Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1704450 times)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #12795 on: August 05, 2013, 09:40:53 PM »
Just today.  I drove to take an exam in good weather, then of course heard thunder through the walls during the test.  Came back out and it's pouring buckets down.  Of course, I don't have an umbrella and get soaked.  And then, what always happens-you drive off in pouring rain and five minutes later, the sun comes out  ::).

I'm actually upset when the sun comes out; that would be what drives me up the wall: a short storm without any lasting power.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12796 on: August 05, 2013, 10:07:48 PM »
People who snap at me when I spell my Name and or Street Name
1. I was taught to always spell my name out when giving it

2. They managed to misspell my name on the paper work for my birth certificate (Dad caught it before the actual BC was filed). When I say misspelled I mean they put an extra e in my first name, left off an e in my middle name, and dropped an r in my last name - people are always dropping that r)

3. My street name is bizarre. The neighborhood has a thematic name - and every street is named after something having to do with that theme. It is a theme that is not common in Houston. Something winter/cold - freezing weather related. So to a lot of people they think they misheard and turn it into something they know.

4. I spent my first 5 years in a neighborhood with a mix of accents Canadian Maritime, British (but childhood in Singapore and India before being evacuated to London just in time for the Blitz), Texas German/Czech/Hill Country, and Texas Gulf Coast Region (or if you want to be specific the Houston Neighborhoods around Larmar HS and the old San Jac HS almost every Dad was from went to one or the other).  When I slow down and enunciate words - the mixed accent is very noticeable especially the Maritime part (makes since that was Mom's accent) - and switches on words. So the rock is the I talk fast with at Texas Drawl  - and the hard place is I talk slow and the accent is wonky and weird and I'm stuck.

Why?  (Pure curiosity about the impetus behind an action)

My parents used to joke when I was a kid that my full name wasn't "Sara" it was "Sara-without-an-h".  Now I just say, "Sara, no h".

My first name is easy enough to spell but I find myself spelling it anyway or saying "It's spelled the same way as the musical".  My last name though I take more care to spell.  It's kind of a family guess that our surname's spelling was probably changed coming from Ireland and considering how people often misspell it when they guess, I can see why.  It's not even a hard one to spell but for a short vowel sound that could be one of two letters.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Specky

« Reply #12797 on: August 05, 2013, 11:40:49 PM »
Embedding "z" in words and using "z" instead of "s".

Do you have examples of this?

One example:  local nightclub or something supposed to be "Fetish" (per the radio ads)  the sign reads:  "Fetizh"

Another:  sign in produce section for raspberries "Razberriez"

The sign I wish I had taken a picture of:  "This spot reserved for pregnate laddiez."  At least they didn't turn all of the "s" into "z".
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 11:48:11 PM by Specky »

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #12798 on: August 05, 2013, 11:59:51 PM »
Embedding "z" in words and using "z" instead of "s".

Do you have examples of this?

One example:  local nightclub or something supposed to be "Fetish" (per the radio ads)  the sign reads:  "Fetizh"

Another:  sign in produce section for raspberries "Razberriez"

The sign I wish I had taken a picture of:  "This spot reserved for pregnate laddiez."  At least they didn't turn all of the "s" into "z".

And the ever-popular "/grinz"... or worse, "/grynz"

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #12799 on: August 06, 2013, 12:49:42 AM »
People who snap at me when I spell my Name and or Street Name
1. I was taught to always spell my name out when giving it

2. They managed to misspell my name on the paper work for my birth certificate (Dad caught it before the actual BC was filed). When I say misspelled I mean they put an extra e in my first name, left off an e in my middle name, and dropped an r in my last name - people are always dropping that r)

3. My street name is bizarre. The neighborhood has a thematic name - and every street is named after something having to do with that theme. It is a theme that is not common in Houston. Something winter/cold - freezing weather related. So to a lot of people they think they misheard and turn it into something they know.

4. I spent my first 5 years in a neighborhood with a mix of accents Canadian Maritime, British (but childhood in Singapore and India before being evacuated to London just in time for the Blitz), Texas German/Czech/Hill Country, and Texas Gulf Coast Region (or if you want to be specific the Houston Neighborhoods around Larmar HS and the old San Jac HS almost every Dad was from went to one or the other).  When I slow down and enunciate words - the mixed accent is very noticeable especially the Maritime part (makes since that was Mom's accent) - and switches on words. So the rock is the I talk fast with at Texas Drawl  - and the hard place is I talk slow and the accent is wonky and weird and I'm stuck.

My parents used to joke when I was a kid that my full name wasn't "Sara" it was "Sara-without-an-h".  Now I just say, "Sara, no h".

My first name is easy enough to spell but I find myself spelling it anyway or saying "It's spelled the same way as the musical".  My last name though I take more care to spell.  It's kind of a family guess that our surname's spelling was probably changed coming from Ireland and considering how people often misspell it when they guess, I can see why.  It's not even a hard one to spell but for a short vowel sound that could be one of two letters.

I do that with my last name too. Let's say it's Davidson, because like my last name, if I say it out loud, generally people will know how to spell it.

However, to relate this to things that drive me up the wall, many people misspell my name. That in and of itself isn't that annoying, really. There's a bit of a catch to it, so I give them a pass. The part that makes me really annoyed (forgive me if I've told this story before) is that one time I was spelling my name for someone, and they said, "Are you sure you're spelling your name correctly?"

