Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1548537 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #12810 on: August 06, 2013, 02:22:12 PM »
Why?  (Pure curiosity about the impetus behind an action)

My parents used to joke when I was a kid that my full name wasn't "Sara" it was "Sara-without-an-h".  Now I just say, "Sara, no h".
Because people were always trying to tell us our last name was spelled Hebert not Herbert. Also in the south people always want to drop the e of my middle name.  With my parents' first names people were always changing Dad's name to Harry (not even close in sound- but all three of his names could be both "Christian Names" and surnames. His first name was his grandmother's maiden name (Dad was a Jr). ) and they would spell Mom's name with a J instead of a G.

Eck, yes. About half the time people want to leave the first letter off the Good Ethnic Boy's name... my first name gets about four different spellings/variations, including one that has only three out of seven letters in common with the correct one (!)... and our surname gets a double whammy. If strangers see it written, they can't pronounce it nine times out of ten, and if they hear it spoken they want to insert an extra letter. We spell our names out a LOT. :P
Yep, got one of those surnames myself.  Most people really mangle it, to the point that I've told telemarketers "I'm sorry, there's no one here by that name."   
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

missanpan

« Reply #12811 on: August 06, 2013, 02:25:31 PM »
Most likely brought up before - on an airplane and someone decides to spray on some perfume/cologne. There's NO escape.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #12812 on: August 06, 2013, 02:35:46 PM »
Embedding "z" in words and using "z" instead of "s".

Do you have examples of this?

One example:  local nightclub or something supposed to be "Fetish" (per the radio ads)  the sign reads:  "Fetizh"

Another:  sign in produce section for raspberries "Razberriez"

The sign I wish I had taken a picture of:  "This spot reserved for pregnate laddiez."  At least they didn't turn all of the "s" into "z".

I have never seen that before. Good thing too, as it would make me very stabby.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #12813 on: August 06, 2013, 03:02:14 PM »
Eck, yes. About half the time people want to leave the first letter off the Good Ethnic Boy's name... my first name gets about four different spellings/variations, including one that has only three out of seven letters in common with the correct one (!)... and our surname gets a double whammy. If strangers see it written, they can't pronounce it nine times out of ten, and if they hear it spoken they want to insert an extra letter. We spell our names out a LOT. :P

Growing up, if a person saw my last name written out before they heard it, no one ever, in my memory, was able to pronounce it. The thing is that my maiden name was pronounced exactly as written (it's from another language, so when it was recorded in English they spelled it phonetically), but it's intimidating.  I would also have it misspelled when I wrote it out on forms and someone entered it into the computer. For some reason people are more comfortable with u's than v's

And then people want to insert an extra vowel into my first name.

I thought my spelling days were over when I married, but even my new name gets misspelled. Think Johnson. Seems like a simple, common name, right? Well apparently Johnsen is also very prevalent. So I just spell my name out.
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

Shalamar

« Reply #12814 on: August 06, 2013, 03:33:46 PM »
My last name is very similar to a well-known household item, except that my name begins with "S" and the item's name begins with "C".  They sound identical.  Because of that, people always look under "C" for my name, even after I've spelled it for them.  I once had a car rental agency tell me that I hadn't rented a car there, because they couldn't find my rental agreement in their system under "C" - despite my spelling my name THREE TIMES.   >:(  I finally hauled out my paper copy of the agreement with the confirmation number, and then she was able to find it.  No apology.

nuit93

« Reply #12815 on: August 06, 2013, 03:43:05 PM »
Most likely brought up before - on an airplane and someone decides to spray on some perfume/cologne. There's NO escape.

Unacceptable.  If they need to spray on perfume that badly, they should step outside.   ;)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #12816 on: August 06, 2013, 03:57:40 PM »
My surname is very uncommon and many people insert an extra consonant and/or a vowel in it.  This annoys me and the annoyance level increases every time I have to spell it to the same person.

Especially if that person has my business card.

