Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1789296 times)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #12825 on: August 07, 2013, 09:21:29 PM »
I wouldn't count behavior that greatly reduced my safety as a "little thing," even if it wasn't intended to do so.

I completely agree with you, actually.  I was about livid when I posted that; not sure why I put it in the little things folder, but it absolutely drives me up the wall.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

snowdragon

« Reply #12826 on: August 10, 2013, 01:07:19 AM »
People who tell kids that "if you don't behave that Police man will take you to jail."

Saw this one yesterday at school while getting forms in order - the cop looked at the kid and said "not for that I won't" and told mom that making her kid afraid of Cops was a *really* bad idea.

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #12827 on: August 10, 2013, 01:31:24 AM »
People who tell kids that "if you don't behave that Police man will take you to jail."

Saw this one yesterday at school while getting forms in order - the cop looked at the kid and said "not for that I won't" and told mom that making her kid afraid of Cops was a *really* bad idea.

Grrrr!  My son had a little friend in preschool whose mom insisted on threatening her son, every time he misbehaved, with calling a policeman.

Way to make a kid afraid and suspicious of a person whose job it is to help.
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #12828 on: August 10, 2013, 07:58:14 AM »
And the medical equivalent:  "If you don't behave I'll have the doctor give you a shot."

MizA

• Every day is the best day ever.
« Reply #12829 on: August 10, 2013, 08:07:22 AM »
Going to bed nice and early before an 0700 shift, taking a sleeping pill to drift off to neverland...

... And waking up at 0200, not able to fall asleep again.
)'( The world would rather hug you than hurt you )'(

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #12830 on: August 10, 2013, 08:51:47 AM »
Going to bed nice and early before an 0700 shift, taking a sleeping pill to drift off to neverland...

Argh! I know that feeling. I go into work today, and I'd hoped by going to bed at 11:00 I'd be bright - eyed and bushy - tailed come 8:00 AM. I didn't count on two thunder storms in one night, so I was half - conscious all night. Grr, Mother Nature.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #12831 on: August 10, 2013, 11:30:02 AM »

Argh! I know that feeling. I go into work today, and I'd hoped by going to bed at 11:00 I'd be bright - eyed and bushy - tailed come 8:00 AM. I didn't count on two thunder storms in one night, so I was half - conscious all night. Grr, Mother Nature.

For me it's 3 am. I hate 3 am.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12832 on: August 10, 2013, 12:10:59 PM »

My dad was a minister, and spending a lot of time in churches you hear a lot of weird stuff. I recall one mom telling her kids that if they misbehaved "Jesus would throw rocks at them."  :o

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #12833 on: August 10, 2013, 03:22:28 PM »
As a six-year-old, my brother was told by a supply teacher that "if you tell a lie, Father God will destroy you".

They had a lot of complaints about her and she didn't last long there...

TeamBhakta

« Reply #12834 on: August 10, 2013, 06:09:41 PM »
As a six-year-old, my brother was told by a supply teacher that "if you tell a lie, Father God will destroy you".

They had a lot of complaints about her and she didn't last long there...

I think that teacher was on an X-Files episode or two

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #12835 on: August 10, 2013, 10:19:13 PM »
Several ladies I know are pregnant right now.  So, I've been knitting non stop baby items with pretty much all my free time.  The other day a good friend saw me knitting and exclaimed very loudly "Oh, you're pregnant!"...cue every head in the area whipping around to me.  I could see how one could easily make the assumption since I was knitting baby items and I politely corrected the assumption and let them know that I was actually knitting for some lady friends' upcoming babies.

I did spend some of the rest of the day correcting people who heard the first part of the above conversation, but not the follow up explanation.

Now, I wasn't actually offended, but I was kind of disappointed that after losing 91 lbs now I would be mistaken as pregnant.  I absolutely do not look pregnant.  The outfit I had on wasn't weird cut or billowy looking.  <sigh>

This is what I get after opening my big mouth and saying I hadn't been mistaken as pregnant in nearly a decade. ::)
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12836 on: August 10, 2013, 10:35:23 PM »
Dazi, They just assumed you are newly pregnant, not saying you look puffy!

Ninety-one pounds? Congratulations!

Xandraea

« Reply #12837 on: August 10, 2013, 10:55:23 PM »

Dazi, I was going to say your friend probably made the assumption because of your knitting, not judging your body.  And I second Luci's congratulations on shedding 91 pounds!

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #12838 on: August 11, 2013, 08:44:47 AM »

Dazi, I was going to say your friend probably made the assumption because of your knitting, not judging your body.  And I second Luci's congratulations on shedding 91 pounds!

I know that intellectually, but was still like WHAT?!?  :P  It was one of my closest friends and if I actually was pregnant, she'd have been probably the first on the tell list after my husband and our parents.  Part of it I think is she just cannot wait to be an honorary aunt to my hopeful future children.

And thanks for the congratulations...I did have a big moment of WOW.  It was especially nice when my DH stopped dead in his tracks yesterday and told me I looked great even though I was wearing jeans and a tee shirt, had no makeup on and I'm not entirely sure I had brushed my hair.  :P
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Editeer

« Reply #12839 on: August 13, 2013, 01:17:29 PM »
My new boss's habit of canceling meetings at the very last minute. This especially drives me up the wall because the meeting she does this with most often is at 6:45 AM (my time)!

We have a global team, and I knew when I took this job (3 months ago) that there would be some early-morning and evening meetings (by phone/Web). That's OK. Having one at 6:45 AM is not to my liking,  because it requires rising 1/2 hour ahead of my usual time, and I am not a morning person to begin with--getting up early is physically difficult for me. But OK, if that's the only time that works for everyone,  I can do it. I also accept that I need to check my e-mail in the evening to see if there's anything from the team in Asia.

But my boss has 3-4 times now sent out cancellations by e-mail at 9 or 9:30 PM. I do not see them until I wake up the next morning--oh, painfully, miserably early--and log in. So I got up early for nothing.

I decided, for the sake of my sanity, to make sure I checked in by mail the evening before these meetings.

We had a meeting scheduled for this morning. Usually the boss sends out an agenda, but yesterday she didn't. So, last night, at 7:30 PM, I e-mailed my boss to ask "do we have an agenda?" She replied at 8 PM and confirmed that we were definitely meeting at the scheduled time (but the agenda wasn't ready yet). So I put my work e-mail to bed for the night, confident that I had done everything possible to ensure that (a) my workday was finished, and (b) I knew what I was doing tomorrow morning.

What do I find when I log in at 6:35 this morning? Message from boss sent at 9:30 last night canceling the meeting.

This makes me crazy. I feel that my time is not respected or valued. Further, it's as if I'm supposed to be on call 24/7. I can't ever be confident that my workday is over and I won't get something sprung on me. I would NEVER do this to my own staff.

So I am fuming this morning, again. Did I mention this has happened 3-4 times in only 3 months?