Why, no, I only have it spelled that way on every document, legal and otherwise, to which I must affix my legal name. But obviously this person knows that I don't know the spelling of a name I'd had for (at the time) 19 years or so.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #12800 on: August 06, 2013, 07:58:20 AM »

Because people were always trying to tell us our last name was spelled Hebert not Herbert. Also in the south people always want to drop the e of my middle name.  With my parents' first names people were always changing Dad's name to Harry (not even close in sound- but all three of his names could be both "Christian Names" and surnames. His first name was his grandmother's maiden name (Dad was a Jr). ) and they would spell Mom's name with a J instead of a G.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12801 on: August 06, 2013, 08:20:58 AM »
People always wanted to add an R in our last name.  And while it's not common I've had my first name misspelled, usually "Anny", but most people get it right. 

My annoyance is websites that have streaming video/commercial that you cannot shut off other than to mute it.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Cherry91

« Reply #12802 on: August 06, 2013, 08:51:14 AM »
Ha ha, this thread is going to be bad for me, I can just tell.

Okay, I was reminded of this one today: people who take up more space than they need to in public areas - for example, two people walking along the middle of a path that could take three if they scooted up just a tad, and then your every attempt to say excuse me or scoot around is completely ignored. Drives me batty! One step to the side and there would be no problem!

I encountered a new version of this today - I was getting lunch, and two people were standing in front of the chiller cabinet in such a way that it was completely impossible to even see the cabinet, let alone reach it or its contents, and they seemed determined to read the ingredients list of every single sandwich before they chose anything. All attempts to get to the food were pointedly ignored. Fortunately I'm a creature of habit and knew what I wanted so I waited until they dropped their guard and grabbed my sandwich!

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #12803 on: August 06, 2013, 09:56:47 AM »
Our daughter's roommates are about to make me nuts. They have a legitimate complaint that it's taking a week to get the door fixed because of paperwork with the insurance company (it's boarded up, but not replaced - and was boarded up within a couple of hours of the break in, delayed mostly because the cops were still taking fingerprints!). They have a legitimate complaint that the stove not working is inconvenient - but they have a working oven, a working microwave, and a working sink (which was not working for months because they didn't bother to tell us the plumbing wasn't working! and fixed within a short period after they notified us). But complaining that they have to eat out all the time because they can't use the stove? Really? I cooked well with JUST a microwave for a couple of years in college - not gourmet, but good food, and they have an oven too! I'd have killed for an oven in college! Argh!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12804 on: August 06, 2013, 10:04:21 AM »
Perhaps gift them with a crockpot, some liners, and some lessons in making tasty meals in one?  Or if there's a good place for a grill, get them a smallish one and teach them to grill?

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #12805 on: August 06, 2013, 10:11:27 AM »
Perhaps gift them with a crockpot, some liners, and some lessons in making tasty meals in one?  Or if there's a good place for a grill, get them a smallish one and teach them to grill?
They have a crockpot, too, come to think of it - and a grill. They are just too.... special.... to cook except for their preferred methods.

These are the same kids that insisted we get central air, even though we had working wall air conditioners. Insisted that we had to make other repairs (well, upgrades) before they would move in. And are paying less than our mortgage payment a month for 'rent' and complain about that! Market rate for a place like they have is easily twice what they're paying - they are just being snowflake-y. I'm trying to chalk it up to post trauma reactions. I'm REALLY trying.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12806 on: August 06, 2013, 10:36:50 AM »
They have a crockpot, too, come to think of it - and a grill. They are just too.... special.... to cook except for their preferred methods.

These are the same kids that insisted we get central air, even though we had working wall air conditioners. Insisted that we had to make other repairs (well, upgrades) before they would move in. And are paying less than our mortgage payment a month for 'rent' and complain about that! Market rate for a place like they have is easily twice what they're paying - they are just being snowflake-y. I'm trying to chalk it up to post trauma reactions. I'm REALLY trying.

When we bought our first home in 1968, microwaves were not popular, and we couldn't afford to eat out or buy a stove a stove (not included in homes sales at the time), and I was pregnant at the time. We managed quite nicely with an electric skillet and an electric coffeepot, although the coffeepot wasn't fit for coffee after so much soup and vegies had been cooked in it. Somtimes the appliances had to work two shifts for one meal, but it worked. It was a glorious day when we saved enough for the stove and it was delivered 3 months later.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #12807 on: August 06, 2013, 10:58:25 AM »

Because people were always trying to tell us our last name was spelled Hebert not Herbert. Also in the south people always want to drop the e of my middle name.  With my parents' first names people were always changing Dad's name to Harry (not even close in sound- but all three of his names could be both "Christian Names" and surnames. His first name was his grandmother's maiden name (Dad was a Jr). ) and they would spell Mom's name with a J instead of a G.

Eck, yes. About half the time people want to leave the first letter off the Good Ethnic Boy's name... my first name gets about four different spellings/variations, including one that has only three out of seven letters in common with the correct one (!)... and our surname gets a double whammy. If strangers see it written, they can't pronounce it nine times out of ten, and if they hear it spoken they want to insert an extra letter. We spell our names out a LOT. :P
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12808 on: August 06, 2013, 11:23:54 AM »
I've learned, when asked for my first name, to just start spelling.  Because the second letter is not what you'd expect when I say my name and if I say it first then start spelling, they've already written the second letter down incorrectly.  Thank goodness my last name is almost as common as 'Smith'.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12809 on: August 06, 2013, 11:37:05 AM »
Our last name is only three letters long and it's pronounced exactly the way it's spelled.

Let's say it's 'Dow'.  When I was working and leaving voice mail messages I would routinely receive return calls asking for 'Ms. Delgado' or 'Ms. Dougherty'.

Spelling a simple three letter name seemed ridiculous but that's what I had to do if I was to properly receive return calls.