Snooks

« Reply #12817 on: August 06, 2013, 04:22:58 PM »
I'm about to go double barrelled with two names no-one can spell.  That reminds me I need to get DH to check with the bank that they'll let him go double barrelled without too much fuss.

Editeer

« Reply #12818 on: August 06, 2013, 05:01:21 PM »
Embedding "z" in words and using "z" instead of "s".

Do you have examples of this?

One example:  local nightclub or something supposed to be "Fetish" (per the radio ads)  the sign reads:  "Fetizh"

Another:  sign in produce section for raspberries "Razberriez"

The sign I wish I had taken a picture of:  "This spot reserved for pregnate laddiez."  At least they didn't turn all of the "s" into "z".

Pregnate laddies . . . that's so bad it's delightful.  ;D

My very little thing: I have an unusual, old-fashioned first name. It isn't made up, it's easy to pronounce, but it's just not common. I knew a couple of people with my name in my mother's generation, but I have met exactly one other woman of my generation with my name. I'm 50, btw. There really are hardly any of us.

So at my new job, who should there be but another MyName. We work in a big open floor plan. She has the kind of job where people need to talk to her a lot. All day today, I've been popping my head up at the sound of my name, only to realize they weren't talking to me. Argh.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #12819 on: August 06, 2013, 08:43:03 PM »

Why?  (Pure curiosity about the impetus behind an action)

My parents used to joke when I was a kid that my full name wasn't "Sara" it was "Sara-without-an-h".  Now I just say, "Sara, no h".
Because people were always trying to tell us our last name was spelled Hebert not Herbert. Also in the south people always want to drop the e of my middle name.  With my parents' first names people were always changing Dad's name to Harry (not even close in sound- but all three of his names could be both "Christian Names" and surnames. His first name was his grandmother's maiden name (Dad was a Jr). ) and they would spell Mom's name with a J instead of a G.

Oh, OK, so it was taught by habit not by instruction, ie you had to spell it so many times or heard your parents spell it so many times you learned to versus "K, every time you say our last name you must spell it!".  I was confused as to why the latter would have happened.  Thank you for explaining.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #12820 on: August 07, 2013, 12:23:11 AM »
It used to drive me bats when I was a kid - my last name starts with G, which is pronounced with a hard g.  There was another family in town with a similar surname, starting with J, and pronounced as a j.  Otherwise the spelling was identical.

I was forever getting called by Other Family's surname at school.

These days, people just drop off the last letter (one of a double).  I spell it every time.  Or they add an e to my middle name.  I spell that too.  Fortunately my first name is common and 'normal' enough that I rarely get it mis-spelled, although on occasion I've been called July, Julia or Jenny.   :o

I really don't have an unusual or strangely spelled name.

mmswm

« Reply #12821 on: August 07, 2013, 12:36:56 PM »
Bruises I can't recall the origin of.  I was in the bathroom a week or so ago and noticed a good sized bruised on my thigh but I truly have no memory of when or how I obtained it.  My suspicion is bumping into things, of which I do a lot of, unfortunately.

I know this is old but I'm just now catching up on things after a longish absence.  I'm the same way.  A couple of weeks ago I noticed a fist sized bruise on a sensitive girl part on the upper body.  I have absolutely NO clue how it got there. I get them on my arms and hips and legs all the time, and at least those I figure I just bumped into things, but that one was so big and in such a weird place, it just baffled me where it could have come from.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Snooks

« Reply #12822 on: August 07, 2013, 04:22:15 PM »
Someone posting in the hugs thread reminded me of this one.  I do not care if you choose not to keep your trash can in the handy trash can sized gap next to your front door.  I am adjusting to the fact that you all insist on keeping them lined up in the car park.  But for the love of all that is holy please do not put your trash in my can just because it is next to your front door (gap is inbetween front doors).

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #12823 on: August 07, 2013, 05:09:57 PM »
Complacent officers, especially because their behavior greatly reduces my safety and security.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Tea Drinker

« Reply #12824 on: August 07, 2013, 09:05:25 PM »
I wouldn't count behavior that greatly reduced my safety as a "little thing," even if it wasn't intended to do so.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.