Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1634948 times)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #12780 on: August 04, 2013, 12:02:03 PM »
I suspect this has been mentioned before, but people who use "cutesy" abbreviations etc. I have a good friend who works with a specific animal rescue group, and fosters for them. Many of her posts use "'dopton" for adoption, and things like that. drives me batty1

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #12781 on: August 04, 2013, 08:52:14 PM »
When a reality show rebroadcast has commercials for the same reality show that spoil the episode that's playing.

Maybe I haven't seen this episode yet. Maybe I'd like to see it without ruining the ending.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

PeterM

« Reply #12782 on: August 04, 2013, 11:16:25 PM »
When a reality show rebroadcast has commercials for the same reality show that spoil the episode that's playing.

Maybe I haven't seen this episode yet. Maybe I'd like to see it without ruining the ending.

I got spoiled for Juliana Marguiles' last episode of ER in a similar way. The last commercial break before the final act had a spot for the local news, which was touting its interview with George Clooney about what it was like to come back to ER.

Except, of course, Carol didn't reunite with Doug until after that commercial. Bah.

Hillia

« Reply #12783 on: August 05, 2013, 02:05:39 AM »
Mosquitoes.  Seriously, in my ear?

(We lived in Phoenix for many years, which at least doesn't have many mosquitoes unless you live next to a house with an abandoned swimming pool.  Montana is a million times better in every respect, except for the mosquitoes.)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Cherry91

« Reply #12784 on: August 05, 2013, 07:29:09 AM »
When people talk really really softly to the point where you can barely hear them, then treat you like an idiot for asking them to repeat themselves several times.

I had a woman phone me at work who spoke so quietly I thought we were having connection issues, who then proceeded to spell every other word at me because I couldn't hear who she wanted to speak to.

I get that some people have naturally quiet voices, but please don't blame me for a problem you almost certainly have to be aware of.

staceym

« Reply #12785 on: August 05, 2013, 08:47:20 AM »
When people talk really really softly to the point where you can barely hear them, then treat you like an idiot for asking them to repeat themselves several times.

I had a woman phone me at work who spoke so quietly I thought we were having connection issues, who then proceeded to spell every other word at me because I couldn't hear who she wanted to speak to.I get that some people have naturally quiet voices, but please don't blame me for a problem you almost certainly have to be aware of.

bolded part a big pet peeve for me.

I answer the phones at work and when people call in on their cellphone and don't realize that:

1.  There is a bad connection and they keep cutting out
2.  That yeah, cool, they are talking through their bluetooth or some other hands free method - but it sounds like they are a million miles away
3.  Calling from your car means there is a lot of background noise

and then they get upset because you ask them to repeat themselves because you can't hear properly - and then the ones who get a little attitiude and speak.verrrry....sloowly   >:(
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 09:50:11 AM by staceym »

Cami

« Reply #12786 on: August 05, 2013, 10:24:47 AM »
I suspect this has been mentioned before, but people who use "cutesy" abbreviations etc. I have a good friend who works with a specific animal rescue group, and fosters for them. Many of her posts use "'dopton" for adoption, and things like that. drives me batty1
I really cannot abide adults infantilizing their language. It honestly makes my skin crawl.

The worst is "sammy" for sandwich. There is a restaurant I refuse to patronize because their sandwich section is labeled, "Sammies" and that's how the servers refer to them.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12787 on: August 05, 2013, 10:42:39 AM »
The March of the Kidlets.

In the neighborhood there are many summer day camps.  We have the YMCA camp and many houses of worship have their own. There are also youth programs in the park. 

For the most part, the children are well-behaved.  They wear matching t-shirts and walk two by two.  There are always staff members at the head and the rear of the column go keep order.  It's actually quite a sweet sight.

However, to make sure everybody gets across the street at the same time, a counselor will stop traffic while the March of the Kidlets takes place.  Unless you move off the main sidewalk,  you'll find yourself in the middle of a column. 

I understand why this is done and appreciate the care given to the children.  Still, when you have to step aside for half a dozen of these groups while going to or from the grocery, it can get annoying.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 04:34:41 PM by Thipu1 »

Specky

« Reply #12788 on: August 05, 2013, 01:57:09 PM »
When someone is speaking via a Bluetooth device and the first couple of words get cut off.

