith."
SIL giggles and says, "Well, a wedding is a formal occasion."
DH glowers and says, "Yes, it is. What does that have to do with Cami's name NOT being Smith?"
SIL: "But it's a formal occasion. Therefore she HAS to use your name."
DH: "Whaaat? It's not her name. Never has been. She's never used it. And if you'll notice, every check sent to your kids -- including the one getting married? Yeah, that one too, has been signed by Cami with HER last name."
SIL: "BUT a wedding is a formal occasion. She has to use your name or it's not proper!"
DH: "What's improper is calling someone by a name that is not theirs. Her name is not Smith."
SIL: "But it's a formal occasion! She can't possibly use her own name because that's not proper."

So now my own name is not PROPER.  ARgggggghhhh!

I decided to check Emily Post, just out of curiosity.  You'll be pleased to know that EP agrees with you.  :)