Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1832439 times)

Snooks

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #12930 on: August 24, 2013, 05:35:12 PM »
Waiting in all afternoon for a phone call and then finding out the company had no intention of returning my call before Tuesday.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #12931 on: August 24, 2013, 06:44:10 PM »
Around here the temperature drops off dramatically at night, so that it's possible to open all your windows, set fans in them, and cool the house off enough that you don't really need air conditioning.

Except last night around 2 am when I was sound asleep under my blankets, my neighbor decided to start chain smoking on his balcony, which is only a few feet from my open bedroom window. By the time I was awake enough to realize what was going on, get up, turn off the fan, and shut the window, my whole house smelled like cigarette smoke. It's taken half of today to get that smell out.

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
« Reply #12932 on: August 24, 2013, 08:36:01 PM »
This is a little petty, but I'm trying to develop the characters for an original novel I want to write (for fun, when I have time) with a questionnaire someone else created which I copied onto a Word document. I can't even answer the questions for the main girl. I have massive character block, and the questions are really deep. Stuff like "How do you view the heroes/legends of your country?" and "Do you deliberately present yourself differently in different situations, and how?"

The good thing about it though is that it really helps weed out Mary Sue/Gary Stu traits in a character. It does make the development process a pain though, because I feel like I have to write the entire novel to answer this whole questionnaire. I don't want to box myself in just yet.

Vita brevis, ars longa

Dr. F.

« Reply #12933 on: August 24, 2013, 08:55:15 PM »
Where on earth have all of my gardening shears gone? I swear I have at least 5 pairs. Could I find any of them this afternoon? No, of course not. Now, apparently, not only does my kitchen have a wormhole, but so does my garden shed. If they've turned up in some other Ehellions shed, could you send them back to me, please?

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12934 on: August 24, 2013, 09:47:01 PM »
Where on earth have all of my gardening shears gone? I swear I have at least 5 pairs. Could I find any of them this afternoon? No, of course not. Now, apparently, not only does my kitchen have a wormhole, but so does my garden shed. If they've turned up in some other Ehellions shed, could you send them back to me, please?

I have all of your gardening shears, which just keep turning up everytime I open a cabinet or move a box in the shed or garage, and I'll return them if you have all my scissors (sewing, hair, general paper, kitchen) and will return them to me, with a bonus of cellophane tape - where DOES that stuff go? Have you lost a variety of masking tape - green, beige, blue, various widths? I may have that, too.

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #12935 on: August 25, 2013, 08:13:32 AM »
I had about 20 forks I am now lucky if I can find 4.

DH's dad and his wife. oh and also DH's Grandma (on his dads side) they are behaving like children over SIL's elopement.

No one else in the family was in the least surprised she did it the way she has and we are all over the moon for her. The 3 of them have done nothing but gripe about how "they weren't invited!!!!elventy" 

It's not really an elopement if they tell people, know is us.
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

audhs

« Reply #12936 on: August 26, 2013, 04:29:46 PM »
It annoys me that school starts in a week but they have yet to post the school bus routes and times. My kids school has new earlier bell times this year and I'd really like to know what time the need to get the bus.

I get that the teachers don't go back till tommorow but the bus routes and times are made by the school bus company and the school boards main office. (At least that who we are told to contact with bussing issues, not the school directly)

I'm a SAHM so it doesn't really matter but I'm a planner so I like to know these things in advance. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to working parents. I have friends who 15 minutes earlier or later make the difference between needing before school care or not.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #12937 on: August 26, 2013, 05:26:14 PM »
I don't know how many store chains do this but the additional merchandise shelves lining the checkout lines at Marshall's really burn my tuchas.  If you had a set budget walking in and there is something there that you decide you want, you either blow your budget or you give up something you have in hand.

The other issue is that a lot of what is there is kid-targeted and while I have yet to see this I can easily imagine a kid having a melt-down in the store because Mommy refuses to buy the toy placed at his/her eye level for this temptation.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #12938 on: August 26, 2013, 06:16:25 PM »
Having something that I really REALLY want to talk about... but I can't yet. I have to wait for confirmation. It might not work out. I have to wait for months. But I want to phone all my friends and call my mother and scream happily down the phone and post to my blog and make a thread here and argh argh ARRRGH!!!!! :o :-X *flails*
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12939 on: August 26, 2013, 06:20:42 PM »
I don't know how many store chains do this but the additional merchandise shelves lining the checkout lines at Marshall's really burn my tuchas.  If you had a set budget walking in and there is something there that you decide you want, you either blow your budget or you give up something you have in hand.

The other issue is that a lot of what is there is kid-targeted and while I have yet to see this I can easily imagine a kid having a melt-down in the store because Mommy refuses to buy the toy placed at his/her eye level for this temptation.

As a friend in retail would say, they're not stupid!  They know kids will see it and beg and no doubt they've noticed enough kids winning because parents want them to be quiet.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #12940 on: August 26, 2013, 06:44:02 PM »
Oh, I'm fully aware of that.  Also that in the long term that encourages very entitled behavior.

Cami

« Reply #12941 on: August 26, 2013, 06:58:12 PM »
Oh, I'm fully aware of that.  Also that in the long term that encourages very entitled behavior.
With all due respect, in my experience, what encourages entitled behavior is parents giving into whining.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12942 on: August 26, 2013, 07:16:08 PM »
If it's a corporation, I feel bad for the employees who probably had orders to set it up this way and are probably cringing to think of the screams they're going to be hearing if a parent says no and sticks with it, or the screams that come up till the parents give in.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #12943 on: August 26, 2013, 08:52:48 PM »
It annoys me that school starts in a week but they have yet to post the school bus routes and times. My kids school has new earlier bell times this year and I'd really like to know what time the need to get the bus.

I get that the teachers don't go back till tommorow but the bus routes and times are made by the school bus company and the school boards main office. (At least that who we are told to contact with bussing issues, not the school directly)

I'm a SAHM so it doesn't really matter but I'm a planner so I like to know these things in advance. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to working parents. I have friends who 15 minutes earlier or later make the difference between needing before school care or not.
How stable is your population district wide? Kids started today - We got our list end of day Friday and that was early. Some years we have gotten the home route list less than an hour before school LET OUT on the first day. This is because we have several schools like mine with a high mobility rate. Whole populations shift as they leave Apartment Y as move in deals end and the move to Apartments Z who is running a special.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Doll Fiend

• The Dolls are in the Garden and in my Head.
« Reply #12944 on: August 26, 2013, 10:24:45 PM »
Loosing my mind as I can't find my double pointed knitting needle (1 of 5 for socks) that seemed to walk off for over an hour.

To only find that I had tucked it into my hair bun.