Embedding "z" in words and using "z" instead of "s".

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12789 on: August 05, 2013, 03:33:23 PM »
People who complain about things when there is a solution, or try and "tough it out" Case in point, the a/c in my bldg is notoriously flaky. I don't do heat well at all. So if its bad, i go home, or if given enough warning, just stay home, and work from there.

today, being monday, and our cheapo landlord shuts it down on weekends, it was not working. Again. On one side of the bldg. I stayed until just after 11 but I had a headache, was congested, and a tad short of breath. My boss is still there, but he stubbornly refuses to go home, yet will be the first to tell you it was "brutal" dude, i don't care if you feel you can tough it out, if its hot, i'm gone. thankfully he gives me no grief at all, and will tell me to go at the first sign of ickyness.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12790 on: August 05, 2013, 04:55:35 PM »
DH's GPS device that will echo whatever I say when I'm talking to him on the phone while he's driving.  It doesn't do it all the time but it's unnerving to hear my voice repeated back to me. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #12791 on: August 05, 2013, 08:24:16 PM »
Embedding "z" in words and using "z" instead of "s".

Do you have examples of this?
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #12792 on: August 05, 2013, 09:13:55 PM »
People who snap at me when I spell my Name and or Street Name
1. I was taught to always spell my name out when giving it

2. They managed to misspell my name on the paper work for my birth certificate (Dad caught it before the actual BC was filed). When I say misspelled I mean they put an extra e in my first name, left off an e in my middle name, and dropped an r in my last name - people are always dropping that r)

3. My street name is bizarre. The neighborhood has a thematic name - and every street is named after something having to do with that theme. It is a theme that is not common in Houston. Something winter/cold - freezing weather related. So to a lot of people they think they misheard and turn it into something they know.

4. I spent my first 5 years in a neighborhood with a mix of accents Canadian Maritime, British (but childhood in Singapore and India before being evacuated to London just in time for the Blitz), Texas German/Czech/Hill Country, and Texas Gulf Coast Region (or if you want to be specific the Houston Neighborhoods around Larmar HS and the old San Jac HS almost every Dad was from went to one or the other).  When I slow down and enunciate words - the mixed accent is very noticeable especially the Maritime part (makes since that was Mom's accent) - and switches on words. So the rock is the I talk fast with at Texas Drawl  - and the hard place is I talk slow and the accent is wonky and weird and I'm stuck.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #12793 on: August 05, 2013, 09:38:26 PM »
People who snap at me when I spell my Name and or Street Name
1. I was taught to always spell my name out when giving it

2. They managed to misspell my name on the paper work for my birth certificate (Dad caught it before the actual BC was filed). When I say misspelled I mean they put an extra e in my first name, left off an e in my middle name, and dropped an r in my last name - people are always dropping that r)

3. My street name is bizarre. The neighborhood has a thematic name - and every street is named after something having to do with that theme. It is a theme that is not common in Houston. Something winter/cold - freezing weather related. So to a lot of people they think they misheard and turn it into something they know.

4. I spent my first 5 years in a neighborhood with a mix of accents Canadian Maritime, British (but childhood in Singapore and India before being evacuated to London just in time for the Blitz), Texas German/Czech/Hill Country, and Texas Gulf Coast Region (or if you want to be specific the Houston Neighborhoods around Larmar HS and the old San Jac HS almost every Dad was from went to one or the other).  When I slow down and enunciate words - the mixed accent is very noticeable especially the Maritime part (makes since that was Mom's accent) - and switches on words. So the rock is the I talk fast with at Texas Drawl  - and the hard place is I talk slow and the accent is wonky and weird and I'm stuck.

Why?  (Pure curiosity about the impetus behind an action)

My parents used to joke when I was a kid that my full name wasn't "Sara" it was "Sara-without-an-h".  Now I just say, "Sara, no h".
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12794 on: August 05, 2013, 09:38:42 PM »
Just today.  I drove to take an exam in good weather, then of course heard thunder through the walls during the test.  Came back out and it's pouring buckets down.  Of course, I don't have an umbrella and get soaked.  And then, what always happens-you drive off in pouring rain and five minutes later, the sun comes out  ::)